ADVERTISEMENT

Will Nebraska fire Frost after 0-4 start ?

What I recall in reading short biographies about both Devaney and Osborn was that they looked at the demographics (and weather patterns late in the year) and realized that they would have a very difficult time getting certain skill position players recruited to Lincoln, so they decided that the option offense, run correctly, would be the best fit, since they could find plenty of linemen from nearby and just enough RB talent from other places in the country that would recognize how productive a RB could be in that offense.

Call me crazy, but the wide-open spread offense works if you can find enough skill position (WRs) and the weather stays mild.

For example, Oregon tapped into all of that California talent, UCF is in Florida - quite possibly the #1 State for skill position talent and even Texas Tech, with plenty of talent in Texas (and good weather). Tech had/has defensive issues, but that is a different story.

I will be interested to see how this works for the Huskers in a couple of years. I do not believe they have enough linemen on either side of the ball that are ready to compete at the top levels of college football right now and may not until year 3. That might be the real test - year 3. Can they get the skill position players? Can they throw it around the ballpark in November? Can they keep their QBs healthy?

I am not a gambler, but it sounds like a very long shot to me.
This is actually a very good point- I doubt the offense will work because of the how the big ten is structured, but this is probably a more probable explanation of how this will be a flop. It is also a "flash in the pan" offense that usually is only successful for a little while and then everybody starts doing it and defenses adapt to stop that. If you speak to D coordinators that have to play Iowa (especially out of conference) it is very difficult to game plan because it is so much different that 95% of current offenses. Its like trying to game plan for an option team in a week- pretty much all "rules" do not apply anymore that were taught and also personnel is different or a DB has to play in the box that is not used to it

I don't care why he was fired. I was more suggesting that the hiring since he left has been below average. On paper, none of them were terrible coming in, but why were they less than successful at Nebraska?

Do you know what happened and why he was fired?

Man, we fired a good one, look at all the P5 offers he had since...oh, he's still at Ohio? Nevermind...

And I've participated in NONE of those threads. So, maybe just ignore this particular thread about Scott Frost and his POOR start for the
Cornholers?

That's great you haven't participated in any of the 180 threads about Nebraska that went up this week. You're still missing the point.

This horse has been beaten to a bloody pulp. Your "cute" little post is no different than the ones that preceded it. So, yeah, if you want to be part of the problem of making the rest of us Iowa fans who don't have a boner for Nebraska wade through one idiotic "Nebraska sucks" thread after the next, you can expect to be called out.

There is an Off Topic forum designed just for mental midgets like you who feel the need to jerk off to Nebraska's misery and the terrific things Donald Trump is doing. Why don't you head there? Good day to you, sir.

I don't care why he was fired. I was more suggesting that the hiring since he left has been below average. On paper, none of them were terrible coming in, but why were they less than successful at Nebraska?
Nothing is ever a sure bet, that's for sure. I think Nebraska is unique from the standpoint that it has MASSIVE support, outstanding facilities, etc. but their is no recruiting hotbed to pull from. Asking a top coach who doesn't have ties to Nebraska to come and take Nebraska back to the way it used to be wasn't going to happen. I mean, Pelini was successful, he had two near-misses in CCGs in the Big 12. In all, he played in three CCGs, never won a conference championship though. He was a great fit for the Big 12. He wasn't able to make the transition to the different play style in the B1G, some of which was ego related, some was probably lack of familiarity and lack of understanding. But the other two didn't really understand or care that much about what it meant to be Nebraska's head coach.

Callahan - IIRC, was #7 on the coaching search, it was embarrassing we had to go that far down to find the next coach, considering where the program was at the time.

Pelini - Was a great defensive coach, had zero head coaching experience, much about how he would manage a big time program was unknown, but he was a former Nebraska DC so he knew the "Nebraska Way". Had a pretty solid record at Nebraska, but his teams at the end were very fragile mentally - they were waiting for something to go wrong, and when it did, it was hard to right the ship. Hence all the routes to good programs on national TV. Also, daring administration to fire him and telling fans to F-off was what truly ended his timeat NU. Also, there were a lot of rumors swirling that he was looking to jump and that there were multiple occasions where he thought he was going to be gone, including to Miami after 2010 when Randy Shannon was fired.

Riley - he said the right things, had his hands tied and decisions dictated by a lawyer-AD, but never was all that intense about making Nebraska great. His tenure, despite winning 9 games in year two, was a mess. A meddling AD forced him to fire his DC, changed the way they tackled and worked out, if you can believe it. Pretty unreal. That is why the AD was purged at first opportunity. It was bad.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Your correct about the list being short, we have a few people who have severe Nebbie derangement syndrome. LOL I just hate the thought of Nebbie fans thinking they were right. :(
The Nebraska fans that are like the reasonable Iowa fans should hopefully understand it's not representative of the fan base. I know I've pointed out that there are their fair share of weirdos over here, similar to what the Nebraska board has, but if we're being honest we know the "weirdo/little man count" is low even though the "Nebraska" thread count on this board makes it seem like all of Iowa is obsessed with Nebraska.

Point me in the direction of the reasonable Husker fans that don't understand that over here, and I'll assist if I can. We support different teams but should that really divide decent people? I mostly support people treating other people well (I know I've had my moments where I let my frustration get the best of me). The chance if we bumped into each other is that we would enjoy talking football with one another over a beer. That shouldn't change because we're on an anonymous message board.

Last edited:
The Nebraska fans that are like the reasonable Iowa fans should hopefully understand it's not representative of the fan base. I know I've pointed out that there are their fair share of weirdos over here, similar to what the Nebraska board has, but if we're being honest we know the "weirdo/little man count" is low even though the "Nebraska" thread count on this board makes it seem like all of Iowa is obsessed with Nebraska.

Point me in the direction of the reasonable Husker fans that don't understand that over here, and I'll assist if I can. We support different teams but should that really divide decent people? I mostly support people treating other people well (I know I've had my moments where I let my frustration get the best of me). The chance if we bumped into each other is that we would enjoy talking football with one another over a beer. That shouldn't change because we're on an anonymous message board.
Agreed, I think the majority of the fans here, as well on the Nebraska site are decent people who would love to just have a good discussion about football. It's the asshats that live on both sides of the borders that make that difficult. It is those asshats that keep the derangement going. I don't personally have anything against Nebraska, or Iowa State for that matter, but it would be nice to come to the Iowa forum and not see 33% of the posts about Nebraska. ;)

Last edited:

I agree with everything you just wrote.

I enjoy having good discussions with other fan bases. I know I like to joke about many Nebraska fans who come as "visitors" sounding delusional and illiterate, and indeed we've had our fair share of those, but I recognize there are decent Nebraska fans (like you) who make football enjoyable to talk about. In fairness, I also call out fellow Hawkeye fans who contribute to the copious amount of stupidity we frequently have to wade through on here. So I'd like to say I'm consistent.

Anyhoo...

In response to your other post about the evolution of Nebraska football in the 21st Century, I always thought Nebraska made a huge mistake in trying to change from the option offense that ostensibly was such a huge staple of their success throughout the latter decades of the 20th Century to a more modern, pro-style of offense with Callahan. One, the option offense was better suited for late fall weather in the Midwest and two, because it was unique to the modern era of college football, Nebraska generally got the best position players in the country that fit their style.

I guess, too, I'm a little biased because I was part of an old school, wishbone offense when I played (do not interpret that to mean I'm old, I'm 37), and always enjoyed watching Nebraska play "back in the day." I think Nebraska trying to evolve with the times was a sad day for college football. And I don't know that they'll ever get back to the good ol' days. This is almost like the Boston Red Sox "Curse of the Bambino." Nebraska might be waiting 86 years (like the Red Sox) for their next championship. They should have never traded in their identity (old school option offense) in order to try to be more modern and hip. But that's just me.

What say you?

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Agreed, I think the majority of the fans here, as well on the Nebraska site are decent people who would love to just have a good discussion about football. It's the asshats that live on both sides of the borders that make that difficult. It is those asshats that keep the derangement going. I don't personally have anything against Nebraska, or Iowa State for that matter, but it would be nice to come to the Iowa forum and not see 33% of the posts about Nebraska. ;)

Amen.

Cheers that that. You're completely right. There are a small number of idiots on each side that run around pouring gasoline on situations and lighting them on fire.

Once I started blocking the people that are responding to me to evoke an angry response, I realized I wasn't so edgy in my reactions here. I realized that I was letting the asshats shape how I responded to most other people on the board. I'll continue to block the asshats so that I'm not one of the Nebraska asshats that contributes to a divide.

Why don't mods do something to take care of some of the clearly trolling threads? Those threads do more to make people pissed off with each other than anything else, in fact, that's the purpose of most of them.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
I agree with everything you just wrote.

I enjoy having good discussions with other fan bases. I know I like to joke about many Nebraska fans who come as "visitors" sounding delusional and illiterate, and indeed we've had our fair share of those, but I recognize there are decent Nebraska fans (like you) who make football enjoyable to talk about. In fairness, I also call out fellow Hawkeye fans who contribute to the copious amount of stupidity we frequently have to wade through on here. So I'd like to say I'm consistent.

Anyhoo...

In response to your other post about the evolution of Nebraska football in the 21st Century, I always thought Nebraska made a huge mistake in trying to change from the option offense that ostensibly was such a huge staple of their success throughout the latter decades of the 20th Century to a more modern, pro-style of offense with Callahan. One, the option offense was better suited for late fall weather in the Midwest and two, because it was unique to the modern era of college football, Nebraska generally got the best position players in the country that fit their style.

I guess, too, I'm a little biased because I was part of an old school, wishbone offense when I played (do not interpret that to mean I'm old, I'm 37), and always enjoyed watching Nebraska play "back in the day." I think Nebraska trying to evolve with the times was a sad day for college football. And I don't know that they'll ever get back to the good ol' days. This is almost like the Boston Red Sox "Curse of the Bambino." Nebraska might be waiting 86 years (like the Red Sox) for their next championship. They should have never traded in their identity (old school option offense) in order to try to be more modern and hip. But that's just me.

What say you?

Looking back at what has happened since Callahan was hired, you have a great point. I think the argument at the time was that the speed of the game had caught up with the option, and that the option could no longer create the advantages it used to. I guess, when you look at the offenses that were/are winning championships, which is right where Nebraska was at when the decision to go away from the option was at, people got desperate.

I think we traded a niche that we pretty much had a monopoly on, which could have continued to guarantee Nebraska success, although maybe not championship success, for what everyone else was doing. It takes a lot of discipline to stick with something that looks like it's losing ground when it seems like programs that are passing you by are having success with a different offensive style.

Not sure if it was the right or the wrong decision to change offensive styles, but who knows. After TO retired, they would have to find someone who knew how to coach it well to go along with continuing to recruit at a high level and also understood what the "Nebraska Way" was all about, so after TO retirement, no path was a guaranteed success. That's just my opinion, and it's mainly speculation. :)

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Looking back at what has happened since Callahan was hired, you have a great point. I think the argument at the time was that the speed of the game had caught up with the option, and that the option could no longer create the advantages it used to. I guess, when you look at the offenses that were/are winning championships, which is right where Nebraska was at when the decision to go away from the option was at, people got desperate.

I think we traded a niche that we pretty much had a monopoly on, which could have continued to guarantee Nebraska success, although maybe not championship success, for what everyone else was doing. It takes a lot of discipline to stick with something that looks like it's losing ground when it seems like programs that are passing you by are having success with a different offensive style.

Not sure if it was the right or the wrong decision to change offensive styles, but who knows. After TO retired, they would have to find someone who knew how to coach it well to go along with continuing to recruit at a high level and also understood what the "Nebraska Way" was all about, so after TO retirement, no path was a guaranteed success. That's just my opinion, and it's mainly speculation. :)

It's interesting the arguments you mentioned for the switch at Nebraska are by and large a lot of the same ones you hear pushed by Iowa fans today when Iowa isn't winning. The whole "we'd be winning more if we were sexier on offense" gripe. The problem with that theory is it's predicated entirely on circular reasoning. For Iowa, the problems haven't been so much philosophy as they have been personnel, namely the lack of talent and production at WR. I also think Iowa gets stuck in a mode of stubbornly trying to establish the run on 1st and 2nd Down instead of taking the proverbial "scratch where it itches" approach (that's a popular Hayden Fry euphemism for take what the defense gives you). In short, talent and more balanced play calling go a long way regardless of what type of offense you run.

Regardless, I understand the temptation to jump on the "time to modernize" bandwagon, although I think it's often times fool's gold. It's obviously impossible to say where the Nebraska football program would be at today had they not made that change, but I'm one who believes you can evolve with the times without completely deep-sixing your core identity. I don't know how old you are but the year Nebraska beat Florida for the NC in the mid 90s many Nebraska naysayers were predicting Florida's speed would run Nebraska off the field, as many were predicting a blowout Florida win. Lol. Wrong answer.

Last, while obviously not an option offense, Alabama's offense isn't exactly "sexy" in style either. Nick Saban has always been a run first type of coach which is why he and Lane Kiffin butted heads so much. Just saying, I think too much emphasis gets placed on these so-called modern offensive styles as a panacea, when in reality personnel, execution, and effective play calling still make all the difference. If it were all about style, Iowa State would have more than 19 wins in 5 + seasons.

It's interesting the arguments you mentioned for the switch at Nebraska are by and large a lot of the same ones you hear pushed by Iowa fans today when Iowa isn't winning. The whole "we'd be winning more if we were sexier on offense" gripe. The problem with that theory is it's predicated entirely on circular reasoning. For Iowa, the problems haven't been so much philosophy as they have been personnel, namely the lack of talent and production at WR. I also think Iowa gets stuck in a mode of stubbornly trying to establish the run on 1st and 2nd Down instead of taking the proverbial "scratch where it itches" approach (that's a popular Hayden Fry euphemism for take what the defense gives you). In short, talent and more balanced play calling go a long way regardless of what type of offense you run.

Regardless, I understand the temptation to jump on the "time to modernize" bandwagon, although I think it's often times fool's gold. It's obviously impossible to say where the Nebraska football program would be at today had they not made that change, but I'm one who believes you can evolve with the times without completely deep-sixing your core identity. I don't know how old you are but the year Nebraska beat Florida for the NC in the mid 90s many Nebraska naysayers were predicting Florida's speed would run Nebraska off the field, as many were predicting a blowout Florida win. Lol. Wrong answer.

Last, while obviously not an option offense, Alabama's offense isn't exactly "sexy" in style either. Nick Saban has always been a run first type of coach which is why he and Lane Kiffin butted heads so much. Just saying, I think too much emphasis gets placed on these so-called modern offensive styles as a panacea, when in reality personnel, execution, and effective play calling still make all the difference. If it were all about style, Iowa State would have more than 19 wins in 5 + seasons.

You make a lot of good points. The challenge is finding a balance between "this is our identity" and "take what the defense gives you". How would you like to see Iowa move forward offensively? I have a lot of respect for Iowa's willingness to stay committed to their brand of football. As you can imagine, I'm a little envious of it right at the moment. :) Good point about Saban too. A friend of mine who is a Bama fan will text me with criticisms of what Alabama is doing on offense. My first instinct is to slap him. But you're right - over the long term, football is still football, and the things that made a team successful 30 years ago are still the things that make a team successful today - execution and good play-calling.

I am 34, so I do remember the national championship and what was being said about Florida prior to the game. That was something else to watch. Florida actually came out in the first quarter and Nebraska struggled to stop the passing attack. Then about halfway through the second quarter, the wheels fall off and the Husker defense looked like a rabid dog unleashed once it sensed blood. People can joke all they want about it being 20+ years ago, but as a fan, re-watching parts of that game are still a lot of fun.

I watch all of the Iowa/Wisconsin game, and while I know it is disappointing to lose a big game like that at home, fans should be proud of the Hawks. They played hard. Wisconsin got a ton of preseason respect for a reason - just because they lost to BYU doesn't mean they're still damn good at doing what they do. They are a VERY good football team. Iowa just needs to keep pressing and good things will happen this year.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Nebraska fans are not the only species who eat their own. :confused:

Apparently Alabama does too. ;)

I thought they would too but Purdue looked really good against B.C. Made huge improvements on D. Iowa will be in a dogfight with PU also.
I thought BC was overrated coming in. Their QB is not great and he proved that against Purdue throwing 4 picks. I watched BC the week prior and they were lucky to win that game.

Reactions: Herkmeister
You make a lot of good points. The challenge is finding a balance between "this is our identity" and "take what the defense gives you". How would you like to see Iowa move forward offensively? I have a lot of respect for Iowa's willingness to stay committed to their brand of football. As you can imagine, I'm a little envious of it right at the moment. :) Good point about Saban too. A friend of mine who is a Bama fan will text me with criticisms of what Alabama is doing on offense. My first instinct is to slap him. But you're right - over the long term, football is still football, and the things that made a team successful 30 years ago are still the things that make a team successful today - execution and good play-calling.

I am 34, so I do remember the national championship and what was being said about Florida prior to the game. That was something else to watch. Florida actually came out in the first quarter and Nebraska struggled to stop the passing attack. Then about halfway through the second quarter, the wheels fall off and the Husker defense looked like a rabid dog unleashed once it sensed blood. People can joke all they want about it being 20+ years ago, but as a fan, re-watching parts of that game are still a lot of fun.

I watch all of the Iowa/Wisconsin game, and while I know it is disappointing to lose a big game like that at home, fans should be proud of the Hawks. They played hard. Wisconsin got a ton of preseason respect for a reason - just because they lost to BYU doesn't mean they're still damn good at doing what they do. They are a VERY good football team. Iowa just needs to keep pressing and good things will happen this year.

In regards to your question, balanced. Balanced is what I want Brian Ferentz to focus on moving forward.

For me, I saw a couple encouraging positives Saturday despite the loss. One, I think Iowa's offensive line coach is starting to make his imprint. Two, Brian called a good game.

Unfortunately, I saw some inexcusable gaffes that is hard not to chalk up to coaching. One, understanding when it's a good idea to gamble and when it's best to kick the field goal. Points were going to be at a premium against Wisconsin. You crack the board first and kick the field goal. Two, guys seeming absolutely clueless on special teams. When I played, when a punt would hit the turf and be allowed to roll everyone would scream to get away. Everyone would immediately turn to find the football and then get as far away from it as possible. The fact a player was even in that vicinity after the football had been on the turf that long let alone trying to still block speaks to him being poorly prepared to understand the situation.

It's those crucial and obvious coaching blunders in not only that game but others throughout Ferentz's tenure that have kept Iowa from winning a lot of games they should have.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
We have heard that Bill Moos had cocktails with Joel Klatt at Detroit MGM Grand. Every thing rests on a phone call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT