ADVERTISEMENT

Will we hear from any of our Clone friends today?

Would like to get a rivalry with Mizzou to take its place. Geographically great for both teams. A win against an SEC team is much bigger than against ISU and a lose is more understandable vs. losing to the Cyclones. Wouldn't hurt us as much and a win would help us more in rankings or when being looked at by bowl committees.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
Mizzu is to scared to play us. Their coach flat out admitted it and they proven it in the past by cancelling on us. When they had one of their greatest teams ever we took care of them with a not so great Iowa team.

Last edited:
ISU fan here, an older one so I've been following both programs for sometime. First games I ever watched in Ames and Iowa City were coached by Stapleton & Evy, long before the renewal of the series. I probably lack the
passion to get caught up in too much hoopla over the games anymore but do enjoy watching them.

ISU seems to have improved the type of players needed on defense over previous years. Offense is just not capable of any sustained success. The "spread" doesn't seem to fit their roster talent...or lack of talent.

The QB was the main factor yesterday with Beathard's escape from a "safety sack" being the biggest. I normally don't subscribe to the notion of game-changing plays but suggest Beathard's determination on that play was huge. I was very impressed with his play most of the day. I think Iowa fans will enjoy the season if Ferentz & staff don't tighten the reins on Beathard and let him do his thing.

Anyway, nice win for the Hawks. I don't lose any sleep over the game anymore like I did years ago. Have I finally matured?:)

Hawk fans thoughts on the new Jack Trice venue?

Complete opposition to dropping the series. First, its a huge event in the state of Iowa. Second, its an early season test against a team that will give you every thing they've got. Third, its as hostile a road crowd as we're going to face, also an important part of OOC scheduling. Four, the Clowns are a major conference adversary.

Finally, we're not USC or Ohio State and are never going to be. We're not playing for national seeding very often. A loss to ISU doesn't hurt any more than a loss to any other lower division major conference opponent.

Reactions: iammrhawkeyes
I want to hear more about how none of our skill players make their 2 deeps. And they take Richardson over Bethard any day at QB.

The Richardson over Beathard was pre-game chatter...don't think the post-game feelings would be the same:)

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: my team may have lost but
89 is still a hawk and all hawks lose because of it.:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Why don't you give us some links from over the weekend I4? You know you love posting what Pollard puts out. Give us the links from the Iowa-isu Soocer game, Volleyball match and Football game.

Maybe even the Iowa Corn cy-Hawk series standings would be good for a laugh.

There are some great thread from the always classy clone fans on cyclone fanatic for you to choose from as well if you would like.

More links. More links. More links.

So where did your juco RB K Williams end up at. Could find no info as to who he went with. Did not see him on roster for Rich Rods wildcats.
Your asking the wrong guy. I have no idea and don't even remember this guy if he ever was a Cyclone.

The Sleeping Dog - why should we as Iowa fans want to help the ISU program financially? You say it's "huge for the state of Iowa", but this Sat night playing an out of state Pittsburgh team will also have the Hawkeye faithful fired up - we DON'T need ISWho! I ask again - why should Iowa help to legitimize the cyclown program? If the Hawks only played them say every 2 out of 4 years, OK, but this game does NOT need to be played every year. The long-term future of the B12 Conference is bleak, particularly if Texas leaves. Hopefully, the cyclowns end up in the Mountain West, MAC, or some other lower-level conference.

Mizzu is to scared to play us. Their coach flat out admitted it and they proven it in the past by cancelling on us. When they had one of their greatest teams ever we took care of them with a not so great Iowa team.

I thought of 2010 as a good Hawkeye team that suffered some injuries and disappointed/underachieved. The bowl was catharsis.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
The Sleeping Dog - why should we as Iowa fans want to help the ISU program financially? You say it's "huge for the state of Iowa", but this Sat night playing an out of state Pittsburgh team will also have the Hawkeye faithful fired up - we DON'T need ISWho! I ask again - why should Iowa help to legitimize the cyclown program? If the Hawks only played them say every 2 out of 4 years, OK, but this game does NOT need to be played every year. The long-term future of the B12 Conference is bleak, particularly if Texas leaves. Hopefully, the cyclowns end up in the Mountain West, MAC, or some other lower-level conference.

I would like to see how Iowa is financially supporting ISU by continuing this series. In the past 10 years, there is no correlation between season ticket sales and the ISU/Iowa game being played in Ames. Yeah, it's usually a sell out, but ISU routinely sells out early season games no matter who they are playing. And let's not forget who Iowa was playing the last time they sold out kinnick.

I for one am in favor of either ending the series or going 2 out of every 4 years. Gives both teams some flexibility to schedule up or down as they see fit. The only reason I'm not totally for ending it is that Iowa is usually one of the weaker teams on the ISU schedule. Sorry, but that's how I see it...this year I would put them maybe 7th or 8th toughest out of 12 games. Last year would have been more like 9th.

If you truly believe that ISU would eventually take a 2 for 1 deal with Iowa, I don't know what to tell you. They will never sign that deal. ISU would walk away and schedule someone else. And I would be totally fine with that.

I congratulated the Hawks in another thread a long time ago.
I saw ya LC. Usually you're one of the few that congratulates Iowa after they win this game. You also don't tout ISU much from the on-field side of things. It's just about everything else that you claim ISU superiority on. ;)

I saw ya LC. Usually you're one of the few that congratulates Iowa after they win this game. You also don't tout ISU much from the on-field side of things. It's just about everything else that you claim ISU superiority on. ;)

LC is an HR staple. An interesting guy with an interesting perspective on most things, particularly Iowa-ISU. We won't agree all the time, but I'm finding new things every day that I've always been wrong about and I've learned some things from him over the years :).

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
Speaking of ISU posters I've not seen in while what happened to Cygarin. I miss his cherry picking of stats.
He's busy trying to figure out how his computers failed him yesterday. And how statistical date will clearly show that ISU will still end up the better team.

I think the superbowl stuff gets blown out of proportion as well. I think back in the days of McCarney there was some validity to it and Ferentz didn't put as much emphasis on the game. He treated the game like we treat our other rivalry games, of which we have several...namely, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and now Nebraska, and it wasn't terribly different preparation-wise from any other week. We almost never matched ISU's intensity back then, and frankly, ISU had not really earned our respect at that point. But after reeling off 5 in a row, ISU definitely had our attention and with the competitive back-and-forth nature of the series over the last 10 years, even after Ferentz had brought Iowa back from the low point at the end of Hayden's tenure, I think Iowa has clearly put much more emphasis and effort into the game and matched ISU's intensity (especially this year).
I agree with what you said. Kirk Ferentz even alluded to it in his press conference this week. The people who say otherwise are just ignorant and buy into what they think themselves or what other similar-minded fans tell them.

However, as far as how serious ISU takes this game each year, their starting center Jamison Lalk said in an ESPN article that since hes been there, practice for this game is unlike any other in the season. That could've just been feeder for the story to hype up the rivalry but when you watch the game, it makes you wonder how much of what he was saying was just talk and that maybe there is something to this idea that ISU sells out for the Iowa game.

Reactions: icu81222
That could've just been feeder for the story to hype up the rivalry but when you watch the game, it makes you wonder how much of what he was saying was just talk and that maybe there is something to this idea that ISU sells out for the Iowa game.

If that's true then maybe we should too. They're on the schedule every year and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

This game was televised by a national network, recruits and kids from all over the country got to see it. That can't be a bad thing for recruiting. Win or lose it's fun to interact with friends and family before, during, and after the game. I really enjoy the games with ISU and hope they continue for the foreseeable future. Go Hawks!

Why don't you give us some links from over the weekend I4? You know you love posting what Pollard puts out. Give us the links from the Iowa-isu Soocer game, Volleyball match and Football game.

Maybe even the Iowa Corn cy-Hawk series standings would be good for a laugh.

There are some great thread from the always classy clone fans on cyclone fanatic for you to choose from as well if you would like.

More links. More links. More links.
just like i posted, hawks get 89 and lose

just like i posted, hawks get 89 and lose

Hey I4 why don't you dazzle us with your vastly superior football knowledge. Almost as funny as clone with a sigh telling us how great isu was for scoring on short fields. How many punt return yards did isu have Saturday, zero, yep no one will look at tape and figure out how to take that away.

We want more. We want more. We want more.

The Richardson over Beathard was pre-game chatter...don't think the post-game feelings would be the same:)
I would have said before the game that I'd take Sam over Beathard, which I think was a reasonable position based on the performance of the two players. I wouldn't say that today. Without Beathard, Iowa doesn't win the game; simple as that.

Reactions: NI hawk
Anyone who doesn't think that is the clowns superbowl is lost. I can't tell you how many times I have heard their fans say at least we beat Iowa. Proof is in their attendance. Kinnick would be a graveyard if we were the worst team in the country like the clowns.

They keep selling out with the hope of beating Iowa. Even their joke of a coach has them tackling dummies with Iowa gear on them before the season starts. It is truly a Juco program that revolves around one game a year. Beat Iowa and the coach gets a lifetime contract and fans fill up their high school stadium with ronald mcdonald attire.

Anyone who doesn't think that is the clowns superbowl is lost. I can't tell you how many times I have heard their fans say at least we beat Iowa. Proof is in their attendance. Kinnick would be a graveyard if we were the worst team in the country like the clowns.

They keep selling out with the hope of beating Iowa. Even their joke of a coach has them tackling dummies with Iowa gear on them before the season starts. It is truly a Juco program that revolves around one game a year. Beat Iowa and the coach gets a lifetime contract and fans fill up their high school stadium with ronald mcdonald attire.
And here we have proof of the adage that sore losers are sore winners, too.

Enough. Yes, we're just fans, but come on. Act like we've been here before.

They will have decent to good attendance the rest of this season. Rhoads has beaten Iowa a few times but has not been anointed by them. He's in serious trouble this year if he doesn't pick up some conference victories. And any objective observer can tell you that the stadium upgrades made for this year make this a respectable FBS stadium.

Most honest Iowa State fans will admit that iowa is one of their toughest 3 or 4 opponents on their schedule this year.

OU, BU, TCU will be worse, there are some tough road games. I expect three wins, probably will lose several other games in much worse fashion.

OU, BU, TCU will be worse, there are some tough road games. I expect three wins, probably will lose several other games in much worse fashion.

It's a little early to tell regarding most of ISU's remaining opponents, except for the "big 3" you mentioned. Those all look to be very good to great teams again this year. We have yet to see how Iowa stacks up against the rest of ISU's schedule, but I could make an argument right now to put us at #4 behind those 3.

I'm guessing that ISU will go the way of their defense for the most part. I think the team will be able to score more than 17 against a majority of their remaining opponents.

Most honest Iowa State fans will admit that iowa is one of their toughest 3 or 4 opponents on their schedule this year.
Most honest fans familiar with college football would not say that.

Based on performance so far (and historically), playing Iowa at home is not as difficult as playing at Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma and hosting TCU, so that would put the Iowa game at #5 at best. And that's a stretch.

Before the season, I thought the Iowa game would be among the four most winnable games on the schedule, along with UNI, Kansas and Toledo.

I am hoping Iowa is better than expected, but unfortunately, Toledo definitely is better than expected.

Right now, I would say Kansas and UNI are weaker opponents than Iowa, while KSU, BU, OU and TCU are stronger. So that puts Iowa between #5 and #10 on the strength meter, along with Texas, Okie State, Toledo and West Virginia.

Conversely, ISU looks like the 5th toughest game on Iowa's schedule, at the worst. The only more challenging games -- at this point on paper, of course, like my earlier comments -- would be Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern.

In short, it's reasonable to think at this time that Saturday's game, for both teams, falls somewhere near the middle of what they'll be facing all season.

Based on performance so far (and historically), playing Iowa at home is not as difficult as playing at Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma and hosting TCU, so that would put the Iowa game at #5 at best. And that's a stretch. Historically, isu stands 22 - 41 versus Iowa; in Ames, the record is 8 wins for the home team against 18 losses. Conversely, isu still holds the edge on Kansas State (49 -45 - 4 overall) and there is only a two or three game deficit for the clones when playing in Manhattan. K-State has lost a home game recently to an FCS program. Hardly insurmountable opponent.

Before the season, I thought the Iowa game would be among the four most winnable games on the schedule, along with UNI, Kansas and Toledo.You were mistaken - not the first time that has happened.

I am hoping Iowa is better than expected, but unfortunately, Toledo definitely is better than expected. Toledo has to be euphoric with the win Saturday over Arkansas. It is very possible that they will somewhat be still riding that high and not take preparations for isu as seriously as they should. I think that isu has a very good chance of coming away with the victory this week.

Right now, I would say Kansas and UNI are weaker opponents than Iowa, while KSU, BU, OU and TCU are stronger. So that puts Iowa between #5 and #10 on the strength meter, along with Texas, Okie State, Toledo and West Virginia. Still way too early in the season to be assessing any team's overall strength. TCU sure did not look like the second best team in the nation when facing Minnesota in week one. K-state faces one of the easiest non-conference slates this year. Let's wait another month or so for things to sort out before anointing anyone better or worse.

Conversely, ISU looks like the 5th toughest game on Iowa's schedule, at the worst. The only more challenging games -- at this point on paper, of course, like my earlier comments -- would be Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern. Since we are being 'honest' here, you are showing your extreme bias toward isu in this portion of your analysis. Right now, I am not certain that isu would beat any team left on Iowa's schedule. Furthermore, it can be argued that Illinois State played as well as did isu against Iowa in Kinnick Stadium. It is still a steep hill for Paul Rhoads and isu to climb and it has to happen sooner rather than later. An upset by Toledo on Saturday and/or a loss against Kansas on October 3rd and isu is very likely done winning any football games this season. Better to look no further than one game at a time.

In short, it's reasonable to think at this time that Saturday's game, for both teams, falls somewhere near the middle of what they'll be facing all season.

Conversely, ISU looks like the 5th toughest game on Iowa's schedule, at the worst. The only more challenging games -- at this point on paper, of course, like my earlier comments -- would be Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern.

LC, I can see your points regarding us being #5, but I'm not sold on KSU, with their current QB situation. Time will tell.

However, I think we should possibly include Pittsburgh in the list you gave. Time will also tell on this one, but right now, Pitt looks to be a tougher opponent than ISU. The venue (home versus away) and the lack of the rivalry makes this a game that I think most Hawk fans felt better about winning, but I believe Pitt is probably more highly regarded than ISU at this time. Additionally, I'm not sold on Northwestern yet, and Illinois is looking pretty good right now (against far inferior competition). We'll see what happens, I guess.

If the Iowa game is not the most important game on ISU's schedule, then I'll expect the holder on extra points to spaz out in celebration after a successful PAT at Toledo.

Yes let's track how often the isu holder gets jacked up on extra points.

If the Iowa game is not the most important game on ISU's schedule, then I'll expect the holder on extra points to spaz out in celebration after a successful PAT at Toledo.

He did it against UNI, it's pretty embarrassing. Anyways, congrats to Iowa on the win, they were the better team down the stretch and made plays when it counted.

LC, I can see your points regarding us being #5, but I'm not sold on KSU, with their current QB situation. Time will tell.

However, I think we should possibly include Pittsburgh in the list you gave. Time will also tell on this one, but right now, Pitt looks to be a tougher opponent than ISU. The venue (home versus away) and the lack of the rivalry makes this a game that I think most Hawk fans felt better about winning, but I believe Pitt is probably more highly regarded than ISU at this time. Additionally, I'm not sold on Northwestern yet, and Illinois is looking pretty good right now (against far inferior competition). We'll see what happens, I guess.
I tried to make it clear I was (am) talking about the situation based on what evidence we have at the time. If Texas were as good as I expected, the teasips wouldn't have gotten the bejabbers kicked out of them by Notre Dame. Similarly, if Toledo were as good as I expected, they wouldn't have won at #18 Arkansas. Iowa is better than I expected.

As for Kansas State, Snyder has ISU's number. It's truly bizarre. 6 of the last 7 games have gone down to the final possession, and the Wildcats have won all of them. So no matter what things look like on paper, I expect to lose to them.

LC, how you feel about KSU is how many Iowa fans feel about most losses to Iowa State, with the Tate injury/Manson debacle being the only exception since 2000.

Just curious here, but where do you think Texas would leave to?

Just curious here, but where do you think Texas would leave to?

Hey our resident football expert is back. How many punt return yards did the mighty clones get against the Hawks? Yep just as I said when the clones have to go the length of the field they just can't do it.

Maybe next year Pollard should refuse to share game tapes. It may prevent us from taking away isu's biggest weapon.

Iowa looked to be one of the 4 most winnable games on our schedule. Iowa was better than expected and maybe two or three of the Big 12 teams aren't as looking as good as we thought they would be. It is still early. But don't forget with 3 minutes to go Iowa was tied with the team projected to finish 9th in the Big 12. There is still a lot of season left to determine where both teams fit in the bigger scheme of things. Maybe both teams are better than we thought they'd be. Or maybe we will discover this:

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT