ADVERTISEMENT

Will we hear from any of our Clone friends today?

Most honest Iowa State fans will admit that iowa is one of their toughest 3 or 4 opponents on their schedule this year.

I don't know why Big Daddy posted the top 128 NCAA football teams in the basketball forum but he did. I decided to check out the link he posted (below) and found your post interesting that Iowa is one of Iowa State's toughest 3 or 4 opponent. I guess I'm not honest because I don't believe your theory that Iowa is probably one of Iowa State's toughest 3 or 4 opponents this year.

If you believe in the ranking Iowa State has to play 4 Big 12 teams ranked in the top 17 and 5 of the top 30 whereas Iowa's top big 10 opponent is #20 Wisconsin.

http://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cfb-128-official-ncaa-power-rankings-week-two.37012/

Checking both teams schedules I also don't understand why with Iowa's 13 Big 10 opponents to choose from they don't have to play at least 9 Big 10 opponents thus leaving only 3 none conference games of their choosing instead of 4.

Iowa should do well this year as they don't have to play the top 2 ranked Big 10 teams but get to play the bottom three ranked Big 10 teams. It's difficult to tell how good a team is when they don't have to play all of their conference opponents.

I don't know why Big Daddy posted the top 128 NCAA football teams in the basketball forum but he did. I decided to check out the link he posted (below) and found your post interesting that Iowa is one of Iowa State's toughest 3 or 4 opponent. I guess I'm not honest because I don't believe your theory that Iowa is probably one of Iowa State's toughest 3 or 4 opponents this year.

If you believe in the ranking Iowa State has to play 4 Big 12 teams ranked in the top 17 and 5 of the top 30 whereas Iowa's top big 10 opponent is #20 Wisconsin.

http://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/cfb-128-official-ncaa-power-rankings-week-two.37012/

Checking both teams schedules I also don't understand why with Iowa's 13 Big 10 opponents to choose from they don't have to play at least 9 Big 10 opponents thus leaving only 3 none conference games of their choosing instead of 4.

Iowa should do well this year as they don't have to play the top 2 ranked Big 10 teams but get to play the bottom three ranked Big 10 teams. It's difficult to tell how good a team is when they don't have to play all of their conference opponents.

Well it's been put in place for least 2 years that big 10 is going to 9 conf games in 2016. Iowa had no say on who would be in big 10 west just like ISU and big 12 north. Lastly with ISU playing every team in conf every year is due to fact teams have been leaving big 12 (4 to be exact) for other conf leaving them with 10'where as big 10 has teams wanting to join them.

Also only 3 big 12 teams in top 17 but I guess it's a moot point where they are ranked when you've lost last 9 conf games.

I'll answer two iswho posters who responded to my earlier post regarding my preference for canceling or reducing this series in the future. First to "Spectre" who stated that "ISU routinely sells out early season games no matter who we are playing" - riiiight - I don't believe that statement. However, for the sake of argument let's say they do - I'm willing to bet the individual ticket price for other non-conference games is no where near as high as it is for an Iowa game, so yes, isu does benefit financially from this series. You go on to say that there is no way that isu would except a 2 for 1 proposal of two games in Kinnick for one game in Ames. Perhaps, however, if Barta said take it or leave it, I think Pollard would flinch as Iowa has more leverage / national prestige, which Pollard is craving.

Cloneswithasigh - you asked where would Texas go if they left the Big12 - you must be living under a rock if you haven't heard that Texas along with Oklahoma are a couple teams that the B10 would court to join the expanded conference. If that happens, so long to the little 12, with iswho scrambling to find a new conference. Hello Mountain West!

LC, how you feel about KSU is how many Iowa fans feel about most losses to Iowa State, with the Tate injury/Manson debacle being the only exception since 2000.
Not the same thing at all, IMHO. In the first place, according to some of the Hawk fans on this board, Iowa hasn't lost to ISU hardly ever throughout history. Second, most of those Kansas State teams were bowl-bound, which is the case with ISU less than half the time.

I'll answer two iswho posters who responded to my earlier post regarding my preference for canceling or reducing this series in the future. First to "Spectre" who stated that "ISU routinely sells out early season games no matter who we are playing" - riiiight - I don't believe that statement. However, for the sake of argument let's say they do - I'm willing to bet the individual ticket price for other non-conference games is no where near as high as it is for an Iowa game, so yes, isu does benefit financially from this series. You go on to say that there is no way that isu would except a 2 for 1 proposal of two games in Kinnick for one game in Ames. Perhaps, however, if Barta said take it or leave it, I think Pollard would flinch as Iowa has more leverage / national prestige, which Pollard is craving.

Cloneswithasigh - you asked where would Texas go if they left the Big12 - you must be living under a rock if you haven't heard that Texas along with Oklahoma are a couple teams that the B10 would court to join the expanded conference. If that happens, so long to the little 12, with iswho scrambling to find a new conference. Hello Mountain West!
I figured you might say that and it shows you have no clue. The chances that Texas would join a conference with all of its members located in the North are less than 0. Anyone who thinks it is a possibility is "living under a rock". They will not play a significant number of games in cold weather cities. You then throw in Oklahoma to boot, which is just as comical.

Reactions: Myvue
I figured you might say that and it shows you have no clue. The chances that Texas would join a conference with all of its members located in the North are less than 0. Anyone who thinks it is a possibility is "living under a rock". They will not play a significant number of games in cold weather cities. You then throw in Oklahoma to boot, which is just as comical.
Plus, OU is not a member of the AAU, so if the Big Whateveritisthisyear wants to maintain the claim of academic excellence, the Sooners aren't likely to get an invitation.

Texas will do whatever they feel is in their best interest regardless of who or what conference that may be. If clone fans can't see that then they never will. Chalk up another reason to laugh at them and not take them seriously.

Not the same thing at all, IMHO. In the first place, according to some of the Hawk fans on this board, Iowa hasn't lost to ISU hardly ever throughout history. Second, most of those Kansas State teams were bowl-bound, which is the case with ISU less than half the time.

Sorry, but I can't let this slide. Saying ISU makes a bowl less than half the time (12 times ever) is like saying that Iowa wins Big 10 conference championships less than half the time (10 or 11 times ever, depending on how you figure it). While technically true, it implies a much higher success rate than reality.

Have Texas suffer the fate of TCU/Baylor last season and see how fast change occurs. Texas and/or Oklahoma will determine the future of the big xii... not the other way around. The sooner you figure that out, the more prepared you will be for whatever happens to isu.

I don't believe any ISU fans would say they have had a good team that last several years but they have been better than Iowa in the Ferentz era. Just think if Iowa wins the next two games you can then start to earn bragging rights. With such a superior team that Iowa fans always seem to think they are Ferentz record against Iowa State doesn't shows otherwise. As far as more teams in a conference, more is not better IMO.

I don't believe any ISU fans would say they have had a good team that last several years but they have been better than Iowa in the Ferentz era. Just think if Iowa wins the next two games you can then start to earn bragging rights. With such a superior team that Iowa fans always seem to think they are Ferentz record against Iowa State doesn't shows otherwise. As far as more teams in a conference, more is not better IMO.

How has isu been versus Iowa in the Paul Rhoads era? Or the Gene Chizik era?

It has been beaten into the dirt too many times to recount. Iowa has won one fewer game now versus mighty isu and that means that isu is so much better? Take a real close look at the margin of victory for each of the two teams and tell me if anything jumps out to you.

Here is a clue.. against Paul Rhoads, Coach Ferentz is 4-3 overall and the cumulative point differential is somewhere in the neighborhood of 71 points favoring Iowa. That is more than 10 points per game played regardless of the winner.

More teams in the Big Ten is the result of the Big Ten inviting other programs to become a part of our conference. That is starkly different than having teams bail from the big xii. If you truly believe the future of college football is in a ten-team league, then you are in for a real surprise.

Iowa looks well beyond isu when determining football success. BCS Bowls, Conference Championships and top 10/top 25 finishes are all something KF has delivered that clone fans can only dream of.

No one compares themselves to isu when it comes to football success.

Game over, I win.

Most honest fans familiar with college football would not say that.

Based on performance so far (and historically), playing Iowa at home is not as difficult as playing at Kansas State, Baylor and Oklahoma and hosting TCU, so that would put the Iowa game at #5 at best. And that's a stretch.

Before the season, I thought the Iowa game would be among the four most winnable games on the schedule, along with UNI, Kansas and Toledo.

I am hoping Iowa is better than expected, but unfortunately, Toledo definitely is better than expected.

Right now, I would say Kansas and UNI are weaker opponents than Iowa, while KSU, BU, OU and TCU are stronger. So that puts Iowa between #5 and #10 on the strength meter, along with Texas, Okie State, Toledo and West Virginia.

Conversely, ISU looks like the 5th toughest game on Iowa's schedule, at the worst. The only more challenging games -- at this point on paper, of course, like my earlier comments -- would be Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern.

In short, it's reasonable to think at this time that Saturday's game, for both teams, falls somewhere near the middle of what they'll be facing all season.
Pitt and Illinois are absolutely better than ISU.

Iowa is better than KSU also. QB situation alone makes that case. KSU recently lost to an FCS school.....

If the Iowa game is not the most important game on ISU's schedule, then I'll expect the holder on extra points to spaz out in celebration after a successful PAT at Toledo.
Someone will have to post each reaction. (That is, if ISU somehow scores)

Texas will do whatever they feel is in their best interest regardless of who or what conference that may be. If clone fans can't see that then they never will. Chalk up another reason to laugh at them and not take them seriously.
You finally make a claim that is accurate. Texas will do whatever they feel is in their best interest and it will never be in a conference with all Northern schools....... You finally get it.

If ISU has been better than Iowa in KF 17 seasons then why has ISU only finished once in the top 25 and that was ranked 25th and never won more than 9 games? Or how many bowl games and their record in them. It has been well discussed how poorly KF has done against ISU. But don't kid yourselves if you ask anyone outside the state of Iowa which is a better program since 2000 or late 90s Iowa wins easily hands down.

Since KF has been around every team in the big 12 has won or least been close to big 12 title minus one team...ISU.

Last edited:
Have Texas suffer the fate of TCU/Baylor last season and see how fast change occurs. Texas and/or Oklahoma will determine the future of the big xii... not the other way around. The sooner you figure that out, the more prepared you will be for whatever happens to isu.
What is really interesting to me is the fact that Iowa operates under what arguably is the same constraints as ISU. They come from a small population state with very limited TV sets with low national appeal. They have what is arguably the smallest market in their conference with a very limited recruiting base. Iowa is not even the largest school in a small population state. So keep pointing a finger at ISU making derogatory comments about our conference future, but go ahead and look in the mirror at the same time.

You finally make a claim that is accurate. Texas will do whatever they feel is in their best interest and it will never be in a conference with all Northern schools....... You finally get it.

How do you know that Texas believes what you state? The part where they will never be in a conference with Northern Schools?

What is really interesting to me is the fact that Iowa operates under what arguably is the same constraints as ISU. They come from a small population state with very limited TV sets with low national appeal. They have what is arguably the smallest market in their conference with a very limited recruiting base. Iowa is not even the largest school in a small population state. So keep pointing a finger at ISU making derogatory comments about our conference future, but go ahead and look in the mirror at the same time.

What exactly does enrollment have to do with anything? There are numerous other examples of the Premier School in the state not actually having the highest enrollment. The state of Iowa really isn't any different.

But of course that must be ignored because clone fans say so.

How do you know that Texas believes what you state? The part where they will never be in a conference with Northern Schools?
Now you are asking the right question. I know many longhorn alum and a few significant boosters, and I have been told as much. There is no benefit to UT to join a Northern centered conference.......they would only look at such a proposal if asked by ND, because ND was joining. That will not happen in my lifetime.

Since most of those KSU teams were bowl bound, maybe that has something to do with why Snyder has ISU's number.

Now you are asking the right question. I know many longhorn alum and a few significant boosters, and I have been told as much. There is no benefit to UT to join a Northern centered conference.......they would only look at such a proposal if asked by ND, because ND was joining. That will not happen in my lifetime.

There it is again. Because clone fan says so.

There it is again. Because clone fan says so.
You bet..... A clone alum from Texas who happens to know a few significant UT folks who are wired in. You sit on a fence and crow at the top of your lungs without much of a clue. You just want to believe things are a certain way so you claim they are even if evidence suggests otherwise. Then to try and make your point, you will post 3 or 4 posts to 1 response trying to overwhelm the individual that has proven you to be off base. Did you even attend college anywhere? I know it wasn't at Iowa because you would be on the pay board.

You bet..... A clone alum from Texas who happens to know a few significant UT folks who are wired in. You sit on a fence and crow at the top of your lungs without much of a clue. You just want to believe things are a certain way so you claim they are even if evidence suggests otherwise. Then to try and make your point, you will post 3 or 4 posts to 1 response trying to overwhelm the individual that has proven you to be off base. Did you even attend college anywhere? I know it wasn't at Iowa because you would be on the pay board.
he bankrupted his company, thus free boards

Since most of those KSU teams were bowl bound, maybe that has something to do with why Snyder has ISU's number.
Of course, but in 6 of the 7 games the game was in doubt in the final series and all 6 went one direction. The point isn't that KSU has beaten ISU 7 straight. It's that all but one of those games literally went down to the wire and they all went KSU's way.

Sorry, but I can't let this slide. Saying ISU makes a bowl less than half the time (12 times ever) is like saying that Iowa wins Big 10 conference championships less than half the time (10 or 11 times ever, depending on how you figure it). While technically true, it implies a much higher success rate than reality.
I don't think you read my post propertly. I was referring to the last 7 years. ISU went to 3 bowls in that period. Kansas State went to 5.

I don't think you read my post propertly. I was referring to the last 7 years. ISU went to 3 bowls in that period. Kansas State went to 5.

Fair enough. I don't like that replies only include the last message. I missed the fact that you were referring to a specific period of ISU/KSU games, but I looked back and see what you were saying. I saw the reference to Iowa and ISU "throughout history", and it seemed that was the timeline you were talking about.

I kind of see things a little differently. You say that most of the KSU teams were bold bound, but a minority of the ISU teams were bowl bound. To me, that seems to mean that ISU is playing KSU tougher, or KSU is "playing down" to ISU. KSU has won the games, but maybe they are just better, and have been fortunate enough to pull out some games that were closer than they should be. To me, KSU/Snyder "having the number" of ISU would be a series of blowouts.

Fair enough. I don't like that replies only include the last message. I missed the fact that you were referring to a specific period of ISU/KSU games, but I looked back and see what you were saying. I saw the reference to Iowa and ISU "throughout history", and it seemed that was the timeline you were talking about.

I kind of see things a little differently. You say that most of the KSU teams were bold bound, but a minority of the ISU teams were bowl bound. To me, that seems to mean that ISU is playing KSU tougher, or KSU is "playing down" to ISU. KSU has won the games, but maybe they are just better, and have been fortunate enough to pull out some games that were closer than they should be. To me, KSU/Snyder "having the number" of ISU would be a series of blowouts.
I think we have different definitions. Oklahoma has Iowa State's number. Ohio State has Iowa's number. What I'm talking about is that when it comes down to the nitty and the gritty, KSU has somehow found a way to win EVERY FREAKING TIME. On two occasions, if ISU had won, it would have been bowl-eligible and KSU would not have been. On a third occasion, beating ISU made KSU bowl-eligible. We played them twice in Arrowhead and could have won on the last play of the game, but didn't. In some ways, it's worse than just going out and getting your head beaten in every year, like with OU.

Reactions: NI hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT