ADVERTISEMENT

William Henckel Opens Up About Iowa Recruitment

He is tall with a big frame. Hope he is fully grown, or 165 will never work
Certainly a concern, he was ranked at 160 prior to the weight changes, so maybe he doesn’t have much of a cut for 165, but can he hold it for the next 4-5 years? Iowa's loaded at 174-184 for the foreseeable future.

Certainly a concern, he was ranked at 160 prior to the weight changes, so maybe he doesn’t have much of a cut for 165, but can he hold it for the next 4-5 years? Iowa's loaded at 174-184 for the foreseeable future.
I would have felt better about Lockett growing into 165, but wasn’t meant to be.

The years will solve that and there is no certainty that there will not be a big need there. I think he would find a fit.

Reactions: el dub
That would be Ed Hinkel, not Henckel. So the answer would be no.

Dude. 😂

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I’m a younger Hawk fan so I didn’t get to see the Gable era, but I don’t understand at a certain point why these kids want to keep entering a log jam at Penn St. They are loaded, especially in the middle.

I’m a younger Hawk fan so I didn’t get to see the Gable era, but I don’t understand at a certain point why these kids want to keep entering a log jam at Penn St. They are loaded, especially in the middle.
this wasn't happening under Gable. I never would have believed it could happen. I have to laugh now because it's so ridiculous.

The most elite kids all understand they can't be the best of they aren't even the best in the PSU room. There are worse things in life than learning from Cael during a redshirt year, and then hitting the Portal and naming your NIL price, and going elsewhere.

I don't like it one bit, but it might just be the new reality in NCAA sports let alone wrestling. The Portal was bad enough without NIL.

New recruits aside, my less than perfect solution. Limit transfer starters on a roster to 2 slots maximum. Forget about the top programs Iowa, Mich and PSU taking advantage, let's protect the smaller programs losing their best kids continuously.

They can go to PSU, redshirt a year, see if they’re good enough to start and transfer without penalty if they’re not.

If they’re not getting 9.9 money, then it’s only one of the two transfer before they graduate transfers they can use.

And I’m guessing most of them believe they’re good enough to start. At a certain level, most believe that they’ll be 4x champs.

The most elite kids all understand they can't be the best of they aren't even the best in the PSU room. There are worse things in life than learning from Cael during a redshirt year, and then hitting the Portal and naming your NIL price, and going elsewhere.

I don't like it one bit, but it might just be the new reality in NCAA sports let alone wrestling. The Portal was bad enough without NIL.

New recruits aside, my less than perfect solution. Limit transfer starters on a roster to 2 slots maximum. Forget about the top programs Iowa, Mich and PSU taking advantage, let's protect the smaller programs losing their best kids continuously.
The NCAA just signed off on multiple transfers with no loss of eligibility.

Do you think that there is any way in hell that wrestling is going to be able to put a cap on transfer starters?

Iowa needs to get a lot better at the portal game because we cannot keep up with psu in traditional recruiting.

Do you think that there is any way in hell that wrestling is going to be able to put a cap on transfer starters?

Iowa needs to get a lot better at the portal game because we cannot keep up with psu in traditional recruiting.
Well they just got the best two guys in the portal last year so we can’t keep up with them on that either.

I don't disagree. I don't like what Deon Sanders did at Col this year in football even though the results didn't deliver. I would be ok with a 20% cap on both scholys and starters for transfers. If football gets 85, a 17 cap is too high but it's a start. 2 for wrestling as well. It won't happen, but I am not a fan of the wild West with only a few primary benefactors. PS - I don't even like what free agency has done to perfessional sports. Call me old fashioned.

Penn State is not doing “traditional recruiting.” Aside from that, there is likely very intense pressure for Pennsylvania kids to stay at home. They can see or have learned how Spencer was treated by the locals when he made his decision.

And for all the Penn State trolls with nothing better to do than visit an Iowa Board, where Henckel is from is irrelevant to my comment.

Last edited:
Penn State is not doing “traditional recruiting.” Aside from that, there is likely very intense pressure for Pennsylvania kids to stay at home. They can see or have learned how Spencer was treated by the locals when he made his decision.
Do you know where Henckel is from?

Reactions: PSUer1989
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT