ADVERTISEMENT

Winterset teacher on leave over personality survey resigns to protect 'my own mental health and well-being'

Poor judgement. That's a stupid thing to discuss with students regardless of orientation.
Every year teachers have a slide that tells the kids something about themselves. Are you saying that he should have hidden that part of himself? Why? Other teachers will have photos of their kids/spouses on theirs slides. It helps students see that they are not alone/freaks if they see an adult who just treats it as normal.

This is not the whole story. Schools are not alwys allowed to publicly respond to events, but I have it from a pretty solid source that there is more to this story.

Every year teachers have a slide that tells the kids something about themselves. Are you saying that he should have hidden that part of himself? Why? Other teachers will have photos of their kids/spouses on theirs slides. It helps students see that they are not alone/freaks if they see an adult who just treats it as normal.
And you leave them to draw their own conclusion. I'm married with two kids. Make of that what you will. I follow UNC basketball and drink lots of coffee. I also drink beer...that doesn't go on my "slide" and if a student asked if I was drinking at a bar over the weekend, I'd tell them my private life is not their concern. The same answer I give when they ask who I voted for or to which party I belong. My classroom is inclusive of all viewpoints that are personal but I don't discuss my personal life with them beyond the broadest outlines. Doing otherwise invites the exact backlash seen here.

So he's a good teacher who connects with his students.

Great!

But not anymore.

His effort moved him out of the classroom. You help students see themselves as not alone or freaks by accepting THEM and defending them as THEY are.

This is not the whole story. Schools are not alwys allowed to publicly respond to events, but I have it from a pretty solid source that there is more to this story.
My brother's mechanic heard from his sister's hair dresser that he was frenching some guy in the middle of 3rd period!!!

And you leave them to draw their own conclusion. I'm married with two kids. Make of that what you will. I follow UNC basketball and drink lots of coffee. I also drink beer...that doesn't go on my "slide" and if a student asked if I was drinking at a bar over the weekend, I'd tell them my private life is not their concern. The same answer I give when they ask who I voted for or to which party I belong. My classroom is inclusive of all viewpoints that are personal but I don't discuss my personal life with them beyond the broadest outlines. Doing otherwise invites the exact backlash seen here.

So he's a good teacher who connects with his students.

Great!

But not anymore.

His effort moved him out of the classroom. You help students see themselves as not alone or freaks by accepting THEM and defending them as THEY are.
Right, but if the kid sees a picture and asks if you're married or if you have kids you say what? "None of your business you little shit bag!"?
He put the symbol on there because it represents who he is, he didn't have a video of him in a 3 way.

There seems to be some information that is missing.

Apparently the whole problem is in regards to a personality survey that he sent home and that he was told termination was not on the table.

But the students seem to think he was forced out because he told them he was bisexual.

I can't be upset by a teacher merely informing his junior high school students that he is bisexual. But I really don't get the impression that was the problem here, just that the students seem to think that was the problem.

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
I disagree. The kids asked and he answered. Why should be hide it?
Maybe because it is nobody's business but his own. The student shouldn't have asked but when he did, the teacher should have said that is a personal question and not for public consumption. If a male student asked an attractive female teacher if she enjoys sex, do you think she should answer simply because she was asked? ( On second thought, don't answer that, I already know where you come from.)

Maybe because it is nobody's business but his own. The student shouldn't have asked but when he did, the teacher should have said that is a personal question and not for public consumption. If a male student asked an attractive female teacher if she enjoys sex, do you think she should answer simply because she was asked? ( On second thought, don't answer that, I already know where you come from.)
You people are so weird.

Exactly!

Hey, just remember, your are dealing with the good folks of Mdison County, Ioway....the same folks that have decided to place a moratorium on windmills, because they cause cancer.
You ain’t dealing with the sharpest knives in the drawer here.
Good point, you have to be a Mensa member to know you don't talk about your own sex life to students.:rolleyes:

WTF. How is liking sex in any way comparable? It’s not appropriate to talk about your sex life.

There is nothing inappropriate with saying you’re gay, bi, straight, or otherwise.

Reactions: lucas80
Right, but if the kid sees a picture and asks if you're married or if you have kids you say what? "None of your business you little shit bag!"?
He put the symbol on there because it represents who he is, he didn't have a video of him in a 3 way.
I say yes. End of story. There is zero reason for me to explain that this makes me heterosexual. I can't even imagine why it would come up. I have a student who emailed me before the year started. They informed me of the pronouns they preferred and told me their preferred name. I was also told that they hadn't come out yet so I should use traditional pronouns and given name if I interacted with their parents but I could use the preferred name in class. There was not and is not any need to discuss anyone's sexuality. I accept and respect their wishes. Simple.

Last edited:
I say yes. End of story. There is zero reason for me to explain that this makes me heterosexual. I can't even imagine why it would come up. I have a student who emailed me before the year started. They informed me of the pronouns they preferred and told me their preferred name. I was also told that they hadn't come out yet so I should use traditional pronouns and given name if I interacted with their parents but I could use the preferred name in class. There was not and is not any need to discuss anyone's sexuality. I accept and respect their wishes. Simple.
You have a right to your opinions and I have a right to think they're silly.

You have a right to your opinions and I have a right to think they're silly.
And a teacher was put on suspension for delving into the sexuality of his students. And he resigned over it. So think it's silly all you like but it was a dumb f'n thing to do.

And a teacher was put on suspension for delving into the sexuality of his students. And he resigned over it. So think it's silly all you like but it was a dumb f'n thing to do.
What are you basing that on? Do you have inside information? If so, share it.

What are you basing that on? Do you have inside information? If so, share it.

A teacher's suspension led to a student walkout and protest this week at Winterset Junior High School, but school administrators now say the reason for the administrative leave is unrelated to the concerns students raised.

Dozens of students demonstrated outside the school Tuesday in support of seventh-grade literacy teacher Lucas Kaufmann. They believed he was placed on administrative leave for an in-class presentation in which he told students he was bisexual.

School officials say that presentation played no part in putting Kaufmann on leave. Instead, they told parents in an email that the issue was a personality survey Kaufmann gave students to complete.

A parent shared the complete survey with KCCI, which was verified to be the one given to students.

One of the sections of the questionnaire reads: "Imagine you are in your ideal relationship. What does your partner do to make you feel loved?" One of the available options for the seventh-grade students to check was: "initiates sexual intimacy."

Again, feel free to think it's "silly" but pissing off the parents of your students is generally a bad move. And this was 100% predictable. This guy didn't really want the job is my guess. He blew himself up, so to speak.

Reactions: thewop
His response?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kenneth Griffin
It's 2021. It's unfathomable that somehow people think these sheltered kids have never heard of bi-sexuality.

Reactions: BeepBeepInMyJeep
It's 2021. It's unfathomable that somehow people think these sheltered kids have never heard of bi-sexuality.
LOL...he was suspended because he asked his students if they would "feel loved" if someone "initiated sexual intimacy". Think about that in the context of a 12 year old. Are you seriously going to suggest that doesn't sound shady coming from a teacher - or ANY adult?

Reactions: thewop
A teacher's suspension led to a student walkout and protest this week at Winterset Junior High School, but school administrators now say the reason for the administrative leave is unrelated to the concerns students raised.

Dozens of students demonstrated outside the school Tuesday in support of seventh-grade literacy teacher Lucas Kaufmann. They believed he was placed on administrative leave for an in-class presentation in which he told students he was bisexual.

School officials say that presentation played no part in putting Kaufmann on leave. Instead, they told parents in an email that the issue was a personality survey Kaufmann gave students to complete.

A parent shared the complete survey with KCCI, which was verified to be the one given to students.

One of the sections of the questionnaire reads: "Imagine you are in your ideal relationship. What does your partner do to make you feel loved?" One of the available options for the seventh-grade students to check was: "initiates sexual intimacy."

Again, feel free to think it's "silly" but pissing off the parents of your students is generally a bad move. And this was 100% predictable. This guy didn't really want the job is my guess. He blew himself up, so to speak.
Instead of being snarky you could have shared that article. That information is not in the above link or in the previously published story.

"Hey, 12-year-olds, imagine you're in your ideal relationship. You've just received a promotion after finishing your grad degree and you're discussing with your S.O. the possibility of buying a place together. You've run some numbers and financial stress is straining your relationship. What does your partner do to make you feel loved? Finger blast you under a blanket while you're watching Secret Life of Pets 2?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT