ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA Officiating

The only way this ends is for the WNBA to do what they did in the NBA with Jordan and force the refs to start calling the fouls on her. After Clark spends 10 games going to the free throw line 27 times a game teams will start deciding that maybe allowing Clark to single handily defeat them by shooting free throws and losing to a really crappy Fever team isn't a good game plan. But the league has to step in. Maybe not publicly, but they have to get the officials to start protecting their product.
1st step is the Fever GM had finally said something about the officiating. Maybe Connor said something to the GM

The only way this ends is for the WNBA to do what they did in the NBA with Jordan and force the refs to start calling the fouls on her. After Clark spends 10 games going to the free throw line 27 times a game teams will start deciding that maybe allowing Clark to single handily defeat them by shooting free throws and losing to a really crappy Fever team isn't a good game plan. But the league has to step in. Maybe not publicly, but they have to get the officials to start protecting their product.
The league upgraded the foul to flagrant 1 today. No fine or suspension though.

Also $$$ fines that hurt the "underpaid", in their opinion, of course. Also, game ejections & unpaid game suspensions.
The "W" is supposed to be a "for profit" business, and the W has some hard decisions to make to save their basketball league, or so they say it is basketball.
First task.....get their refs to do the job that refs should be calling & consistently on all players. Really, there is a difference between mugging & touch fouls.
No changes and it's RIP "W".

If these ghetto thug lesbian bitches continue their hate viewers will tune this out. These officials are pathetic half lesbian bitches also. Caitlyn needs to kick one of them in the nuts as pay back
I don't agree that the officiating is bad but your post is as racist and homophobic as it comes. Seriously some of you need to travel out of Iowa occasionally.

If
Also $$$ fines that hurt the "underpaid", in their opinion, of course. Also, game ejections & unpaid game suspensions.
The "W" is supposed to be a "for profit" business, and the W has some hard decisions to make to save their basketball league, or so they say it is basketball.
First task.....get their refs to do the job that refs should be calling & consistently on all players. Really, there is a difference between mugging & touch fouls.
No changes and it's RIP "WIf

If Caitlin gets injured and can't play, viewership will plummet for those games.

They would rather call a touch foul than an obvious mugging.

Terrible job by CC's teammates and coach of not defending her. Any other team, other league would have players running at the other team, coach yelling at refs, calling out the other team, refs, and league in the press conference. It's not that tough to figure out. Defend your teammate/player.
This might be the worst element of the whole thing. Has no one on her team got her back or is everyone free to take a shot at her without fear of retribution? I can't remember another situation in college or pro, men or women, where someone took a blindsided cheap shot like that and no one came to their defense. It makes you wonder what CC's relationship is with her coach and teammates.

I don't agree that the officiating is bad but your post is as racist and homophobic as it comes. Seriously some of you need to travel out of Iowa occasionally.
No shit. And people here take offense when someone from another program calls them a bunch of racists.

Having watched most of the Fever games this year it's obvious CC is a marked player for extremely hard fouls. If this is allowed to continue it is not a question of if CC will be injured, but rather when she will be injured. The WNBA needs to step in and get their officiating crews on board.

Having watched most of the Fever games this year it's obvious CC is a marked player for extremely hard fouls. If this is allowed to continue it is not a question of if CC will be injured, but rather when she will be injured. The WNBA needs to step in and get their officiating crews on board.
I've watched all of them and they won't call a foul on a mugging of Caitlin but turn around call a ticky tack foul on her. Very disturbing to watch.

The WNBA has allowed this to happen.

First of all, some current WNBA players set the narrative before the season that CC would need to adjust to the physicality of the WNBA. With that narrative, the WNBA let CC get hammered the first 10 games - even receiving technicals for pointing it out. Other teams saw the WNBA wasn’t going to do anything to stop it - which is causing it to just get worse. At some point the Fever need to take matters into their own hands thanks to the WNBA

Agree 100%. Time for the fever front office to find themselves an enforcer. Or tell Clark’s pussy ass teammates to step the **** up and protect their future. I don’t get why it hasn’t happened yet.

Agree 100%. Time for the fever front office to find themselves an enforcer. Or tell Clark’s pussy ass teammates to step the **** up and protect their future. I don’t get why it hasn’t happened yet.
i think Temi would do it if she weren’t out with her own injury. Of all CC’s teammates she’s the one I see most likely to have her back. Problem is the Fever need her in games when she’s back. This is another example of how poorly this roster was assembled. With all the preseason chatter about how it was “coming” for CC, the Fever should have had a contingency plan in place in terms of roster makeup.

I agree that there was no need to be a homophobe, and no need to combat the hate we are seeing from many players with more hate …but can we have an honest conversation about culture?

There is such a thing as competitiveness and playing hard but some of the things we have seen thrown at CC are well beyond that.

There clearly is envy and hatred. Some of it can be attributed to all the attention and money she is receiving. But there is something deeper at play IMO.

Right before Carter broadsided Clark, there was a physical entanglement at the other end and possible words said. So, it may have been started earlier.
Didn’t see the game so I’m curious, who initiated the scrum prior to the cheap shot by Carter?

Apparently they're taking the no blood no foul approach. Well, not a lot of blood anyway. Broken bones might make the cut as well.

Yes, everybody knows where you stand on women's basketball. Now you can STFU about it.
That's how I feel when I log in and see seven consecutive useless threads about CC this or that.

I wish you would STFU about it

Didn’t see the game so I’m curious, who initiated the scrum prior to the cheap shot by Carter?
Hard to say actually. Clark and Carter were guarding one another a lot it looked like. The play at the other end right before the hip check was Carter and CC shoving for blockout. Probably some jawboning going on earlier in the game though.

Lived in Georgia for a few years. Iowa got nothing on them, especially the transplants from Alabama.

The Fever have had more seats filled in four games than they did all last year. Everywhere Caitlin plays is a sell out. Yet the officials allow blind side shoulder blocks which should have been a flagrant or ejection.

The woman who is filling arenas for this league is being abused and it is sad. They have the goose who lays the golden egg, yet they abuse her. It is sad and pathetic.

Still she is setting rookie records.

FWIW, the NBA would never had let MJ take this kind of abuse.
MJ was roughed up and hacked a lot in his early years in the league.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Mostly driving to the bucket. I don’t recall anything like the thug shove like we saw by Carter.
You are most likely correct.

If I was on team CC, I’d consider going to the league executives and say clean this shit up or I’m going to permanently play in Europe. She has a lot of leverage right now. She should use it.

Last edited:
The whole situation really sucks, no one wins with this short sighted contempt and jealously. If Clark reacts or says what's likely really on her mind, it just riles up the bitterness even more and her experience becomes more miserable. If the league hands out suspensions, these bitter players just become martyrs and more emboldened. If Clark decides it's not worth it and and goes to play overseas, she's going to be branded a coward. She's probably handling as best as possible by taking the high road, but the whole thing really pisses me off.

The whole situation really sucks, no one wins with this short sighted contempt and jealously. If Clark reacts or says what's likely really on her mind, it just riles up the bitterness even more and her experience becomes more miserable. If the league hands out suspensions, these bitter players just become martyrs and more emboldened. If Clark decides it's not worth it and and goes to play overseas, she's going to be branded a coward. She's probably handling as best as possible by taking the high road, but the whole thing really pisses me off.

+and if she does not respond and the league and refs don’t step in the thuggies will get even more brazen.

Ugh.

Excited Lets Go GIF
I’ll preface this by saying PROFESSIONAL women’s ball is a joke. Caitlin in college was must watch , but the WNBA can eat a bag of d!cks…
I question how many of the players or coaches would have any interest in a bag of dicks.

• Haha
Reactions: SI_NYC
Agree that it’s a bad situation all around. W should have been prepared for this but it’s obvious now they were just fixated on all this additional exposure that was coming and just figured that things would all be groovy. Piss poor leadership. Now they find all parties in corners that will be difficult to get themselves out of.

While I don’t suspect Caitlin would do it, I do think there’s a way she could back out of this mess and avoid the “coward” label, however, at least among those who aren’t haters already (doesn’t matter what she does in their eyes).

At some point she COULD come out with something like:

- It’s been lifelong dream to play in this league and she’ll be forever grateful she not only achieved it, but was the top draft pick overall. So many thanks to Fever organization, players, fans, everyone who has supported, yada yada yada. All Caitlin speak stuff.
- That being said, she has ALWAYS said that her number one goals have been to be herself and have fun. She could say that at this moment in time, it doesn’t appear as though this is the place where she can reach those goals. Extremely painful and difficult decision, yada yada, but she’s accepted an offer to play overseas. Just feels as though her style is a better fit there right now. Difficult to leave because she knows these are the best players in the world (wink wink), but it’s just the right thing to do right now. More Caitlin stuff.
- People who say “don’t you care about becoming a W legend, leading scorer, leading assists, etc.,” she counters with what she’s always said which is records and recognition are nice but that’s never been what it’s about for her.
- Finishes with how proud she is of where the women’s game is now, that it’s only going to continue to get bigger (although she’s obviously smart and knows the W will go back on life support without her), maybe she can help create something similar in Europe for women’s sports. And she’s not closing a door, hopefully just opening a new one. More Caitlin.

Again, wouldn’t put my money on this happening, at least not for a while. She’s probably too competitive. But she’s human, too. Depends on how miserable she becomes. Life is too short. I think she of all people has options is all I’m saying.

That's how I feel when I log in and see seven consecutive useless threads about CC this or that.

I wish you would STFU about it
How about just not opening the threads and not posting. No one posting in these threads will miss you. Win win.

Reactions: spiderland
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT