ADVERTISEMENT

Woman arrested after 29 horses found dead, around 45 dogs rescued from home, authorities say

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
TUSCUMBIA, Ala. (WAFF/Gray News) - “There’s really not one particular way to describe it. It’s an emotional rollercoaster,” said animal control officer Jessica Hogan in describing her emotions after responding to a reported case of animal cruelty.

One woman faces charges after nearly 30 dead horses were found on her property, authorities in Colbert County said.

On Sunday, Debra Catledge was arrested by the Colbert County Sheriff’s Office on 15 counts of animal cruelty. More charges are pending.

“There was an area that was just basically bones that was in the back. There was really not a lot left to be able to determine the cause of death,” says animal control officer Whitney Hamby.

Animal Services Director Corey Speegle said he worked closely with animal control to remove over 20 living horses and over 40 dogs from the property.

Animal control personnel said they discovered a disturbing scene at a home in Colbert County, Alabama.
“We pulled up in front of the house. We could hear the dogs barking. We noticed a row of kennels with dogs, four or five deep in elevated kennels, pretty bad conditions, hair matted up, living in pee, poop, feces ... just really bad conditions,” said Speegle.

Speegle said all animals were brought to the Colbert County Animal Shelter. Saturday morning, volunteers from all over the community stepped in to help find homes for THE animals seized from the property.

“We’ve had rescue come in. We’re going to have dogs going to rescues in Nashville and in Kentucky, and they’ll stay there pending the court’s decision on these animals,” Speegle said.

Out of the 40 dogs rescued from the woman’s property, only four were left at the shelter after area rescues stepped in to help.

She should have to live in the same conditions as the horses and dogs had to live, and that might be too good for her. I've got no use for this sorry excuse for a human being. 😡

This is another facet of our national hoarding problem. We talk about mental health. Hoarding is a big big problem. You are seeing it more and more with animals now.

Look at all the damn storage units.

Reminds me of a woman that my daughters (no pics) used to do volunteer work for when they were teeneagers. She ran a horse rescue farm. I figured it would be a good experience for the kids and something they could put on job/college applications.

We worked there for a few weeks and then quit because of safety concerns. It was clear at the time that she was in over her head. She had 20 or so horses but really only had the resources for about 6 or 7.

A year or so later she was arrested and by that time she had nearly twice as many horses, most of them dying or already dead. I honestly think she meant well and started out with good intentions but just didn’t have the means to achieve her goals and didn’t understand her limitations. She wanted to save every horse she found and simply didn’t have enough money or resources to do it.

Dog owners are the worst…
Homer Simpson Animation GIF by FOX TV

29 horses and all they wanted was someone to be nice to them and take care of them. That scum should never see the light of day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT