ADVERTISEMENT

Women say COVID vaccines affected their periods. A new study adds to mounting evidence.

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
All I have to say is Thank Goodness for the pic, otherwise I'd have not been able to follow the story.

Women say COVID vaccines affected their periods. A new study adds to mounting evidence.​

Kaitlin Reilly
Wed, September 27, 2023 at 8:12 PM CDT·5 min read

Period changes and the COVID vaccine (Getty Images)

Period changes and the COVID vaccine: What's the deal? (Getty Images)

I've spent the majority of my adult life on birth control pills, taking them continuously, so my period has been nonexistent. So imagine my surprise when, in December 2021, I got my period, along with excruciating menstrual cramps. It was so out of the norm, I went to the emergency room, concerned that the pain and blood was a sign of something scary like an ectopic pregnancy or an undiagnosed disease.

I never got an official answer in the emergency room or with the gynecologist I followed up with shortly after my ER visit. It wasn’t until I sought out a second gynecologist a few months later did she suggest my symptoms may have something to do with my recent COVID vaccine.

While I had also experienced the more typical post-shot reactions of slight fever and muscle aches, it never occurred to me that my COVID vaccine might have an impact on my menstrual cycle. But there is mounting evidence to support the theory that it can.

The latest, a September 2023 study published in Science Advances, by Kristine Blix at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health in Oslo, found that women who don’t menstruate were several times more likely to experience unexpected vaginal bleeding after COVID-19 vaccination than before the vaccines were offered. This includes postmenopausal women as well as people like me, who are pre-menopausal but regularly skipped their period due to contraceptive use.

Before that, in January 2022, a National Institute of Health-funded study found that a COVID-19 vaccination was associated with a small, temporary increase in menstrual cycle length.

And a year ago, in September 2022, a large study published in BMJ Medicine, which looked at data from nearly 20,000 people, confirmed the link between COVID-19 vaccination and temporary increase in menstrual cycle length.

Outside of these published studies, there’s also quite a bit of anecdotal evidence — at least, that’s what I found when I scoured Reddit, trying to find an answer for my symptoms.

“After my shot I basically had 2 periods a month,” one person wrote in a December 2022 thread. “It was like I’d have a period way heavier than they were before my vaccine.”

Another said, “After my mom got the shot she got her period. She had already gone through menopause eight years ago and never even spotted throughout those years. As soon as she got vaccinated she started bleeding the next day for a week. Never got it again after that. It was so weird and she went through so many tests and everything was normal.”

A third wrote that they “spotted for the entire month of July” and that their periods became “so severe” that the cramps made them vomit, which unfortunately sounded similar to my experience.

Kate Clancy, a biological anthropologist at the University of Illinois, also noticed a flood of anecdotal evidence, as she wrote in a recent op-ed for the Washington Post — ultimately leading her and a colleague to conduct a 165,000-person survey of menstruation patterns post-vaccination.

“Our survey was intended to document participants’ experiences with the early vaccine rollout — to collect these data on the ground, as they emerged — and, as such, our sample was self-selected. But the sheer volume of respondents surprised by heavy and breakthrough bleeding was striking,” she wrote. “Changes in menstruation were uncomfortable and often painful, people reported. Strangers described bleeding through their clothes at work. Postmenopausal people were terrified they had cancer.”

So what’s going on here?​

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says it’s important for people to know the response makes sense. While the theory has to be studied further, COVID vaccines cause an inflammatory response in the body, which is why some people get a fever or chills hours after your shot. Other things, such as illness, create an inflammatory response, which can affect a menstrual cycle.

"In general, we've known for some time that inflammation does influence menstrual cycles, including the amount of bleeding and all of the variables associated with menstruation that can be impacted by an immune response," he explains.
It's apparently only come to widespread attention now, Adalja suggests, because as a society we've been “very closely tracking COVID-19 vaccines” in particular.

But, as noted in a New York Times opinion piece by Alice Lu-Culligan and Dr. Randi Hutter Epstein, both of the Yale School of Medicine, clinical trials do not typically track and document menstrual changes as with other responses, which, they argue is “part of a long history of medicine not taking women’s bodies seriously.”

Such menstrual changes make sense, although "since the cycle is supported by the immune system at every turn, it is possible that the vaccines, which are designed to ignite an immune response, temporarily change the normal course of events. For example, an activated immune system might interfere with the usual balance of immune cells and molecules in the uterus. These types of disturbances have been found in studies to contribute to changes in periods, including heavy menstrual flows."

Changes like these are a potential, temporary side effect of the vaccine, which should be discussed with your doctor.

It's worth noting that “it’s not something that is associated with any kind of health risk," Adalja says. However, in a postmenopausal person, “that often prompts a lot of investigation to rule out things like endometrial cancer. It’s important for doctors, when evaluating postmenopausal bleeding, that the vaccine may be responsible for it and not necessarily an endometrial tumor.”

As someone who was concerned about what was going on in my body following my shots, this would have been a key piece of information to have.

Dr. Elizabeth Swenson, an ob-gyn at Wisp, agrees: “It’s always important to conduct research into how and why medications impact people’s bodies. ... The menstrual cycle is a key component of women’s health, and knowing as much as we can about anything that can potentially impact it is imperative to the future of women’s health.”

Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, says it’s important for people to know the response makes sense. While the theory has to be studied further, COVID vaccines cause an inflammatory response in the body, which is why some people get a fever or chills hours after your shot. Other things, such as illness, create an inflammatory response, which can affect a menstrual cycle.

"In general, we've known for some time that inflammation does influence menstrual cycles, including the amount of bleeding and all of the variables associated with menstruation that can be impacted by an immune response," he explains.
It's apparently only come to widespread attention now, Adalja suggests, because as a society we've been “very closely tracking COVID-19 vaccines” in particular.

Reactions: BelemNole
This is impossible, we have been told these shots are safe and effective and have no side effects but a sore arm by the lying liars that lie. Many of whom are on this board.
Literally never heard there were no side effects. In fact, they made you aware of side effects prior to jabbing you. As someone with congenital heart and lung defects, I didn’t die from Covid, which is what is was intended to do.

Literally never heard there were no side effects. In fact, they made you aware of side effects prior to jabbing you. As someone with congenital heart and lung defects, I didn’t die from Covid, which is what is was intended to do.
Unless you're over 70, your odds of survival from Covid with or without the vaccine were always 99+% But yes, praise the glorious vaccine!

What if you were born with a shitty heart and emphysema, and it takes you 6 weeks to get over the common cold? Yes, I will praise the glorious vaccine!
For what exactly? I understand you have your own health issues, but would you be praising your measles vaccine if you got the measles?

This is impossible, we have been told these shots are safe and effective and have no side effects but a sore arm by the lying liars that lie. Many of whom are on this board.

The article indicates there is no clinical health risk here.

And Covid will most assuredly do more damage than the vaccines do. That is simply not in question anymore.

I’ll tell that to the people I knew who were in their 30s, 40s and 50s when Covid killed them. None of them were overweight or unhealthy.
Before we had meds to stem the immune system over-response, people lost limbs, became diabetic, lost renal function, etc.

No, they didn't "die", but they had life-altering sequelae from Covid.

It doesn’t seem that most are as the new vaccine supply was exhausted very quickly. The anti vaxxers are mostly the same loud, dumb, and heavily brainwashed minority that can be found staking out the worst possible position on any and every issue.

I enjoy asking them what medical school they attended. 😆 🤣 😂

It's fair to say the vaccine was not all it was cracked up to be, and in some people, the side effects were much more severe than was known at the time (sore arm, fever, cold/flu symptoms were all disclosed as potential side effects).

This is obviously a risk with a vaccine developed and rolled out so quickly. The fact that some went so far as to require it or penalize those who didn't get it is where this went wrong.

It should have simply been made available to those who wanted it, and that's it. The left (and fauchi/CDC) is obviously to blame for this overreach. Just accept responsibility, deal with whatever lawsuits and judgements come from it, and then move on. And don't do it again. Simple. Mistakes were made.

It's fair to say the vaccine was not all it was cracked up to be, and in some people, the side effects were much more severe than was known at the time (sore arm, fever, cold/flu symptoms were all disclosed as potential side effects).

This is obviously a risk with a vaccine developed and rolled out so quickly.

The vaccines followed the SAME testing procedures and processes all the other ones do.
They simply accelerated the timeline, by beginning production phases BEFORE they had the data to minimize their risks.

Drug companies do NOT do this, because if they find a problem, that's millions in sunk costs they cannot recoup.

Those vaccines saved millions of lives, and a few minor side effects - which occur FAR less frequently than what the virus caused, are simply not something to whine about. Noting that myocarditis risks were 10-fold higher from the virus than they were from vaccines.

It should have simply been made available to those who wanted it, and that's it.

Who "forced" you to get a vaccine?

Certain jobs required it, typically in healthcare areas.

The people who skipped vaccines died at 3x to 6x higher rates (and still are). So, do continue to preach how "dangerous" these vaccines are - they are clearing our voting rolls of MAGAts more quickly than anything else does.

It doesn’t seem that most are as the new vaccine supply was exhausted very quickly. The anti vaxxers are mostly the same loud, dumb, and heavily brainwashed minority that can be found staking out the worst possible position on any and every issue.

I saw on the news that only 25% of Americans want to get the new booster and only 18% of Americans are fully vaccinated.

I saw on the news that only 25% of Americans want to get the new booster and only 18% of Americans are fully vaccinated.

And those hospitalized for Covid continue to be the ones who have skipped vaccine boosters.
Prior infection is no better than original vaccine doses against the newer strains.

We've seen this annually with influenza, for many many decades. It's why flu shots are recommended for all adults who are able to be vaccinated, and a requirement for many hospital workers.

But, for some odd reason, the GOP-brain is "broken" when it comes to Covid shots/boosters. They've been programmed to ignore the science behind respiratory viruses and vaccines.

As I'd posted before: The GOP is so programmable, they will do the exact opposite of anything a "liberal" tells them is good for them.

And those hospitalized for Covid continue to be the ones who have skipped vaccine boosters.
Prior infection is no better than original vaccine doses against the newer strains.

We've seen this annually with influenza, for many many decades. It's why flu shots are recommended for all adults who are able to be vaccinated, and a requirement for many hospital workers.

But, for some odd reason, the GOP-brain is "broken" when it comes to Covid shots/boosters. They've been programmed to ignore the science behind respiratory viruses and vaccines.

As I'd posted before: The GOP is so programmable, they will do the exact opposite of anything a "liberal" tells them is good for them.

Yep. It's the ultimate "Darwin Award."

Reactions: noleclone2
That's what they say it is intended to do now. That was not what they were saying initially. Remember they were supposed to by 95% effective, they could stop transmission, etc. When all of those lies where debunked, they changed their tune and now they claim they will make the virus less severe and prevent long covid. But again, I've not seen a lot of data to substantiate those claims either.

I believe the way the covid vaccine was handled, will damage the CDC's credibility for years and put doubt in peoples minds about all vaccines going forward. Our Son was asked by a doctor if he wanted our grandchild to get his vaccines! I'm sorry but there have always been a small percentage of anti vaccers, but I've never had a Dr. ask if we wanted to give a baby their vaccines. That tells you what his patients are saying to him.......

Of all the dumb shit the left says is broken but never fixes, they've fallen in love with vaccine that isn't worth the syringe it's in, but can't wait to get their next round!

Do you bro... do you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT