ADVERTISEMENT

Women's NCAA Basketball team forced to switch Mpls hotels due to "unsafe" conditions...

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (KUTV) — Idaho leaders have responded to allegations of racism toward University of Utah women's basketball players while they were staying in Coeur d'Alene for the NCAA Tournament.

Mayor Jim Hammond, Police Chief Lee White and representatives with the Kootenai County Task Force on Human Relations were among speakers at Tuesday's press conference.

The Task Force prefaced by clarifying that their information did not come from law enforcement, but a "very reliable third-party source."

They stated that on March 21, Utah basketball players were walking to a restaurant in Coeur d'Alene when a truck displaying a Confederate flag drove by and "the driver began spewing appalling racial slurs at them, also using the N-word."

The players reportedly encountered the same person, now joined by others, while leaving the restaurant. Officials stated the women were followed back to their hotel by the perpetrators, who continued yelling "racial slurs while revving their engines," which they believed "was a serious threat to the safety of those students."

Utah coach Lynne Roberts said the team changed hotels the next night due to safety concerns.

The fifth-seeded team played in Spokane, Washington, on Monday night against fourth-seeded Gonzaga in the second round of the NCAAs, losing 77-66.

“It was a distraction and upsetting and unfortunate. This should be a positive for everybody involved. This should be a joyous time for our program and to have kind of a black eye on the experience is unfortunate,” Roberts said.

Mayor Hammond apologized to the players, stating: "On behalf of the city and all of its communities, I strongly condemn the appalling treatment of the female college athletes who were visiting Coeur d'Alene."

Idaho Gov. Brad Little shared the following statement on social media Tuesday:

"Thank you to the Coeur d'Alene community for stepping up to reinforce that the city is a welcoming, safe place.

Idaho leaders and community members at all levels have been consistent and clear about our values - we fully reject racism in all its forms. There is no place for racism, hate, or bigotry in the great State of Idaho. We condemn bullies who seek to harass and silence others. I will continue the tradition of past Idaho governors in supporting our local leaders in their efforts to eradicate hate and bigotry from our communities.

Whenever disgusting incidents like these have occurred in our state, I have seen Idahoans come through every single time to stand up for our shared values - to show respect, love, and compassion for others. Idahoans are good people, and we must not allow the hateful, unacceptable actions of a few tarnish our state."

Far-right extremists have made a presence in the region. In 2018, at least nine hate groups operated in the region of Spokane and northern Idaho, including Identity Evropa, Proud Boys, ACT for America and America’s Promise Ministries, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White said the department still needs to speak with the Utah players and witnesses who were present during the alleged incident.

White said there are multiple crimes they are investigating in regards to this case, including malicious harassment, disorderly conduct, and a possible federal crime.

Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall also issued a statement in regards to the allegations:

"Coach Roberts and @UTAHWBB showed immense courage by speaking up about the harmful racism they experienced. I want them to know their city supports them. Across history, women have been driving forces for change. Today is no different and this team is made up of incredible athletes who embody this. Their courage in telling their story shows the work that still needs to happen to eliminate racism in our country."

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (KUTV) — Idaho leaders have responded to allegations of racism toward University of Utah women's basketball players while they were staying in Coeur d'Alene for the NCAA Tournament.

Mayor Jim Hammond, Police Chief Lee White and representatives with the Kootenai County Task Force on Human Relations were among speakers at Tuesday's press conference.

The Task Force prefaced by clarifying that their information did not come from law enforcement, but a "very reliable third-party source."

They stated that on March 21, Utah basketball players were walking to a restaurant in Coeur d'Alene when a truck displaying a Confederate flag drove by and "the driver began spewing appalling racial slurs at them, also using the N-word."

The players reportedly encountered the same person, now joined by others, while leaving the restaurant. Officials stated the women were followed back to their hotel by the perpetrators, who continued yelling "racial slurs while revving their engines," which they believed "was a serious threat to the safety of those students."

Utah coach Lynne Roberts said the team changed hotels the next night due to safety concerns.

The fifth-seeded team played in Spokane, Washington, on Monday night against fourth-seeded Gonzaga in the second round of the NCAAs, losing 77-66.

“It was a distraction and upsetting and unfortunate. This should be a positive for everybody involved. This should be a joyous time for our program and to have kind of a black eye on the experience is unfortunate,” Roberts said.

Mayor Hammond apologized to the players, stating: "On behalf of the city and all of its communities, I strongly condemn the appalling treatment of the female college athletes who were visiting Coeur d'Alene."

Idaho Gov. Brad Little shared the following statement on social media Tuesday:

"Thank you to the Coeur d'Alene community for stepping up to reinforce that the city is a welcoming, safe place.

Idaho leaders and community members at all levels have been consistent and clear about our values - we fully reject racism in all its forms. There is no place for racism, hate, or bigotry in the great State of Idaho. We condemn bullies who seek to harass and silence others. I will continue the tradition of past Idaho governors in supporting our local leaders in their efforts to eradicate hate and bigotry from our communities.

Whenever disgusting incidents like these have occurred in our state, I have seen Idahoans come through every single time to stand up for our shared values - to show respect, love, and compassion for others. Idahoans are good people, and we must not allow the hateful, unacceptable actions of a few tarnish our state."

Far-right extremists have made a presence in the region. In 2018, at least nine hate groups operated in the region of Spokane and northern Idaho, including Identity Evropa, Proud Boys, ACT for America and America’s Promise Ministries, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White said the department still needs to speak with the Utah players and witnesses who were present during the alleged incident.

White said there are multiple crimes they are investigating in regards to this case, including malicious harassment, disorderly conduct, and a possible federal crime.

Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall also issued a statement in regards to the allegations:

"Coach Roberts and @UTAHWBB showed immense courage by speaking up about the harmful racism they experienced. I want them to know their city supports them. Across history, women have been driving forces for change. Today is no different and this team is made up of incredible athletes who embody this. Their courage in telling their story shows the work that still needs to happen to eliminate racism in our country."

It would seem that there is, in fact, a place for racism, hate, and bigotry in the great State of Idaho.

Last edited:
Apparently, gang activity in and around their hotel was creating a problem.

Oh...wait....this was in Idaho, and the Utah Women's team in the NCAA Tourney.
Because, MAGAs...

Could have been worse - they might have seen a homeless person in a tent in Portland

Voted #1 by white Idahoans, because all the colored people have been scared away...

This Coeur d'Alene?
I'm shocked.

2da7685c12ed5a2ea90e86e36e9487ae.jpg

Coeur D'Alene has been a racist shithole for decades. I drove through it on the way to Seattle and my understated rule was that come hell or high water, even if the car was on fire, we'd be far enough from that shit palace before asking for help, if that was necessary. Seeing the endless racist morons that pervades this country is why I've chosen to take concrete legal protective actions. I don't care if I die but I'm going to do my best to take the racist hillbilly down with me. I don't bother them but I've heard enough n words in my life, including many in Iowa.

Apparently, gang activity in and around their hotel was creating a problem.

Oh...wait....this was in Idaho, and the Utah Women's team in the NCAA Tourney.
Because, MAGAs...

I call BS - Sounds like another Jussie Smollett story.

A white pickup truck made scary noises.

Last edited:
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
What happened? I don't have the time or interest to read the entire story, so what "racist" event took place?
Do you consider the “N”word racist? If not than nothing but good clean living.

They were also waving Confederate flags and shouting other racist slurs.

I bet if it was some awful thing done by Mexicans they would be able to find some security camera footage that would identify the culprits. But because it was white supremacists the tapes will never be sought out. They probably already know who did it anyway. Their neighbors and friends.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Do you consider the “N”word racist? If not than nothing but good clean living.

They were also waving Confederate flags and shouting other racist slurs.

I bet if it was some awful thing done by Mexicans they would be able to find some security camera footage that would identify the culprits. But because it was white supremacists the tapes will never be sought out. They probably already know who did it anyway. Their neighbors and friends.
LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT