ADVERTISEMENT

Woody Harrelson to play Archie Bunker in "All in the Family/The Jeffersons" live performance...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
ABC is putting a new spin on the live TV production.

The Disney-owned broadcast network is teaming with Jimmy Kimmel and legendary producer Norman Lear for a live, 90-minute, star-studded tribute to classic sitcoms All in the Family and its spinoff, The Jeffersons. The event — Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's All in the Family and The Jeffersons — is set to air May 22 and will feature Woody Harrelson taking on Carroll O'Connor's famed role of Archie Bunker. Jamie Foxx will play George Jefferson in the role originally made famous by Sherman Hemsley. Lear and Kimmel lead an exec producing team that includes Brent Miller (Lear's Act III producing partner), Gary Sanchez Productions' Will Ferrell and Adam McKay and Justin Theroux. The live event will re-create an original episode from both of the Emmy-winning Lear comedies. Lear and Kimmel will host the night, with 10-time Emmy winner James Burrows (Will and Grace) set to direct.

The one-night-only event will also see Marisa Tomei play Archie's beleaguered wife, Edith Bunker, and Wanda Sykes as George's wife, Louise Jefferson. Ellie Kemper will play Archie and Edith's daughter, Gloria Stivic; Ferrell will appear as George and Louise's friend, Tom Willis; and Justina Machado — the star of Lear's since canceled One Day at a Time reboot — will play George and Louise's housekeeper, Florence Johnston. Additional stars will be announced soon.

“The fact that a group of Oscar winners eagerly agreed to play these iconic characters is a testament to the greatness of these shows and their creator, Norman Lear. To be a part of this is a dream come true for me and for everyone involved," Kimmel said.

Added Lear: "They have said over and over again that these two shows were meant for the '70s and would not work today. We disagree with them and are here to prove, with two great casts depicting All in the Family and The Jeffersons, the timelessness of human nature. I cannot wait to see what these glorious performers make in our time of these indelible characters, and I couldn’t be more grateful for Jimmy Kimmel, Sony and ABC for their collective willingness to conceive and pursue this never-been-done-before event."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...mily-jeffersons-live-event-set-at-abc-1203282

Thoughts?

Reactions: SCHawkFan
Sounds really cool but I bet they use the most tame episodes of both. I'm with the side that says this younger generation would struggle with the things Archie said instead of understanding people could actually learn from these shows while watching. I can remember laughing at their racist comments but also it reinforced in me, "What a stupid thing to think."

I agree with the above posters. What made that show were the outrageous and politically incorrect statements the characters made.

I hate to say it, it could be a good show but too many ultra left wingers would be upset by the ‘insensitive’ language.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Sounds really cool but I bet they use the most tame episodes of both. I'm with the side that says this younger generation would struggle with the things Archie said instead of understanding people could actually learn from these shows while watching. I can remember laughing at their racist comments but also it reinforced in me, "What a stupid thing to think."
Jeffersons as well. George used honky and cracker all the time. Those 2 classics would never get airtime now cause we too woke. Sad.

If they did those shows today it wouldn't be the left wingers that would be upset it would be the opposite. The whole idea behind All in the Family and The Jeffersons was pointing out the ridiculousness of the main characters bigotry. I wish we did have those kind of shows today. Those shows made people laugh and at the same time they helped people recognize the silliness of some ideas.

Last edited:
One problem I see with this scenario...

The Bunkers and the Jeffersons lived in a working class neighborhood. The plot for "The Jeffersons" is that George made something of himself through his growing dry cleaning empire and climbed out of that neighborhood and became rich.

Will this be poor Jeffersons or wealthy Jeffersons?

Thoughts?
svj7m83jhnf21.jpg

I would spend the rest of my life hitting that if she would let me.

Reactions: The Tradition
One problem I see with this scenario...

The Bunkers and the Jeffersons lived in a working class neighborhood. The plot for "The Jeffersons" is that George made something of himself and climbed out of that neighborhood and became rich.

Will this be poor Jeffersons or wealthy Jeffersons?
If it's based on The Jeffersons, they will be wealthy.

Edited to add: Your OP lists an actress for the Jeffersons maid so it's definitely after they've "moved on up".

Last edited:
Reactions: The Tradition
George Jefferson proved no matter what race you are anybody can do anything in America.
Archie acted like a bitter old man.

It will be ok but nothing special they won't have the guts to make it like the old one.
I disagree. It isn’t a matter of having the guts. It’s a matter of appealing to today’s audience. I think they’ll play Archie as an over the top racist. O’Connor’s Archie was certainly a racist, but he played him in a somewhat subtle way, more in tune with the racism of the 1970s. Woody isn’t that good of an actor. His portrayal will be much more overt. Archie will he portrayed as a villain while George Jefferson, who was just as much of a racist at Archie, will be portrayed as virtuous.
I’m curious how they will depict Mike. Mike is a character who is over educated and under employed. He married Archie’s daughter and is unable to support her without Archie’s assistance. Part of what made All In The Family great was the conflict between the blue-collar Archie and the academic Meathead. I’m not sure how well that dynamic plays to today’s audiences.

I heard an interview with Carroll O'Connor and he said the absolute key to playing Archie Bunker was to try not to be funny. Archie was funny because he was serious. I doubt Woody will pull this off like O'Connor did. I'd be shocked if this worked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT