ADVERTISEMENT

World is on brink of catastrophic warming, U.N. climate change report says

Indeed.
Sad sad stuff.
The day of reckoning with damaging the climate is coming faster than many think.
El Nino is expected to develop this year and just wait til you see some of the heat waves this summer.
It could shatter records around the world
"Just you wait"..-----A quote from every climate alarmist since 1975.

Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance on the subject. It's not the heat that's the problem for life on earth, its the speed with which the temperatures are rising.

Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance on the subject. It's not the heat that's the problem for life on earth, its the speed with which the temperatures are rising.
Sorry if I don’t subscribe to your the sky is falling theory.

The earth as normal will begin a cooling period once this modest warming cycle ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoopsbrother
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we hit +3 degress celsius before 2070. That's emitting CO2 at the current rate...but it's still increasing. The bad stuff that happens at that point will be overwhelming.
What are China and India‘s roles in the increasing emissions?

Reactions: Pete Malloy
Doesn't matter,.. humans won't be willing or able to accept the level of pain required to move the needle on this topic..

Just what is it o great one that my brain needs to understand?
Since you're unable to use google I guess I'll help:

USA: 25%, China 12.7%, India 3%. Understand now?

That’s hard to believe with the 90+ coal plants China is building.

What does this have to do with the present?

Doesn't matter,.. humans won't be willing or able to accept the level of pain required to move the needle on this topic..
Bingo. Those who are a part of the climate cult don't actually do anything to change their ways. Its a simple way for them to feel good about themselves by disparaging others. Bill Maher hammered home this point perfectly in a monologue a few months ago.

What are China and India‘s roles in the increasing emissions?
You remember that post about all the progress our unrestrained burning of fossil fuels brought us? The burning that made our single country responsible for one-fourth of the excess CO2 in the atmosphere? Are you going to say that since WE fvcked things up, no one else can join us? Go ahead...give it a shot. Watch China and India tell you to GFY.

Are they a problem going forward? OF COURSE! They want what we already have. We better start leading from the front on this - and that means drastic, painful, substantive changes in our energy use - if we expect to influence them at all. Otherwise, they'll be fully justified in telling us to get fvcked.

What does this have to do with the present?
Why would I bother trying to explain simple concepts to somebody that has no capacity or desire to understand?

The fact is that as roughly 4% of the world's population we have contributed to 25% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions. Do we bear no responsibility for that? I remember a time when conservatives actually understood what accountability is. Not anymore.

The US has contributed to the destruction of our planet more than any other country on earth, doubly more than a country 4 times our size. As the world "leader", it's our responsibility to set the tone for the rest of the world to follow.

"Just you wait"..-----A quote from every climate alarmist since 1975.
Pretty easy not to notice when you just ignore everything that's happening..

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/ft-lauderdale-airport.417025/

200.gif

It must suck each and every day for climate freaks. Worry upon worry, crying in the corner when they see a pick-up truck drive by their air-conditioned houses, and feeling guilty enough to purchase an EV and turning a blind eye to the child labor in the Congo used to supply their virtuous batteries.

Why would I bother trying to explain simple concepts to somebody that has no capacity or desire to understand?

The fact is that as roughly 4% of the world's population we have contributed to 25% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions. Do we bear no responsibility for that? I remember a time when conservatives actually understood what accountability is. Not anymore.

The US has contributed to the destruction of our planet more than any other country on earth, doubly more than a country 4 times our size. As the world "leader", it's our responsibility to set the tone for the rest of the world to follow.

Why argue or be upset?

Pretty easy not to notice when you just ignore everything that's happening..

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/ft-lauderdale-airport.417025/

200.gif
Again when the billionaires and politicians give up their perks which lead to quite the carbon footprint I think that is when we can ask the regular folks to do the same. Until then you ate just and old man yelling at the clouds. Nobody really cares. Again go watch the Maher clip if you want to understand why most people simply don’t care.

Reactions: Fair Child
Again when the billionaires and politicians give up their perks which lead to quite the carbon footprint I think that is when we can ask the regular folks to do the same. Until then you ate just and old man yelling at the clouds. Nobody really cares. Again go watch the Maher clip if you want to understand why most people simply don’t care.
100 companies in the world produce over 70% of the emissions. You think I'm railing against regular folk? LOL.

**** Bill Maher, he's part of the problem.

Yet another warning: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...uld-collapse-century-study-warns/11641712002/

Reactions: cigaretteman
Human activities have transformed the planet at a pace and scale unmatched in recorded history, causing irreversible damage to communities and ecosystems, according to one of the most definitive reports ever published about climate change. Leading scientists warned that the world’s plans to combat these changes are inadequate and that more aggressive actions must be taken to avert catastrophic warming.

The report released Monday from the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) found that the world is likely to miss its most ambitious climate target — limiting warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial temperatures — within a decade. Beyond that threshold, scientists have found, climate disasters will become so extreme that people will not be able to adapt. Basic components of the Earth system will be fundamentally, irrevocably altered. Heat waves, famines and infectious diseases could claim millions of additional lives by century’s end.
Monday’s assessment synthesizes years of studies on the causes and consequences of rising temperatures, leading U.N. Secretary General António Guterres to demand that developed countries such as the United States eliminate carbon emissions by 2040 — a decade earlier than the rest of the world.
ADVERTISING
With few nations on track to fulfill their climate commitments and with the developing world already suffering disproportionately from climate disasters, he said, rich countries have a responsibility to act faster than their low-income counterparts.
The IPCC report shows humanity has reached a “critical moment in history,” IPCC Chair Hoesung Lee said. The world has all the knowledge, tools and financial resources needed to achieve its climate goals, but after decades of disregarding scientific warnings and delaying climate efforts, the window for action is rapidly closing.
Calling the report a “how-to guide to defuse the climate time-bomb,” Guterres announced on Monday an “acceleration agenda” that would speed up global actions on climate.
Emerging economies including China and India — which plan to reach net zero in 2060 and 2070, respectively — must hasten their emissions-cutting efforts alongside developed nations, Guterres said.
Both the U.N. chief and the IPCC also called for the world to phase out coal, oil and gas, which are responsible for more than three-quarters of global greenhouse gas emissions.
“This report offers hope, and it provides a warning,” Lee told reporters Monday. “The choices we make now and in the next few years will reverberate around the world for hundreds, even thousands, of years.”
Greenhouse gas emissions numbers are way off. Here’s why that matters.
4:59
The Post found that countries around the world are underreporting their greenhouse gas emissions, and that true emissions are likely 16 to 23 percent higher. (Video: Danielle Kunitz, Joshua Carroll/The Washington Post)

A stark scientific outlook​

Already, the IPCC’s synthesis report shows, humanity has fundamentally and irreversibly transformed the Earth system. Emissions from burning fossil fuels and other planet-warming activities have increased global average temperatures by at least 1.1 degrees Celsius (2 degrees Fahrenheit) since the start of the industrial era. The amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere hasn’t been this high since archaic humans carved the first stone tools.
These changes have caused irrevocable damage to communities and ecosystems, evidence shows: Fish populations are dwindling, farms are less productive, infectious diseases have multiplied, and weather disasters are escalating to unheard-of extremes. The risks from this relatively low level of warming are turning out to be greater than scientists anticipated — not because of any flaw in their research, but because human-built infrastructure, social networks and economic systems have proved exceptionally vulnerable to even small amounts of climate change, the report said.
The suffering is worst in the world’s poorest countries and low-lying island nations, which are home to roughly 1 billion people yet account for less than 1 percent of humanity’s total planet-warming pollution, the report says. But as climate disruption increases with rising temperatures, not even the wealthiest and most well-protected places will be immune.
Homes in Pakistan's southwestern Baluchistan province were inundated in August. (Zahid Hussain/AP)
The researchers say it’s all but inevitable that the world will surpass 1.5 degrees Celsius of warming by the early 2030s — pushing the planet past a threshold at which scientists say climate change will become increasingly unmanageable.
In 2018, the IPCC found that a 1.5C world is overwhelmingly safer than one that is 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) warmer than the preindustrial era. At the time, scientists said humanity would have to zero out carbon emissions by 2050 to meet the 1.5-degree target and by 2070 to avoid warming beyond 2 degrees.
Five years later, humanity isn’t anywhere close to reaching either goal. Unless nations adopt new environmental policies — and follow through on the ones already in place — global average temperatures could warm by 3.2 degrees Celsius (5.8 degrees Fahrenheit) by the end of the century, the synthesis report says. In that scenario, a child born today will live to see several feet of sea level rise, the extinction of hundreds of species and the migration of millions of people from places where they can no longer survive.
“We are not doing enough, and the poor and vulnerable are bearing the brunt of our collective failure to act,” said Madeleine Diouf Sarr, Senegal’s top climate official and the chair for a group of least-developed countries that negotiate together at the U.N.
She pointed to the damage wrought by Cyclone Freddy, the longest-lasting and most energetic tropical storm on record, which has killed hundreds of people and displaced thousands more after bombarding southern Africa and Madagascar for more than a month. The report shows that higher temperatures make storms more powerful and sea level rise makes flooding from these storms more intense. Meanwhile, the death toll from these kinds of disasters is 15 times higher in vulnerable nations than in wealthier parts of the world.
If the world stays on its current warming track, the IPCC says, global flood damage will be as much as four times higher than if people limit temperature rise to 1.5C.
“The world cannot ignore the human cost of inaction,” Sarr said.

OK ;)

I am not a climate change denier. It exists and I’m worried about the planets future. However, until we address all the wasted energy we use for our own pleasure and amusement, then I will be worried. How many restaurants and hotels burn natural gas fireplaces and pits? Cruise line industry. Boats, luxury yachts, etc. Our only concern seems to be automobiles. And the solution to gasoline requires other natural resources to build them and provide them power. As long as our politicians continue to buy million dollar mansions and live lives of luxury, it’s really hard to take this crisis seriously.

Just heard on NPR on the way to work, that the Joshua trees are being endangered by climate change. First, worst draught in a thousand years (so it's been worse before), but second, development has isolated them so they cannot reproduce. So the "climate" that has changed that is the real effect is there are houses there now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT