ADVERTISEMENT

Worst 3 yr O-Line recruiting in school history?

tony0051

HR MVP
Mar 29, 2006
2018- Cody Ince, Jeff Jenkins
2019- Ezra Miller, Noah Fenske, Tyler Endres, Justin Britt
2020- Josh Volk, Tyler Elsbury
Linderbaum was '18 and Richman 20 but they were DL upon recruiting. Polasek inherited talent and his last 3 recruiting classes were ass! Injuries were an issue but only Ince showed a glimpse of quality and that was at guard.

Linderbaum was '18 and Richman 20 but they were DL upon recruiting. Polasek inherited talent and his last 3 recruiting classes were ass! Injuries were an issue but only Ince showed a glimpse of quality and that was at guard.
If you look at the 13-16 classes...kinda a similar trend...2 -3 quality players and a pile of turds...OL recruiting has been a little uneven at best...Some very good/elite performers and alot of total whiffs.

Elsbury is on the roster and is a key backup on the OL at LG, C and RG so he does not fit your complaint, Endres did not have a Outland Trophy career so I guess he qualifies as a failure. IA didn't win a BT or National title so the rest are all failures
gee in the last 6 years they have been such failures that IA only won 51 games to 23 losses. with one BT West Championship. oh boo hoo boo ****ing hoo.

Richman was recruited to play OL, so he should be on the list.

nobody can foresee how recruit will turn out. so nobody can call them failures or recruiting busts. injuries have ended many players career.
Blake Larson was a highly ranked OL and he ended up having 3 back surgeries before he gave up FB. yet some have labeled him a failure.

some of these posters that claim these players as failures, wasted scholarships and or busts have never dealt with injuries. the OL BIGGEST enemy is a back injury and leg injury as both can end their career. with them carrying all that weight they are more prone to these types of injuries.

I think the thing to always remember when critically analyzing a choice in hindsight is what were the other choices at the time. It is easy to look back at Iowa's OL recruiting classes and call them a bust, because, honestly they were for various reasons. However, considering that a lot of Iowa's offensive line talent comes from in-state, what were the other choices? Missed on Downing? Remsburg? Maybe? Anyone else I am missing? Other than that Iowa was able to get most of the other highly rated prospects and it just didn't work out one way or the other.

I think the thing to always remember when critically analyzing a choice in hindsight is what were the other choices at the time. It is easy to look back at Iowa's OL recruiting classes and call them a bust, because, honestly they were for various reasons. However, considering that a lot of Iowa's offensive line talent comes from in-state, what were the other choices? Missed on Downing? Remsburg? Maybe? Anyone else I am missing? Other than that Iowa was able to get most of the other highly rated prospects and it just didn't work out one way or the other.
As far as out of state guys go..Alt(Notre Dame)and Skoronski(Northwestern)were players the Iowa staff wanted...Iowa obviously would have taken them over some of the others that ended up signing..

This year will be a pivotal one for not only all of the 3rd and 4th year players that are in place like Richmond, Colby, Jones, Myslinski, Dunker, Liddle, and Elsbury, but also the coaches responsible for recruitment and development of those players. Youth can't be used as an excuse for poor line play anymore given the years that all of these guys have in the program.

Alt was ours for the taking and we should have secured his verbal. We really missed the boat on that one.
Just read back through some articles involving his recruitment..my previous statement about the staff "taking him over others that signed is probably incorrect"..They took verbals from listed offensive tackles-Stephens, Colby, and Davidikov, before Alt made his decision. Iowa had also recieved a verbal from Dunker(interior OL) earliar. Myslinski(Center) was a late verbal due to his decommittment from Texas. Iowa has done well with guys like Alt in the past..Kids that hadn't played OL before or had very limited time playing OL..Guys like Nelson,Gallery,Boettger, etc...etc...
This one hurts...Kid is a stud and looks to be on his way to being a top NFL draft pick.

This is as big a reason as any our offense has been poor. I think it’s fair to say that we should’ve won, one extra game, at least the last few years, if not for an extremely porous offensive line!

With that said, I believe we have the experience now, that we probably might be in the upswing, but most assuredly our offensive line recruiting & development has been extremely poor…

Very poor quarterback play/development lost us another game!

We are right there…. we can either go up or down!

Just read back through some articles involving his recruitment..my previous statement about the staff "taking him over others that signed is probably incorrect"..They took verbals from listed offensive tackles-Stephens, Colby, and Davidikov, before Alt made his decision. Iowa had also recieved a verbal from Dunker(interior OL) earliar. Myslinski(Center) was a late verbal due to his decommittment from Texas. Iowa has done well with guys like Alt in the past..Kids that hadn't played OL before or had very limited time playing OL..Guys like Nelson,Gallery,Boettger, etc...etc...
This one hurts...Kid is a stud and looks to be on his way to being a top NFL draft pick.
we have yet to see how most of those will turn out.

Stephens was a 4*
Colby was a 4*
Davidko was a 4* AA Game starter
Dunker was a 4*
Myskinski was rated as high as the # 2 Center in his class

so this one really didn't hurt as we won't really know till after their college careers are done,

even Richman was 4* by 247 Main board.
Elsbury was a 4* by ESPN
that's at least 6 4* OL since 2020.

the OL has not been a bust, as some make it out to be. there have been OL that have given up FB for various reasons with a couple transferring to FCS schools. but they are not busts.

Reactions: F5n5
we have yet to see how most of those will turn out.

Stephens was a 4*
Colby was a 4*
Davidko was a 4* AA Game starter
Dunker was a 4*
Myskinski was rated as high as the # 2 Center in his class

so this one really didn't hurt as we won't really know till after their college careers are done,

even Richman was 4* by 247 Main board.
Elsbury was a 4* by ESPN
that's at least 6 4* OL since 2020.

the OL has not been a bust, as some make it out to be. there have been OL that have given up FB for various reasons with a couple transferring to FCS schools. but they are not busts.
Iowa needed Tackles last year and could use Alt this year. Colby was a complete failure at Tackle. Stephens can't play Tackle. Dunker and Myslinski are obviously interior O-lineman. Not having a player like Alt(legacy recruit) playing at a position that was weak,at best last year,hurt and hurt bad(watch Colby attempt to block anyone during the Michigan game).
Alt is potentially a top 10 NFL pick. You're saying you would rather have any single player on your list playing last year or heading into this year over Alt at Tackle?

Last edited:
Iowa needed Tackles last year and could use Alt this year. Colby was a complete failure at Tackle. Stephens can't play Tackle. Dunker and Myslinski are obviously interior O-lineman. Not having a player like Alt(legacy recruit) playing at a position that was weak,at best last year,hurt and hurt bad(watch Colby attempt to block anyone during the Michigan game).
Alt is potentially a top 10 NFL pick. Your saying you would rather have any single player on your list playing last year or heading into this year over Alt?
yeah Davidkov. 6'6 300 lb plus would have been perfect for RT.

Wirffs was a US Army AA and he turned out just fine the AA game was called the US Army AA game starter.
and these were AA game starters and did a damn good job as starters
Epenesa
Linderbaum
Nwankpa
Cooper DeJean
LB Jacobs to bad he is now at Oregon
Jones is just a RSJR
Davidkov is the only one not to finish his career 1 out of 8 is a pretty good success rate, now lately these were Under Armour AA's
TE Lachay
OL Lauck
OL Leighton Jones
LB Kueter

the recruiting has improved the OL Depth is growing now its just a matter of getting them experience, as for the next RT I think Lauck will fill that spot. then I feel 6'9 Leonard will take the LT spot when Richman leaves after the 2024 season.

the OL recruiting has been improving just fine.

Reactions: F5n5
I thought Fenske was going to be a solid contributor.
What happened there?
Mobility?

I thought Fenske was going to be a solid contributor.
What happened there?
Mobility?
Read an article from last April(2022)...he mentioned finally having a "teacher" in the Oline room when talking about the CU Oline coach. Said he had needed that for awhile. Stated he needed somebody that could help him take what he learned in the meeting room out to the field with him and now has confidence in knowing what to do when a play is called...Mentioned he was in better shape/running faster..etc.. now after being at CU.

Kinda sounds like he didn't have much confidence in his abilities while being coached by Polasek at Iowa...Basically wanted a change of scenery and a new start somewhere else.

Read an article from last April(2022)...he mentioned finally having a "teacher" in the Oline room when talking about the CU Oline coach. Said he had needed that for awhile. Stated he needed somebody that could help him take what he learned in the meeting room out to the field with him and now has confidence in knowing what to do when a play is called...Mentioned he was in better shape/running faster..etc.. now after being at CU.

Kinda sounds like he didn't have much confidence in his abilities while being coached by Polasek at Iowa...Basically wanted a change of scenery and a new start somewhere else.
Thanks.

‘the OL has not been a bust,’
Said one person only.
Why it has been a bust the past two years is the discussion. The fact that it has been a bust has been established.

If Iowa passed on Alt as some have implied that is a fairly big miss. Was he a legacy as well?

If our recruiting has not been a bust, then it's been the development. I don't completely buy into the "too young" argument since we see plenty of 4* guys contribute at other schools when they are sophomores. It's kind of painful to rewatch 2022 games and watch as opposing DLs blow past our OL without even being touched most of the time. Combine that with the slowest QB in the history of Iowa football and I'm surprised we hit 8 wins.

Reactions: amahawk and GHawk
Said one person only.
Why it has been a bust the past two years is the discussion. The fact that it has been a bust has been established.

If Iowa passed on Alt as some have implied that is a fairly big miss. Was he a legacy as well?
His dad is Chief's HOF inductee-Jon Alt. 1st round pick from Iowa in 1984?

Said one person only.

Iowa did not pass on Alt. He passed, in part because of the prestige of ND, and in part because of Doyle's firing.

Iowa did not pass on Alt. He passed, in part because of the prestige of ND, and in part because of Doyle's firing.
Alt told the staff months before he verballed to ND that Iowa wasn't an option for him? I ask because Iowa had accepted all of the OL verbals outside of Myslinski before Alt decided for Notre Dame...

Alt told the staff months before he verballed to ND that Iowa wasn't an option for him? I ask because Iowa had accepted all of the OL verbals outside of Myslinski before Alt decided for Notre Dame...
Iowa recruited Alt till the end, at no point was he not a take for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT