ADVERTISEMENT

Its not all Brian and its not all Spencer

Pretty sure a real OC would put some kind of plan together, especially midway through the season when the line has proven to be a weak spot all year.

And even if the OL is as historically bad as you're saying, isn't that the fault of the OC? Isn't he in charge? There's a lot more to being an OC than playcalling. Why has the OL performance fallen off so badly under BF? Or does he get a pass on that too?
Has it fallen off? We've had Wirfs leave early, Linderbaum leave early, we've dealt with a ton of injuries and transfers, and guys giving up football at unplanned times when you can't just get a guy from the portal.

Has it fallen off? We've had Wirfs leave early, Linderbaum leave early, we've dealt with a ton of injuries and transfers, and guys giving up football at unplanned times when you can't just get a guy from the portal.
We've had plenty of DL and DBs leave early, hasn't seemed to have hurt us too badly there.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
well no, spencer doesn't throw screen passes very well... and we would just blame Brian for that, no matter how much green grass is between the back and the endzone.
I know what screen pass you're talking about, the one during the SDSU game in the North End Zone. It was set up perfectly, with nothing but open field in front of us and an walk in TD. Unfortunately, our line forgot to even attempt to touch their DL before peeling and Spencer had someone in his face (even though he should have easily made the throw and taken the contact). Pass falls incomplete and people bitch about the play call.

There's countless plays like this during a game if anyone actually stays sober enough to watch and evaluate they could see, but it's a hell of a lot easier to just blame the playcalling.

I said it last year and it's still true, our OL sucks and our QB sucks. This season has just compounded that. Running walk-on WRs isn't helping much either.

I know what screen pass you're talking about, the one during the SDSU game in the North End Zone. It was set up perfectly, with nothing but open field in front of us and an walk in TD. Unfortunately, our line forgot to even attempt to touch their DL before peeling and Spencer had someone in his face (even though he should have easily made the throw and taken the contact). Pass falls incomplete and people bitch about the play call.

There's countless plays like this during a game if anyone actually stays sober enough to watch and evaluate they could see, but it's a hell of a lot easier to just blame the playcalling.

I said it last year and it's still true, our OL sucks and our QB sucks. This season has just compounded that. Running walk-on WRs isn't helping much either.
People complaining about the red zone reverse probably didn't watch the Holiday Bowl vs USC when we ran pretty much the same play and TT3 all but walked into the endzone.

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
People complaining about the red zone reverse probably didn't watch the Holiday Bowl vs USC when we ran pretty much the same play and TT3 all but walked into the endzone.
Hell, we ran one against SDSU in the red zone (or maybe to get into the red zone) for a first down with Bruce. Next play Williams fumbles around the 5. Naturally, Brian gets shit on for that series.

I've just come to realize people don't understand shit about playcalling.

Pretty sure a real OC would put some kind of plan together, especially midway through the season when the line has proven to be a weak spot all year.

And even if the OL is as historically bad as you're saying, isn't that the fault of the OC? Isn't he in charge? There's a lot more to being an OC than playcalling. Why has the OL performance fallen off so badly under BF? Or does he get a pass on that too?
What sort of play would you put together for a line that can't block? Be sure and let me know what scheme there is for piss poor run and pass blocking sophomores.

The OC/QB coach is responsible for the OL play? The hell are you talking about? The OL has fallen off under Brian? The last time we've had a good OL was probably when Brian was coaching the OL.

You should stick to kissing ass on CF.

What sort of play would you put together for a line that can't block? Be sure and let me know what scheme there is for piss poor run and pass blocking sophomores.

The OC/QB coach is responsible for the OL play? The hell are you talking about? The OL has fallen off under Brian? The last time we've had a good OL was probably when Brian was coaching the OL.

You should stick to kissing ass on CF.
Lol, so the OC isn't ultimately responsible for the OL. Got it.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
Yeah and the OC/DC oversee and are in charge of the position coaches.
200w.gif

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Lol, I can't imagine starting at CB in the B1G is all that much easier for a young guy than at OL.
The issue is, Iowa recruits a lot of guys who need time to develop and grow. We tend to recruit a lot of 6'5 280 LB guards who might not have the best physique for that weight, who need a couple years in the S/C program to get up into the 290's 300's and then if you have a guy who is used to playing in pass-heavy offenses in high school, they don't do a lot of firing off the ball and playing with leverage, they don't know/understand zone blocking concepts. aren't used to combo blocking, reaching to the next level, etc. A CB at iowa has zone responsibility (mostly) and probably doesn't have to put in 20+ lbs of good weight to be ready early.

The issue is, Iowa recruits a lot of guys who need time to develop and grow. We tend to recruit a lot of 6'5 280 LB guards who might not have the best physique for that weight, who need a couple years in the S/C program to get up into the 290's 300's and then if you have a guy who is used to playing in pass-heavy offenses in high school, they don't do a lot of firing off the ball and playing with leverage, they don't know/understand zone blocking concepts. aren't used to combo blocking, reaching to the next level, etc. A CB at iowa has zone responsibility (mostly) and probably doesn't have to put in 20+ lbs of good weight to be ready early.
And believe it or not, young CBs in our simplified defensive system, coached by the great Phil Parker, also can struggle. Sort of like DJ Johnson did on this play as a freshman.

Agree, I've never said the OL has been anything but really bad. I'm just not putting all of the blame there and think BF and SP are just as responsible for our pathetic offense.

Agree, I've never said the OL has been anything but really bad. I'm just not putting all of the blame there and think BF and SP are just as responsible for our pathetic offense.

There's not a unit at a bigger disadvantage than Iowa's Oline in the country. Its been that way for awhile

Reactions: DewHawk
And, of course, Chris Doyle is gone. He was a huge part of the OL success. Sorry to bring it up again, but it's a real contributing factor to our failure.

But really, it's unbelievable how every phase of our offense is struggling. WR, OL, QB....crazy shit.
You don't suppose we chose the wrong person to be the sacrificial lamb, do you? Mr. Doyle was not the only one being accused of using bad (racist) words.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFsdisciple
You don't suppose we chose the wrong person to be the sacrificial lamb, do you? Mr. Doyle was not the only one being accused of using bad (racist) words.
I don’t really think RB is doing a bad job. We know this because if was we would see it show up on both sides of the ball. Records are being broken in the weight room often. And as often as the defense is asked to go back out there, I haven’t seen a lot of conditioning issues. So I don’t think CD would have that much of an impact. I really think it’s been attrition more than anything that’s hurting the line. A program like Iowa can’t absorb a lot of losses like a Wirfs, Linderbaum, Kallenberger, Miller, Britt (oft injured) etc.

Depending on when they go like a Charlie Jones you can’t always go and find a suitable replacement in the portal and Iowa doesn’t recruit a lot of day 1 ready guys so you’re playing the best 11 you can piece together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT