ADVERTISEMENT

Worst hotel/motel you've ever stayed at

Crowne Plaza Jerusalem. Walked into my room and it wasn’t just completely filthy but there were multiple dead cockroaches in plain sight. Couldn’t leave as our customer had booked the hotel and some were staying there as well - at least got the room switched.

At breakfast the next morning I was relating my room nightmare when a mouse ran by our table in the hotel restaurant.

That place was filthy in the public areas, I can’t imagine what the behind the scenes areas looked like.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Not just for poors, could be a result of poor planning and desperation, or an unanticipated stop due to factors beyond your control, or the price of the hotel was already worked into the hourly rate you were paying...in any event. Let's see the biggest hell hole you've ever had to stay at overnight.

Mine was in Orchard Park, NY, literally a stone throw away from New Era Field. Kind of an odd duck in the NFL because that town is basically just a tiny suburb with almost nothing around the stadium. Anyway, this was as a result of spending an extra day in Niagara Falls (with a number of girls from the area, of course). I remember this place being even worse than pictures I could find, but it was dingy and dirty as hell. Guy at the front desk didn't really speak any English at all. Motel 6 on 33rd Ave in CR would be a close second.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...t_Inn_Orchard_Park-Orchard_Park_New_York.html

I flew direct to New Delhi and because our flight was late, missed my connection to Bangalore. Ended up having to go to a hotel just off of the airport property. Opened the room door, and it looked fine honestly. Clean, very basic room. All I wanted was a shower after being on a 17 hour flight so I opened the door and the lights were really faint...could barely see a thing. Had to go through another door to the shower which was this really long tiled room with a window at the end and the shower head on the other. I turned on the shower and started soaping up and noticed what I thought were moths or something flying up by the light. Again, lights were super faint but I looked closer at the other side of the room by the window and noticed it looked like the wall was moving. Took a step closer and realized it was an entire wall of these bugs that looked like mayflies swarming. Turns out the neon light for the hotel sign was attached right outside the window and the window was open. Thousands upon thousands of them climbing on top of each other. Got the f*ck outta there, slammed the door shut, and that was that. Most disturbing hotel experience I’ve ever had hands down.

We do it all the time. On purpose. On a road trip with the family we will frequently choose the cheapest motel we can find by the hwy to spend 11PM to 6:30 AM. One time we got a room where the door locks were crappy and useless and I asked for a different room. Basically as long as the door locks securely, IDGAF how crappy it is. Haven’t been murdered yet.
It’s ok to just admit you’re a poor bro.

The Bear Paw Inn in Cody, Wyoming. The owners daughter actually road a horse in the parking lot during evening.

Some dump NW of the St. Louis airport when we were down there looking for housing prior to residency. Tried out multiple rooms-the first one the ceiling was leaking water on the bed. The next the beds were both broke in the middle creating a disgusting hammock. Finally there was a room that there beds were only half broke. The parking lot was filled with broken glass, blunts. Rooms had bugs.

We elected to stay in a much nicer part of town for residency.

Reactions: iahawks10
Some dump NW of the St. Louis airport when we were down there looking for housing prior to residency. Tried out multiple rooms-the first one the ceiling was leaking water on the bed. The next the beds were both broke in the middle creating a disgusting hammock. Finally there was a room that there beds were only half broke. The parking lot was filled with broken glass, blunts. Rooms had bugs.

We elected to stay in a much nicer part of town for residency.

Did it share a parking lot with a waffle place?

I flew direct to New Delhi and because our flight was late, missed my connection to Bangalore. Ended up having to go to a hotel just off of the airport property. Opened the room door, and it looked fine honestly. Clean, very basic room. All I wanted was a shower after being on a 17 hour flight so I opened the door and the lights were really faint...could barely see a thing. Had to go through another door to the shower which was this really long tiled room with a window at the end and the shower head on the other. I turned on the shower and started soaping up and noticed what I thought were moths or something flying up by the light. Again, lights were super faint but I looked closer at the other side of the room by the window and noticed it looked like the wall was moving. Took a step closer and realized it was an entire wall of these bugs that looked like mayflies swarming. Turns out the neon light for the hotel sign was attached right outside the window and the window was open. Thousands upon thousands of them climbing on top of each other. Got the f*ck outta there, slammed the door shut, and that was that. Most disturbing hotel experience I’ve ever had hands down.
No geckos? :)

The Big Ten I think was called in Iowa City. My girlfriend kicked my out so I just bought the cheapest room in town. Everything was damp. The sheets, pillows, the carpet. Everything was just wet. It also had hundreds of little picnic beatles everywhere. After a couple of hours she came over to talk. She felt sorry for me. I bent her over and went back home to my nice Firestone apartment.

That’s not the worst though. Going to Chicago to stay with a friend when I was 18. Couldn’t get ahold of him. Found a cheap place. I didn’t know what extended stay really was then, I just couldn’t believe the garbage outside all the rooms. I’m there in the nastiest f’ing room ever sitting on the edge of my bed just trying to decide if I’d rather sleep in my car. Then I hear breaking glass. I go out and two brothers are throwing bottles at each other and one finally attacked the other with a bottle. Cops came, I’m sure it was an attempted murder charge. I quickly left and went to my friends parents’ house in Bartlett and stayed in a nice McMansion and was fed well by their food pushing Italian selves. They both worked out.

Not just for poors, could be a result of poor planning and desperation, or an unanticipated stop due to factors beyond your control, or the price of the hotel was already worked into the hourly rate you were paying...in any event. Let's see the biggest hell hole you've ever had to stay at overnight.

Mine was in Orchard Park, NY, literally a stone throw away from New Era Field. Kind of an odd duck in the NFL because that town is basically just a tiny suburb with almost nothing around the stadium. Anyway, this was as a result of spending an extra day in Niagara Falls (with a number of girls from the area, of course). I remember this place being even worse than pictures I could find, but it was dingy and dirty as hell. Guy at the front desk didn't really speak any English at all. Motel 6 on 33rd Ave in CR would be a close second.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...t_Inn_Orchard_Park-Orchard_Park_New_York.html
Overland Park, Kansas about 25 years ago. A minivan of relatives were going from eastern Iowa to Wichita, stopped for the night (couldn't depart until people got off work). Overland Park is a decent community and the motel was right off the interstate and part of a chain -- Ramada, I think, but it might have been Rodeway. I booked it by phone and didn't think a thing of it.

When we got there, to say it was run down would be an understatement. But the "lobby" had bars protecting the clerk's position. If you wanted a telephone, you had to give them a cash deposit and they would give you a phone to take to your room and plug in. (This was before cell phones)

Nobody slept well and we were out of there very early in the morning.

Reactions: BeepBeepInMyJeep
We tried to stay at a place in Myrtle Beach with 5 kids a few years ago. I pull up and check us in and our room is across the street so we pull over there and and probably a football field to our room. So I go about carry all the luggage in and upon entry with the last bag my wife says I can’t stay here and I’m like what the hell she lifts up the mattress and it looks like someone had been murder. The blood stain was almost a perfect shape of a body. I drive back to the office and tell the lady and she says so you aren’t going to stay and I’m like nope so got our cash back and left.

Overland Park, Kansas about 25 years ago. A minivan of relatives were going from eastern Iowa to Wichita, stopped for the night (couldn't depart until people got off work). Overland Park is a decent community and the motel was right off the interstate and part of a chain -- Ramada, I think, but it might have been Rodeway. I booked it by phone and didn't think a thing of it.

When we got there, to say it was run down would be an understatement. But the "lobby" had bars protecting the clerk's position. If you wanted a telephone, you had to give them a cash deposit and they would give you a phone to take to your room and plug in. (This was before cell phones)

Nobody slept well and we were out of there very early in the morning.

pretty sure I’ve stayed there coming home from Texas once.

Second worst - in Oakland CA. The name I forgot (it was a chain, that I remember). It was by the airport flight path. Next to train tracks with trains rumbling through every 10-15 minutes (horns blowing) and the freeway over the tracks and right next to our rooms. Spent one night and moved to another hotel for our other 5 days there.

Reactions: BeepBeepInMyJeep
Bates Motel where I saw a dead woman in the
shower stall with blood splattered everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: billanole
About 17 years ago, I stayed at a Days Inn in Kissimmee off 192. The place was an absolute dump but I was broke and needed a break from my roommates. The room smelled awful and I was pretty sure it was from under the bed. The sides beneath the bed had boards there so I slid the mattress off and voila.

I found booze bottles, leftover food, used condoms and thousands of dollars in cash. I about shit my pants. I kicked all the nasty stuff to a corner and used a ziplock bag to gather all the money and got the **** outta there as fast as I could. On my way to the car, I saw a pile of money on the ground by the room on the corner, so I grabbed that ($500) and never looked back.

Not sure what the hell was going on at the hotel but I drove to Disney’s Polynesian Resort and got a club level room and felt like a king. When I checked in, they asked if I had luggage...I ran so fast from the Days Inn I left it in the room. Oh well. I had over 6k in cash and all i left behind was about $50 worth of crap.

About 17 years ago, I stayed at a Days Inn in Kissimmee off 192. The place was an absolute dump but I was broke and needed a break from my roommates. The room smelled awful and I was pretty sure it was from under the bed. The sides beneath the bed had boards there so I slid the mattress off and voila.

I found booze bottles, leftover food, used condoms and thousands of dollars in cash. I about shit my pants. I kicked all the nasty stuff to a corner and used a ziplock bag to gather all the money and got the **** outta there as fast as I could. On my way to the car, I saw a pile of money on the ground by the room on the corner, so I grabbed that ($500) and never looked back.

Not sure what the hell was going on at the hotel but I drove to Disney’s Polynesian Resort and got a club level room and felt like a king. When I checked in, they asked if I had luggage...I ran so fast from the Days Inn I left it in the room. Oh well. I had over 6k in cash and all i left behind was about $50 worth of crap.
See The Florida Project

Reactions: PoopandBoogers

You could have quit at Kissimmee and 192.

Days Inn in Sanford Florida
Door would not close and lock properly, Half used soap and shampoo bottles on the vanity.
Tv did not work.
On the way to the front for breakfast the pool was green with mold in it and 1/2 full.
Continental breakfast was 2-3 day old bakery and the worst coffee I have ever tasted.
We ended up going to a restaurant next door.
I accidentally left my prescription sun glasses in the room and couldn't go back or miss my flight.
I called them 5 times asking to speak to the owner after the manager said they could not help me even though they confirmed they found my glasses.
Finally convince the owner(from another country) to ship them to me collect.
Took 3 weeks to get them.
Received an e-mail asking how my stay was. did not answer the first one. When it was sent a 2nd time noting I had not replied to the first one I let them know exactly how my stay was.
To this day if I walk into a place with owners from a foreign country I cancel and go somewhere else

A Red Roof Inn along I-85 in Charlotte, where American Airlines put a bunch of us up after we missed connections at CLT due to weather. The Waffle House sign blasted right into my window. The room was so nasty that I kept my clothes on to sleep. A year later, the Charlotte Observer ran a front-page story about a drug and prostitution ring being operated out of the very same hotel.

This one in Luang Prabang also left some to be desired.

nrv9ynG.jpg

I can’t imagine staying in a hostel in LP when you can get a decent private room anywhere in the country for $7 a night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT