ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Movie You Watched in its Entirety

I'm having trouble remembering any movie by a former SNL alum that was even reasonably good since say "48 Hours".

Check out McGruber. I was pleasantly surprised by that one.

The Cohen Bros movies seem to draw real love em or hate em reactions from people. No Country for Old Men was good, but I hated the ending...and I wondered what the point of the movie was really. Transcendence was bad. Depp has really laid some eggs lately.

In CR it costs so much to go to Wehrenberg, there are few movies I actually want to invest in to that extent. A $2 rental is not really a risk.

Transcendence was horrible, and I would have walked out but had gone with friends. Afterward, they told me that they wished I had, as they would have loved to join me.

Not the absolute worst I've ever seen, though. I get hammered every time I post this, but Children of Men is my all-time worst. Dumb dialogue ("pull my finger'), horrible effects (used same scenery while driving multiple times), and things happening that just could not or simply made no sense.

You're kidding right? Children of Men has some of the best single shot action sequences in film. The one where he runs down a street in a battle is amazing. My least favorites seem to be the bad family movies or comedies like Daddy Day Camp, Lone Ranger, the Love Guru, Blended.

Reactions: foolingnone
Battlefield Earth.......

I dare anyone to top that Travolta Scientology piece of crap.

Battlefield Earth.......

I don't think anyone has. I think it's widely regarded as one of the worst, if not the worst, movie of all time according to many movie review circles. Not to mention its production company went under because it was such a big flop.

The Anchorman.

I know, I know...how could I go there. I remember a buddy telling me I was missing out, so we sat down one night and watched it and all I remember was how non-funny it was. It was "did not laugh once" unfunny.

I'm having trouble remembering any movie by a former SNL alum that was even reasonably good since say "48 Hours".
Off the top of my head, "Ghostbusters" and "Groundhog Day" were far beyond "reasonably good" and were both after "48 Hours."

As bad as Grown Ups is, it is Citizen Kane compared to Grown Ups 2. And Grown Ups 2 is On The Waterfront compared to Blended. Wow.

2926_2349.jpg

Off the top of my head, "Ghostbusters" and "Groundhog Day" were far beyond "reasonably good" and were both after "48 Hours."

I think "The Coneheads" was fairly funny. Tommy Boy was decent. Vacation movies would count too. At least 1 or 2 of those were good.

I will throw out the movie Identity from 2003. Money I will never get back. I like John Cusack, Amanda Peet and Ray Liotta as actors but the movie was god awful. All previews. Hate it when that happens.

Good Burger followed closely by Point Break. Lori Petty running around in a bikini made Point Break at least tolerable.

Good call on the Wolf of Wall Street. I never understood why it was so well regarded. I guess when Scorcese puts his name on something it automatically has some fans. To me it was just drug use for the sake of drug use. It was terrible.
I sometimes think that I would rather listen to Scorcese talk about film (he is so passionate and knowledgeable) than watch some of his movies. I too think some of his work is overrated.

Battlefield Earth.......

Winner....absolutely horrible. So bad that I forgot I watched it (kind of like a PTSD episode)

Would like to add LUCY to the list...started out pretty good and got progressively worse until it hit ridiculous

I think this thread has morphed into....

shows and movies with too many white people
Movies that were good, but I didn't like
I'm going to throw out the name of a half way entertaining movie to show how hipster I am
Get off my lawn

and seriously, the former SNL to movie comment, come on man....some of the best comedy movies of the last 40 years has come from their work.

The Anchorman.

I know, I know...how could I go there. I remember a buddy telling me I was missing out, so we sat down one night and watched it and all I remember was how non-funny it was. It was "did not laugh once" unfunny.

Stripes. (I think that came after 48 Hours.)

Grownups 2. Words cannot describe.

The Haunting of the Whaley House would be number one had I finished it.

I've seen every episode of Archer and I hate that show.
Funniest show on television.

There are some real surprising responses here. If I didn't know HROT better, I would think some of you were trollin'.

I'll give you both of those.

Like I say though. It's tough to pick them out when you consider there's been hundreds.

I'll give you both of those.

Like I say though. It's tough to pick them out when you consider there's been hundreds.

So, out of all these actors, you will give us Ghostbusters and Groundhog day as two reasonably good movies? Way to stick to your guns.

Dan Aykroyd
Morwenna Banks
Vanessa Bayer
Jim Belushi
John Belushi
Beck Bennett
Jim Breuer
Paul Brittain
A. Whitney Brown
Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Ellen Cleghorne
Billy Crystal
Jane Curtin
Joan Cusack
Robert Downey Jr.
Brian Doyle-Murray
Rachel Dratch
Robin Duke
Nora Dunn
Christine Ebersole
Chris Elliott
Jimmy Fallon
Chris Farley
Will Ferrell
Tina Fey
Will Forte
Al Franken
Janeane Garofalo
Ana Gasteyer
Gilbert Gottfried
Mary Gross
Christopher Guest
Bill Hader
Anthony Michael Hall
Brad Hall
Rich Hall
Darrell Hammond
Phil Hartman
Jan Hooks
Yvonne Hudson
Melanie Hutsell
Leslie Jones
Chris Kattan
Tim Kazurinsky
Gary Kroeger
Matthew Laurance
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Jon Lovitz
Norm Macdonald
Michael McKean
Tim Meadows
Laurie Metcalf
Seth Meyers
Dennis Miller
Jerry Minor
Finesse Mitchell
Jay Mohr
Tracy Morgan
Garrett Morris
Eddie Murphy
Bill Murray
Cheri Oteri
Chris Parnell
Nasim Pedrad
Joe Piscopo
Amy Poehler
Emily Prager
Randy Quaid
Colin Quinn
Gilda Radner
Jeff Richards
Rob Riggle
Chris Rock
Maya Rudolph
Andy Samberg
Adam Sandler
Horatio Sanz
Tom Schiller
Rob Schneider
Paul Shaffer
Molly Shannon
Harry Shearer
Martin Short
Sarah Silverman
Robert Smigel
David Spade
Ben Stiller
Jason Sudeikis
Julia Sweeney
Kenan Thompson
Damon Wayans
Kristen Wiig

Good call on the Wolf of Wall Street. I never understood why it was so well regarded. I guess when Scorcese puts his name on something it automatically has some fans. To me it was just drug use for the sake of drug use. It was terrible.

I thought that film was OK ... but it could have been so much more. I guess I was thinking of "Foodfellas" and "Catch Me if You Can" when I saw it.

I have met/known slightly a couple of the Stratton Oakmont guys over the years and Scorcese definitely captured the mindless and cocky swagger that came along with working for that outfit. However, there was so much more to the story than hookers and cocaine. Besides that, Hookers and Coke were commonplace on Wall Street during that era, so it was hard to be impressed by Scorcese's/Belfort's over-the-top reliance on these two staples of the era.

Plus, so many of the scenes relied on fraternity-boy exaggerated tales of events ... such as the security people watching him during sex scenes, the drunken drive home in his Lamborghini and so on. This stuff had more in common with Animal House than with the story at hand.

Good Burger followed closely by Point Break. Lori Petty running around in a bikini made Point Break at least tolerable.

I was in HS when I saw Point Break. When it was over I stood up and booed. Only time I have ever done that's.

Now that I see the list (I never heard of half those people, and didn't know a bunch of those listed were ever SNL regulars) - OK yeah, I guess I can see my list growing some, depending on who we're talking about.

For instance, I never knew Robert Downey was a member of SNL and from the looks of it he had a single season cup of coffee when the show stunk badly. He is a very good actor imho.

I'm talking what I would term semi-long term regulars who were stars of movies. Like Eddie Murphy (90% of his movie career is utterly putrid). Like Will Ferrell. Like Tina Fey. Like Adam Sandler.

I literally cannot watch any Will Ferrell movie for any amount longer than say oh...15 seconds. I have tried. I really have. The Anchorman was unbearable.

There is a distinction between SNL movies and people who were on SNL and made movies. Coneheads would be an SNL movie as it was a skit there first. I would not call Stripes an SNL movie, but Bill Murray was in it.

There are not many good ones that came from the skits. A Night at the Roxbury was unwatchable. As I said before, MacGruber was a surprise good one for me. SNL alums have made some good movies, but some really bad ones too. As for Ferrell, my favorite is Old School, but he is not really the center of that movie.

Look, I get things are subjective, I'm just shocked you would classify Anchorman as 'the worst movie you watched in it's entirety". That movie has given us some classic one liners. I get that juvenile based comedies probably lose some of their appeal as we mature, but worst movie?

Ishtar was a bad movie, Benny and June, Glitter, Spiderman 3, Superman 4, Gigli, Norbit..maybe nobody made it through any of those.

I did just think of a couple I saw in theaters all the way through, on dates both times.

Howard The Duck
Moment By Moment (Lily Tomlin and John Travolta)

Worn glasses ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT