ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Movie You Watched in its Entirety

Waterworld would be another one for me. I was a big Costner fan and that was at the peak of his career when about every movie he was making was damn good. So I was excited and man was it bad.

I did just think of a couple I saw in theaters all the way through, on dates both times.

Howard The Duck
Moment By Moment (Lily Tomlin and John Travolta)

Worn glasses ever since.

I saw Howard the Duck in the theater also. Had a date with a hot girl I had been stocking. 1986 was a horrible year for movies. Outside of Top Gun, and Ferris Beuller, there weren't a lot of options. Most high school girls wouldn't go see Platoon. Shoot, The Golden Child was a top 10 movie that year, I think Back to School was also. and the Color of Money was #12. Now, I liked Top Gun 2-Maverick play's billards, but #12, shows how bad movies were then.

Waterworld would be another one for me. I was a big Costner fan and that was at the peak of his career when about every movie he was making was damn good. So I was excited and man was it bad.

paper......

Tig

waterworld09.jpg

waterworld08.jpg

waterworld02.jpg

How ironic. Same girl as Howard The Duck as with Top Gun.

When Goose died, she cried.

Look, I get things are subjective, I'm just shocked you would classify Anchorman as 'the worst movie you watched in it's entirety". That movie has given us some classic one liners. I get that juvenile based comedies probably lose some of their appeal as we mature, but worst movie?

Ishtar was a bad movie, Benny and June, Glitter, Spiderman 3, Superman 4, Gigli, Norbit..maybe nobody made it through any of those.

Well, that's the thing. Yes, Anchorman had some good one liners but that's it. When you make a 90 to 110 minute movie just to set up a few good one liners, the movie is going to suck. Sad fact is, a lot of comedies are exactly this. You better really enjoy those one liners because that's all there is.

You're kidding right? Children of Men has some of the best single shot action sequences in film. The one where he runs down a street in a battle is amazing. My least favorites seem to be the bad family movies or comedies like Daddy Day Camp, Lone Ranger, the Love Guru, Blended.

I just found it to be stupid in several areas.

Michael Caine sacrificing his life and that of his wife to gain them time to get away, so they stop on the secret road and listen as it happens (after Caine brilliantly tells the bad guys to "pull my finger"). Think about that - sacrificing his life and they take no advantage. Plus, given that they can hear what's going on below, why don't the baddies hear them restart their vehicles and drive away?

As they drive on that road, it's the identical moving background that occurred at least one other time in the movie. Looked like a 1940s movie where they're in the studio in a car and a projector is focused on the wall behind them showing moving background. Horrible.

When they go out on the water in the boat, the fog is so thick you can cut it with a knife, but they serendipitously arrive at a maker buoy quite some distance from shore using no navigation, just wandering around out there.

When they bring the kid down the stairs, the whole fighting crowd immediately becomes quiet, even those who had absolutely no chance of seeing the kid (about 95% of the crowd).

I could go on - that's just the tip of the iceberg. In my opinion, it was a miserable movie. Plus, the lead (Clive something) is about as wooden as any "actor" I've ever seen.

Bad, just bad, imo.

Look, I get things are subjective, I'm just shocked you would classify Anchorman as 'the worst movie you watched in it's entirety". That movie has given us some classic one liners. I get that juvenile based comedies probably lose some of their appeal as we mature, but worst movie?

Ishtar was a bad movie, Benny and June, Glitter, Spiderman 3, Superman 4, Gigli, Norbit..maybe nobody made it through any of those.
I walked out of Ishtar... And The Ring. Only two movies I abandoned before they were over.

Jeepers Creepers 2 in high school. We were bored and my buddy got free movies. Absolutely horrid.

Bending All the Rules, starring the lovely Bradley Cooper.[/QUOT

I would have to say the very worst movie I have ever seen was on dvd and that was "Hobo with a shotgun".
The worst movie watched in a theater had to be " Dr T and the women".
I think post gerbil Richard Gere.

How ironic. Same girl as Howard The Duck as with Top Gun.

When Goose died, she cried.

Huh? Not following.

Leah Thompson was in Howard the Duck, and Back to the Future, but not Top Gun. Meg Ryan was not in Howard the Duck. Holly Robinson Pete was though.

The World According to Garp

Followed closely by

Good will Hunting

That's about 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

Why does that not surprise me?

Garp, the book was better, but then in my mind, it's very few movies that surpass the books.

Good Will Hunting? Well, there's no accounting for taste. Why do I think you're not a big fan of Affleck or Damon? Just a hunch.

I think it contains maybe Robin Williams finest performance and a well-deserved Oscar.

Why does that not surprise me?

Garp, the book was better, but then in my mind, it's very few movies that surpass the books.

Good Will Hunting? Well, there's no accounting for taste. Why do I think you're not a big fan of Affleck or Damon? Just a hunch.

I think it contains maybe Robin Williams finest performance and a well-deserved Oscar.

Out of Africa was very bad and very boring. At the beginning of the movie it looked like a lion might eat Meryl Streep. It didn't and the rest of the movie was a waste of time.

Links,

Just that I went to both 1986 movies you listed - on dates with the same girl. She picked both.

I'm not really a Top Gun nut - it's merely "decent" and I went to both as "she picked them" movies. The combat scenes...one thing I couldn't get past is they used F-5's as the vaunted MiG 29's I believe they were referred to as...which was borderline laughable.

I understand back then that stuff is hard to replicate accurately...such as using Douglas Dauntlesses as Japanese planes in numerous movies about WWII. I'm a bit of a war movie snob in that respect. The 60's era Battle of the Bulge movie battle scenes shot in Spain with blotches of paint on the terrain in the tank battles (or nothing resembling snow at all)...that type of thing. The movie "Midway"...utterly ridiculous genuine war film of battles with planes that never took part in the ballet at all.

Anyway, Top Gun. I thought the whole Goose died part of it was meh and terribly predictable. As time went on, I don't believe it aged well. For instance...a couple buddies of mine, whenever we need something to happen that is somewhat..."wishful thinking" (like when we played video games long ago)...we look at each other and say "talk to me, Goose" lampooning certain aspects of the dialogue.

I mean I can see why people wouldn't like it. But worst you've ever sat through? You must not have seen many movies.

You are correct, there are worse I've sat through. I must've picked this one because I saw it in IC.
I offer Joyluck Club as a replacement. There's only one reason any man has seen this movie and it's something to do with trying to get lucky.

The World According to Garp

Followed closely by

Good will Hunting

That's about 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

and....we now have a new leader in the clubhouse for 'didn't really understand the question'

Good Will Hunting? Really?
I'm shocked you didn't add in Rounders, Shawshank Redemption, or Goodfellas.

It's not your fault Arbitr8. No really, It's not your fault.

Links,

Just that I went to both 1986 movies you listed - on dates with the same girl. She picked both.

I'm not really a Top Gun nut - it's merely "decent" and I went to both as "she picked them" movies. The combat scenes...one thing I couldn't get past is they used F-5's as the vaunted MiG 29's I believe they were referred to as...which was borderline laughable.

I understand back then that stuff is hard to replicate accurately...such as using Douglas Dauntlesses as Japanese planes in numerous movies about WWII. I'm a bit of a war movie snob in that respect. The 60's era Battle of the Bulge movie battle scenes shot in Spain with blotches of paint on the terrain in the tank battles (or nothing resembling snow at all)...that type of thing. The movie "Midway"...utterly ridiculous genuine war film of battles with planes that never took part in the ballet at all.

Anyway, Top Gun. I thought the whole Goose died part of it was meh and terribly predictable. As time went on, I don't believe it aged well. For instance...a couple buddies of mine, whenever we need something to happen that is somewhat..."wishful thinking" (like when we played video games long ago)...we look at each other and say "talk to me, Goose" lampooning certain aspects of the dialogue.

You're a lot like me bag. I understood at the time, probably hard to find a MiG-29 or whatever was out there, so I could give it pass in Top Gun. But it's so hokey (especially the love stories) it annoys me whenever it's on now.

But I think I've posted before about The Battle of the Bulge with Henry Fonda and Robert Shaw before. At least find some trees since most of it took place in the Ardennes and find some effing snow. It looked like North Africa circa 1942. Actually in Midway, they spliced in scenes from Tora, Tora, Tora, figuring the audience wouldn't know the difference. That movie has one of the single worst performances ever with Edward Albert as Chuck Heston's son with the ridiculous love story, which simply vanishes once they put to sea. Cigar store Indians emote more than that. I'll at least give credit to Glenn Ford as Spruance, Henry Fonda as Nimitz and Robert Mitchem as Halsey.

While we're on this topic, a movie I always liked and was infinitely better than Midway was In Harm's Way with John Wayne and Kirk Douglas (Fonda gets to play Nimitz again although in the credits he's referred to as CINCPAC). But they ran out of money by the end of the Otto Preminger shoot and used models for the Japanese ships. It's so obvious to watch these dark shapes move though the water without a single living human being in sight on deck. Another horrible performance by the son of the main character. Brandon De Wilde was another slight pretty boy from the 60s who couldn't act his way out of paper bag. He plays Wayne's snotty son. Fortunately, he gets killed on a PT boat so there was some redemption. The rest of the cast is outstanding though, especially Burgess Meredith. And I liked Douglas a lot in this film. I'm also a fan of black and white as well.

Possibly Bolero with Bo Derek. People were actually bitching for a refund on the way out. It was that bad.

I'm a BIG "In Harm's Way" fan. Otto Preminger! Paula Prentiss and Jill Haworth (carefully shot in the rape scene with Kirk Douglas...wet t-shirt time basically)...yeah buddy. Always had a thing for Paula Prentiss.

The models for the sea battle were a tad bit hokey but at least the movie didn't center on it. I view it more as a drama than anything else - almost soap opera-ish in some ways. But I think there are several great performances in it...Burgess Meredith for one, Patricia Neal for another. Douglas is great too.

The shower scene with Douglas, Brandon deWilde, and Broderick's aide..."I am doing it" - SLAP!

And I too think the black and white was shot beautifully in it too. It didn't receive good reviews, but for some reason I like it. I've always been a sucker for certain big budget lowly-reviewed movies from that era...examples like (certainly not limited to)...

Cleopatra (several fantastic performances)
The Greatest Story Ever Told (a parade of bit parts...try to spot John Wayne in it!)
Airport (George Kennedy is awesome in it)
Paint Your Wagon
The Ten Commandments (all time favorite of mine)
Ben Hur
Cast a Giant Shadow (a relatively unknown movie I just got into recently)
Sink The Bismarck!
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno

I grew up watching movies like these...the ABC Sunday Night Movie on the ol' Zenith 27" color console in the living room. It was literally the only channel that was showing movies once a week.

I'm a movie collector...just passed the 1,000 mark in movies in my collection, all on my networked hard drives. Got 3 hours to kill, pull out an old favorite. Certainly better than 99% of movies made today.

I'm a BIG "In Harm's Way" fan. Otto Preminger! Paula Prentiss and Jill Haworth (carefully shot in the rape scene with Kirk Douglas...wet t-shirt time basically)...yeah buddy. Always had a thing for Paula Prentiss.

I've always been a sucker for certain big budget lowly-reviewed movies from that era...examples like (certainly not limited to)...

Sink The Bismarck!

I'm a movie collector...just passed the 1,000 mark in movies in my collection, all on my networked hard drives. Got 3 hours to kill, pull out an old favorite. Certainly better than 99% of movies made today.
.........................................................................................................................................
I loved all of those, but your mention of "Sink the Bismark" prompted memory of a recent conversation with a waiter here in town. He was telling us that his father had been an officer on board the Ark Royal during the battle which resulted in the sinking. (The plane that destroyed the propeller gear on the Bismark had been launched from the Ark Royal. This was the initial hit that doomed the battleship.)

His father had later been given command of his own ship and had then been court martialed for stopping at sea to save some survivors of sinking British ship later in the war. He told us his family had spent the last 30-40 years fighting his conviction and only after his father had died (well into his 90's) had he been exonerated and awarded a medal of some kind.

I know this does not relate to the thread, but somehow, whenever I meet survivors (now the children of the survivors) of great moments in history, I somehow form an even stronger bond with the event itself, and in this case with the film as well.

That was a great film ... and a great song, sung by Johnny Horton.

Bending All the Rules, starring the lovely Bradley Cooper.

I would prolly go with Warterworld. However i just watched A Million Ways to Die in the West and that may be worst movie ever.

I am most surprised to see Napolean Dynamite on this list.

I would prolly go with Warterworld. However i just watched A Million Ways to Die in the West and that may be worst movie ever.

I am most surprised to see Napolean Dynamite on this list.

You know, the first time I saw Napoleon Dynamite, I didn't know what to think, but upon viewing it a few more times or parts of it, I've come to appreciate it much more. Kip and Uncle Rico are a riot and of course, who doesn't bow to your sensei with Rex Kwando. It's really just a little underrated/quirky fable of staying true to who you are.

You know, the first time I saw Napoleon Dynamite, I didn't know what to think, but upon viewing it a few more times or parts of it, I've come to appreciate it much more. Kip and Uncle Rico are a riot and of course, who doesn't bow to your sensei with Rex Kwando. It's really just a little underrated/quirky fable of staying true to who you are.

ArorXKG.gif

Napoleon Dynamite has it's moments. I struggled mightily through all of the Harry Potter movies. Some of those are pretty bad. Sorry. Maybe A Walk to Remember? Had to watch that with my girlfriend in high school. That was brutal.

Off the top of my head, "Ghostbusters" and "Groundhog Day" were far beyond "reasonably good" and were both after "48 Hours."

Didn't 48 hours come out in early 80s? Just Eddie alone would be ignoring Beverly Hills Cop, Welcome to America, and, of course, Norbit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT