ADVERTISEMENT

Would ja

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
eat an elk steak if offered?

Here is Lacey Lupien, 33, of Lancaster, Minn., with the giant elk she shot 3 miles from her home in Kittson County.

ows_04b05ece-18a1-4c58-a5ac-856bac689fb1.jpg

Bull elk is second-largest on record taken in Minnesota
By Tony Kennedy
Minneapolis Star Tribune
DECEMBER 4, 2020 — 7:02AM

The bull elk that Lacey Lupien shot on her first elk hunt was so big, she and her husband, Lance, are remodeling their home in Lancaster, Minn., to make room for the mount.

The 7-by-8 rack with a gross score of 380 and a net score of a little more than 367 is now the second-largest Minnesota elk scored for the Boone and Crockett conservation club, which came up with widely recognized standards for scoring big game.

Lupien had her eye on the bull for weeks as she, her husband and their two children tracked the movements of a herd near their home in Kittson County.

At 2:14 p.m. Aug. 6, the second day of the season, she was in a neighbor’s old box stand when the animal stepped out of the woods and into a bean field, 250 yards away. She shot once with a .300 Winchester Magnum rifle, not sure she hit it. But a slight blood trail led to the downed elk, 120 yards from where it was shot.

“We heard it crash into the woods,’’ said Lupien, a nurse who won the elk tag in this year’s license lottery. “It was so exciting.’’

• Sad
Reactions: h-hawk
It’s a garbage round and she was only 250 yards away.
Alright I will bite, why in your opinion is a 300 win mag a garbage round? You realize you can send a 110gr bullet 3700fps or a 225gr 2800fps? Its also the preferred round of 1000 yard shooters.

Alright I will bite, why in your opinion is a 300 win mag a garbage round? You realize you can send a 110gr bullet 3700fps or a 225gr 2800fps? Its also the preferred round of 1000 yard shooters.

1000 yard shooters of what? It was an early solution to the long range problem. They’re just very meh. Sure there’s power there, but the ballistics coefficient is worse than just about everything in the category. And they’re expensive.

The pros are it’s available and there’s match grade ammo, but I’d much rather shoot 7mm Rem.

Last edited:
Years ago, a friend and I went Elk hunting in Wyoming. His brother, who lived there, was our guide. I didn't get one but both my friend and his brother did and they were kind enough to share with me.
Former Iowa State wrestler, Chuck Jean, on a bet from another Iowa State wrestler, last name of Gillespie(I forget his first) jumped into a pen at one of Iowa's state parks to wrestle an elk that was in pen there. He wound up killing it and was the final nail in the coffin as Iowa State parted ways with the 2 time national champ. Gable was a teammate and I'm sure he knows more of the story than I.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: h-hawk
1000 yard shooters of what? It was an early solution to the long range problem. They’re just very meh. Sure there’s power there, but the ballistic coefficient is worse than just about everything in the category. And they’re expensive.

The pros are it’s available and there’s match grade ammo, but I’d much rather shoot 7mm Rem.
You answered your first question with the match grade bullet sentence. Just because you prefer a 7mm that can send a 120gr 3400 fps or a 175grain 2900 doesn't mean you are right and or the 300 win mag is garbage. Also, you might want to check your numbers again. Remington introduced the 7mm in 1962 Winchester created the 300 in 1963. Ballistically the .300 is far superior than the 7mm. (I'm not hating on the 7mm but cmon man.)

(The one thing the 7mm has going for it* that the .300 doesn't is recoil. Which is why I said this chick is a baddass.)

Reactions: Finance85
It’s a garbage round and she was only 250 yards away.

Round is a matter of preference, along with the actual rifle.

She made a shot that over 90% of the guys on this board couldn't make, and was successful.

"Only 250 yards"? Just a guess but that's probably about 7" of drop at 250 yards, right? No matter, I think it's a pretty good shot for most people.

FWIW, I've never shot a 7MM, only a .30-06 and 30-30. The .30-06 has a pretty big kick. It's a WW II era rifle, and it really makes me respect the soldier who shot it.

20181219_112922.jpg

Reactions: jonmartn

She made a shot that over 90% of the guys on this board couldn't make, and was successful.

"Only 250 yards"? Just a guess but that's probably about 7" of drop at 250 yards, right? No matter, I think it's a pretty good shot for most people.

FWIW, I've never shot a 7MM, only a .30-06 and 30-30. The .30-06 has a pretty big kick. It's a WW II era rifle, and it really makes me respect the soldier who shot it.

20181219_112922.jpg

I’m guessing there’s less than an inch of drop. I don’t think there’s much difference between the rounds at that range.

20181219_112922.jpg
I dont own a 7mm or 300 win mag (too rich for my blood) but I do have Tikka T3lite in .06 I used for deer in Nebraska. Great for carrying but it punches your shoulder harder than a 12 Guage slug. I just enjoy the banter, and have my reloading manual on my work desk, you are 100% correct in that it isn't the round or the gun but the time spent by the shooter with both. Hell you can push a .308 out to 1k if you are good with it. Speaking of WW2 badasses, could you imagine being the B.A.R guy in your group. Holy shit you would have had balls that clank.

I’m guessing there’s less than an inch of drop. I don’t think there’s much difference between rounds at that range.
Using the chart, with a rifled zeros at 100y, she would have had 5 inches of drop at 250 yards using 180gr bullet. That being said I would be willing to bet she was zero'd at 200 and probably did have less than an inch through the scope.

Reactions: Finance85
Years ago, a friend and I went Elk hunting in Wyoming. His brother, who lived there, was our guide. I didn't get one but both my friend and his brother did and they were kind enough to share with me.
Former Iowa State wrestler, Chuck Jean, on a bet from another Iowa State wrestler, last name of Gillespie(I forget his first) jumped into a pen at one of Iowa's state parks to wrestle an elk that was in pen there. He wound up killing it and was the final nail in the coffin as Iowa State parted ways with the 2 time national champ. Gable was a teammate and I'm sure he knows more of the story than I.

I believe it was a 10 point deer buck, not an elk, that Jean killed at Boone State Park.

Anyone who thinks shooting an animal and killing it with a gun is "sport" is a moron. I can kind of get behind bow hunting, but using a gun is stupid.

I know an Army Major who looks just like her...except the Major is at Ft Benning and originally from AL.

Reactions: mnole03
Anyone who thinks shooting an animal and killing it with a gun is "sport" is a moron. I can kind of get behind bow hunting, but using a gun is stupid.

I don't hunt large animals. That said, herd management needs to happen. Also, it should never be just for sport. The animal should be harvested.

Sometimes hunting is easy, but most of the time it isn't. If you think that, you should go to a range and try shooting at a target. Animals don't always just stand there in the open so you can shoot them.

If the only hunting was using a bow, herd management would be impossible. A lot of animals would become diseased or starve.

Reactions: HawkNester
Tomorrow morning I'm going to wake up at 3:30 am to join one of my oldest friends and his father for a goose hunt. We will set out hundreds of decoys in a pattern based off wind direction, flock sizes, landscape, and attempt to mimick live animals in an attempt to get them within gun range. If we dont speak the correct food or mate language back to them the won't even come close. (And the only way to get good at knowing what they are saying that day is to spend hours perfecting the craft) We will have completely camouflaged our blinds using only materials we pull from the field around us and IF we do everything perfectly we will have a "shot" at success. (Contrary to popular belief you don't just pull the trigger and the animal falls out of the sky. You ever lead a goose thats 35yards in the air and hauling ass? The timing and hand eye coordination it takes is hard as shit) if that doesn't sound like a sport to you come join me at 330, I'll change your mind.

If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea go get a box call or slate call, or if you really want a challenge a mouth call, and go sit under a tree and try to get a turkey within 25 yards of you. They don't just walk up to you because they are wondering what the dipshit making all the noise in the forest is doing, you have to trick them into thinking you are really one of them. There is wayyyyy more to the sport than the act of pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkNester
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT