ADVERTISEMENT

WOW! I Just Heard Saylorville Lake….

The Dirty D is out of drought.

Wet as OP’s mom on GIAOT Tuesdays up in here.
You fascinate me sometimes. I like a lot of what you say, don’t get me wrong. Yet, you’re not exactly elusive about who you are. And you post things like this as a former or current journalist. Why? You’re killing yourself.

You fascinate me sometimes. I like a lot of what you say, don’t get me wrong. Yet, you’re not exactly elusive about who you are. And you post things like this as a former or current journalist. Why? You’re killing yourself.
Just workshopping some bad comedy. I guess I don’t see the issue? I’d be curious to hear your take, sincerely.

Yes, Iowa's drought is indeed improving - recent rains are certainly helping. NW Iowa is out of their very long drought, SE Iowa is out too. But a cross section from NE Iowa to SW Iowa is still in drought, with roughly around Bremer and Benton Counties the worst off still.

Here's one passage that I think sums things up about recent years...

"An added challenge in recent years has been the tendency to transition from drought to flood and back to drought within short time spans, sometimes within a matter of months, as well as flash drought, which is a drought that intensifies rapidly."

That is sort of what might be happening here...we're climbing out of our drought quickly (still a way to go yet per the maps). We were in a LOT worse condition just a couple months ago.

I mean, that's good...but it'd be nice if we don't have another wild swing back into long term drought conditions all over again. I know, we got some rivers climbing here (it is early May after all)...but we still need regular rain and preferably not monster deluges over the same spots over and over.

Here's a link to Iowa's current drought info, and it also has historical info too.

drought.gov Iowa

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT