ADVERTISEMENT

WR Vines said on hawkcentral that WR Kaden Wetjen is one of fastest hawks

Thanks. You'll notice that people usually slip away after a round or two of mind games with old Uncle Teddy. I had a teacher pay me money and give me an A in exchange for my never returning to class. Had an English teacher, timid little 20 something that pronounced "often" as "off" "tan". Every time I would say, loud for her to hear, its "aw as in awful and the t's silent". Then I'd ask for a bathroom pass. The first few times I returned and noticed there was initially a trace of disappointment that became an unmistakable grimace at my return. Then, about three weeks in, I just stopped coming back. No one ever said anything, and I got an A. That's when I knew the teachers preferred my absence to my presence.

I put all that together when I was 14.

76d977a7-cd14-4138-9292-18d996594d2a_text.gif

Your full of it, I'll give you that.

Last edited:
Vines said he also had a great 70 yard td in practice. So I hope we at least use him to stretch the field and draw safeties deep.

Good to know we have some speed there.
We rarely ever throw it deep. We seem to never take a chance to allow the wr to make a play, get a PI or simply incomplete it. Those long throws down field in a one on one is a very difficult ball to intercept. The odds are very low with a one on one and no safety covering over top. We rarely ever seem to do it, however.

We rarely ever throw it deep. We seem to never take a chance to allow the wr to make a play, get a PI or simply incomplete it. Those long throws down field in a one on one is a very difficult ball to intercept. The odds are very low with a one on one and no safety covering over top. We rarely ever seem to do it, however.
Spencer had a big arm, maybe his best quality. And we had him throw five yard outs his entire career. 🤦‍♂️

Spencer had a big arm, maybe his best quality. And we had him throw five yard outs his entire career. 🤦‍♂️
People like to use the excuse that our OL didn’t block for him. 🙄. If that was the case, line him up 7 yards back and have him backpedal to throw the damn ball down field. Our history shows we rarely throw deep. It will be the same with McNamara. That is why we lack the attraction of wr’s. I get so sick and tired of seeing other teams throw the ball down field getting PI’s or big plays.

There you go, name calling again again. Don't you know my family and friends read these boards? Isn't that what you sycophantic circle jerkers always say?? I guess that's what you do when you don't have anything substantive to say explaining why our receiver core is made up of mostly walk ons.
stay classy will ferrell GIF
Agreed for someone who was not going to call people names Deplorable has failed miserably. Sad, just because some folks disagree with his take on Iowa sports.

Agreed for someone who was not going to call people names Deplorable has failed miserably. Sad, just because some folks disagree with his take on Iowa sports.

Nice try…. that isn’t at all what happens on these message board.

It’s more like “we get to piss & moan incessantly, day after day about our favorite team” and you guys don’t get to say anything….

And THAT isn’t only sad, it’s not going to happen!

Just sayin’….

Reactions: NevadaHawk
People like to use the excuse that our OL didn’t block for him. 🙄. If that was the case, line him up 7 yards back and have him backpedal to throw the damn ball down field. Our history shows we rarely throw deep. It will be the same with McNamara. That is why we lack the attraction of wr’s. I get so sick and tired of seeing other teams throw the ball down field getting PI’s or big plays.
The problem with lining your qb up that deep with leaky OTackles is that it is a rather straight sprint to the qb by speedy rush DEnds. But I am with you and I have said for years that an experienced QB should see within 2 seconds if his WR has the corner beat going deep. In 2 seconds without any defensive bump off the LOS a pretty fast WR will be 15 yards downfield and if the WR is even with the Dback then fling it to a spot or throw back shoulder

LOL….oh sure, a poor OL is easy to work around. I wonder why no one else doesn’t just line up 7 yards back and backpedal?! No wonder you’re such a high paid coach….oh wait 🤔

We should have been doing that with ISM and Brandon Smith. No excuses for that. I wish we would have done it more last year, but the only guy on the roster last year would have been KJ that could high point a forty yard pass against big ten level defensive backs. Bad situation all around.

I didn't call him a name. I said the statement was stupid. Then I explained why. Now, if some fool wants to escalate by becoming much nastier, well, you know what happens....

To be honest, had I not been so tired after working on this massive project I am completing, I would probably have given more of a love tap on and less the backside of my hand. Although it was a stupid comparison, I could have been less harsh.

Criticizing me for the rare first punch I throw is pretty rich given the usual dialogue around here.

Last edited:
We'll never know it worked for Iowa last year. At no point was the run game ever committed to. Other than closing out a win late in the 4th, it could be counted on one hand how many times all season Iowa actually handed off three times in a row.

The line should be a little better this season. But even if it's poor, the way to help out an offensive line is to hand it off a few times in a row. Let them continue to fire out and hit somebody, rather than having to catch a charging defense every other play.

Even for good offensive lines it can be hard to get a push early in a game. But as the wall continues to get pounded at, it starts to crack. There is a cumulative benefit that emerges later in games when the run is committed to.

The run must be established. I don't care if it takes 3 tackles, 3 tight ends, wildcat, or QB sneaks every play. Whatever it takes.

If a line isn't good enough to run the ball, how the hell is it supposed to hold up in the passing game? If the goal is to be productive on offense, establishing the run is the priority. If the offense is so bad that the goal becomes limiting turnovers and running clock, so as not to jeopardize the defense's chance to control the game, then the run game is also a must. Iowa pretty much proved last season that games can be won with almost zero offense. To me, that wasn't that surprising. But that fact that they did it without a run game was unbelievable. An offense virtually unable to impact field position, combined with the clock stopping every other play for an incomplete pass made the performance of the defense and punter that much more amazing.

Similar defense and punter will remain this season. Let's hope the offense and offensive line can be a little better. Either way the run must be committed to.

Simple, stubborn, and angry has worked for 150 years. That's why I put a period after each word of "run the ball". No ifs or buts. No this or that. Just RUN. THE. DAMN. BALL. PERIOD.
I'd love to see Iowa run it 3x in a row. Unfortunately more often than not last year that would have had us facing 3rd and long.

I didn't call him a name. I said the statement was stupid. Then I explained why. Now, if some fool wants to escalate by becoming much nastier, well, you know what happens....

To be honest, had I not been so tired after working on this massive project I am completing, I would probably have given more of a love tap on and less the backside of my hand. Although it was a stupid comparison, I could have been less harsh.

Criticizing me for the rare first punch I throw is pretty rich given the usual dialogue around here.
We live in times of hyper sensitivity. Someone can call me stupid and I would laugh at them! Sometimes I deserve to be called stupid and I laugh at myself.

We live in times of hyper sensitivity. Someone can call me stupid and I would laugh at them! Sometimes I deserve to be called stupid and I laugh at myself.

Yeah, weird deal…I’ve really never been offended by name calling pretty much at all…. dumb, ignorant, asshole, jack ass they really don’t bother me much.

Now with that said, I am pretty sensitive to how people respond to me, my wife in particular!

After 31 years and five of six kids being 19 to 29 with a 10 year old left, sometime we have difficulty communicating. And she is 50if you get my drift & she’s a little all over the map (she’d deny profusely ) and we struggle and I’ve noticed I can be a little bit of a whiny bitch.

It’s a tough time in life…. But as…..@coorsoriginal02 says….I’ve got a big Sky Wizard to fall back on!!

Reactions: Bishop1971
The formula of walk-on white boy WRs from Iowa in the 2 deeps in not working.
I’d take a combo of Hinkle, Charlie Jones, Kasper and Dwight. Even Matt Vandeburg and Andy Brodell.

No need to throw skin color in there.

I do think we’re missing some size at WR tho. Losing Brecht for a sideline back shoulder throw hurts. Having a WR corp that has both size and speed has been lacking.

I’d take a combo of Hinkle, Charlie Jones, Kasper and Dwight. Even Matt Vandeburg and Andy Brodell.

No need to throw skin color in there.

I do think we’re missing some size at WR tho. Losing Brecht for a sideline back shoulder throw hurts. Having a WR corp that has both size and speed has been lacking.
One walk-on.

Reactions: CarterHall
Jones and Kasper both started as walk-ons, even though Jones came from Buffalo.

Vandeberg was a gray shirt initially, but I believe he was full scholarship before arriving on campus.
Ugggh. Great. 2 examples over the past couple of decades. Awesome strategy.

Ugggh. Great. 2 examples over the past couple of decades. Awesome strategy.
You’re the one the made the point there was only one. You don’t get to complain, and be wrong. There are a lot more than two over the last couple decades. He just threw out the names of a few white guys off the top of his head.

Off the top of my head, you could add Easley and McCarron in the last what, 6 years?

I wasn’t an ass about it. Just pointed it out. Since you got sand in your pussy, I’ll be an ass.

I agree, it’s not a great strategy to be counting on regularly. That said, if they’re better than the guys who are supposed to be studs, I’d rather have the walk on playing. If you have a ton of injuries, what the fvck are they supposed to do? Look in the crystal ball and make sure not to offer guys who are going to get hurt?

Reactions: cmhawks99
You’re the one the made the point there was only one. You don’t get to complain, and be wrong.

I wasn’t an ass about it. Just pointed it out. Since you got sand in your pussy, I’ll be an ass.

I agree, it’s not a great strategy to be counting on regularly. That said, if they’re better than the guys who are supposed to be studs, I’d rather have the walk on playing. If you have a ton of injuries, what the fvck are they supposed to do? Look in the crystal ball and make sure not to offer guys who are going to get hurt?
Haha. Love people like you. I stated that one of those that was listed was a walk-on. I was wrong on Kasper. Iowa has depended on walk ons at the position because it has been underrecruited. You cannot depend on walk ons for the WR position when your top WRs leave in the portal. I love me some Hawks but WR recruiting is not a strong point. Iowa has probably had the worst WR corps in the Big Ten for a decade.

Reactions: CarterHall
Yeah, weird deal…I’ve really never been offended by name calling pretty much at all…. dumb, ignorant, asshole, jack ass they really don’t bother me much.

Now with that said, I am pretty sensitive to how people respond to me, my wife in particular!

After 31 years and five of six kids being 19 to 29 with a 10 year old left, sometime we have difficulty communicating. And she is 50if you get my drift & she’s a little all over the map (she’d deny profusely ) and we struggle and I’ve noticed I can be a little bit of a whiny bitch.

It’s a tough time in life…. But as…..@coorsoriginal02 says….I’ve got a big Sky Wizard to fall back on!!
Sigh. Mention of a wife, followed by complete breakdown of observing the Rules Of The Board...

Haha. Love people like you. I stated that one of those that was listed was a walk-on. I was wrong on Kasper. Iowa has depended on walk ons at the position because it has been underrecruited. You cannot depend on walk ons for the WR position when your top WRs leave in the portal. I love me some Hawks but WR recruiting is not a strong point. Iowa has probably had the worst WR corps in the Big Ten for a decade.
Worse than Maryland? Rutgers? Northwestern? This is kind of misleading because our passing game has been centered on the TEs since KF arrived and we usually have the best TEs, making WR less important position here than elsewhere.

And Jimmy Page--with whom I agree--ranks Jeff Beck ahead of any and all.
I agree technically Jeff is much better, but Jimmy excelled at more styles and more diversified sounds. Did Jeff do anything acousticly besides Greensleeves?

Now that's just crazy.

Meh…. Lots of great guitar players, and lots of difficult styles to evaluate. I’m honestly not a huge Jeff Beck fan but I have researched this topic many times and there are people that put Brian May from Queen above all else and I don’t necessarily see it but it depends on the criterion with which your evaluating them….

As I believe you said earlier, Jimi Hendrix only made it to 28 and he was innovative as hell so it’s very difficult to project that out!

And as far as that goes, Stevie Ray Vaughan, whose life also ended early, was a stud!! I watch that CrossRoads video regularly what a guitar player he was!!

Last edited:
Jimmy Page thought Jeff was better than Eric Clapton? Interesting.
He eulogized at Jeff's funeral.

He said Jeff Beck was..."the best guitarist, period" on several occasions.

Bear in mind, Hendrix, at one point, said Terry Kath was the best he had ever heard.

It's just so subjective, not to mention fluid. Some days I am all about Jeff Beck. The next, I am mesmerized by John McLaughlin. Then, on to Duane Allman, then Terry Kath, then SRV, then Satriani, then Clapton, then Page, then Zappa. I have days where I listen to nothing but Steve Howe/Yes, others where I am in a Robin Trower mood. Or Randy Bachman.

Mood is as much in play, not just "skill", or "speed", or "style".

Last edited:
I agree technically Jeff is much better, but Jimmy excelled at more styles and more diversified sounds. Did Jeff do anything acousticly besides Greensleeves?
Love Is Green would be one. Then again, it ain't like Page obsessed over acoustic. And I would beg to differ on diversified sounds. Jeff, without skipping a beat, went from using a plectrum to exclusively finger-picking/playing.

But there are so many great guitarists, I have a difficulty calling any of them "the best".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT