ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ: Welfare Is What’s Eating the Budget

NorthernHawkeye

HB Legend
Dec 23, 2007

Welfare Is What’s Eating the Budget

Means-tested programs, not Medicare and Social Security, are behind today’s massive debt.

Ask any budget expert in Washington to explain the ballooning deficit and debt, and Social Security and Medicare will be high on the list of causes. That’s wrong. The real driver, the elephant in the room, is means-tested social-welfare spending—Medicaid, food stamps, refundable tax credits, Supplemental Security Income, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, federal housing subsidies and almost 100 other programs whose eligibility is limited to those below an income threshold.

Means-tested programs, not Medicare and Social Security, are behind today’s massive debt.

Ask any budget expert in Washington to explain the ballooning deficit and debt, and Social Security and Medicare will be high on the list of causes. That’s wrong. The real driver, the elephant in the room, is means-tested social-welfare spending—Medicaid, food stamps, refundable tax credits, Supplemental Security Income, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, federal housing subsidies and almost 100 other programs whose eligibility is limited to those below an income threshold.

peeing ralph wiggum GIF

Tax the billionaires and corporations. They’re the biggest welfare recipients.

Phil Gramm is notoriously loose with facts and language.
He wants all resources in the hands of his superwealthy club only.
Funny, he never mentions the heavily subsidized fossil fuel industry when he talks of wealth transfers.

Finance Newsletter GIF by tastylive

We do tax them comrade.

Here is the issue I take with your side. You state things as facts when they aren't remotely true. Then you're confident that you're right. I just which your side would so a little bit of research. Just once.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Some of the left on here are slightly retarded.

He didn't post conspiratorial shit from twitter -- he posted an editorial from the WSJ the presents a rational idea.

This is the sort of stuff you're actually supposed to respectively debate.
The left is never interested in the facts or respectively debating anything or anyone they just want to spout talking points and lies.

In many cases such as Amazon, they are paying nothing. We should go back to our schedules in the 20s and 30s. Wealthy people paid more and they were taxed at a much higher rate. Businesses flourished. Wage disparity wasn't out of whack.
They pay billions in taxes.
Just sayin.

We could start by paying a living wage for the work they do.

This,.. We would be far better off to pay more for everything we purchase while providing our domestic workers the ability to earn a living, .. Instead of handing out cash at home while continuing to take advantage of cheap overseas labor...

Reactions: fsu1jreed
We could start by paying a living wage for the work they do. Don't want to do that? Pay to fill in the gaps. Pretty simple calculation.

Then start paying it. Maybe universities and colleges should stop paying bloated salaries to professors and instead pay the maintenance staff a little more.

Reactions: abby97
Tell me you know nothing about universities, without telling me

Zip recruiter?

How about we go to every public university in the country and compare salaries of staff to that of professors.

I'll start.

Iowa State University - Custodian I

Start of pay scale:
Hourly 14.31
Annual 29,764.80

Why don't marxists such as yourself do something about that? Aren't you for "equitable" outcomes. How can you allow this? A professor making well over $100,000 while a custodian makes $14.31 an hour?

Reactions: seminoleed
Pardon me if I have no problem taking care of the poor in this country... anyone that does is a piece of shit human
I would add only this interjection: I have no problem helping the people who work and are trying hard to improve themselves. Supporting lazy individuals who have no drive to work is where I get pi$$ed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT