ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt Henson in the transfer portal

I don’t disagree with that, but if Demas does come back to form he has much better wins, ncaa results, and potential then Murin. Might as well roll the dice. We know what we are getting with Murin.
I must be getting soft in my old age, but I just cannot bring myself to talk about a guy like Murin, who has given everything he has to the program, as if he were a piece of furniture or a used car to trade in on another. It just seems wrong.

I must be getting soft in my old age, but I just cannot bring myself to talk about a guy like Murin, who has given everything he has to the program, as if he were a piece of furniture or a used car to trade in on another. It just seems wrong.
Why either/or mentality? I just don’t get it. A coach needs to put the best team on the mat, if NCAA titles are really the goal.

Why would Max quit the team if someone came on board and beat him out for the starting spot?

Reactions: TarpHawk
Why either/or mentality? I just don’t get it. A coach needs to put the best team on the mat, if NCAA titles are really the goal.

Why would Max quit the team if someone came on board and beat him out for the starting spot?

I agree with this. But Demas isn’t at the level where he’s an obviously better solution than Max Murin so count me as one who doesn’t see it as an upgrade but would have no issues with him coming if he wants to be a Hawkeye. It’s just that if the goal is to recruit over Max Murin, I’d support it, but Demas doesn’t fit that bill.

Max also hasn't had a healthy nationals in a couple years which should be taken into consideration.

If you want to win at all costs, then you would take a guaranteed top 3 transfer to replace Max, anything less would be foolish to me.

Personally, I'm not a win at all costs guy and would rather see Max have a healthy year and place top 5 himself.
I do take the health into consideration but I can’t use it as an excuse. I’m not a win at all cost guy either, but Max has failed to contribute significant points at NCAA’s the last three years. I would not blame the staff for looking to rectify that with other personal. The FACT is 149 is a hole for Iowa and as much as I would love for Max to have a top 5 finish at NCAA’s the data points in the not likely margin.

Giving everything to something doesn’t make you except from criticism. I understand some people prefer elegant lies over hard truths…

Reactions: el dub
I like Max! But his post season results are similar to Vincent Turk and Cash Wilcke and both those guys took a lot of heat when they were in the line up. Like I said. I like Max and hope he has a breakthrough next year. But I wouldn’t bet on him finishing top 5 in the country. Being a AA is a 50/50 gamble.

I do take the health into consideration but I can’t use it as an excuse. I’m not a win at all cost guy either, but Max has failed to contribute significant points at NCAA’s the last three years. I would not blame the staff for looking to rectify that with other personal. The FACT is 149 is a hole for Iowa and as much as I would love for Max to have a top 5 finish at NCAA’s the data points in the not likely margin.
You can't say you're factoring injuries/health into the conversation while simultaneously saying "he hasn't made the podium the last two years so he likely isn't going to this year"

Bull got 12 points for 5th, Tony placed 7th and scored 7.5 points. Max didn't AA and scored 4. The reality is anybody below 3rd or 4th doesn't really matter that much unless you have a whole team of 5th place finishers.

Which is why to me it doesn't make any sense to give a warrior like Max the boot for anything less than a title contender/top three.

Giving everything to something doesn’t make you except from criticism. I understand some people prefer elegant lies over hard truths…
I understand the harsh truth of it, but it just seems wrong to talk about him as if he were an expendable object. Let's put it this way. Say you have a daughter (no pics necessary) and a group of guys were talking about her and saying if they could find a prettier girl or one with a better body or maybe one who had more talents than her they would trade her in. Would you want the type of stuff being talked about openly?

It may be the truth that the guys are thinking that way and actively looking for a replacement (for Murin and your daughter), but that still feels slimy to talk openly about it. Life teaches some harsh realities - I get it. I just prefer not to dwell on someone's shortcomings or failures or talk about the hope of replacing someone.

No offense to you if you have a daughter - just using this as an example.

I
clemmy should not be in the top 10 after yesterday . NC State will cut there ass

I assume you don't understand the concept of depth?

Don’t be an ass. He is a respected teammate. Please submit your resume to Alabama as I am sure they will pay you millions

Turn overs per game:

Iowa 9.2
Villanova 10.0
Michigan 11.8

What is even more amusing is a player from a team who’s coach slapped another coach and had multiple players suspended is talking about discipline. There is a lot of irony here.

I wish my furniture would make the blood round now that you mention it.

Reactions: lookleft goright
frankly, even if murin doesn't come back, i'd rather roll with a young guy like rathjen or siebrecht than demas. get those guys valuable matches to help them be ready when the team will (in theory) be ready to compete again.
Not sure DeMas is a good fit for Iowa’s program. Or any program for that matter

Reactions: Gobblin
You can't say you're factoring injuries/health into the conversation while simultaneously saying "he hasn't made the podium the last two years so he likely isn't going to this year"

Bull got 12 points for 5th, Tony placed 7th and scored 7.5 points. Max didn't AA and scored 4. The reality is anybody below 3rd or 4th doesn't really matter that much unless you have a whole team of 5th place finishers.

Which is why to me it doesn't make any sense to give a warrior like Max the boot for anything less than a title contender/top three.
I seriously doubt Iowa is looking to replace Max Murin. He is what's he's always been, a solid guy and a fringe All-American. I fully expect to see him in the lineup next year and hope he can reach the podium.

I understand the harsh truth of it, but it just seems wrong to talk about him as if he were an expendable object. Let's put it this way. Say you have a daughter (no pics necessary) and a group of guys were talking about her and saying if they could find a prettier girl or one with a better body or maybe one who had more talents than her they would trade her in. Would you want the type of stuff being talked about openly?

It may be the truth that the guys are thinking that way and actively looking for a replacement (for Murin and your daughter), but that still feels slimy to talk openly about it. Life teaches some harsh realities - I get it. I just prefer not to dwell on someone's shortcomings or failures or talk about the hope of replacing someone.

In your example, it'd be one thing if TnT were openly talking about it (they'd be the boyfriend). HR posters talking about it is like a bunch of people watching The Kardashians and saying I wonder who she's (any of them) going to marry next.

However - I am team Mad Max he's gonna make the podium this year!

Well, an extra 8 points at 2-3 weights can make a difference in placement.

Reactions: vhsalum
Well, an extra 8 points at 2-3 weights can make a difference in placement.
I obviously don't think the coaches are trying to get a 149 in, but to me the order of weights by transfer need would go:

If a Jaydin Eierman comes into the portal at 149 of course you have to take him, but he's nowhere near our biggest concern IMO.

I obviously don't think the coaches are trying to get a 149 in, but to me the order of weights by transfer need would go:

If a Jaydin Eierman comes into the portal at 149 of course you have to take him, but he's nowhere near our biggest concern IMO.
I guess I am way higher on Nelson than most. I think he is an AA each of the next 2 years.

The weird thing is Henson is still listed as Hawkeye commit in his Twitter bio and his pinned tweet is about being a Hawkeye, and his IG says Iowa '25. Not claiming anything from it, just odd.

Reactions: hawkeyejr
The weird thing is Henson is still listed as Hawkeye commit in his Twitter bio and his pinned tweet is about being a Hawkeye, and his IG says Iowa '25. Not claiming anything from it, just odd.

If it’s saying commit then he hasn’t updated it for nearly 2 years thus not that weird at all.

How much to you want to factor it in? You have guys who have persevered at NCAA’s with injury( Lee last year, Clark a few years ago, and Kemerer this year) and then you have guys that don’t with injury(Eierman this year). Not having an AA at a weight weather it is 3rd or 8th is a big deal. I’m not saying boot Max. I cheer for him cause he is are guy and unfortunately are guy has not scored significant points at NCAA’s three years in a row. I don’t blame the staff if they look to change that because that is the job.

I’m not sure what to tell you here. Pointing out facts and reality comes with the territory. I cheer for Max and I hope he makes the stand this coming year, but I can’t blame the staff if they look for a better option cause that is their job.

How much to you want to factor it in? You have guys who have persevered at NCAA’s with injury( Lee last year, Clark a few years ago, and Kemerer this year) and then you have guys that don’t with injury(Eierman this year). Not having an AA at a weight weather it is 3rd or 8th is a big deal. I’m not saying boot Max. I cheer for him cause he is are guy and unfortunately are guy has not scored significant points at NCAA’s three years in a row. I don’t blame the staff if they look to change that because that is the job.
the answer to the "overrecruiting" is pretty obvious imo. if they are a clear upgrade, you recruit them. if they are around the same level or below, you don't. however, if they are willing to walk on and compete, you welcome them (a la max dean). but financial resources should be reserved for filling holes or clear upgrades. i don't think there are any clear upgrades over murin available.

could be wrong, but i don't think willie had inside info on iowa going after demas. i think he was just spitballing after hearing demas wanted a good rtc and iowa possibly having a hole if murin decided not to come back which he mentioned as a possibility in the same segment. i would be shocked if demas ended up in iowa city next year, but we'll see.

In your example, it'd be one thing if TnT were openly talking about it (they'd be the boyfriend). HR posters talking about it is like a bunch of people watching The Kardashians and saying I wonder who she's (any of them) going to marry next.

However - I am team Mad Max he's gonna make the podium this year!
I like ur optimism, but how many on here said that this year? And the year before that? And the year before that? Because I know I did. I won’t this coming year and I hope Max proves he extremely wrong.

Last edited:
I like ur optimism, but how many on here said that this year? And the year before that? And the year before that? Because I know I did. I won’t this coming year and I hope Max proves he extremely wrong.
I can understand you point of view. To me, Max has seemed to improve over the last two years. He ran into Yanni (and wrestled him tough) and then Millner who I think was a really bad matchup for him. If he gets a different draw we may be having a completely different conversation

I certainly hope that you just got autocorrected, because if I am trying to have an intelligent conversation with someone who uses "are" instead of "our" in a sentence on multiple occasions, then I am a moran.

pretty sure yianni not going to be in portal, every other 149 not much of an upgrade.

This is not about replacing Max. This is just talking options if Max decides he doesn’t want to return for his sixth year. Only discussing this because I don’t think he’s openly said he’s 100 percent coming back but I could be wrong

Really hoping he reconsiders and sticks around. I know nothing of any background or behind the scenes issues that may have led up to this, so I'm not sure how realistic that is. But he's gotta know there's a place for him in the Iowa lineup.

Really hoping he reconsiders and sticks around. I know nothing of any background or behind the scenes issues that may have led up to this, so I'm not sure how realistic that is. But he's gotta know there's a place for him in the Iowa lineup.
His dad was kind of a vagabond for years. If he doesn't want to be here or has doubts about his ability to make the lineup, it's best for all concerned if he looks elsewhere.

Some program will accept him with open arms.

Again, if it came down to this... you take Woods for the two years vs the potential of what Henson MIGHT do in four years. EVERY SINGLE TIME. And based on what Ian Parker did in his time at ISU, you almost HOPE he ends up in Ames.

Last edited:
His dad was kind of a vagabond for years. If he doesn't want to be here or has doubts about his ability to make the lineup, it's best for all concerned if he looks elsewhere.

Some program will accept him with open arms.

Again, if it came down to this... you take Woods for the two years vs the potential of what Henson MIGHT do in four years. EVERY SINGLE TIME. And based on what Ian Parker did in his time at ISU, you almost HOPE he ends up in Ames.
Ames would be a great spot for wyatt to land if he ends up leaving..

What do they need, 5 or 6 Henson level guys before they have a hope of competing with us? 🤣

Ames would be a great spot for wyatt to land if he ends up leaving..

What do they need, 5 or 6 Henson level guys before they have a hope of competing with us? 🤣
Henson hasn't even made a lineup yet.

We don't know what he'll be.

ISU just finished in 17th place at Nattys. Carver West experienced getting run over by Iowa fans last winter. Clones have been Iowa's bitch since 1987.

Next question.

Reactions: HawkeyeFever62
I guess I am way higher on Nelson than most. I think he is an AA each of the next 2 years.
Of interest, Nelson is 18-0 @ 165 (highest win #33), 9-1 @ 174 (highest win #36), and 12-10 @ 184 (wins over #10, 17, 20). So he has potential @ 174, but (1) he hasn't beaten anyone good at the weight yet, (2) he's never beaten anyone in the top 8 at any weight, and (3) he's gotta do more than hand fight and hope his opponent takes a bad shot in the last 30 seconds.

I don’t really get it. Nobody is kicking anybody to the curb.

Why would he quit if someone on the room beat him out for a spot and gave the hawks a better chance of winning a national title by scoring more points in March?
Yes, he has to earn his spot. Everyone does, or should. That said, Max puts it all out there every time he's on the mat. I like this guy. Can't help it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT