ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt Henson

Wrestlestat has Henson #34 @ 141 and Schriever #36 @ 133. I'd give Henson the nod based on size if he goes down, though who knows what difference in stamina the cut might make. Neither would've placed at NCAAs this year, so the question of who would win today is irrelevant. it's who improves enough to score points at NCAAs in 11 months. That could be either.
schriever is very technical, but lacks power and speed. i'm not sure what his ceiling is. he's very polished as it is. i kind of see him as a murin type. very solid, top 15 guy who could get on the podium depending on the composition of the weight and his draw.

henson seems more athletic. blows through people with doubles. good on his feet overall. weaknesses would be the mat struggles and a lack of diversity of attacks. i want to see him get to legs and finish attacks other than his double of the collar/inside tie. we saw ayala struggle a bit to get to legs once guys kept him off his inside tie. he'll also need to diversify a bit.

i think henson's ceiling is higher. this staff has a really good track record for improving mat wrestling. i think he can improve to average on bottom. but if he can't, schriever is the more well-rounded guy and has more ways to win matches. it's also assuming henson can effectively make 133. making it for a full season is a much bigger deal than making 134.5 for one freestyle tournament. if you had to pick a ceiling for either next year, i think it's the 7-r12 range, with r12 more likely. i don't see either breaking into the top 5.

I wish this surprised me…. A minor bummer. Next!
not sure if this is what you're referring to, but his father has always jumped around from place to place, including moving his kids around for different opportunities. i have no problem with it personally, though i obviously wish he was staying. you have a limited time to compete in college. no issue with finding the best opportunity.

Wrestlestat has Henson #34 @ 141 and Schriever #36 @ 133. I'd give Henson the nod based on size if he goes down, though who knows what difference in stamina the cut might make. Neither would've placed at NCAAs this year, so the question of who would win today is irrelevant. it's who improves enough to score points at NCAAs in 11 months. That could be either.
Well now it seems like it better be Schriever, which down at 133 would have been my guess due to the fact that he was down at the weight and getting some starts.

Well now it seems like it better be Schriever, which down at 133 would have been my guess due to the fact that he was down at the weight and getting some starts.
While Henson wasn’t even ready for the prime time opens.

Reactions: Mattski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT