ADVERTISEMENT

Wyatt Henson

Case I H

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2018
I was looking at who will fill the gaps next year. At 141 I would assume it would be Henson. He had at 17-2 record this year, was a 3 time state champ, with two of them being in Pennsylvania. His Dad has a impressive back ground. I was just curious how highly was he rated coming out of high school, and what are peoples thoughts on how well he will do next year.

Reactions: el dub
I was looking at who will fill the gaps next year. At 141 I would assume it would be Henson. He had at 17-2 record this year, was a 3 time state champ, with two of them being in Pennsylvania. His Dad has a impressive back ground. I was just curious how highly was he rates coming out of high school, and what are peoples thoughts on how well he will do next year.
Top 20 pfp I believe. He needs work on bottom but is electric on his feet. Also he could get bigger. He wrestled 61 kg in the offseason

Reactions: js8793 and Torg
Top 20 pfp I believe. He needs work on bottom but is electric on his feet. Also he could get bigger. He wrestled 61 kg in the offseason.
Flo had him at #22 P4P. Not sure of the whole field, but the top 3 @141 are gone next year. That helps Henson somewhat. Better hit the weights and the feedbag and get where he needs to be.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
He is tough. Moved between West VA (wrestled in PA though), MO and PA again bc of his dad (who is a little nutty) getting and subsequently losing the HC job at West VA. He's tough and definite multi time AA contender potentially. Still raw in spots but he has a motor and solid wrestling IQ. I'd say 2 to 3x AA is a realistic expectation assuming he continues to improve.

Flo had him at #22 P4P. Not sure of the whole field, but the top 3 @141 are gone next year. That helps Henson somewhat. Better hit the weights and the feedbag and get where he needs to be.
Is Lee gone next year?

Above average motor and gas tank. Powerful build but shorter for the weight. Good enough on top to ride some but not much scoring game from there. As mentioned previously he is poor on bottom. If he didn't struggle on bottom I would be very excited about him making fast progress into high AA level. He could still do it but he is deficient enough at present on bottom that it will cost him matches and affect how he wrestles. If I was him I'd spend every minute of practice and workout time becoming proficient at getting away on bottom. If he can do that he will be in every match.

I'm confused. One poster says Henson has a powerful build and another poster says Henson needs to hit the weights.

Henson is very good. He lost 1-0 to Andrew Alirez and if you watched that match he definitely looked to be in the same league as him. Alirez has a good chance to be preseason #1 next year. Henson also had a great win at the Scuffle over Quinn Kinner who is a MAC champ and kept Nick Lee and Seabass to decisions this year. Henson will be AA level next year.

Henson is very good. He lost 1-0 to Andrew Alirez and if you watched that match he definitely looked to be in the same league as him. Alirez has a good chance to be preseason #1 next year. Henson also had a great win at the Scuffle over Quinn Kinner who is a MAC champ and kept Nick Lee and Seabass to decisions this year. Henson will be AA level next year.
Yep, but had to choose neutral because of his bottom game and the missed escape was the difference. Was the right call at that time to choose neutral or it would have been 2-0 with him getting rode out and no chance for a TD.

Yup...he sucks on bottom. Whoever the Pai Mei of getting out on bottom is, the Hawks need to hire him for the summer and send Wyatt to him.

AdorableHappyEastsiberianlaika-max-1mb.gif

Iowa has arguably the best top wrestler in the country right now in spencer Lee. Despite the weight advantage Henson would still be hard pressed to get away and not get his arm ripped off in the process. He will learn. Look how good desanto has gotten on bottom. Iowa knows how to work this position for the most part. I'm not concerned about this weakness (yet).

I was at a coaches clinic where coach Davis talked about the "good" kids D1 recruits, they are so good on their feet, they rarely have to work their top/bottom game, and that was usually the focus their 1st year in college...if they really are as good as they expect, then they should be coachable and step up their game in the ref position...

Who wins between Henson and Schriever?
Wrestlestat has Henson #34 @ 141 and Schriever #36 @ 133. I'd give Henson the nod based on size if he goes down, though who knows what difference in stamina the cut might make. Neither would've placed at NCAAs this year, so the question of who would win today is irrelevant. it's who improves enough to score points at NCAAs in 11 months. That could be either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT