ADVERTISEMENT

Xaiver Johnson -Dolph

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
Just wondered if Dolph even noted that Johnson, the IU guard,
was the player singled out by Dolph long ago in that game the Hawks played vs Pitt that got Dolph in hot water with Fran?
I did not listen to the broadcast but I am sure he avoided it,understandably.
I do think it is interesting how stories like this turn out.
I agreed.woth his comments that nite and did think Iowa needed to recruit guards like X.
Fran did go out and get Joe and Ulis.
X played very bad last nite ,getting outplayed by our guys.

Funny how things work out sometimes.
Meanwhile, IU is in danger of missing the tourney for the 6th.straight year!
Fran frustrates us all at times but it could be.worse.
I Indiana has more top level HS BB talent in an average year than Iowa has in 4 years.
Talk.about frustration

I think Dolph may have survived because he wasn't wrong. Plus Bobby agreed with him on the comments, even if he wasn't the one naming names. Maishe was a good kid, but only averaged 6pts/g in 24 min/g as a senior for Akron after transferring. I think it is safe to say that he didn't belong in the Big Ten. I am a bit surprised that Fran didn't get him canned, but Kirk has much more power than Fran and may have spoken up to keep him safe.

Here we are a few years later and we have some better athletic players with skills, but they aren't getting played (and thereby developed) as much as they should in what we should be treating as a building year.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I think Dolph may have survived because he wasn't wrong. Plus Bobby agreed with him on the comments, even if he wasn't the one naming names. Maishe was a good kid, but only averaged 6pts/g in 24 min/g as a senior for Akron after transferring. I think it is safe to say that he didn't belong in the Big Ten. I am a bit surprised that Fran didn't get him canned, but Kirk has much more power than Fran and may have spoken up to keep him safe.

Here we are a few years later and we have some better athletic players with skills, but they aren't getting played (and thereby developed) as much as they should in what we should be treating as a building year.

Dailey, Ellinson, CMAC, JBO.....not exactly Elite guard corp.

Agreed, Dolph was right. Fran got mad, but he did then go out and get JoeT, Perkins, Ulis which are more athetic group on defense. Still missing a guard with both offense and defense.

Reactions: chuck285
Dailey, Ellinson, CMAC, JBO.....not exactly Elite guard corp.

Agreed, Dolph was right. Fran got mad, but he did then go out and get JoeT, Perkins, Ulis which are more athetic group on defense. Still missing a guard with both offense and defense.
I do think that Fran was trying to catch lightning in a bottle again in hoping that Maishe could be that tall lanky good PG like Devyn Marble was. But Devyn had NBA pedigree and busted his butt developing himself to being an NBA player too. Maishe was never going to be capable of that.

Reactions: CookyMonster
I do think that Fran was trying to catch lightning in a bottle again in hoping that Maishe could be that tall lanky good PG like Devyn Marble was. But Devyn had NBA pedigree and busted his butt developing himself to being an NBA player too. Maishe was never going to be capable of that.
Fran is too obsessed with tall lanky guys...it's his blind spot. Garza was one of the few exceptions in his tenure at Iowa. (because you know somebody will immediately say "What about Garza?!")

Reactions: amahawk
I
Fran is too obsessed with tall lanky guys...it's his blind spot. Garza was one of the few exceptions in his tenure at Iowa. (because you know somebody will immediately say "What about Garza?!")
I was thinking more along the lines of what about Joe T, JBo, Tony P, and Ahron Ulis?

Hopefully Bowen and Dix will at least be the partial answer to the problem.
Dix looks pretty athletic from his highlight video. Cooper DeJean also looked crazy athletic from his basketball highlight video but I'm guessing that was a combination of him being a superior all-around athlete and playing in a smaller(1A or 2A) where he stood out that much more.

What about Cook and Pemsl? Tre Dick or Fat Pat? Fran recruits all kinds of dudes.

I've had the pleasure of listening to the play-by-play of several other teams over the past couple years on SirusXM. It is embarassing how bad the Iowa play-by-play by comparison. Other broadcasts have the play-by-play guy describing the action and movement of the ball and then the color guys adds quick analysis during dead balls or immediately after a crucial/exciting play. Many times the play-by-play guy will throw it to the color guy.

By contrast, Dolph rarely stops talking and still somehow doesn't describe the action or ball movement. Seriously, listen to any other power 5 broadcast. The difference is astonishing!

There are exceptions to every trend...but the trend is still clear. 3 or 4 guys in 12 years is not much of a data point.

Pat is lanky, but who else would you describe as lanky on this year's squad?

Maybe Mulvey, but I don't think so, particularly when you factor in he reclassified up a class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT