ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

The below guys Steve Prohm has sent to the NBA and they have made/will make millions of dollars.

Cameron Payne (Murray State)
Isaiah Canaan (Murray State)
Niang
Morris
Nader
Burton
Long
Thomas
Horton-Tucker
Shayok

*Haliburton showing in a lot of 2020 mock drafts as a 1st round pick.

Yes, I'd call that a "bunch" of guys.

Bunch of stars there, most of whom were recruited by prior coaches

they are in the NBA partly because they are terrific athletes, and most of them were highly rated recruits to begin with.
Thomas, Niang, Long, THT and Nader are not high level athletes. Not even sure Morris or Shayok are either. Burton certainly is.

And here are the rankings by 247 for these players:
THT 57
Thomas 55
Morris 83
Niang 71
Long 319
Nader 243
Burton 50
Shayok 166

One top 50 rated recruit. None of these guys were considered sure fire NBA players out of high school. It isn't like they were McDonald's AA or something. Most of these players took 4 or 5 years to develop to the level they needed to to earn a spot in the NBA.

Thomas, Niang, Long, THT and Nader are not high level athletes. Not even sure Morris or Shayok are either. Burton certainly is.

And here are the rankings by 247 for these players:
THT 57
Thomas 55
Morris 83
Niang 71
Long 319
Nader 243
Burton 50
Shayok 166

One top 50 rated recruit. None of these guys were considered sure fire NBA players out of high school. It isn't like they were McDonald's AA or something. Most of these players took 4 or 5 years to develop to the level they needed to to earn a spot in the NBA.

You just listed 5 top 100 guys.

Fran's only had 1 guy in the top 70. It was Adam Woodbury. You couldn't slide a notebook under his feet if he jumped in the air.

You just listed 5 top 100 guys.

Fran's only had 1 guy in the top 70. It was Adam Woodbury. You couldn't slide a notebook under his feet if he jumped in the air.
But Fran has had several top 115 players:
Woodbury 46
Cook 72
Gessell 86
Uthoff 114

And I also listed 3 non-top 100 guys (5 if you include his Murray guys) that have made the NBA as well. Half his NBA players were not top 100 and none were ranked higher than 50. That is pretty solid player development that I doubt is matched by hardly any coach in the country. There are many coaches that have more NBA players, but highly doubt anyone else has 10 with none of them having been ranked higher than 50.

But Fran has had several top 115 players:
Woodbury 46
Cook 72
Gessell 86
Uthoff 114

And I also listed 3 non-top 100 guys (5 if you include his Murray guys) that have made the NBA as well. Half his NBA players were not top 100 and none were ranked higher than 50. That is pretty solid player development that I doubt is matched by hardly any coach in the country. There are many coaches that have more NBA players, but highly doubt anyone else has 10 with none of them having been ranked higher than 50.

You are giving Prohm way too much credit when it comes to player development.

Uhhh, Tyler Cook went undrafted and signed with an NBA team. That's EXACTLY what happened with Burton and Thomas who are ranked 20 spots higher.

I really liked Mike Gesell. Great team leader, good ball player. I'll let you decide if a different coach would have put him in the NBA.

Burton and Thomas signed multi-year contracts. Thomas' contract worth just under $5 million. You are getting a long-term contract and a summer league invite very confused.

Never once heard an ISU reporter indicate they thought Iowa was favored. That's all I was saying.

Of course you haven’t. You really think any ISU reporter, such as delusional Randy, would say Iowa was favored in anything?

Uhhh, Tyler Cook went undrafted and signed with an NBA team. That's EXACTLY what happened with Burton and Thomas who are ranked 20 spots higher.

I really liked Mike Gesell. Great team leader, good ball player. I'll let you decide if a different coach would have put him in the NBA.
What team did Cook sign with? I have not read that

Question....when Uthoff decided to leave Wisconsin do you think he knew he'd be welcome at Iowa before he did so?
I suspect yes, but have no idea if there was tampering, assuming that’s your allusion. Do you? I’m not suggesting Fran is perfect. Clearly I’m going off of general perception as I understand it.

I have no idea the course of events that ended with Uthoff at Iowa.

You are giving Prohm way too much credit when it comes to player development.

Probably, but the point is that there is a large and growing number of players who have played for Prohm that are now collecting NBA paychecks. That's a recruiting feather in his cap and it's not debatable.

I don't think the GF going to ISU is as big of a deal on it's own. It does however lead to him spending a lot of time in Ames on campus, and he spends a lot of time with the current players playing pick up and stuff as a result of it.

Probably, but the point is that there is a large and growing number of players who have played for Prohm that are now collecting NBA paychecks. That's a recruiting feather in his cap and it's not debatable.

I don't think the GF going to ISU is as big of a deal on it's own. It does however lead to him spending a lot of time in Ames on campus, and he spends a lot of time with the current players playing pick up and stuff as a result of it.

Yeah, I agree about the time on campus angle...that could really help them.

Personally, I'm not sold on Foster as of yet, so I'm not all that concerned where he goes. I think both schools will be able to get someone comparable if they miss out on him. I just hope he stays instate.

Spending a lot of time in Ames before you actually have to live there is not a positive for ISU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT