ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Came on here to see if there was any news tonight, but only crickets. Thought he was narrowing down to three today. Guess not.

Yeah, his family said his plan was to make it public today (Saturday). That was as of a couple of days ago. Obviously nothing today. I think it's going to happen soon, but Xavier is in charge of when he's going to put something out.

He's just playing with the beat writers now.

I don't think he is since his dad seemed to be the one who put the kibosh on the last announcement. I do think this is starting to get a little odd. Must be something going on behind the scenes.

That being said, its xavier's life and he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't think he is since his dad seemed to be the one who put the kibosh on the last announcement. I do think this is starting to get a little odd. Must be something going on behind the scenes.

That being said, its xavier's life and he can do whatever the hell he wants.

Totally agree, this is a huge decision for the young man. Would not have checked for news last night if it hadn't been reported he was paring down his list yesterday.

Something must have happened to delay the announcement. One can only speculate. Hope Hawks ultimately make the short list and convince this young man Iowa City is best for him. Would be a big hit to Fran's persona if Xavier chooses Moo U or leaves the state.

Totally agree, this is a huge decision for the young man. Would not have checked for news last night if it hadn't been reported he was paring down his list yesterday.

Something must have happened to delay the announcement. One can only speculate. Hope Hawks ultimately make the short list and convince this young man Iowa City is best for him. Would be a big hit to Fran's persona if Xavier chooses Moo U or leaves the state.
He ate to much at dinner and fell asleep early.

. Why it isn’t his decision.

. Why it isn’t his decision.

I'm sure Iowa basketball fans are going to blow up on Fran if he misses on Foster.

The thing with Foster is, he has the ISU gf, he has the Iowa family, it sounds like his dad might have different plans for him, fans across the state of Iowa are pulling him in different directions . . . his decision sounds way bigger than just basketball. I feel like Fran could put in the best recruiting job of his career and still miss on Foster.

A lot of odd things about this. First recruit I can remember where the dad rather than the player is the primary interviewee source.

He was supposed to announce a few weeks ago and Dajuan said he was caught off guard by that and then it didn't happen.

Then there were rumors about Xavier transferring to Oak Hill.

All we need now is Dajuan to start his own shoe company.

Last edited:
Reactions: owenhawk
A lot of odd things about this. First recruit I can remember where the dad rather than the player is the primary interviewee source.

He was supposed to announce a few weeks ago and Dajuan said he was caught off guard by that and then it didn't happen.

All we need now is Dajuan to start his own show company.
Ya, Im not feeling it either.

Are there other schools getting involved recently? What else could the hold up be besides to gain more attention?

Shoe

Reactions: CP84

Big Fos Brand? Or will they go with Big Foz?

Reactions: CP84
Are there other schools getting involved recently? What else could the hold up be besides to gain more attention?

If his Dad continues down this road, no high level schools will want to go near the kid due to his Father. Too many times, parents make it about them and not their child.

If he wears black and gold - great ... If he doesn't wear black and gold - great ... I'm confident the Iowa staff has done everything it can do to lure him to I.C. Xavier will do what's best for him ... Life will go on ... and Iowa will still put a basketball team on the court ...

I have the same feeling about Xavier as I did DJ Carlton ... That he won't be coming to Iowa ...

Reactions: Rudolph
If he wears black and gold - great ... If he doesn't wear black and gold - great ... I'm confident the Iowa staff has done everything it can do to lure him to I.C. Xavier will do what's best for him ... Life will go on ... and Iowa will still put a basketball team on the court ...

I have the same feeling about Xavier as I did DJ Carlton ... That he won't be coming to Iowa ...

I think everyone is in agreement that we'll field a basketball team. What we don't know is whether it will win 14 games or 24 games.

At some point you need to land top notch recruits. The Isaiah Moss class is a large part of the reason why we missed two consecutive tournaments. He was the only one who really contributed sufficiently from that class of 5 scholarship players. No surprise as nobody in that class was ranked in the top 200 players.

2020 is a huge class for Fran in which we'll take 3-4 recruits. If we settle for a bunch of mid to low 3 stars after missing primary targets then it could be tough sledding.

Right now, outside of Foster, I'm not confident we'll be in the race for any other 4 stars for 2020.

By comparison, ISU is sitting well with Dudley Blackwell, has the only CB for Jamari Sibley and a shot at Foster.

I for one have been underwhelmed by our assistant coaches recruiting ability. We've been living off the coach's kids and Iowa kids predominantly the last several cycles. They need to show some ability to land the higher tier out of state players.

Last edited:
I think everyone is in agreement that we'll field a basketball team. What we don't know is whether it will win 14 games or 24 games.

At some point you need to land top notch recruits. The Isaiah Moss class is a large part of the reason why we missed two consecutive tournaments. He was the only one who really contributed sufficiently from that class of 5 scholarship players.

This is a huge class for Fran in which we'll take 3-4 recruits. If we settle for a bunch of mid to low 3 stars after missing primary targets then it could be tough sledding.

Right now outside of Foster I'm not confident we'll be in the race for any other 4 stars for 2020.
Agree 100% ... Recruiting is the name of the game ... Would love to see Xavier in an Iowa jersey ... I've sort of become numb to Iowa basketball ... I'm a firm believer this program has peaked under Fran ... 9 years ... and you are what you are ... If I was a 4 or 5 star kid (and if I didn't grow up a Hawk fan) ... not sure Fran is who I'd want to play for when factoring in developing players and overall success ... Just my random and meaningless two cents ...

Reactions: Rudolph
If his Dad continues down this road, no high level schools will want to go near the kid due to his Father. Too many times, parents make it about them and not their child.

Actually his dad isn't micromanaging the recruitment. He said many times that they are letting Xavier handle things at this point and it's been that way for a while.

Agree 100% ... Recruiting is the name of the game ... Would love to see Xavier in an Iowa jersey ... I've sort of become numb to Iowa basketball ... I'm a firm believer this program has peaked under Fran ... 9 years ... and you are what you are ... If I was a 4 or 5 star kid (and if I didn't grow up a Hawk fan) ... not sure Fran is who I'd want to play for when factoring in developing players and overall success ... Just my random and meaningless two cents ...

I think Fran has actually done a reasonable job. He's made the round of 32 three times after inheriting a dumpster fire, and narrowly missed the Sweet 16 this year.

I think he's returned the program to Tom Davis levels. Getting rid of Frsn would be revisiting that history and likely set the program back.

I just believe this recruiting cycle is a pivotal stretch. The 2021 team could be Fran's best roster if Joe returns. Having a player like Foster to replace Kriener next year would be huge.

Actually his dad isn't micromanaging the recruitment. He said many times that they are letting Xavier handle things at this point and it's been that way for a while.

Not saying I don't believe you but his dad is also the primary interview source. He's acknowledged that he is involved in the weekend recruiting calls from Steve Prohm and Sherman. One of his interviews implied that they were calling him directly rather than Xavier.

You're more in than know than I am but I have to wonder why it appears that most of your's, Blair's and Matt Bain's articles are filled with Dajuan quotes rather than Xavier.

I can't remember another Iowa recruit in which the dad was interviewed more than the recruit.

Who dat?

Not saying I don't believe you but his dad is also the primary interview source. He's acknowledged that he is involved in the weekend recruiting calls from Steve Prohm and Sherman.

You're more in than know than I am but I have to wonder why it appears that most of your's, Blair's and Matt Bain's articles are filled with Dajuan quotes rather than Xavier.

Xavier isn't a big talker, especially on the phone. If you look at my stories on Foster, the first one had quotes from his dad. Rest of them have had quotes from Xavier. I think that it's an exaggeration to say that the primary source is his dad as far as quotes on our end. Have we cited his dad as a source confirming a visit? Yep. We do that with a lot of prospects. That might be the case with other folks, but not for us.

Dad is simply more accessible, so when you need something quick. He's been kind enough to do that. Xavier's not big on picking up the phone to talk to reporters.Not complaining about it at all. Kid gets enough phone calls and I understand that.

At some point you need to land top notch recruits. The Isaiah Moss class is a large part of the reason why we missed two consecutive tournaments. He was the only one who really contributed sufficiently from that class of 5 scholarship players. No surprise as nobody in that class was ranked in the top 200 players.

2020 is a huge class for Fran in which we'll take 3-4 recruits. If we settle for a bunch of mid to low 3 stars after missing primary targets then it could be tough sledding.

Right now, outside of Foster, I'm not confident we'll be in the race for any other 4 stars for 2020.

By comparison, ISU is sitting well with Dudley Blackwell, has the only CB for Jamari Sibley and a shot at Foster.

I for one have been underwhelmed by our assistant coaches recruiting ability. We've been living off the coach's kids and Iowa kids predominantly the last several cycles. They need to show some ability to land the higher tier out of state players.
Iowa State is sitting well with Arkansas 4 Star PF Chris Moore, and even tho Duke is the favorite at this point ISU still has a punchers chance for DJ Steward as well. I would he surprised if ISU didn't ended up with three High Level 4 Star Players in the 2020 Class. If I was to predict what Iowas Class will look like when finished I think it will be Desmond Polk, Gabe Madsen, Kiyron Powell, and Ahron Ulis. That would be a very solid class that should make Iowa fans very happy. Almost all those guys could sneak into 4 Star ranking by the time final rankings come out.

Not saying I don't believe you but his dad is also the primary interview source. He's acknowledged that he is involved in the weekend recruiting calls from Steve Prohm and Sherman. One of his interviews implied that they were calling him directly rather than Xavier.

I can't remember another Iowa recruit in which the dad was interviewed more than the recruit.
With all the crud going on with the FBI investigations and sleaze in the NCAA, there is zero chance I would let my kid do many solo phone calls with coaches either. Not sure that makes him overprotective, sounds more like it makes him a good parent.

Basketball recruiting fans have been decrying the role of AAU coaches and "handlers" for years. In this case it's the actual father of the kid trying to help him make the best choice and shield him from some of the negative stuff in recruiting. He hasn't taken a job with a university or done anything shady at all.

Iowa State is sitting well with Arkansas 4 Star PF Chris Moore, and even tho Duke is the favorite at this point ISU still has a punchers chance for DJ Steward as well. I would he surprised if ISU didn't ended up with three High Level 4 Star Players in the 2020 Class. If I was to predict what Iowas Class will look like when finished I think it will be Desmond Polk, Gabe Madsen, Kiyron Powell, and Ahron Ulis. That would be a very solid class that should make Iowa fans very happy. Almost all those guys could sneak into 4 Star ranking by the time final rankings come out.

I don't think Iowa takes Polk and Ulis now that Bohannon is likely to play in 2021.

My best guess at Iowa's class right now where I believe we'll be the favorites are Foster, Powell and Ulis.

I don't think Iowa takes Polk and Ulis now that Bohannon is likely to play in 2021.

My best guess at Iowa's class right now where I believe we'll be the favorites are Foster, Powell and Ulis.
You don't think Iowa would bring in 2 Guards just because J-Bo will still be in IC their Freshman year? Their time at Iowa will only overlap 1 season. Imo you can never have to many good Guards.

Reactions: anon_wic6m41528ao4

Iowa State also still in on Colby Jones and Ben Carlson as well. Steward I'd put in the same category as Suggs. Longshots but in their top 5-7 schools. Two open scholarships right now.

No one has any clue what is going on with Foster recently. People need to lay off his Dad though just trying to help his son through the process I'm sure.

Reactions: perryhawk
Iowa State also still in on Colby Jones and Ben Carlson as well. Steward I'd put in the same category as Suggs. Longshots but in their top 5-7 schools. Two open scholarships right now.
I would say yes he is a long shot but ISU has a better chance of getting him than Carlson. I think the Carlson train is long gone. Prohm has said on record he will oversign in this Class. My guess is Foster, Blackwell, and Sibley will be the 2020 Class for ISU.

Reactions: CLARKCOURT
I would say yes he is a long shot but ISU has a better chance of getting him than Carlson. I think the Carlson train is long gone. Prohm has said on record he will oversign in this Class. My guess is Foster, Blackwell, and Sibley will be the 2020 Class for ISU.

In respects to Prohm oversigning... I will believe it when I see it. I expect two fall signees.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT