ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Foster

You don't think Iowa would bring in 2 Guards just because J-Bo will still be in IC their Freshman year? Their time at Iowa will only overlap 1 season. Imo you can never have to many good Guards.

Sounds like Kiryon Powell will commit to Houston.

Iowa for 2021 will have Bohannon, Toussaint, Mccaffery, CJ Fredrick and maybe Ulis between the one and two. Four of those will be back for 2022.

They could take two if one is a redshirt candidate but I see one pg, two posts and maybe a wing.

I think Fran has actually done a reasonable job. He's made the round of 32 three times after inheriting a dumpster fire, and narrowly missed the Sweet 16 this year.

I think he's returned the program to Tom Davis levels. Getting rid of Frsn would be revisiting that history and likely set the program back.

I just believe this recruiting cycle is a pivotal stretch. The 2021 team could be Fran's best roster if Joe returns. Having a player like Foster to replace Kriener next year would be huge.

Unlike when Dr. Tom left, I feel like our facilities and institutional support are in a pretty good spot right now. Nothing is certain but I feel pretty good that we could land a decent coach who could leverage some upgrades as part of the deal if for some reason Fran were to leave. That said, I like Fran it would like to see him continue to get better each year.

It's interesting that Iowa and ISU fans are equally confident in their chan6to land Foster.

His HS gf goes to ISU.

His grandpa and uncle were Iowa football players and mom an Iowa graduate. His AAU coach first reached out to Iowa after asking Foster what his favorite team was.

I wouldn't be shocked with either decision but I think the strong family ties to Iowa give them the edge.

I guess we'll see.

It's interesting that Iowa and ISU fans are equally confident in their chan6to land Foster.

His HS gf goes to ISU.

His grandpa and uncle were Iowa football players and mom an Iowa graduate. His AAU coach first reached out to Iowa after asking Foster what his favorite team was.

I wouldn't be shocked with either decision but I think the strong family ties to Iowa give them the edge.

I guess we'll see.

Xavier isnt a life-long Hawkeye fan like Wieskamp and Woodbury. Until Fran puts a couple of players in the NBA he is going to have a hard time selling top tier recruits with a legit shot at the NBA who didnt bleed black and gold as youngsters. Not to mention, even Iowa reporters have said numerous times they've heard Iowa State is the leader in the clubhouse if he stays in state. Cyclone reporters have been extremely quiet for the most part. Like you said, well see...no one knows.

If Fostet goes to isu because his gf does, that would be ludicrous
If I was a teenage boy againdating a girl i thought was hot and always had1 thing on my mind you bet your ass I would go to the school she goes too. Hell he may legit love this girl.

Xavier isnt a life-long Hawkeye fan like Wieskamp and Woodbury. Until Fran puts a couple of players in the NBA he is going to have a hard time selling top tier recruits with a legit shot at the NBA who didnt bleed black and gold as youngsters. Not to mention, even Iowa reporters have said numerous times they've heard Iowa State is the leader in the clubhouse if he stays in state. Cyclone reporters have been extremely quiet for the most part. Like you said, well see...no one knows.

I guess I don't see where Iowa reporters give the edge to ISU.

The Iowa reporters at HawkeyeInsiders recently put in CBs for Iowa.

Reactions: Jim4edwards
I don't see the NBA card being much of an advantage. ISU has a handful of guys on NBA rosters but aside from Morris don't have much of any substance.

It's certainly not like the disparity between professional success with the football programs.

Reactions: kceasthawk

You don’t think Fran has put guys in the NBA?

Baylor, Iowa State, Iowa, Providence, and Virginia Tech

5d488fb047281-ZE6f2RU.jpg

Last edited:
Rob Howes post a few entries down. Heard/have seen it other places as well.

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/threads/xavier-foster.87278/

Rob didn't give ISU the edge, just said he'd heard some people saying he favors ISU. He even says "I don't have a feel for where he's going."

I still have yet to find Hawkeye beat writers who give ISU the edge. It's all speculation at this point, anyway. Iowa made his Top 5, and no blue blood schools did. At this point we're at least on even ground with the other programs.

Curious that VA Tech swooped in with a last-second offer and made his Top 5, though.

Rob didn't give ISU the edge, just said he'd heard some people saying he favors ISU. He even says "I don't have a feel for where he's going."

I still have yet to find Hawkeye beat writers who give ISU the edge. It's all speculation at this point, anyway. Iowa made his Top 5, and no blue blood schools did. At this point we're at least on even ground with the other programs.

Curious that VA Tech swooped in with a last-second offer and made his Top 5, though.

I don't think he has any blue blood offers at this point.

But if he gets one, he will take it IMO. He is going slow and waiting. I think he may even wait until spring to decide to see if better offers show up

I agree, and I think the Iowa and ISU coaching staffs know that. He's a kid that until he signs, there is always going to be the worry he bolts if he gets a shot with a blue blood.

You don’t think Fran has put guys in the NBA?

You being serious? Who that he has coached at Iowa has signed a major NBA contract? Who has he coached (head coach) at any school signed a major NBA contract? Iowa currently has zero former players in the NBA.

Not only that but right after he says some people say if he stays in state it will be ISU, he says people in his hometown think the Hawks are favored.

Sounds like a bunch of wishful thinking by both sides with nothing of substance to back it up.

Not only that but right after he says some people say if he stays in state it will be ISU, he says people in his hometown think the Hawks are favored.

Sounds like a bunch of wishful thinking by both sides with nothing of substance to back it up.

Never once heard an ISU reporter indicate they thought Iowa was favored. That's all I was saying.

You being serious? Who that he has coached at Iowa has signed a major NBA contract? Who has he coached (head coach) at any school signed a major NBA contract? Iowa currently has zero former players in the NBA.

In all fairness, its not like iowa state and baylor have a bunch of guys who received major nba contracts. ISU has a hand-full of dudes who got drafted but they play chump minutes in the NBA. All but one average more than 3 points per game. Monte Morris is the only player who looks like he could have a long NBA career. Baylor has three guys, one of whom is decent.

Yea, ISU and Baylor have more players in the NBA than Fran, but the players mostly stink in the NBA, they are in the NBA partly because they are terrific athletes, and most of them were highly rated recruits to begin with.

I would argue ISU's NBA success and Iowa's lack thereof has more to do with the level of talent entering the programs rather than the ability of coaches to develop players. This isn't football. You cant shove a guy in a weight room, teach him fundamentals, and turn him into a professional like you can with offensive lineman. You need guys who are NBA capable, and Fran simply doesn't land a lot of those. Blame his recruiting, not his developing.

Oh so now it’s major contracts? To answer your question:

Edwin Ubiles
Ron Moore
Dev Marble
Jarrod Uthoff

Oh so now it’s major contracts? To answer your question:

Edwin Ubiles
Ron Moore
Dev Marble
Jarrod Uthoff

Ubiles had a 10 day contract, Moore never played in the NBA, Marble had his rookie contract and played a few games for Orlando, and Uthoff also had a 10 day or two in there. I wouldn't say those were major contracts.

Actually his dad isn't micromanaging the recruitment. He said many times that they are letting Xavier handle things at this point and it's been that way for a while.

I apologize. Based off of the posts I read, it sounded like his Dad was running the show or trying to steer the recruitment in a direction he wanted to go in, not Xavier. Hope the kid picks the right place for him, regardless of location.

In all fairness, its not like iowa state and baylor have a bunch of guys who received major nba contracts. ISU has a hand-full of dudes who got drafted but they play chump minutes in the NBA. All but one average more than 3 points per game. Monte Morris is the only player who looks like he could have a long NBA career. Baylor has three guys, one of whom is decent.

Yea, ISU and Baylor have more players in the NBA than Fran, but the players mostly stink in the NBA, they are in the NBA partly because they are terrific athletes, and most of them were highly rated recruits to begin with.

I would argue ISU's NBA success and Iowa's lack thereof has more to do with the level of talent entering the programs rather than the ability of coaches to develop players. This isn't football. You cant shove a guy in a weight room, teach him fundamentals, and turn him into a professional like you can with offensive lineman. You need guys who are NBA capable, and Fran simply doesn't land a lot of those. Blame his recruiting, not his developing.

The below guys Steve Prohm has sent to the NBA and they have made/will make millions of dollars.

Cameron Payne (Murray State)
Isaiah Canaan (Murray State)
Niang
Morris
Nader
Burton
Long
Thomas
Horton-Tucker
Shayok

*Haliburton showing in a lot of 2020 mock drafts as a 1st round pick.

Yes, I'd call that a "bunch" of guys.

Anybody close or relatively close to the Iowa program, @TomKakert or @Blair Sanderson or others, a long-worded question: My hope has been that, assuming it is true that Fran is highly ethical and simply not going to cheat in the recruiting game, the Iowa program's high ethics would eventually pay off with a nice, long sustained run of being competitive for B1G championships. So up there with Purdue and Wisconsin and Michigan and Michigan State, versus being kind of stuck in that second tier. Given the current extra scrutiny with the FBI in regards to the recruiting game, do you have a sense that maybe the ethics and values of Fran's program is about to pay off as I've been hoping?

Anybody close or relatively close to the Iowa program, @TomKakert or @Blair Sanderson or others, a long-worded question: My hope has been that, assuming it is true that Fran is highly ethical and simply not going to cheat in the recruiting game, the Iowa program's high ethics would eventually pay off with a nice, long sustained run of being competitive for B1G championships. So up there with Purdue and Wisconsin and Michigan and Michigan State, versus being kind of stuck in that second tier. Given the current extra scrutiny with the FBI in regards to the recruiting game, do you have a sense that maybe the ethics and values of Fran's program is about to pay off as I've been hoping?

Question....when Uthoff decided to leave Wisconsin do you think he knew he'd be welcome at Iowa before he did so?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT