ADVERTISEMENT

You guys want to see some numbers that will make you sick?

The statistics probably aren’t easily available but I agree with a few of the above posters that we really should add a column on average total number of possessions per game. Obviously our style of play naturally helps the defense and limits the points scored (for both teams). Given the recruiting in our backyard is always going to be tilted towards lineman rather than skill position players, it’s probably a smart strategy.

Here we go again, play ground banter that just escalates and goes no where but down on the civility meter.

Sure, I could leave, but then mean-spirited and disrespect has prevailed. Maybe find a political message board, there's more bashing than anyone could want.

I'm holding out hope that someday this banter will remain civil and on point without degrading fellow Iowa fans.,

Just an early morning observation.

Well, you said a “famous” coach told you, then posted a clip of Belichick. Your fault. You should have just said Holtz.

And then you resort to your usual personal attack. Talk about sad! LOL. I don’t feel bad for YOU. I figure you just can’t help yourself. Pity.
It's my fault you make assumptions? Somehow thousands of other members of this board didn't make that assumption, but OK, I'll be the bigger man, it's my fault There, all better cupcake? Lol. I've already mentioned that you are obviously not the sharpest knife, but you at least have enough cognitive ability to understand that you personally insulted me first. Don't you??? I'm just being a smart ass, you don't bother me any, but if I can get you riled up after you insult me, I will. Good times.

It's my fault you make assumptions? Somehow thousands of other members of this board didn't make that assumption, but OK, I'll be the bigger man, it's my fault There, all better cupcake? Lol. I've already mentioned that you are obviously not the sharpest knife, but you at least have enough cognitive ability to understand that you personally insulted me first. Don't you??? I'm just being a smart ass, you don't bother me any, but if I can get you riled up after you insult me, I will. Good times.
Yeah, sure, whatever. You threw the first insult, but whatever gets you thru the day. LOL.

I’d love to continue to let you make a fool of yourself, but I have a Hawk game to go to. Enjoy the game from your basement. I’m finished with you.

‘Bye.

Way to much logic in this thread for 99% of the posters on this site. You can throw any number of stats relevant to what Iowa and Ferentz really are and they will dismiss every single one of them. its easier if you just keep yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" "GO WATCH THE CLOWNS IF YOU DON'T LIKE ABYSMAL OFFENSE"[/QUOTE
You know what 99% of the people on this board think? Or how logical they are? Wow. Is your stated percentage one of the stats on this site that we are supposed to find relevant? Lol. Rookie, you have FAILED! You don't have to get off my lawn, but you may mow it if you'd like. I fear that is about all you are qualified to do. Got any more 'stats' for us, lol. I love when people use a lot of hyperbole but want to be taken seriously.

Yeah, sure, whatever. You threw the first insult, but whatever gets you thru the day. LOL.

I’d love to continue to let you make a fool of yourself, but I have a Hawk game to go to. Enjoy the game from your basement. I’m finished with you.

‘Bye.
All we have to do is go back and look. And I did...You insulted me. Everyone on here who looks can see that, but you still deny it. Are you a politician? Like I said, can't take any responsibility for themselves are never wrong. Oh, the old 'basement' comeback. Once again showing you lack intelligence and apparently creativity. But, I'm not finished with you. If you're going to run your mouth, better understand your opponent.

Agreed. We all know that. And, your statistics support it.

Either KF's style of play (i.e. ball control, running game, control mistakes) leads to these numbers or he just sucks at offense. Three different OC's, many different position coaches and hundreds of players - the one constant is KF.

You win.

Now, let's go cheer on the Hawks to defeat our most hated rival!
"protected" rival! Lol.

Or, said another way, the statistics bear out that Iowa's offensive philosophy is to achieve a more equal run/pass balance with emphasis on ground control and time of possession relative to most other teams. That philosophy translates to less scoring over the course of a season.
And fewer wins.

5 losses per year is for losers....

And yeah, same customer loyalty with a burger and fball program you have supported your whole life....nice comparison. When you grew up watching Haydens offenses what goes on now can be unwatchable its so boring and ineffective at times. Lets just be VERY glad the state of Iowa provides almost no entertainmemt substitutes like a pro team or the stadium would be less full.

And when you can score a lot of points its just harder to lose unless your D sucks which is rarely our case. But say whatever you need to to feel better about kirks awful offenses....

And yeah, same customer loyalty with a burger and fball program you have supported your whole life....nice comparison. When you grew up watching Haydens offenses what goes on now can be unwatchable its so boring and ineffective at times. Lets just be VERY glad the state of Iowa provides almost no entertainmemt substitutes like a pro team or the stadium would be less full.

And when you can score a lot of points its just harder to lose unless your D sucks which is rarely our case. But say whatever you need to to feel better about kirks awful offenses....
This ^^^^^^^. Stats are for losers and so is 66 yards of total offense against a division rival.

That is because, to some posters, any hint of negativity immediately gets you called a hater or stupid. When facts are presented, they cover their ears and say “La La La”.

FACT is.....Iowa’s offense in most years is sub-par. It just is.

In other news, water, it turns out, is wet!

Reactions: Muskie5

Are you talking to me? I haven't said a word about Kirk's offenses. I said statistics are for losers. Why is reading so hard for some on this site? And it's amazing how people just make stuff up out of the blue on this site. Must be lots of drugs being done by posters.

The thread is ABOUT Kirk's offense. The statistics presented are specifically ABOUT the Iowa offense under Kirk Ferentz. It's amazing that people are so stupid and dishonest. They must be on good drugs.

Iowa's offense finished in the top 30 twice (2001 and 2002).

Iowa's defense finished in the top 30 eleven times (2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2016).

Pretty clear evidence that Iowa has consistently had a very good defense and very, very rarely has had a good offense. Yeah, like an earlier poster said, if Iowa could just put up a top 30 offense half the time Iowa could really excel. The "can't recruit" argument bears little weight here given how well the defense has been able to do with the recruits they've had. That and/or coaching. Offensively ??? take your pick for probable reasons.

Too bad, chances for improvement on offense are remote. Defenses will never match our hey day because spread offenses execute better and don't hold on to ball long enough for DL to get to QB. Game has passed KF.

You're not running the 'business', lol. You're a customer. Don't like the product or service, go somewhere else. Pretty simple.
Iowa football is a 'failed' business? LOL. Their 'business' has done/is doing quite well. I can't understand people who would complain about the 'food' everyday but keep going back to the same restaurant.

And as far as your statistics, they aren't really applicable to Iowa's brand of football. They live and die on time of possession, field position, turnover margin, don't break defense, and scoring enough points to win. How they compare in 'total offense' to the rest of the country doesn't concern their coaches in the least. If you don't like this brand of football, why do you watch and why would you be a fan?

A famous coach once told me, 'statistics are for losers. The only statistic I care about is the final score'.
And if you research it, most successful coaches say/feel the same way. Do you even know why statistics even started being kept? For Bookies and gamblers. Fact. Why the NFL makes teams supply injury reports is for the same reason.

Go look up "inelastic demand"

Reactions: ScoutRefugee
Too bad, chances for improvement on offense are remote. Defenses will never match our hey day because spread offenses execute better and don't hold on to ball long enough for DL to get to QB. Game has passed KF.

I'm pretty sure I saw this exact post in 2007 and a number of times since. Not much in 2008, 2009 or 2015 strangely enough.

FWIW if our offense was average* this year we would have won that game 27 to 24.

* median this year based on 130 teams #65 "buffalo" 27.8 ppg.

Last edited:
All we have to do is go back and look. And I did...You insulted me. Everyone on here who looks can see that, but you still deny it. Are you a politician? Like I said, can't take any responsibility for themselves are never wrong. Oh, the old 'basement' comeback. Once again showing you lack intelligence and apparently creativity. But, I'm not finished with you. If you're going to run your mouth, better understand your opponent.
Oh, I understand exactly what I am dealing with here. You are a very thin-skinned, immature person. You cannot help but resort to childish name calling.

As for your supposed great football knowledge...I am calling your bluff. I want your real name, and the schools/years/positions you coached. Put up or shut up.

When Purdue's defense holds you to 258 yards of total offense in your own house- you might qualify for having a pathetic offense. Iowa made Purdue's defense look like the 85 Bears. The Ohio Bobcats put up almost 400 yards against the Boilermakers. After looking at Purdue's defensive numbers, only Mizzou and Rutgers had less total offense than Iowa.

I'm going to hold these numbers on the board for my time here. I will start it next year for the first game as well. I will not mess with the data in any way. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If we would have scored our current average* (25.8) we would have won. The defense was still better than average*.

Statistical median for this year. 2016-17 defense,at this time,Toledo 28.2.

Last edited:
Oh, I understand exactly what I am dealing with here. You are a very thin-skinned, immature person. You cannot help but resort to childish name calling.

As for your supposed great football knowledge...I am calling your bluff. I want your real name, and the schools/years/positions you coached. Put up or shut up.
LOL. Calling my bluff? What have I 'bluffed' about. The coaches and knowledgeable posters on here understand what I'm talking about. The typical fan...not so much. And once again, it was you throwing the insults and name calling. You just did again. You don't remember what you just posted? There are quite a few 'challenged' people on here, but that's ok. It takes all kinds.... I can handle it. I just consider the sources.

Iowa runs an offense that the Iowa defense would like to play against due to its predictability. I would think that incorporating some things that give the Iowa defense issues would help.

LOL. Calling my bluff? What have I 'bluffed' about. The coaches and knowledgeable posters on here understand what I'm talking about. The typical fan...not so much. And once again, it was you throwing the insults and name calling. You just did again. You don't remember what you just posted? There are quite a few 'challenged' people on here, but that's ok. It takes all kinds.... I can handle it. I just consider the sources.

There are a few 'knowledgeable' posters who understand what you are saying. We just don't give much validity to it.

No, you can’t handle it. You always resort to name calling and insults. Can’t remember what you posted?

Put up or shut up. You are the one who claims to be smarter than everybody, that everyone else is stupid, and that you have all this football knowledge. Since you claim to have been to coaching clinics, you must have been a coach. Let’s see those credentials.

Put up or shut up.

I predict you will do neither.

Iowa runs an offense that the Iowa defense would like to play against due to its predictability. I would think that incorporating some things that give the Iowa defense issues would help.
I hear all this 'predictability' stuff all the time, so I did a little experiment on Sat. and asked some average fans that I was around to predict the plays (not just run or pass) and they admitted they didn't know the plays and didn't know the difference between inside/outside zone, power, or gap scheme runs etc. but they were wrong on about every play even just calling a run or pass or direction etc. in the first qtr. I don't think it's really that 'predictable'. Yes, it appears harder to predict a play when a team is running a spread veer like Georgia Tech/Navy/AirForce etc. and they have triple options, and it appears harder to predict when a team is running a lot of zone 'read' or Run/Pass options, but I think it's just perception. You watch Iowa every sat. and a lot of it looks the same if you don't understand the subtleties of their offense. You only see these other teams once a year, maybe once every 3 years, so it 'appears' more complex, but it really isn't, there just may be more options. A lot of it is just smoke and mirrors. A team like Texas Tech isn't that unpredictable. They are going to run some inside zone, but they are going to throw more than they run most of the time and they are going to throw under most of the time. They just use a LOT of formations. Really not that hard to predict, is it?

If your going to say due to nuances our offense is super complex yet a team that runs 5 more formations than us is simple you may not have crediablitly.

No, you can’t handle it. You always resort to name calling and insults. Can’t remember what you posted?

Put up or shut up. You are the one who claims to be smarter than everybody, that everyone else is stupid, and that you have all this football knowledge. Since you claim to have been to coaching clinics, you must have been a coach. Let’s see those credentials.

Put up or shut up.

I predict you will do neither.
I don't 'resort' to anything, I just don't put of with jerks. I'm not going to reveal who I am to you and I have nothing to prove to you, so save the dramatics. I will say that Al Reisner, Julian Vandervelde and Drake Kulick know me quite well if you want some references.

If your going to say due to nuances our offense is super complex yet a team that runs 5 more formations than us is simple you may not have crediablitly.
What are our personnel packages called? How are they called from the sidelines? How many formations do we run out of each package? How many total formations do we have? How many formations do other teams run? Unless you know this info, your statement is meaningless.

It's been decent. Went to the waveland for breakfast. It's a solid 3 star. Generally Sunday is for football and house work. Put the Christmas lights/tree up.

I don't 'resort' to anything, I just don't put of with jerks. I'm not going to reveal who I am to you and I have nothing to prove to you, so save the dramatics. I will say that Al Reisner, Julian Vandervelde and Drake Kulick know me quite well if you want some references.
There you go with name calling. You just can’t help yourself.

So....it looks like you can’t “put up”. I’m not surprised. Anyone can just throw names out. I can, too. But if you can’t back it up, then you are nothing but a Keyboard Kommando,

See...I can tell you are no real expert, and sure as heck were never a high school/college coach (possibly could have been a failed HS coach), because NO decent coach would claim to be smarter or superior than everybody else, or insult/call others names like you do.

You are a fraud, sir. Prove me wrong.

FWIW he has already been confirmed to have lied about sending an email.about his distaste for the staff today. He is straight keyboard warrior.

I hear all this 'predictability' stuff all the time, so I did a little experiment on Sat. and asked some average fans that I was around to predict the plays (not just run or pass) and they admitted they didn't know the plays and didn't know the difference between inside/outside zone, power, or gap scheme runs etc. but they were wrong on about every play even just calling a run or pass or direction etc. in the first qtr. I don't think it's really that 'predictable'. Yes, it appears harder to predict a play when a team is running a spread veer like Georgia Tech/Navy/AirForce etc. and they have triple options, and it appears harder to predict when a team is running a lot of zone 'read' or Run/Pass options, but I think it's just perception. You watch Iowa every sat. and a lot of it looks the same if you don't understand the subtleties of their offense. You only see these other teams once a year, maybe once every 3 years, so it 'appears' more complex, but it really isn't, there just may be more options. A lot of it is just smoke and mirrors. A team like Texas Tech isn't that unpredictable. They are going to run some inside zone, but they are going to throw more than they run most of the time and they are going to throw under most of the time. They just use a LOT of formations. Really not that hard to predict, is it?

I may have to go with those guys who make millions coaching the sport who go with some variation of 'we knew what Iowa was going to do, it's not complicated' have you ever heard an opposing coach say that about Iowa?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT