ADVERTISEMENT

'You just feel lied to': This struggling Texas woman asks why she got a college degree

Spot on.

My daughter will be eight in a couple weeks and I already see it with her. If she gets something in her head, even something simple, like a treat or a toy or whatever, it needs to happen right now and she gets upset if it doesn't. I just think about how my dad would have handled a situation like that. Whether through words or a smack upside the head, it wouldn't be good. Luckily, my wife (no pics) and I approach those situations differently.
All kids want stuff now and have to be told several times to ask Santa or wait until your birthday or even ask Grandma. I can remember hearing that often and eventually understood how that worked.
They need to learn about delayed gratification cause that’s real life. Waiting until they’re on their own at 22 is almost cruelty to your kid.

This.
Beginning to think the I need it now attitude is a major problem today.
And we can blame technology for that. If it breaks, don't fix it, replace it. If you want it, snap your fingers. I love telling my kids the Tale of Blockbuster. How we would get in a car, drive to the store, then walk around for an hour trying to pick out a movie and/or waiting on the drop box for a new release movie return.

They said it sounded horrible. LOL

what was your starting salary if you remember?
Mine was $17k in 1997
Good ol’ Days!
I’m thinking in 1973 I was making $100/week, renting an apt. For $150/month....and 2 BdRm. ranch ( w/ attached garage) in WDM were selling for <$25k...interest rates about 7-8%. (WDM was just starting to expand past 19th St....DSMGolf/Country Club was so damn far west of town you swear you were lost before you found it!)
Damn, I feel young again!

Reactions: BrianNole777
And we can blame technology for that. If it breaks, don't fix it, replace it. If you want it, snap your fingers. I love telling my kids the Tale of Blockbuster. How we would get in a car, drive to the store, then walk around for an hour trying to pick out a movie and/or waiting on the drop box for a new release movie return.

We did waste a lot of time with that nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: alaskanseminole

They're not wrong. It was pretty terrible compared to what we have access to today.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Good ol’ Days!
I’m thinking in 1973 I was making $100/week, renting an apt. For $150/month....and 2 BdRm. ranch ( w/ attached garage) in WDM were selling for <$25k...interest rates about 7-8%. (WDM was just starting to expand past 19th St....DSMGolf/Country Club was so damn far west of town you swear you were lost before you found it!)
Damn, I feel young again!
As in many things in life, it's about timing and being lucky. The boomer generation were gifted a huge swath of reasonably priced starter homes because their parents had the GI Bill that gave them 0% interest and no money down. Of course, this is true for a segment of boomers because the benefits under the GI Bill were restricted to certain persuasions.

Ferrell talks about how her father was able to support a family of four and own seven acres of land on a $100,000 salary in the early-to-mid-2000s. But now, that may not be possible.
Does she realize that $100,000/yr salary in 2005 was top ~15%.

As in many things in life, it's about timing and being lucky. The boomer generation were gifted a huge swath of reasonably priced starter homes because their parents had the GI Bill that gave them 0% interest and no money down. Of course, this is true for a segment of boomers because the benefits under the GI Bill were restricted to certain persuasions.
Here’s the other part of that, people can still get incredible VA benefits, if they volunteer to be in the military. Even if for only 4 years, they would you get the GI Bill and access to VA loans.

Now that all the old people are done yelling at the youngster for not knowing how they had to suffer...

The article is correct. Regardless of her expectations the wage gap IS growing. Companies are more profitable than ever but those profits aren't being passed along as salary increases but instead go to shareholders.

Now that all the old people are done yelling at the youngster for not knowing how they had to suffer...
Brah. I had to endure:
  • Scrolling TV channel guides (better find your show on first rotation or your waiting)
  • Recording my favorite songs on Casey's weekly Top 40 Countdown
  • Getting up to turn on/off lights
  • Setting my VHS to record Friends (praying mom wouldn't record ER over it)
  • Pencil rewinding my spun out cassette tape for my walkman.
  • Waiting in line to purchase concert tickets
  • Using my teeth to get that darn cellophane wrapper off my new CD!
The struggle was real!

“Too entitled” is a result of poor parental guidance. Plain and simple. Folks my age(boomers) biggest failure as parents was wanting to “be friends” with their teenaged kids instead of being parents. I always loved my kids...but I never “liked” them until they were in their mid- 20’s...I think they were close to 30 before I ever has a cocktail with either of them...
I have consciously always remained “a parent first”...
Agreed, I was in the Marines before I ever cursed in front of my parents. I was in my mid 20's before I had a drink with them. My kids were the same.

BTW, I was just commenting that I won't "Wouldja" her.

Now that all the old people are done yelling at the youngster for not knowing how they had to suffer... The article is correct. Regardless of her expectations the wage gap IS growing. Companies are more profitable than ever but those profits aren't being passed along as salary increases but instead go to shareholders.

So I think the lesson here is that she needs to become a shareholder...

In its youth, “boomers” also benefitted from unions and real wage growth...and historically this ended about the time Reagan took office (1981) and the tax code changed. “Reaganomics” was a boom for corporate America and the beginning of the demise of the American worker As far as purchasing power and the decline of the “middle class” in general.

The article is correct. Regardless of her expectations the wage gap IS growing. Companies are more profitable than ever but those profits aren't being passed along as salary increases but instead go to shareholders.
Shareholders = anyone and everyone who has a 401/IRA.
Even teachers pension funds invest in the stock market.
So we shareholders are benefiting from those profits.
And yes wages are not keeping up with the cost of food and fuel. There’s a cruel cycle going on right now. You get $20 an hour but then your employer had to raise prices so they can pay you that wage and so did everyone else’s employer. That $7 jar of mayonnaise can be broken down to explain that.
It’s why there’s unease in the system right now.

what was your starting salary if you remember?
Mine was $17k in 1997

First civilian job in my chosen profession after I got out of the Coast Guard was $25,000 (1996).

Nine years later I was making $40,000 before I got a new job paying $50,000. That place sucked and nine months later I got a new job paying $55,000. After a year with them I needed to relocate for family reasons and I went to work for my current employer starting at $65,000.

Today I make nearly three times that amount.

The woman in the OP needs to have some patience.

And yes wages are not keeping up with the cost of food and fuel. There’s a cruel cycle going on right now. You get $20 an hour but then your employer had to raise prices so they can pay you that wage and so did everyone else’s employer. That $7 jar of mayonnaise can be broken down to explain that.

Somehow the US is unique in the world again. Why is it always bad ways we're unique?
In europe McDonalds worker start at about $20/hr with 6 weeks vacation....and the burgers are still cheaper over there.
Raising minimum wage isn't what is driving inflation.

She very well might.
It still doesn't make the facts in the article wrong.
Wage gap is increasing. Housing costs are increasing. Cost of college is increasing. All relative to pay.

Labor costs have skyrocketed since the pandemic happened.

Just stop, Belem.

Reactions: goldmom
Osteen, Florida, for one.

The housing developments are still moving forward, but not without the commissioners getting an earful about "destroying the rural nature of the community."
Must be desperate to put up houses in Osteen. 😵‍💫
Most of the bitching in Florida is because the FDOT isn’t doubling up on efforts to build roads to keep up with the traffic. They live in Tally and are more in love with canopy roads than getting people to work.
Personally I wouldn’t want to live in these outlying areas that were pine trees and palmetto thickets just a year ago. Ugly and full of snakes.

Duke's was $9.49 at Winn-Dixie the other day and the store was acting like that was on sale.

Reactions: goldmom
If I recall, it was suburban areas of the southeast. Can't recall the specific towns.
it happens everywhere

any proposal for new housing brings out the neighbors to fight it

the arguments and reasons change, but building new housing almost always gets some level of public opposition

Reactions: ryan2144
We’ve spent the last 80 years undercutting the value of labor in this country. We’ve also spent the last 40 years inflating the housing market. Something has to give.

The answer from the right is always - just become rich! It fixes everything!
I don't see anyone saying that in this thread.

Looks like the general consensus is that it's not that you won't get the nice things, it's that they don't just come with your diploma--it's not automatic. You have to work hard, move up the ranks while saving and planning. It takes time. Jerry Rice wasn't handed a football and he became great. It took time and he put in the work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT