ADVERTISEMENT

'You just feel lied to': This struggling Texas woman asks why she got a college degree

A huge project I've been PMing the last 4 months just got canceled due to lack of funds, but AT&T just gave us all HUGE bonuses (myself included) and a nice raise. My project, over the next 10 years, would have brough in millions in managed services.
Are you saying AT&T passed on a multimillion dollar source of revenue so they could pay you more?

I stopped at a Dunkin last week because I was out and about and didn’t get coffee before I left the house.
I paid $3.99 for a just a plain coffee with cream. Haven’t been to a Dunkin or Starbucks in about 3 years. The lines I see at their drive thrus are amazing. People go every morning. Spending over $100 a month for a cup of coffee?
Over $1000 a year? Seriously?

Yup, and they don't just get "plain coffees"

They get double-shot caramel macchiatos with a twist of something or other. $6-7 a pop

And, yes, just 4 days/wk of that is $25-28 x 4 weeks is >$100 a month on froo-froo coffee drinks (and a few thousand calories of extra sugar, etc).

I just grind my own whole beans every morning at home vs. buying anything at Starbucks. Their Pike's Place "standard" plain coffee is garbage IMO. We used to get "free" Keurig coffee where I worked, and there was a reason it was "free" - tasted horrid compared with what I'd bring in a thermos from home.

Also don't waste my money on fancy coffee bean labels. Old school 8 O'clock is pretty solid coffee, and their Colombian Peaks is well above average compared with most "designer label" stuff. We also have a local roaster out here called DazBog, and they have a few very good blends I like.

They get double-shot caramel macchiatos with a twist of something or other. $6-7 a pop

And, yes, just 4 days/wk of that is $25-28 x 4 weeks is >$100 a month on froo-froo coffee drinks (and a few thousand calories of extra sugar, etc).

I just grind my own whole beans every morning at home vs. buying anything at Starbucks. Their Pike's Place "standard" plain coffee is garbage IMO. We used to get "free" Keurig coffee where I worked, and there was a reason it was "free" - tasted horrid compared with what I'd bring in a thermos from home.

Also don't waste my money on fancy coffee bean labels. Old school 8 O'clock is pretty solid coffee, and their Colombian Peaks is well above average compared with most "designer label" stuff. We also have a local roaster out here called DazBog, and they have a few very good blends I like.
I buy whatever is on sale (including store brand) or on BOGO, dump it in my Mr. Coffee and use store brand Half and Half. And a splash of sugar free Italian Sweet Crème CoffeeMate.
Sometimes I find a pound of already ground at TJMaxx for $5.99 and I grab it especially if it’s the Blue Mountain Jamaican.
The object is to get caffeine into my system. I’m not fussy.

Do avocado toast next! Everyone loves the classics.

I buy whatever is on sale (including store brand) or on BOGO, dump it in my Mr. Coffee and use store brand Half and Half. And a splash of sugar free Italian Sweet Crème CoffeeMate.
Sometimes I find a pound of already ground at TJMaxx for $5.99 and I grab it especially if it’s the Blue Mountain Jamaican.
The object is to get caffeine into my system. I’m not fussy.
Costco just had Jose's Colombian (really good reviews on it), $35 or so for 2 3# bags, delivered.
www.amazon.com/Joses-Whole-Coffee-Columbia-Supremo/dp/B004H2N44Q

<$6 a pound for quality Colombian whole bean. Not much beats freshly ground beans in the AM.

Mix in Lavazza Espresso and Tim Horton's into your rotation for some variety. Both are $15 for 2lb bag on Amazon, same as 8 O'Clock.

Mix in Lavazza Espresso and Tim Horton's into your rotation for some variety. Both are $15 for 2lb bag on Amazon, same as 8 O'Clock.

I like the medium roasts better than espresso/dark roasts. More complex overall flavors, IMO.

Permitting, charging for the cost of developing infrastructure and covering the cost of improved and environmentally sustainable methods and materials are huge drivers of costs. And because of social media who wants a starter house that doesn’t have quartz waterfall countertops- like seriously? 😏
Unless there is a glitch in the matrix and this is a deja vu post, you made this exact same post, work for word, within the last couple of weeks in a different thread. I have read this before.

Unless there is a glitch in the matrix and this is a deja vu post, you made this exact same post, work for word, within the last couple of weeks in a different thread. I have read this before.
Link?
And IF I did is it not still true? Problem?

Costco just had Jose's Colombian (really good reviews on it), $35 or so for 2 3# bags, delivered.
www.amazon.com/Joses-Whole-Coffee-Columbia-Supremo/dp/B004H2N44Q

<$6 a pound for quality Colombian whole bean. Not much beats freshly ground beans in the AM.
It may be out of the range of what you are willing to pay for coffee, but I've been a subscriber to this home delivery service that sends whole or ground beans out from small batch producers all over the US. You work with them to find your flavor profile. It's been some really good stuff.

Link?
And IF I did is it not still true? Problem?
No. Not a problem at all with the post. Just saying, I have read this exact post from you before, word for word, and if you haven't made it before, this is really freaky.

No. Not a problem at all with the post. Just saying, I have read this exact post from you before, word for word, and if you haven't made it before, this is really freaky.
Yes it is freaky. I don’t recall saying/posting it.

Are you saying AT&T passed on a multimillion dollar source of revenue so they could pay you more?
"feels" like it, but the left over capital we had in our VPs budget at the end of the year just got pooled back in and probably showed up as cost savings somewhere. I'm certainly not complaining. Bonus hit my account today. ;)

Reactions: goldmom
It appears this young lady has completely unrealistic expectations for a young person who has just entered the real professional world. Owning a new vehicle at that stage in your life is foolish and is essentially throwing money away, a newish Silverado in the middle of the options packages is a $50,000 vehicle. That's an absurd amount of money for a vehicle that's a giant gas hog with high maintenance costs for a person making $60,000 a year. My wife and I bought used vehicles exclusively until we were nearly 50 years old, buying new vehicles didn't make any financial sense whatsoever.

Similarly, we were renters until our mid-30s and we only made the leap to home ownership through some luck and a city sponsored CDBG grant program geared towards new potential owners with little in hand for a down payment. Getting into that "club" certainly makes a big difference from that point forward as you then enjoy the benefit of asset appreciation. I recognize it's tougher now for younger families to get into that with the insane market values and prevailing interest rates.

The wife and I are tail-end boomers, but we generally made smart decisions along the way and we certainly weren't just handed things because of our generational affiliation. We eat out only occasionally, maybe once a week and we don't fritter our money away on everything that the rest of the world obsesses over at the moment. People need to focus on the things they actually need in life and quit pursuing every thing they think they want.

This is true for every generation. I recently became aware that my younger sister who is in her mid-40s decided it was acceptable to open up lines of credit under my elderly mother's name at a number of retail stores and then use those to subsidize her lifestyle. $400 baseball bats for her grade school son, endless items of clothing for her that will never get worn, and certainly much more than that, we may never know the true scope of the financial theft she perpetrated over the years. And the whole time she cried to my mother that she couldn't afford groceries for her kids which is complete hogwash. Entitlement and consumerism is a sickness and it's far more pervasive than most people realize.

Yes, because we as a nation, have standards higher than most other nations...,taxes, pensions (SS)..health and the like..we “value” work more highly than most other countries.
Correct, that's my point.

It appears this young lady has completely unrealistic expectations for a young person who has just entered the real professional world. Owning a new vehicle at that stage in your life is foolish and is essentially throwing money away, a newish Silverado in the middle of the options packages is a $50,000 vehicle. That's an absurd amount of money for a vehicle that's a giant gas hog with high maintenance costs for a person making $60,000 a year. My wife and I bought used vehicles exclusively until we were nearly 50 years old, buying new vehicles didn't make any financial sense whatsoever.

Similarly, we were renters until our mid-30s and we only made the leap to home ownership through some luck and a city sponsored CDBG grant program geared towards new potential owners with little in hand for a down payment. Getting into that "club" certainly makes a big difference from that point forward as you then enjoy the benefit of asset appreciation. I recognize it's tougher now for younger families to get into that with the insane market values and prevailing interest rates.

The wife and I are tail-end boomers, but we generally made smart decisions along the way and we certainly weren't just handed things because of our generational affiliation. We eat out only occasionally, maybe once a week and we don't fritter our money away on everything that the rest of the world obsesses over at the moment. People need to focus on the things they actually need in life and quit pursuing every thing they think they want.

This is true for every generation. I recently became aware that my younger sister who is in her mid-40s decided it was acceptable to open up lines of credit under my elderly mother's name at a number of retail stores and then use those to subsidize her lifestyle. $400 baseball bats for her grade school son, endless items of clothing for her that will never get worn, and certainly much more than that, we may never know the true scope of the financial theft she perpetrated over the years. And the whole time she cried to my mother that she couldn't afford groceries for her kids which is complete hogwash. Entitlement and consumerism is a sickness and it's far more pervasive than most people realize.
Wow. I bet that’s had some serious repercussions within your family, both from the standpoint of your sister basically being a thief and conversely from how your Mom dealt with it when she found out (assuming she’s still alive?) sorry to hear that at this stage of your life.
A very close friend who’s a Doc hired his sister as his Office Manager and she and her daughter proceeded to embezzle $800,000 from his practice over two years. He had to sell his house and forgo salary for six months so his staff could be paid when the creditors filed suit for unpaid invoices. His siblings insisted that he not press charges and to forgive her. He regrets to this day ever listening to them. She insists she’s the victim because he stopped speaking to her.

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
I stopped at a Dunkin last week because I was out and about and didn’t get coffee before I left the house.
I paid $3.99 for a just a plain coffee with cream. Haven’t been to a Dunkin or Starbucks in about 3 years. The lines I see at their drive thrus are amazing. People go every morning. Spending over $100 a month for a cup of coffee?
Over $1000 a year? Seriously?
My favorite are the people that go to Starbucks or Dunkin 5+ times a week and order just black coffee. They make the damn blends for sale now at like 90% of stores. I understand if someone is addicted to a super complex, intricate, tough to make at home drink but just BLACK COFFEE!!??? I'll never get it.

My favorite are the people that go to Starbucks or Dunkin 5+ times a week and order just black coffee. They make the damn blends for sale now at like 90% of stores. I understand if someone is addicted to a super complex, intricate, tough to make at home drink but just BLACK COFFEE!!??? I'll never get it.
Well...where is an acceptable place, in your opinion, to purchase coffee if you are not home to make a cup?

Well...where is an acceptable place, in your opinion, to purchase coffee if you are not home to make a cup?
My point is prepare your coffee maker at night and get up in the AM and hit start before you start getting ready. If you are that addicted to a store's certain brand of black coffee just go buy the blend from the store

It may be out of the range of what you are willing to pay for coffee, but I've been a subscriber to this home delivery service that sends whole or ground beans out from small batch producers all over the US. You work with them to find your flavor profile. It's been some really good stuff.

I find for most coffees, it all starts with the beans.
And it's hard to beat Colombian coffee beans (or Kona). Those are my go-tos

She's apparently got other opinions. I need to reach out and see if she'll join us here on HROT.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
I find for most coffees, it all starts with the beans.
And it's hard to beat Colombian coffee beans (or Kona). Those are my go-tos
I am partial to Costa Rican beans. But, yes, Colombian beans are some of the best.

I walked thru a Sporting Goods outlet store last week....folks tell me how expensive golf is....$400 bats, $300 gloves, $100 helmets....growing up on the Southend, not too many of my compadres could have afforded these baseball necessities.

I hate these threads.

When I went to FSU tuition was ~$1,000 a year, and rent was a couple hundred bucks a month. Then I got out of college. Used cars were cheap. Rent was affordable. Insurance wasn’t nuts.

There are entire areas of the country off limits to most new grads if they had to subsist on their own. Price a good used car lately? “Starter homes”…lol, no such thing.

She's apparently got other opinions. I need to reach out and see if she'll join us here on HROT.

LOL, the fact that some people think that we should forgo funding Ukraine in kicking tyrannic Russia's ass and instead give it to them personally, or to help the homeless as though that Ukraine funding is so easily fungible is absurd.

I don't think you can buy groceries or help the homeless with artillery, missiles and lightly used war machines. And let's be honest, these very same people would cry and whine the same song if it was actually going to the homeless, you can count on that.

Do we know much about her? Where in TX is she from? Where did she go to college?
What was her major?
No idea...just one of those random Yahoo front page "stories" I clicked on and said to myself, "This will be a fun one to argue about discuss on HROT today."

I hate these threads.

When I went to FSU tuition was ~$1,000 a year, and rent was a couple hundred bucks a month. Then I got out of college. Used cars were cheap. Rent was affordable. Insurance wasn’t nuts.

There are entire areas of the country off limits to most new grads if they had to subsist on their own. Price a good used car lately? “Starter homes”…lol, no such thing.
My pops won $1200 dollars in Vegas on a baseball World Series wager in 1967 (he bet Cards and Red Sox) and that paid for most of my tuition/room-board out of state costs my freshman year of college. Crazy, ain’t it?

I don't think you can buy groceries or help the homeless with artillery, missiles and lightly used war machines.
You’re correct. But when the government gives away our artillery, missiles and lightly used war machines they buy replacements from the MIC.
There’s no free lunch, and there’s no free ammo.

And let's be honest, these very same people would cry and whine the same song if it was actually going to the homeless, you can count on that.
If you don’t tax people ever increasing amounts to fund the MIC to replace equipment our politicians give away then people have money to fund jobs for those without.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT