ADVERTISEMENT

'You just feel lied to': This struggling Texas woman asks why she got a college degree

Somehow the US is unique in the world again. Why is it always bad ways we're unique?
In europe McDonalds worker start at about $20/hr with 6 weeks vacation....and the burgers are still cheaper over there.
Raising minimum wage isn't what is driving inflation.
It’s not the only driver but for sure it’s got a seat on that bus.
I don’t think the US is “unique in bad ways” - by any means.

Good ol’ Days!
I’m thinking in 1973 I was making $100/week, renting an apt. For $150/month....and 2 BdRm. ranch ( w/ attached garage) in WDM were selling for <$25k...interest rates about 7-8%. (WDM was just starting to expand past 19th St....DSMGolf/Country Club was so damn far west of town you swear you were lost before you found it!)
Damn, I feel young again!
1988 E-3 in the Marine Corps with combat pay was about $1150 a month.

It’s not the only driver but for sure it’s got a seat on that bus.
I don’t think the US is “unique in bad ways” - by any means.
We can't raise wages like other first world countries....because America is different.
We can't stop shootings like other first world countries have....because America is different.

Somehow the US is unique in the world again. Why is it always bad ways we're unique?
In europe McDonalds worker start at about $20/hr with 6 weeks vacation....and the burgers are still cheaper over there.
Raising minimum wage isn't what is driving inflation.
There are so many more factors in the US that drives the cost of an employee, more than the hourly rate.

Reactions: goldmom
And you believe that's because minimum wage workers got a bump?
It’s one factor. The cost of materials went up too.
Driven in part because their workers got increases as well.
It’s a giant circle jerk and I don’t believe anyone here is trying to justify it. It’s just a new reality that has put a shock into the system.

She very well might.
It still doesn't make the facts in the article wrong.
Wage gap is increasing. Housing costs are increasing. Cost of college is increasing. All relative to pay.
Inflation is a bitch, it’s also a policy choice.

"The U.S. national debt is rising by $1 trillion every 100 days," Michael Hartnett, chief strategist of Bank of America, wrote in a note to clients seen by CNBC, adding it's "little wonder ‘debt debasement’ trades closing in on all-time highs, i.e. gold [at] $2077/oz [and] bitcoin [at] $67,734."

That’s not a new size. It’s been around since I was a kid.
terrific! did i say that was a new size? i didn't mean to if i did

its just funny to me to be complaining about the cost of mayo while buying a ridiculously big jar of it

Inflation is a bitch, it’s also a policy choice.

"The U.S. national debt is rising by $1 trillion every 100 days," Michael Hartnett, chief strategist of Bank of America, wrote in a note to clients seen by CNBC, adding it's "little wonder ‘debt debasement’ trades closing in on all-time highs, i.e. gold [at] $2077/oz [and] bitcoin [at] $67,734."
its a collective policy choice, made by americans of both major political parties over the course of many years

citing inflation as a concern is valid

citing inflation as the sole 100% responsibility of joe biden is ridiculous

Reactions: joelbc1
My MS teacher daughter does it on less than that and she travels. She and her BF went to Paris last summer.

My family of 5 survives on slightly less than that. Granted we're in a relatively cheap part of the country to live. But still

Probably by not burning cash on "status symbol" new vehicles and overpriced rentals when just out of school...

Kids these days are inundated with "keeping up w/ the Joneses" and spending $$ going out to restaurants/bars all the time.

I've said it many times before: many of the folks living in my community in multi-million dollar houses drive Hondas, Subarus and Fords. Just a few blocks away, there are renters living in fancy/overpriced rentals driving 'entry level' Mercedes and BMWs. And I'm betting lots of those folks will never own a million dollar home...

terrific! did i say that was a new size? i didn't mean to if i did

its just funny to me to be complaining about the cost of mayo while buying a ridiculously big jar of it
It was chosen just as an example. Eggs, milk, bread, detergent could have been substituted as easily and are also a shocker.
And the differential between price on a small jar versus the standard size jar still makes it more economical to buy the larger jar.

It’s one factor. The cost of materials went up too.
Driven in part because their workers got increases as well.
It’s a giant circle jerk and I don’t believe anyone here is trying to justify it. It’s just a new reality that has put a shock into the system.

The cost of labor keeps rising, the cost products keeps rising and yet profit taking is rising at faster rates.
Somehow it just became the new normal that the richest should keep getting richer while the rest stagnate.

It was chosen just as an example. Eggs, milk, bread, detergent could have been substituted as easily and are also a shocker.
And the differential between price on a small jar versus the standard size jar still makes it more economical to buy the larger jar.
fine...just ignore me then

because i will never not find it funny to complain about the cost of your monster jar of mayo

it reminds me too much of this:
b73.png

Probably by not burning cash on "status symbol" new vehicles and overpriced rentals when just out of school...

Kids these days are inundated with "keeping up w/ the Joneses" and spending $$ going out to restaurants/bars all the time.

I've said it many times before: many of the folks living in my community in multi-million dollar houses drive Hondas, Subarus and Fords. Just a few blocks away, there are renters living in fancy/overpriced rentals driving 'entry level' Mercedes and BMWs. And I'm betting lots of those folks will never own a million dollar home...
Correct. She drives a 2017 Toyota Yaris and lives in a reasonable 1 BR apt in Katy, TX. She enjoys reading and traveling when she can and isn't into a lot of material possessions. That said, with any kiddo that age she does hit the "I'm a broke teacher" button from time-to-time. I tell her, it's a choice to take elaborate trips. You just have to decide if that is your priority. If not, than reprioritize and you'll have even more money.

My SIL loves to tell my wife, "I don't have any money for Christmas presents this year [sob sob sob]", while simultaneously posting all the new outfits for her dog and $200 fish for her aquarium. The truth is, her family isn't a priority. And that is fine. Just don't lie about it by saying you're broke.

Priorities is often the culprit in these situations, and like you said, Joe, if keeping up with the Joneses is a priority, you'll likely go broke doing it.

I have wondered at times why builders even waste their time and money building kitchens nowadays, with some folks lifestyles. ;)

Brah. I had to endure:
  • Scrolling TV channel guides (better find your show on first rotation or your waiting)
  • Recording my favorite songs on Casey's weekly Top 40 Countdown
  • Getting up to turn on/off lights
  • Setting my VHS to record Friends (praying mom wouldn't record ER over it)
  • Pencil rewinding my spun out cassette tape for my walkman.
  • Waiting in line to purchase concert tickets
  • Using my teeth to get that darn cellophane wrapper off my new CD!
The struggle was real!
ER > Friends

She very well might.
It still doesn't make the facts in the article wrong.
Wage gap is increasing. Housing costs are increasing. Cost of college is increasing. All relative to pay.
I blame the YouTubers, tictak and only fans folks. Morons keep giving them money for bringing absolutely no value to this world.
They keep making more money somehow raising the prices of items. Hell some of these idiots get paid to promote items which raises that items price.

Shit look at the Stanley bottles lately. All because some idiots want to be trending, sucks for the old guy that alway bought Stanley thermoses and mugs and now he can’t get one.

Reactions: goldmom
fine...just ignore me then

because i will never not find it funny to complain about the cost of your monster jar of mayo

it reminds me too much of this:
b73.png
I buy a jar that will last me 3-4 months. Not unlike folks who buy 36 rolls of TP at Costco.
Not a big deal.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
There was an interesting report on NPR Marketplace about the lack of affordable starter homes in the US and then I listened to report about Boomers flooding city council meetings to put a stop to new housing permitting so they can keep their home prices inflated.
There's definitely a sense of entitlement embodied in the OP's video, but to suggest we haven't effed up home ownership for the current generation is ignoring the obvious.

I blame the YouTubers, tictak and only fans folks. Morons keep giving them money for bringing absolutely no value to this world.
They keep making more money somehow raising the prices of items. Hell some of these idiots get paid to promote items which raises that items price.

Shit look at the Stanley bottles lately. All because some idiots want to be trending, sucks for the old guy that alway bought Stanley thermoses and mugs and now he can’t get one.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777

• Love
Reactions: IAFB2021Champs
Shareholders = anyone and everyone who has a 401/IRA.
Even teachers pension funds invest in the stock market.
So we shareholders are benefiting from those profits.
And yes wages are not keeping up with the cost of food and fuel. There’s a cruel cycle going on right now. You get $20 an hour but then your employer had to raise prices so they can pay you that wage and so did everyone else’s employer. That $7 jar of mayonnaise can be broken down to explain that.
It’s why there’s unease in the system right now.
Bullshit…not that you’ll see it. Profits that used to go to raising wages now go to management and shareholders. Workers, for decades, were shut out of productivity gains because they had no leverage and they’ve been falling further and further behind all that time. The idea that rising wages are driving inflation is idiotically ridiculous. Your forte.

I stopped at a Dunkin last week because I was out and about and didn’t get coffee before I left the house.
I paid $3.99 for a just a plain coffee with cream. Haven’t been to a Dunkin or Starbucks in about 3 years. The lines I see at their drive thrus are amazing. People go every morning. Spending over $100 a month for a cup of coffee?
Over $1000 a year? Seriously?

Bullshit…not that you’ll see it. Profits that used to go to raising wages now go to management and shareholders. Workers, for decades, were shut out of productivity gains because they had no leverage and they’ve been falling further and further behind all that time. The idea that rising wages are driving inflation is idiotically ridiculous. Your forte.
A huge project I've been PMing the last 4 months just got canceled due to lack of funds, but AT&T just gave us all HUGE bonuses (myself included) and a nice raise. My project, over the next 10 years, would have brough in millions in managed services.

There's definitely a sense of entitlement embodied in the OP's video, but to suggest we haven't effed up home ownership for the current generation is ignoring the obvious.
Permitting, charging for the cost of developing infrastructure and covering the cost of improved and environmentally sustainable methods and materials are huge drivers of costs. And because of social media who wants a starter house that doesn’t have quartz waterfall countertops- like seriously? 😏

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT