ADVERTISEMENT

You know you’re at a small town bar...

A place that I stop at has many of these. Bartenders leaving to burn heaters, handing full bottles of booze to regulars, a sixer roadie served in a cutoff 12 pack of 7-up. What really surprises me, although it shouldn’t, is the overt weed culture. Wax pens used inside the bar and right outside the front door, open edible sales at the bar including coolers brought in with cake pops or cookies and zero fugs are given. It’s badass.

The town I went to high school (Remsen) in had a population of around 2,500 when I was growing up in the 70s. At that time, it had around 18 bars/restaurants and all of them were regularly full. Lots of Germans and Luxembourgers. Population now is maybe 2,000 with three bars, a bowling alley and two restaurants. Unreal.

The town I went to high school (Remsen) in had a population of around 2,500 when I was growing up in the 70s. At that time, it had around 18 bars/restaurants and all of them were regularly full. Lots of Germans and Luxembourgers. Population now is maybe 2,000 with three bars, a bowling alley and two restaurants. Unreal.
Young people do not hang out in bars anymore. Used to be lots of card playing. In the 40's and 50's people sang together.

Reactions: jasonrann
There was a time it was said that every other door for 2-3 blocks of Main Street in Prairie duchien wi was a bar.

Remsen is a little bastion of German paradise. Always thought it was a cool little town.

My experience is if a random girls talks to you and the entire batch wants to kill you. Too many times we’ve been run out buy locals. My cousin is the baddest dude in my mother’s home town so I’d get it going intentionally just so we could roll. He put a stop to that after he caught on, but I had already banged all the hot ones or both of them I should say...at the same time once on my birthday. Coke and jacuzzis are powerful aphrodisiacs.

edit: I didn’t have nor do any coke and never have, but those girls did.

edit again: My main one called me the next day and apologized for putting me in that situation. Ran into her recently, 20 years later, and she apologized again.

Last edited:
Remsen is a little bastion of German paradise. Always thought it was a cool little town.

When I was a senior at UNI, I had the pleasure of having a class taught by Robert James Waller. The name may not be familiar, but he wrote the book Bridges of Madison County. We were his last class that he was teaching as he was preparing to take a leave of absence for a “project” that turned out to be that book. Anyway, he was also an amateur photographer and musician. One day in class he was talking about some pictures he had taken over by Pocahontas and asked if anyone was familiar with the area. I told him that I drove through there on my way to and from home to get to school. He asked where I was from and I told him Remsen expecting he would have no clue where it was. He responds and says “Remsen?! The best damn beer drinking town in Iowa?!” and proceeded to come over and shake my hand. CSB stuff, but it made an impression on me that a guy that had traveled the world thought so much of our little town.

I was just up there last weekend for Oktoberfest. The traditional meal is absolutely outstanding. I talked to people that drive 90 minutes to just come and eat.

edit: I didn’t have nor do any coke and never have, but those girls did.

edit again: My main one called me the next day and apologized for putting me in that situation. Ran into her recently, 20 years later, and she apologized again.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SansSouci
I remember heading over to the Triangle during a wedding reception at the Avalon ballroom. Vaguely remember Beer City. I've also played in a pinochle tournament at the VFW. I practically grew up in Remsen I have so much family from there. We probably know each other, might even be related.

I remember heading over to the Triangle during a wedding reception at the Avalon ballroom. Vaguely remember Beer City. I've also played in a pinochle tournament at the VFW. I practically grew up in Remsen I have so much family from there. We probably know each other, might even be related.

The Triangle and Beer City are still in action. Triangle has Mexican food (on Mondays I think) done by the same folks from the place in Merrill. Beer City has really good pizza and I think they do broasted chicken one night. I am guessing our paths have crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT