ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2018 Starters! Do we have what it takes to win the West?

Given our situation at LB I think it'd be interesting to give Duwa a look at MLB. He has the size and will likely still add some weight. I thought I read somewhere that he was impressing and has some nasty to him.
Yea he's got the size and can add weight alright. He'll end up much bigger than yer typical backer. I think OL is fast quickly becoming the more pressing concern. Might as well keep him practicing at center.

The entire discussion is here: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ecting-iowa-football-starters-2018/986974001/

SUMMARY: 2018 projected starting lineup

Offense

SE — Ihmir Smith-Marsette (soph.): Wide receiver will continue to be a question mark that it was in 2017 for the Hawkeyes. Smith-Marsette, though, clearly showed promise by launching himself into the rotation from the get-go as a true freshman.

TE — Noah Fant (jr.): Enjoyed a breakout season in his first year as a starter, showing a combination of size and speed that burned the linebackers and safeties who tried to cover him. The Omaha native wound up with 11 touchdown receptions, tops in the Big Ten.

LT — Tristan Wirfs (soph.): One of the many young players thrust into action this year, Wirfs ended up becoming the first true freshman in the Kirk Ferentz era to be a starting tackle.

LG — Ross Reynolds (sr.): Though he only made one start (in the season opener against Wyoming), the Waukee native was essentially a half-time starter in a rotation here with Keegan Render.

C — James Daniels (sr.): If he doesn't turn pro early, Daniels (an athletic 6-4, 295) will enter 2018 as one of the top centers in college football. He won't turn 21 until September, yet has already amassed 25 career starts. If he does choose to leave, redshirt sophomores Cole Banwart and Spencer Williams could be vying for this crucial spot.

RG — Keegan Render (sr.): Considering he has 20 career starts (19 at guard), he almost certainly will be somewhere inside on Iowa's 2018 offensive line.

RT — Alaric Jackson (soph.): Started 12 games at left tackle before being suspended for the bowl game for undisclosed reasons. At 6-7, 320, he should only get better.

TE — T.J. Hockenson (soph.): Became a clutch, crucial piece to offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz’s two-tight end offense as a redshirt freshman. Seventeen of his 24 receptions went for first downs, and he also showed excellent blocking skills that will only get better.

WR — Nick Easley (sr.): The walk-on from Newton became Iowa’s leading receiver in 2017 and should be on scholarship soon.

QB — Nate Stanley (jr.): Undoubtedly Iowa’s quarterback for the next two years after a strong true-sophomore season that saw him throw for 2,437 yards, 26 touchdowns and only six interceptions.

FB — Brady Ross (jr.): The fullback position isn’t going away at Iowa, and with Drake Kulick’s eligibility expired, Ross’ role will increase.

RB — Toren Young (soph.): With Akrum Wadley and James Butler moving on, the running-back position at Iowa gets a lot younger. The role will likely be shared, but Young has the size (5-11, 220) and durability to rack up the team’s most carries. Ivory Kelly-Martin could become the primary third-down back after an impressive true-freshman season. Incoming freshman Henry Geil might also play immediately.

PK — Miguel Recinos (sr.): Newly placed on scholarship, Recinos had an impressive first season as Iowa’s full-time placekicker, making 55 of his 57 total attempts. After beating out incumbent Keith Duncan for the role, the Mason City native was particularly solid on kickoffs. His emergence allowed Duncan to redshirt and preserve three years of eligibility.

Defense

LE — Anthony Nelson (jr.): The 6-foot-7, 260-pounder from Waukee was Iowa’s best edge rusher, and he keeps getting better. Nelson’s backup, Sam Brincks, played well this fall and will be in the rotation, too.

LT — Matt Nelson (sr.): Seemed to gain traction toward the end of his first season as 6-foot-8 defensive tackle after spending his first two playing seasons at defensive end. Replacing the gritty work of Nathan Bazata (37 career starts) will be difficult.

RT — Cedrick Lattimore (jr.): Needs to take a big step from his sophomore to junior year, as many Iowa defensive tackles in years past have done. Think Louis Trinca-Pasat. Incoming junior-college transfer Daviyon Nixon will compete for playing time, too.

RE — A.J. Epenesa (soph.): Putting the true sophomore here is no slight against Parker Hesse, who made his 34rd career start Wednesday and is a team leader. But it’s going to be hard to keep Epenesa out of the starting lineup after his first winter and spring with Chris Doyle.

WLB — Aaron Mends (sr.): “Where’s Mends?” has been a frequent question over the years. The supremely strong, fast player needs to improve on the mental side of the game. The prediction here is he puts it together for his fifth year, much like Cole Fisher did for Iowa in 2015.

MLB — Kristian Welch (jr.): Replacing Josey Jewell will be an impossible task, but somebody’s got to do it. Welch seems to have the inside track over Jack Hockaday and Amani Jones (who will also battle Mends at weak-side linebacker) at this point, though this will likely be an ongoing story that could spill into the season. Iowa has to get this one right.

OLB — Jake Gervase (sr.): Going out on a limb here, but when Phil Parker mentioned he might move a safety into this role in 2018, it would make sense if Gervase is that guy. If he can add five pounds to get to 6-1, 215, he could be the hybrid cover guy and run stopper that the Hawkeyes need as three-year starter Ben Niemann moves on. Also watch for Nick Niemann, Ben’s brother and a sophomore-to-be, to get a shot here.

LC — Manny Rugamba (jr.): The assumption here is that junior all-American Josh Jackson turns pro. Rugamba had a wobbly sophomore campaign. He was suspended for the season opener, then later lost his starting job after struggling against Purdue. Still, he has loads of talent and should be able to rebound.

SS — Amani Hooker (jr.): Became one of Iowa’s most impactful players in his true sophomore year, down to the finish when he made two touchdown-saving tackles against Boston College.

FS — Brandon Snyder (sr.): This will be an interesting story to follow. Snyder is recovering from his second ACL tear and also must work his way back into good standing after his December OWI arrest.

RC — Matt Hankins (soph.): Got his chance late in the year and ran with it; made seven tackles in the Pinstripe Bowl. Iowa has recruited a lot of defensive backs in the last two cycles as it tries to bolster its secondary, so the competition will be crowded.

P — Ryan Gersonde (soph.): A major weakness in 2017. Gersonde, who is on scholarship, got his chance midway through the season and showed a booming leg but wild inconsistency before an injury sidelined him down the stretch.

Per Chad of HawkCentral, now that Daniels has chosen to leave, redshirt sophomores Cole Banwart and Spencer Williams could be vying for this crucial Center spot.

Thoughts?

I am more concerned about our back 7 on defense and our punting. Hope the coaches figure it out.

Per Chad of HawkCentral, now that Daniels has chosen to leave, redshirt sophomores Cole Banwart and Spencer Williams could be vying for this crucial Center spot.

Thoughts?

I am more concerned about our back 7 on defense and our punting. Hope the coaches figure it out.
I wouldn’t say back 7. Just linebackers. I fully expect the back 4 to be a strength. I am much more concerned about the OL than the defensive backfield.

I wouldn’t say back 7. Just linebackers. I fully expect the back 4 to be a strength. I am much more concerned about the OL than the defensive backfield.
thanks for your insight; i hate losing Jackson, but he had to move on

do you think they have enough talent to figure out the starting 5 where they can not only compete but BEAT Wisconsin at HOME?

thanks for your insight; i hate losing Jackson, but he had to move on

do you think they have enough talent to figure out the starting 5 where they can not only compete but BEAT Wisconsin at HOME?
I may be sensing some sarcasm, but here are my worthless opinions that may or may not be correct.

The talent? Sure, I would guess they have the talent. They had the talent in 2017, but it didn’t equate to a good, or even above average OL. They had at least four kids that I would bet money will be drafted some day. Unfortunately, two them had never played a down of college football coming into the season.

Can they beat Wisconsin at home? Of course they can, but the OL is probably going to need to come together a little quicker than I’d expect them to.

I may be sensing some sarcasm, but here are my worthless opinions that may or may not be correct.

The talent? Sure, I would guess they have the talent. They had the talent in 2017, but it didn’t equate to a good, or even above average OL. They had at least four kids that I would bet money will be drafted some day. Unfortunately, two them had never played a down of college football coming into the season.

Can they beat Wisconsin at home? Of course they can, but the OL is probably going to need to come together a little quicker than I’d expect them to.
no sarcasm at all; we all have opinions....

Yes we can beat Wisconsin at home but we are going to have to play a very clean game on both sides of the football. We did not do that at Madison last year.

Thoughts?

Here would be my ideal 2018 offensive line:
Jackson
Reynolds
Render
Paulsen
Wirfs

At Ohio State THEY don't need to develop players because they get all-americans who don't need development.
But at Iowa our all-americans need development apparently.
lol

The excuses are pathetic and predictable. If Brian identified weaknesses he should've schemed to his strengths. But he didn't. He ran a skinny kid into a wall like his name was Weisman. He let a statue stand in the pocket and get shaken. Nothing prevented Brian from experimenting with different schemes and different players. He's just like his father: "We do what we do and don't focus on other teams' weaknesses or our strengths. And we sure as heck don't try and catch people off guard. That would be cheating."
smh

Reactions: badger-007
At Ohio State THEY don't need to develop players because they get all-americans who don't need development.
lol

The excuses are pathetic and predictable. If Brian identified weaknesses he should've schemed to his strengths. But he didn't. He ran a skinny kid into a wall like his name was Weisman. He let a statue stand in the pocket and get shaken. Nothing prevented Brian from experimenting with different schemes and different players. He's just like his father: "We do what we do and don't focus on other teams' weaknesses or our strengths. And we sure as heck don't try and catch people off guard. That would be cheating."
smh
Brian most certainly went outside the normal Iowa box.
It may not have been enough for you or I but he did and most of it worked pretty well.
I think he learned some things this year and we'll see more next year.
Your bittner attitude towards the coaches is lame, old and flat out a misrepresentation of the truth.

Reactions: Rocket98
lol

smh
That wasn’t an excuse. Where are you getting that from? Like I said, unfortunately two players had never played a down. That is Iowa’s fault for missing on the tackles position for a couple of classes.

Advice to others posters. Never click on show ignored posts. You end up reading stuff posted by jackasses like Bittner, who I must have wisely ignored at some point.

Hey Bittner. Can you please tell me where you got this quote?

He's just like his father: "We do what we do and don't focus on other teams' weaknesses or our strengths. And we sure as heck don't try and catch people off guard. That would be cheating."

When putting together a line-up right now, in early January we tend to forget one reality in college football: injuries.

I like the safety situation where we have 3 guys that can and have started. One of them will probably get injured during the year so it would be nice to have 3 capable guys.

At the beginning of 2017 we assumed the OLine would have 2 3-year starters at tackle. Didn’t really work out that way.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
We absolutely have the talent. OL play does need to take a step forward and one thing that will help that is the coaches confidence in Stanley. Our coaching game play was never to put the game in our sophomore qb's hands. We wanted to impose the will of our offensive line and teams knew it. I also love Wadley and what he brought to the table but I do think Toren Young and Ivory Kelly-Martin are fits for our game plan. Losing Daniels will be some big shoes to fill but I think Iowa does it next year well. Offense will be improved.
Defensively, LB will be to toughest spot to fill. The good news here is we will be doing it with upperclassman (more than likely). We have plenty of LBs who have been waiting in the wings for 3-4 years. I do not see this position taking a step forward this year, but with a proven DL and several returning DBs as long as our LBs are serviceable we will win a lot of games.
Special Teams will be were we win or lose games. Kick off should be good. Kick return should be good. Punt return and Punt will need to take the biggest step forward next year. We gave up field position way too many times last year because of our inability to field punts. As bad as punt return was, punting was worse.
In conclusion, we have the talent to make a serious run next year, but our special teams needs to drastically improve!

Last edited:
9 wins minimum.

I don't give a f*** if you have to go pull 22 all star football players from Iowa City Regina's 6th grade school team. I don't give a f*** who you put on the field.

9 wins minimum.

Should we be concerned as Chad Leistikow of the Register?

1. Chad Leistikow‏Verified account@ChadLeistikow Jan 5

I think the loss of James Daniels tempers expectations for the 2018 Hawkeyes. OL now a serious concern, along with LBs. Plus, notable inexperience at skill positions on offense (RB, WR) & defense (CB).
In 2015, Myers and Boettger were first year starting OTs. Welsh was solid in '14 as a RS FS .... but missed spring camp due to depression ... and it wasn't at all clear what we would be able to expect from him as a SO. We had precious few who had experience to help give us much faith in our depth.

As we enter '18, we will benefit from 3 returning starters and a 4th guy (Reynolds) who the coaches seem to view as a co-starter. Also, we have at least a few other guys who seem slated to return (Paulsen and Ferguson) and who have some game experience.

Obviously the OL would have been much better off had Daniels stuck around. But that doesn't mean that the OL cannot still develop into a pretty good unit. Frankly, if guys on the OL can remain pretty healthy ... I'm upbeat about the group.

The WR situation is already worlds better than where it was at the same juncture last year. How many scolarship guys did we have on the roster who were healthy for last spring camp? Fast forward to this spring .... and there will be plenty of guys in the room. Look even further to June .... and we're looking at an even more competition to drive the WRs forward. More importantly, Copeland is no longer a new face on the coaching staff. He will have even more time to meld minds with O'Keefe and Brian ... and that will only help to improve the cohesion of our still-developing passing game.

We got a flavor of what to expect in the running game ... from what I've seen ... I'm pretty excited about who we have (and the breadth of their respective skill sets).

As for CB .... the overall experience of the group has definitely taken steps forward. A few years ago Ferentz mentioned how Phil is the absolute best DB coach he's been around. That comment was devoid of any hyperbole. If a guy isn't demonstrating the focus, effort, and attention to detail that Phil expects of his guys ... Phil will let another guy have a chance. More often than not ... we end up seeing high-level DB play as a result. Given that the staff has appeared to be pretty pro-active about CB recruiting .... I expect that we'll ultimately be okay at the position.

Right now, the only high-level of concern I have relates to our LBs. However, even then, I trust that we have the requisite raw talent on the roster. The only concern relates to getting the talent to play fast .... and hopefully with enough consistency.

Kirk has already said Nixon will be in the rotation, and would have been this year. That’s high praise from Kirk. I’m putting it out there that he will beat out Lattimore at DT by the end of the year, possibly at the start.
Nelson, Nelson, Nixon, Espenesa
Looks pretty darned good as a D-line, with real experience backing them up.
C. Lattimore really came on the last 1/3 of the season. Doesn’t really make any difference who starts. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 4-6 players at DT getting reps. A lot of situational combinations in the War Chest.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
Kirk has already said Nixon will be in the rotation, and would have been this year. That’s high praise from Kirk. I’m putting it out there that he will beat out Lattimore at DT by the end of the year, possibly at the start.
Nelson, Nelson, Nixon, Espenesa
Looks pretty darned good as a D-line, with real experience backing them up.
Usually a DT candidate requires physical development ... Nixon already has pretty nice size. At least on tape, Nixon looks like an even more explosive version of Jaleel ... maybe with not quite the power (yet ... we'll see what Doyle can do with him).

Kirk is on record saying that he hopes that Nixon can enter the rotation at DT. There are several reasons why he might hope that ...
  • It could drive the competition forward
  • It adds a little more "beef" on the DL
  • Given that we have 2 other DTs, Linderbaum and Shannon, in the recruiting class ... it would be nice to make sure that the DT situation has some staggering with the personnel in terms of eligibility.
I've probably stated this before ... but Iowa's 2-gap system requires a lot of football-knowledge to be executed at a very high level. Thus, while Nixon likely can give us some nice snaps ... at least situational ones ... I would be absolutely shocked if he can pull off being a starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT