ADVERTISEMENT

Your 2018 Starters! Do we have what it takes to win the West?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The entire discussion is here: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ecting-iowa-football-starters-2018/986974001/

SUMMARY: 2018 projected starting lineup

Offense

SE — Ihmir Smith-Marsette (soph.): Wide receiver will continue to be a question mark that it was in 2017 for the Hawkeyes. Smith-Marsette, though, clearly showed promise by launching himself into the rotation from the get-go as a true freshman.

TE — Noah Fant (jr.): Enjoyed a breakout season in his first year as a starter, showing a combination of size and speed that burned the linebackers and safeties who tried to cover him. The Omaha native wound up with 11 touchdown receptions, tops in the Big Ten.

LT — Tristan Wirfs (soph.): One of the many young players thrust into action this year, Wirfs ended up becoming the first true freshman in the Kirk Ferentz era to be a starting tackle.

LG — Ross Reynolds (sr.): Though he only made one start (in the season opener against Wyoming), the Waukee native was essentially a half-time starter in a rotation here with Keegan Render.

C — James Daniels (sr.): If he doesn't turn pro early, Daniels (an athletic 6-4, 295) will enter 2018 as one of the top centers in college football. He won't turn 21 until September, yet has already amassed 25 career starts. If he does choose to leave, redshirt sophomores Cole Banwart and Spencer Williams could be vying for this crucial spot.

RG — Keegan Render (sr.): Considering he has 20 career starts (19 at guard), he almost certainly will be somewhere inside on Iowa's 2018 offensive line.

RT — Alaric Jackson (soph.): Started 12 games at left tackle before being suspended for the bowl game for undisclosed reasons. At 6-7, 320, he should only get better.

TE — T.J. Hockenson (soph.): Became a clutch, crucial piece to offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz’s two-tight end offense as a redshirt freshman. Seventeen of his 24 receptions went for first downs, and he also showed excellent blocking skills that will only get better.

WR — Nick Easley (sr.): The walk-on from Newton became Iowa’s leading receiver in 2017 and should be on scholarship soon.

QB — Nate Stanley (jr.): Undoubtedly Iowa’s quarterback for the next two years after a strong true-sophomore season that saw him throw for 2,437 yards, 26 touchdowns and only six interceptions.

FB — Brady Ross (jr.): The fullback position isn’t going away at Iowa, and with Drake Kulick’s eligibility expired, Ross’ role will increase.

RB — Toren Young (soph.): With Akrum Wadley and James Butler moving on, the running-back position at Iowa gets a lot younger. The role will likely be shared, but Young has the size (5-11, 220) and durability to rack up the team’s most carries. Ivory Kelly-Martin could become the primary third-down back after an impressive true-freshman season. Incoming freshman Henry Geil might also play immediately.

PK — Miguel Recinos (sr.): Newly placed on scholarship, Recinos had an impressive first season as Iowa’s full-time placekicker, making 55 of his 57 total attempts. After beating out incumbent Keith Duncan for the role, the Mason City native was particularly solid on kickoffs. His emergence allowed Duncan to redshirt and preserve three years of eligibility.

Defense

LE — Anthony Nelson (jr.): The 6-foot-7, 260-pounder from Waukee was Iowa’s best edge rusher, and he keeps getting better. Nelson’s backup, Sam Brincks, played well this fall and will be in the rotation, too.

LT — Matt Nelson (sr.): Seemed to gain traction toward the end of his first season as 6-foot-8 defensive tackle after spending his first two playing seasons at defensive end. Replacing the gritty work of Nathan Bazata (37 career starts) will be difficult.

RT — Cedrick Lattimore (jr.): Needs to take a big step from his sophomore to junior year, as many Iowa defensive tackles in years past have done. Think Louis Trinca-Pasat. Incoming junior-college transfer Daviyon Nixon will compete for playing time, too.

RE — A.J. Epenesa (soph.): Putting the true sophomore here is no slight against Parker Hesse, who made his 34rd career start Wednesday and is a team leader. But it’s going to be hard to keep Epenesa out of the starting lineup after his first winter and spring with Chris Doyle.

WLB — Aaron Mends (sr.): “Where’s Mends?” has been a frequent question over the years. The supremely strong, fast player needs to improve on the mental side of the game. The prediction here is he puts it together for his fifth year, much like Cole Fisher did for Iowa in 2015.

MLB — Kristian Welch (jr.): Replacing Josey Jewell will be an impossible task, but somebody’s got to do it. Welch seems to have the inside track over Jack Hockaday and Amani Jones (who will also battle Mends at weak-side linebacker) at this point, though this will likely be an ongoing story that could spill into the season. Iowa has to get this one right.

OLB — Jake Gervase (sr.): Going out on a limb here, but when Phil Parker mentioned he might move a safety into this role in 2018, it would make sense if Gervase is that guy. If he can add five pounds to get to 6-1, 215, he could be the hybrid cover guy and run stopper that the Hawkeyes need as three-year starter Ben Niemann moves on. Also watch for Nick Niemann, Ben’s brother and a sophomore-to-be, to get a shot here.

LC — Manny Rugamba (jr.): The assumption here is that junior all-American Josh Jackson turns pro. Rugamba had a wobbly sophomore campaign. He was suspended for the season opener, then later lost his starting job after struggling against Purdue. Still, he has loads of talent and should be able to rebound.

SS — Amani Hooker (jr.): Became one of Iowa’s most impactful players in his true sophomore year, down to the finish when he made two touchdown-saving tackles against Boston College.

FS — Brandon Snyder (sr.): This will be an interesting story to follow. Snyder is recovering from his second ACL tear and also must work his way back into good standing after his December OWI arrest.

RC — Matt Hankins (soph.): Got his chance late in the year and ran with it; made seven tackles in the Pinstripe Bowl. Iowa has recruited a lot of defensive backs in the last two cycles as it tries to bolster its secondary, so the competition will be crowded.

P — Ryan Gersonde (soph.): A major weakness in 2017. Gersonde, who is on scholarship, got his chance midway through the season and showed a booming leg but wild inconsistency before an injury sidelined him down the stretch.

I think Gervase at LB could work, especially is passing situations. Athletically its probably a better fit for him. That said, I won't be surprised to see Nieman replace his brother here.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Gervase at lb in passing situations is intriguing, I am not sure he has the size and strength to be an every down lb. I think playing regularly 4-5 guys at the lb position would be a good way to gain experience and utilize each of their strengths (Wisconsin does his effectively).

Fran, pretty accurate but I see a couple positions different.

LG - Render
RG- Le. Paulson
IMO - Easley eventually gets beat out by one the younger guys.

DE’s - Eppy, Hesse
DT - The Nelson’s w/ Lattimore 1st off the bench. Anthony N. puts on 10-15 lbs. and moves inside.
Gervase at LB - no way. Probably Niemann or Jones
Here’s the one I see being the strech - Snyder is for all practical purposes done a FS. Not because of the owi bc of the knee.
FS - Stone or Gervase

If any one particular safety is moved to LB it will be Hooker. Didn’t PP already hint at this?
He hinted at a safety, but don’t think he named any names. I could be wrong, but I think it was/is pure conjecture at this point by whom ever is reporting it.

Reactions: Uihawks111
Yeah, parker mentioned Hooker maybe playing LB on passing downs or against certain teams that pass more. He is the best coverage guy of the safeties. And not sure what people's problem with Gervase is. He was pretty good last few games of the season and in the bowl game.

Same odds on Hesse going to the 2nd team. Odd man out of the top 5 is Lattimore. Maybe Hesse goes inside.
The way they rotated the line this year I don't know how much it matters who gets the start, but AJ is going to be tough to keep out, and I don't think Hesse replaces A. Nelson, so I see Hesse going to the second team. Of course, Hesse may get the start based on seniority, and Kirk seems to be pretty loyal, either way, Hesse's play amount will get cut to get AJ on the field more. I could also see AJ moving to DT on obvious passing downs to get the best pass rushers on the field accross the line. It's nice we have the depth to have this discussion though.

Yeah, parker mentioned Hooker maybe playing LB on passing downs or against certain teams that pass more. He is the best coverage guy of the safeties. And not sure what people's problem with Gervase is. He was pretty good last few games of the season and in the bowl game.

Gervase reminded me a lot of Snyder last year. Rough start, but by the end of the season he was frequently in the right position. He's begun to avoid some of the open field tackling whiffs from early in the season.

Honestly, some people forget how big a deal experience is when playing big time football

I think Snyder is a lock if Neimann's OLB position is transitioned to more of a hybrid SS/LB. He's already listed at 214 and may not have the speed after the injury although the Illini may disagree.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Don't forget Golston,, Reiff or Nixon at DT. Loaded.

I thought the same thing.... that Gholston really shows a burst in the pass rush game. Would enjoy seeing what he could do in obvious pass rush situations.

Fran, pretty accurate but I see a couple positions different.

LG - Render
RG- Le. Paulson
IMO - Easley eventually gets beat out by one the younger guys.

DE’s - Eppy, Hesse
DT - The Nelson’s w/ Lattimore 1st off the bench. Anthony N. puts on 10-15 lbs. and moves inside.
Gervase at LB - no way. Probably Niemann or Jones
Here’s the one I see being the strech - Snyder is for all practical purposes done a FS. Not because of the owi bc of the knee.
FS - Stone or Gervase
I'm pretty sure you're going to see A. Nelson playing DE on Sundays.

Kirk has already said Nixon will be in the rotation, and would have been this year. That’s high praise from Kirk. I’m putting it out there that he will beat out Lattimore at DT by the end of the year, possibly at the start.
Nelson, Nelson, Nixon, Espenesa
Looks pretty darned good as a D-line, with real experience backing them up.

Kirk has already said Nixon will be in the rotation, and would have been this year. That’s high praise from Kirk. I’m putting it out there that he will beat out Lattimore at DT by the end of the year, possibly at the start.
Nelson, Nelson, Nixon, Espenesa
Looks pretty darned good as a D-line, with real experience backing them up.
Excited about Nixon. But many of our interior lineman had breakout years their junior seasons, JJ being the latest. Hope Ced is next.

Snyder still scares me. He never wraps up. He always launches and it doesn't always lead to tackles.

I have said for a long time, in my opinion, Stone and Hooker should be the guys. Athletic, good tacklers (stone on special teams to back limited playing time) and have speed.

Excited about Nixon. But many of our interior lineman had breakout years their junior seasons, JJ being the latest. Hope Ced is next.
Iowa will have 8 guys rotating on the DL and there will be no drop off on the rotations. I love the way they were so often fresh and causing trouble at key times.

Snyder still scares me. He never wraps up. He always launches and it doesn't always lead to tackles.

I have said for a long time, in my opinion, Stone and Hooker should be the guys. Athletic, good tacklers (stone on special teams to back limited playing time) and have speed.
He's been better than #19 at that. Way too early to think he's jumping in at an LB position. Honestly I think PP is simply planning on using the hybrid LB in passing situations and against full spread teams. The rest of the time they will be conventional 4 3 4

Reactions: David1979
He's been better than #19 at that. Way too early to think he's jumping in at an LB position. Honestly I think PP is simply planning on using the hybrid LB in passing situations and against full spread teams. The rest of the time they will be conventional 4 3 4

Oh, he's better than Taylor at a lot of things, including tackling. I'm just like what I saw from Stone and really Hooker.

Love Taylor, Gervase, and Snyder but I just think the other 2 dudes are better.

He will be beat out at wr eventually. No offense to the kid but he’s a kid playing only bc of Iowa’s lack of recruiting at that pos. the prior 3 years.
The kid is average and slow and has dropped a ball or two. He is not set in stone but believe what you want. I know you’ve got all the answers.

Smith, Marchese, Cooper, Tracy, Evans, Lockett.

He will be beat out at wr eventually. No offense to the kid but he’s a kid playing only bc of Iowa’s lack of recruiting at that pos. the prior 3 years.
The kid is average and slow and has dropped a ball or two. He is not set in stone but believe what you want. I know you’ve got all the answers.

Smith, Marchese, Cooper, Tracy, Evans, Lockett.

If you don't believe me then believe the offensive coordinator when he says Easley is the one guy who will go across the middle and make the catch in traffic. Sure he dropped a few balls as do most receivers with 50 receptions. The guys you cited as in line to pass him not only dropped balls but fumbled in critical spots. BF came from the Patriots system which relied on small possession receivers going over the middle.

A lot of people made the same criticism of Riley McCaron and he became CJ's safety blanket.

Easley has better odds of finishing in the top 10 Iowa receptions than getting beat out of the lineup.

Plus this must be your first Iowa season. What past action would lead you to believe KF will bench his most experienced player especially one that wasn't a liability?

Last edited:
If you don't believe me then believe the offensive coordinator when he says Easley is the one guy who will go across the middle and make the catch in traffic. Sure he dropped a few balls as do most receivers with 50 receptions. The guys you cited as in line to pass him not only dropped balls but fumbled in critical spots. BF came from the Patriots system which relied on small possession receivers going over the middle.

A lot of people made the same criticism of Riley McCaron and he became CJ's safety blanket.

Easley has better odds of finishing in the top 10 Iowa receptions than getting beat out of the lineup.

Plus this must be your first Iowa season. What past action would lead you to believe KF will bench his most experienced player especially one that wasn't a liability?

LMFAO!

Here is probably the situation that Phil Parker "sees" .... he is pretty loaded with safeties whom have played and with whom he trusts. Thus, he'll ideally want to find playing time for them. However, unlike what some fans seem to think .... I highly doubt that he shifts the safeties over as full-time OLBs. Rather, he'll just "package" the safeties in nickel package to essentially play the role that our LEO plays against pass-oriented teams.

Why would Phil do that?

Well, it would put less on the plate of our new OLB ... that way the learning curve wouldn't quite be so steep for the new guy there. That way the new OLB could probably play faster and be more productive in the snaps that he does see. You have to remember that our top 2 LEOs are graduating .... and our depth at the 2 ILB spots seems quite a bit more solid (2 JRs and 2 SRs will be vying for the top 2 ILB spots ... and Colbert may find his way into that competition too!).

Thus, the suggested use of safeties in a packaged capacity kills 2 birds with 1 stone. It allows him to get more players on the field who trusts ... AND it likely will help the new LEO to play a little faster (at the expense of reducing his responsibilities).

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime

Agreed. No way is Easley not starting as long as he's healthy.

No predictions on starters I will just say this...

Gervase had some very good moments and he'll be one of those players that ends up way faster than everybody assumed.

Easley also will be a player who times better than people think he will.

And like others have already said I don't know that it matters who starts but Parker Hesse had a hell of a year and I will be literally shocked if he doesn't get drafted next year. So if he goes to the bench to start the game that will be truly remarkable and indicative of how much talent that D-line has.

As for Anthony Nelson he is a superstar and I would also be shocked if he moved inside full-time. AJ has big-time upside but I'm not sure he has more than a 6-7 likely to be 270+ pound defensive end with a ton of athleticism and a huge motor!

His length & speed is hard to account for and with natural improvement I won't be surprised to see him be a first round draft pick.

At safety Hooker to me looks like a starter but the other three guys, assuming good health are above average Big 10 safeties.

I've also read that Neimanns younger brother is even faster and more athletic than Ben & that is saying a ton because I think Ben will test off the charts in all the speed drills.

I also would think there would be a spot at linebacker for a Amani Jones who is an absolute thumper. And Jack Hockaday has had some decent moments himself. and Jack Hockaday has had some decent moments himself. Injuries have held him back.

Reactions: rivercityjazzman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT