ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite bands that you think most people haven't heard of...

RunRonnieRun

HR All-American
Aug 23, 2007
Not necessarily bands that are totally unknown, but rather they tend to fly under the radar, appeal to niche audiences, or have found themselves mired in primarily regional popularity.

My biggest one is probably Drive-By Truckers. I think they're well known in the South, slightly less known in the rest of the country, and have built a solid career and following without becoming a band that everyone knows.

The Statler Brothers. Hate country music, but love them. They were big time in the '70's, so maybe more people know about them than I think. I'm guessing the younger generation doesn't know them.

Reactions: WisestIowan
Another one that was kind of a local phenomenon was Mathew Sweet from Lincoln. Had some hits but never broke through all the way.

To me he's a one hit wonder, but Girlfriend is definitely one of my favorite songs. Great song, it's an amazingly timeless song as far as its sound, that would have fit in many other eras.

Todd Snider has avoided the kind of fame I think he deserves, despite his early 90s hit "Alright Guy."

Jupiter Coyote has recently reemerged in the Southeast. The first time I saw Zac Brown he was opening for them at some tiny ass bar in Buckhead; now the guys from Jupiter Coyote probably all have day jobs.

Keller Williams (not the real estate guy) is an incredible musician who's never broken out of the hippie festival circuit.

I'm out of the loop, but back in the day these were the best under the radar bands -

The Siegel Schwall Band out of Chicago. [I saw them open up for Steve Winwood and Traffic. They blew them off the stage]
Sons of Champlin out of San Francisco.
Sir Douglas Quintet from Texas.
The Blues Project. Al Kooper and Steve Katz (Blood, Sweat and Tears)

Hawkwind. Weird, drug-addled psychedelic space rock with nude women on stage and great visuals. Lemmy Kilmister was an original member.

Strawbs--have a long history of great albums, but only one hit (Part of the Union); Hudson-Ford, a spinoff from the band, also was cool.

Gentle Giant, The Sutherland Bros. and Quiver, McKendree Spring (God, I wish their 3rd album was on CD or downloads), Trio, Nazareth, et. al.

I'm out of the loop, but back in the day these were the best under the radar bands -

The Siegel Schwall Band out of Chicago. [I saw them open up for Steve Winwood and Traffic. They blew them off the stage]

All excellent choices as well. I left off Rory Gallagher; he opened for Robin Trower once and blew him off the stage.

My favorites that a lot of people don't know...

Social Distortion
The Stooges
Guadalcanal Diary
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Rancid

Here's where I think perception is interesting. I'd put forth that damn near EVERYONE who was alive and aware of music in the 90s knows Rancid, and Social Distortion and The Stooges are practically hall of famers.

The Statler Brothers. Hate country music, but love them. They were big time in the '70's, so maybe more people know about them than I think. I'm guessing the younger generation doesn't know them.

Memorable appearance on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack, with Flowers on the Wall. That's probably their only crossover hit, right? Fantastic song, loved it when I was a little kid, was thrilled to hear it in the movie when it came out.

Reactions: Parker D
This wouldn't be under the radar for the FSU people on this board, but I'd say Drivin N Cryin. They've been pretty popular in the south, but I think they only broke nationally with a one or two radio hits in the 90s, mainly Build A Fire.

I've seen them a couple times in Atlanta in recent years, still draw a great crowd and rock the shit out of the place. Really great band that should have been bigger than a flash in the pan nationally.

Todd Snider has avoided the kind of fame I think he deserves, despite his early 90s hit "Alright Guy."

Jupiter Coyote has recently reemerged in the Southeast. The first time I saw Zac Brown he was opening for them at some tiny ass bar in Buckhead; now the guys from Jupiter Coyote probably all have day jobs.

Keller Williams (not the real estate guy) is an incredible musician who's never broken out of the hippie festival circuit.

Keller is fantastic. Caught a show last fall at the Spirit of the Suwannee that was him and the Hillbenders doing nothing but Tom Petty songs, but in bluegrass style. It was outstanding.

A few of my choices:
Railroad Earth
Blackberry Smoke
New Orleans Suspects
JJ Grey & MoFro

Keller is fantastic. Caught a show last fall at the Spirit of the Suwannee that was him and the Hillbenders doing nothing but Tom Petty songs, but in bluegrass style. It was outstanding.

A few of my choices:
Railroad Earth
Blackberry Smoke
New Orleans Suspects
JJ Grey & MoFro

His Pettygrass shows were DOPE. I've never seen a bad -- or even lackluster -- Keller show.

I listen to a lot of Indie music. I think most of the bands I like probably fly under the radar, but three of my current favorites, that probably not many have heard of, are:

• Frightened Rabbit
  • Manchester Orchestra
  • Darlingside
I'm also very anxiously awaiting this guy's first full-length album.

So far he's only got 3 songs out, period. This one (above) is absolutely fantastic, IMO. Also, he's gotta have one of the most interesting stories of any singer/musician that I can recall.

"There aren’t a lot of artists with a story as unique and fascinating as that of rock musician Silicone Boone. Today he hails from Campbellsville, KY but he grew up in an Old Order Amish family. For those that aren’t aware of the sub-groups of the Amish, Old Order is the most traditional of the religious group, completely shunning the outside world. Today, we’re so excited to announce Silicone Boone’s first LP, a collection of songs called The Reaches. He’ll be releasing that album on November 8, 2019.

Silicone Boone grew up with no knowledge of the outside world and even when his family did leave the Amish for an isolated cabin in the remote Eastern Kentucky, he wasn’t allowed to listen to rock or pop music. Like an athlete that discovers a sport as a young adult only to suddenly and unexpectedly dominate, Silicone Boone’s lack of a rock ‘n roll upbringing didn’t stop him from excelling in the genre. This is the kind of release that grabs your attention from the opening notes and doesn’t let go. When he was able to explore the modern world, Silicone Boone discovered the writing of Carl Sagan, specifically his book Pale Blue Dot, which is a major source of thematic inspiration for the nine songs on The Reaches."

My older brother had a Siegel Schwall vinyl or two, but can’t say I really remember their music.

Read Al Kooper’s book, it is very interesting. I refer to him as the Forest Gump of the music business. If there was a big story in the 70’s Al Kooper was in the background.

He was a janitor at the recording studio where Bob Dylan was recording Like a Rolling Stone. He ends up playing the organ on the song.

He was hanging out with George Harrison at his house the day John Lennon was shot.

Lots of great stories like that.

Reactions: pablow
The drummer from Phosphorescent was a good childhood friend of mine. We grew up on the same street.

Great list. As a Deer Tick fan, what are your thoughts on Diamond Rugs?

I like them a lot. Their stuff is a little more hit and miss with me than Deer Tick, or even Middle Brother, but I have to admit I just like what John does. I was pretty bummed when Crowell left the band. I've had a chance to talk to the guys in Deer Tick a handful of times over the years and it's been cool getting to know them and watch them grow creatively.

Randall Bramblett is based out of Athens, Ga. Great lyricist and works a mean sax.
Rory Block has been touring for decades out of upstate NY. She has a helluva voice.
Keb Mo has a bluesy, funky, rock band and great lyrics. I first knew of him years ago a when he played with another favorite of mine...
Papa John Creach was a master of the fiddle and a bit nasty with his songs.

Lots of great choices put forth in this thread.
BTW, many of these folks get airtime on our local public radio station that is available via streaming. Check out WNCW out of Spindale, NC., which is broadcast from a community college via www.wncw.org

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT