ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite bands that you think most people haven't heard of...

Lot of people don't appreciate how awesome My Bloody Valentine was. (in particular, check out their album Loveless)

To me he's a one hit wonder, but Girlfriend is definitely one of my favorite songs. Great song, it's an amazingly timeless song as far as its sound, that would have fit in many other eras.
The entire "Girlfriend" album is fantastic.

Lots to like in this thread. JJ Grey and Mofro, Gary Clark Jr.
And to those I will add:

The Clarks.

They are a Pittsburgh band well known in the tri-state area, but beyond Western PA, not so much.

I listen to a lot of Indie music. I think most of the bands I like probably fly under the radar, but three of my current favorites, that probably not many have heard of, are:

• Frightened Rabbit
  • Manchester Orchestra
  • Darlingside
I'm also very anxiously awaiting this guy's first full-length album.

So far he's only got 3 songs out, period. This one (above) is absolutely fantastic, IMO. Also, he's gotta have one of the most interesting stories of any singer/musician that I can recall.

"There aren’t a lot of artists with a story as unique and fascinating as that of rock musician Silicone Boone. Today he hails from Campbellsville, KY but he grew up in an Old Order Amish family. For those that aren’t aware of the sub-groups of the Amish, Old Order is the most traditional of the religious group, completely shunning the outside world. Today, we’re so excited to announce Silicone Boone’s first LP, a collection of songs called The Reaches. He’ll be releasing that album on November 8, 2019.

Silicone Boone grew up with no knowledge of the outside world and even when his family did leave the Amish for an isolated cabin in the remote Eastern Kentucky, he wasn’t allowed to listen to rock or pop music. Like an athlete that discovers a sport as a young adult only to suddenly and unexpectedly dominate, Silicone Boone’s lack of a rock ‘n roll upbringing didn’t stop him from excelling in the genre. This is the kind of release that grabs your attention from the opening notes and doesn’t let go. When he was able to explore the modern world, Silicone Boone discovered the writing of Carl Sagan, specifically his book Pale Blue Dot, which is a major source of thematic inspiration for the nine songs on The Reaches."

Super interesting. I can't wait to check him out.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Randall Bramblett is based out of Athens, Ga. Great lyricist and works a mean sax.
Rory Block has been touring for decades out of upstate NY. She has a helluva voice.
Keb Mo has a bluesy, funky, rock band and great lyrics. I first knew of him years ago a when he played with another favorite of mine...
Papa John Creach was a master of the fiddle and a bit nasty with his songs.

Lots of great choices put forth in this thread.
BTW, many of these folks get airtime on our local public radio station that is available via streaming. Check out WNCW out of Spindale, NC., which is broadcast from a community college via wncw.com
If you listen to WNCW, you may have heard of Michael Reno Harrell, and Robin Rogers (now deceased).

Reactions: billanole
Big Wreck...Canadian band. Discovered them in the late 1990's. Always liked Ian Thornley as a guitarist and songwriter.

"in loving memory of..." is one of my top 10 all time albums.

Probably their only true US hit...great tune.

My fav off of Grace Street

Nice instrumental off Grace Street

He can play just about any stringed instrument...off Pleasure and the Greed...

Very good live version of Look What I've Found off "in loving memory of"...

All Is Fair, off "Albatross"...great song

Here's where I think perception is interesting. I'd put forth that damn near EVERYONE who was alive and aware of music in the 90s knows Rancid, and Social Distortion and The Stooges are practically hall of famers.

Oh, I get it, but outside if HROT I don't know one person who knows who any of the bands I listed are.

Reactions: Project MKUltra
The Samples. Well known in the college band scene in the 90's. Sean Kelly still pumping out solid vocals but his / the band's song writing has gone down hill as of late, but their stuff in the 90's and early 2000's are gold.
Love me some Samples. My favorite under the radar song from that under the radar band is prophet of doom. The lyrics are so-so for me but the bass and melody are great, especially if you have a kick ass sub woofer. My favorite Samples songs in no particular order are: phrophet of doom, the hunt, indiana, nothing lasts for long (acoustical version), and who am I.

Reactions: noleclone2
Not necessarily bands that are totally unknown, but rather they tend to fly under the radar, appeal to niche audiences, or have found themselves mired in primarily regional popularity.

My biggest one is probably Drive-By Truckers. I think they're well known in the South, slightly less known in the rest of the country, and have built a solid career and following without becoming a band that everyone knows.

Don Caballero
Operators

A lot of my favorites in here already, but I will add:

-Houndmouth
-Khruangbin
-Fruit Bats
-Twin Limb
-Marcus King Band

Last edited:
Reactions: Jackie Treehorn
unnamed-(1).jpg

images

Not necessarily bands that are totally unknown, but rather they tend to fly under the radar, appeal to niche audiences, or have found themselves mired in primarily regional popularity.

My biggest one is probably Drive-By Truckers. I think they're well known in the South, slightly less known in the rest of the country, and have built a solid career and following without becoming a band that everyone knows.

My aunt’s husband was in this band in the 60s. The Fabulous Flippers.

The Harlem Shuffle

Drew Holcomb and the neighbors
The Tedeschi Trucks Band
Houndmouth
Rayland Baxter
The Wildfeathers
Nathaniel Rateliff and the night sweats
The lone bellows
The Head and the heart
Dawes
Amos Lee

Keller is fantastic. Caught a show last fall at the Spirit of the Suwannee that was him and the Hillbenders doing nothing but Tom Petty songs, but in bluegrass style. It was outstanding.

A few of my choices:
Railroad Earth
Blackberry Smoke
New Orleans Suspects
JJ Grey & MoFro

RRE is a badass band.

Reactions: SeaPA and dgordo
Lot of good ones here. I will add The Church. Some of the 40-60 crowd may have heard of them as a one hit wonder band for their 1988 Under the Milky Way top 20 hit but they have recoded dozens of albums from 1980 until present. Have cult following including me. Complex mixture of psychedelic jangle jam pop with two great guitarists and mystical Jim Morrison like singer best way to describe them.

Gear Daddies

"She's out of luck again" is different on the album......'she's f****d again'...

The Tedeschi Trucks Band
Amos Lee
2 good choices. I've seen Susan Tedeschi a few times. As a solo act and with Derek Trucks (who is her husband)

Ima go with
Government Mule (for you OILCHECKER)
Prism
Delbert McClinton
Keb Mo (although he's not exactly unheard of)

Reactions: billanole
Steel Wheels
Beach House (not that under the radar, I suppose)
The War and Treaty
Big Thief
Hiss Golden Messenger (he might also be less under the radar)
American Aquarium
Whiskey Folk Ramblers

edit - The War on Drugs...these guys are great

Last edited:
Greg Kihn Band

Roy Harper are a couple more.

Brinsley Schwartz

Bonzo Dog Band

Flamin' Groovies

Spooky Tooth

Humble Pie

The Man Band

Deke Leonard

2 good choices. I've seen Susan Tedeschi a few times. As a solo act and with Derek Trucks (who is her husband)

Ima go with
Government Mule (for you OILCHECKER)
Prism
Delbert McClinton
Keb Mo (although he's not exactly unheard of)
Delbert played a great gig in Asheville years ago. We already had a stack of his CDs and totally enjoyed the show.

Reactions: Hawk It Up
Delbert played a great gig in Asheville years ago. We already had a stack of his CDs and totally enjoyed the show.
He doesn't have a huge following, but they are loyal. I've seen him 5 times. In 5 different states. Iowa (probably the last show I saw at the Val Aire Ballroom), Neb, Colorado, Illinois, and Minnesota. And none of them were planned trips to see him, I just happened to be there the night of a show.

This wouldn't be under the radar for the FSU people on this board, but I'd say Drivin N Cryin. They've been pretty popular in the south, but I think they only broke nationally with a one or two radio hits in the 90s, mainly Build A Fire.

I've seen them a couple times in Atlanta in recent years, still draw a great crowd and rock the shit out of the place. Really great band that should have been bigger than a flash in the pan nationally.

a couple months ago Kevn Kinney hosted a benefit concert at the Fox with Drive By Truckers as headliners and “special guests” announced. Turns out the special guests were 3/4 of REM with Kevn on vocals. It was awesome.

Reactions: Nole Lou
a couple months ago Kevn Kinney hosted a benefit concert at the Fox with Drive By Truckers as headliners and “special guests” announced. Turns out the special guests were 3/4 of REM with Kevn on vocals. It was awesome.

Saw Drivin & Cryin open for REM at Palmer Auditorium back in the 80's. Saw Kevin Kinney solo in Austin during SXSW this year. Great show, but a weird looking dude.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT