ADVERTISEMENT

Your favorite sports team might be streaming on Amazon Prime soon

TJ8869

HR King
Dec 7, 2006
Amazon will partner with Diamond Sports as part of a restructuring agreement as the largest owner of regional sports networks looks to emerge from bankruptcy.

Diamond owns 18 networks under the Bally Sports banner. Those networks have the rights to 37 professional teams: 11 MLB, 15 NBA and 11 NHL.

Diamond Sports has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in the Southern District of Texas since it filed for protection last March. The company said in a late 2021 financial filing that it had debt of $8.67 billion.

The terms of the agreement were announced by Diamond Sports on Wednesday morning. Amazon had no comment. It remains subject to approval by the bankruptcy court.

The agreement with Diamond Sports' largest creditors allows it to emerge from bankruptcy, continue operations and prevents a total collapse of the regional sports network system where the NBA, NHL and MLB would have to step in to take over production and distribution of most of their teams.

Link

image.jpg
Mine is already on Apple TV, so I doubt it.

• Love
Reactions: auntie_fah
I would hate that. I record a lot of Wild games to watch later or the next day so I can skip commercials.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Amazon positioned nicely long term over Netflix.
I think Apple and Amazon are smart in diversifying with live sports, but Apple needs more content and Amazon needs more quality content. Not sure how Netflix fits in the long term without live sports.

I think Apple and Amazon are smart in diversifying with live sports, but Apple needs more content and Amazon needs more quality content. Not sure how Netflix fits in the long term without live sports.
Likely too late now but I think Apple should have bought Netflix about a decade ago.

Reactions: dgordo
Reactions: QChawks
Bally’s price point last year for brewers was 15 a month. Will be interesting to see if Amazon lowers or raises that.

I would hate that. I record a lot of Wild games to watch later or the next day so I can skip commercials.
This is really bad news for the Minnesota sports scene. Bally Sports North has been a huge sponsor of High School and other events all over the state. If Bally North gets absorbed by Amazon, and all you get on Amazon is the streamed games, what happens to the rest of the productions these RSN's put out?

Crap, Hockey Day Minnesota may be in its last year if they lost sponsorship and broadcasting. It' in Warroad this year. Maybe an opportunity for Midco and Midco Sports to expand further into Minnesota and pick up this event.

Hockey Day Minnesota

You can already get marquee as a streaming service.
I have a hard time justifying another streaming service when the Cubs will be out of the hunt by June. I already have Prime, just bundle it in that.

Peacock has Premier League, cycling and swimming. It's my favorite.

I got rid of Prime...I won't add it again

If Red Wings games move exclusively to amazon and are not included on espn+ like they are with Bally Sports detroit, im done with hockey and Ill get rid of my disney+ bundle subscription.

Give me one platform to watch at least 90% of the games.

Better yet, let me buy one teams season without blackouts

Its awesome to see how many hoops you have to go through to watch hockey in the united states compared to the rest of the world

https://www.nhl.com/info/how-to-watch-and-stream-nhl-games

My guess is Netflix has sports within a year or two.

If Red Wings games move exclusively to amazon and are not included on espn+ like they are with Bally Sports detroit, im done with hockey and Ill get rid of my disney+ bundle subscription.

Give me one platform to watch at least 90% of the games.

Better yet, let me buy one teams season without blackouts

Its awesome to see how many hoops you have to go through to watch hockey in the united states compared to the rest of the world

https://www.nhl.com/info/how-to-watch-and-stream-nhl-games
My understanding is that the NHL on ESPN+ is basically the old NHL Center Ice that ESPN paid to have the whole thing move there. I love it for that reason. We watch the NHL every night with the only team being blacked out is the Wild, which I get on BSN, and the games that are on TNT or the various game that might be on NHL Network, which are not that many.

Right now it is better than it has ever been for NHL fans to watch hockey and I hope Amazon does not screw this up.

The Royals wi be on Amazon which is great for me. I used to watch every game until Bally took over and it was decoding an ancient language to figure out how to watch them.

My understanding is that the NHL on ESPN+ is basically the old NHL Center Ice that ESPN paid to have the whole thing move there. I love it for that reason. We watch the NHL every night with the only team being blacked out is the Wild, which I get on BSN, and the games that are on TNT or the various game that might be on NHL Network, which are not that many.

Right now it is better than it has ever been for NHL fans to watch hockey and I hope Amazon does not screw this up.
I dont have live tv, but the games on TNT are on Max

I did subscribe to uzzu and that expires this april. I wont renew. Not sure if its worth the few red wing games that are either blacked out or on NHl network or premier league games that are on USA

If nhl keeps it available on whatever platform they use for their season pass or whatever, i dont care who takes over as long as they keep their local Bally sports detroit broadcast crew. Mickey Redmond is a goddamn treasure.

I kinda doubt this is going to "fix" MLB's insane blackout rules for Iowans any time soon.
I havent watched a single pitch of MLB the moment they exploited iowa for their field of dreams game, and still kept 6 teams blacked out

The Royals wi be on Amazon which is great for me. I used to watch every game until Bally took over and it was decoding an ancient language to figure out how to watch them.
U should pay extra for not having to watch Royals games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT