ADVERTISEMENT

Your first Iowa game.

Easthawk1062

All-Conference
Jun 28, 2021
Figured we could use a change of pace thread around here. What’s everyone’s first Iowa game? Mine was November 10 2007 vs Minnesota. Not a particular memorable game but Albert Young did pass Tavian Banks on the all time rushing yards list moving to 3rd overall and Iowa won. 21-16.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMDQvYjdmOWQ2YzMtMTE3MDQ4Ni5qcGVn.jpg

1989. Season opener against Oregon.

Artificial turf was removed in the off season and it was the first game back with natural grass.

Hawks wore black shoes.

Oregon crushed us 44-6.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Iowa vs. Miami 1992
I went with my Uncle, his father, and my brother. My parents had purchased season tickets that year for the first time, but couldn't attend. It was the first night game in Kinnick. I also remember it was after the big hurricane in Florida and there were warnings out to make sure if you donated to hurricane relief that it was an actual relief organization and not scammers. I remember seeing Hayden in person for the first time ever, and it was like being in the vicinity of a superhero. He just seemed more than human. I remember the swarm coming out of the tunnel and watching Danan Hughes during warmups. I've rewatched the game several times since then, but I can't say I remember much from the game that night. What I do remember is the feeling of awe. I was pretty young.

Figured we could use a change of pace thread around here. What’s everyone’s first Iowa game? Mine was November 10 2007 vs Minnesota. Not a particular memorable game but Albert Young did pass Tavian Banks on the all time rushing yards list moving to 3rd overall and Iowa won. 21-16.
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMDQvYjdmOWQ2YzMtMTE3MDQ4Ni5qcGVn.jpg
2003 Orange Bowl. Fun opening kick, not so much fun after that. Stayed the whole game though.

1973…Can’t remember who we played. I sold programs as a student and got a free ticket to the game. Sat on the grass in the Northeast End Zone area. 3 years latter I would be mowing that grass area and painting the numbers on the bleachers as I worked
at Kinnick as one of my many jobs I had at the University as part of my NIL package when I was a student at U of I. Might be a good new thread—- Jobs you had as a student to help pay for college expenses

1984 Michigan game at Kinnick. Iowa won 26-0 and watching a furious Bo Schembechler on the sideline and on the field was pretty glorious. Will never forget how fun it was to be part of the "Tastes Great!" "Less Filling!" fan chants, even though I don't think I knew what it even meant at the time.

September 25, 1971 - Penn State. Sat in the grass area in the corners of the end zone. Penn State featured Lydell Mitchell and some nobody named Franco Harris as running backs. And to think people bitch about the current Hawkeyes! ;)

Iowa VS Notre Dame, 1967-68.
Was 17-18. Classmate and I bought knothole tickets for a buck or two. Sat there for first quarter.
Then moved to the 40 yd line 15 rows up. Lots of seats back then.
First time I seen a fake lineman injury.

1981 Minnesota. Iowa lost 12-10, I think. I was only 6 years old at the time, but I remember crying because they lost. I believe it was a week after they beat Michigan.

Reactions: NI hawk
My freshman year 1981 win over #7 Cornsuckers followed up with win against #6 UCLA.
I know Hayden gets all the credit for the turnaround in Iowa football, but I like to think I had a small part in it.
During the good old days when you could celebrate with a bath in the fountain in front of the hospital. Then thousands of drunk fans walking through the hospital with their bodas.

Last edited:
1970 with my dad. I was pretty young and don't remember much about it, except that Levi Mitchell was the RB. I just looked up Mitchell's stats and see that he had 900 yards rushing that season. At the time, that was probably the second highest total in school history behind Ed Podolak. No one broke 1000 yards until Dennis Mosley in 1979.

Cannot recall the first one. But one of my most memorable games was going to the 1986 Holiday Bowl in San Diego and I got to meet Haden Fry. My brother in law was on the 1958 Hawkeye team and did photography work in his spare time for the Hawks and invited me to go.

Reactions: Easthawk1062
1957 or '58, my mom and dad took my brother and I to a game. I was only about 6 or 7, hardly knew the game, and we played NW or Minny, but cant quite remember. But I thought it was a great trip and fun to watch the play on the field and the people react and cheer. Been hooked ever since.

Reactions: iowaathletes
1963 first game of the season after the state mile team race, which we won. we were given tickets in the end zone. was against Washington State and ended in a tie. don’t remember the score.

1989. Season opener against Oregon.

Artificial turf was removed in the off season and it was the first game back with natural grass.

Hawks wore black shoes.

Oregon crushed us 44-6.

That was the first game my freshman year. I can still remember looking out my Slater Hall 9th floor window and seeing the tailgating. I also remember my floormates so pumped before the game, and so deflated afterwards.

Luckily, that wasn't my first game. That would come two weeks later when Iowa beat Tulsa 30-22.

October 24, 1964. Homecoming at Iowa Stadium. I was 9 years old. My grandfather was on the faculty so we had awesome seats.

Don't remember much about the game - Hawks lost 19-14.

But, I do remember a big dam drum!

Late 70s..Phil Suess was QB and we lost to Purdue.
was a boy scout and after the game we held a rope that surrounded the field

Reactions: qrtr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT