ADVERTISEMENT

Your Top 25 All-Time Hawkeyes MBB

LaQuintaHawkeye

HB Heisman
Dec 16, 2017
Outside of just picking your favorites, factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc.

Here are mine, I'd say the T20 are pretty solid and not much debate on those players outside of where you'd personally rank them within the T20 (example: Garza #1 instead of Lester?) ...

1. Ronnie Lester
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Greg Stokes John Johnson
  4. Don Nelson
  5. Herb Wilkinson Greg Stokes
  6. Charles Darling
  7. Sam Williams
  8. Keegan Murray
  9. Murray Wier
  10. Dick Ives Fred Brown
  11. Acie Earl
  12. Andre Woolridge
  13. Roy Marble Herb Wilkinson
  14. Fred Brown Dick Ives
  15. John Johnson Roy Marble
  16. Carl Cain
  17. Bill Logan
  18. Greg Brunner
  19. Bruce King
  20. B.J. Armstrong
  21. Jess Settles
  22. Dave Gunther
  23. Kevin Boyle
  24. Roy Devin Marble
  25. T - Aaron White / Chris Street
*Bold = 1st team AA

OTHERS for T25 consideration:
Kenny Arnold
Jordan Bohannon
Ryan Bowen
Matt Gatens
Adam Haluska
Jeff Horner
Ed Horton
Peter Jok
Kevin Kunnert
Kenyon Murray
Dean Oliver
Jarrod Uthoff

*Edited to add Kenny Arnold and Kenyon Murray to the OTHERS for Consideration list per discussion further down in the thread

*Second Edit moving Don Nelson to #4, Sam Williams to #7 and Roy Marble down to #13 per some compelling posts further down in this thread discussion

*Third Edit - was convinced to make several changes in the Top 15; see this
post for the discussion

Last edited:
My Top 25 list (NOTE: I had to see them play) - Go Hawks!
  1. Caitlin Clark
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Ronnie Lester
  4. Keegan Murray
  5. Roy Marble
  6. Ed Horton
  7. Greg Stokes
  8. B.J. Armstrong
  9. Andre Woolridge
  10. Chris Street
  11. Vince Brookins
  12. Megan Gustafson
  13. Kris Murray
  14. Jess Settles
  15. Michael Payne
  16. Brad Lohaus
  17. Jarod Uthoff
  18. Michelle Edwards
  19. Joe Weiskamp
  20. Acie Earl
  21. Roy Marble II
  22. Bobby Hansen
  23. Peter Jok
  24. Aaron White
  25. Jordan Bohannon

Last edited:
Outside of just picking your favorites, factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc.

Here are mine, I'd say the T20 are pretty solid and not much debate on those players outside of where you'd personally rank them within the T20 (example: Garza #1 instead of Lester?) ...

1. Ronnie Lester
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Greg Stokes
  4. Roy Marble
  5. Herb Wilkinson
  6. Charles Darling
  7. Don Nelson
  8. Keegan Murray
  9. Murray Wier
  10. Dick Ives
  11. Acie Earl
  12. Andre Woolridge
  13. Sam Williams
  14. Fred Brown
  15. John Johnson
  16. Carl Cain
  17. Bill Logan
  18. Greg Brunner
  19. Bruce King
  20. B.J. Armstrong
  21. Jess Settles
  22. Dave Gunther
  23. Kevin Boyle
  24. Roy Devin Marble
*Bold = 1st team AA

Jordan Bohannon
Ryan Bowen
Matt Gatens
Adam Haluska
Jeff Horner
Ed Horton
Peter Jok
Kevin Kunnert
Dean Oliver
Jarrod Uthoff

I'd keep Ronnie as #1 with Luka #2, Keegan #3, Johnson #4, Brown #5. That's your starting 5 IMO. Super Sam Williams as 6th man.

I can't speak to the old-timers prior to that but I'm sure they belong. I'd try to find a way to get Kunnert, Uthoff, and Haluska into the Top 25 if possible.

Good list OP.

Last edited:
You know who probably would’ve been more fondly remembered if not for Covid cancelling March Madness? Bakari Evelyn
Ya felt bad for him and other seniors from that class. That’s the class that should have been granted another Covid year to compete.

Woolridge was not better than Ronnie Lester.
I wasn’t old enough to remember Ronnie. But heard a lot of great stories.
Take it from a guy who has seen both play, as good as you think Andre was; Ronnie was quite a bit better.

Not a knock on Andre as he was exceptional, that's just how good Ronnie was. The best Hawk I've seen since 1968 (although I was a youngster so hard to be discerning at that age).

I'd keep Ronnie as #1 with Luka #2, Keegan #3, Johnson #4, Brown #5. That's your starting 5 IMO. Super Sam Williams as 6th man.

I can't speak to the old-timers prior to that but I'm sure they belong. I'd try to find a way to get Kunnert, Uthoff, and Haluska into the Top 25 if possible.

Good list OP.
That is a great starting 5 and 6th man, wow, they could do some damage.

And in today's world Super Sam at 6'3' is not playing the small forward position by a 1 or 2 spot

The OP has KeeganM at number 8 or is there another Murray, you mean Kenyon????
Yes, I meant Kenyon. Probably an oversight by the OP given some of the other names on the list (many of which I absolutely agree with).

As much as I loved watching him play, I would not make a "best of" list and include Greg Brunner and not include Kenyon Murray.

If you wanna slide Jess Settles down and keep Brunner in, fine whatever, but Kenyon deserves to be included as one of the 25 best, or certainly at the very least an HM in Hawkeye basketball history.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Roy Marble is way overrated. Roy Devyn Marble is underrated. Aaron White is top 10.
Iowa has been missing a player like Roy Marble since, well Roy Marble. When he started to develop his 3pt shot he was such an amazing player. I actually think he should be above Stokes.

Op has a great list but would have Haluska up way higher. If you include his numbers at ISU he is like #4 all time in scoring. If my memory is right he was also a very good defensive player as well.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Yes, I meant Kenyon. Probably an oversight by the OP given some of the other names on the list (many of which I absolutely agree with).

As much as I loved watching him play, I would not make a "best of" list and include Greg Brunner and not include Kenyon Murray.

If you wanna slide Jess Settles down and keep Brunner in, fine whatever, but Kenyon deserves to be included as one of the 25 best, or certainly at the very least an HM in Hawkeye basketball history.

First off ...totally respect your opinion - you've always been one of my favorite board contributors.

As clearly stated at the top of the OP: "Outside of just picking your favorites, factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc."

Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of Kenyon's too, just like I was a big fan of Bobby Hansen, Steve Carfino, Vince Brookins, James Moses, etc ...but none of them have the accolades/statistical credentials to back up their consideration on the Top 25 all-time list either.

Here is a comparison vs the three you mentioned:

Kenyon = No All-Conference selections, #3 on career steals list, #15 on career 1000 pts/500 rebs list

Settles = 1st Team All-Conference, Conference Frosh of the Year, 3x Hawkeyes MVP, #12 on career double-double list, #6 career 1000 pts/500 rebs list

Brunner = 1st Team All-Conference, 2x Hawkeyes MVP, Iowa's all-time rebounds leader, #5 on career double-double list, #8 career 1000 pts/500 rebs list

Again, I personally cannot put Kenyon above the other two...even though I may have liked watching him a little more. HOWEVER, I will add him to my OTHERS for Consideration list. :cool:

Op has a great list but would have Haluska up way higher. If you include his numbers at ISU he is like #4 all time in scoring. If my memory is right he was also a very good defensive player as well.

Thanks.

I could probably be convinced to replace Kevin Boyle with Adam at #23...but to be honest it was Jarrod Uthoff that I was originally debating throwing in that spot over Kevin. Jarrod was a consensus 2nd-team All-American after all. I really don't think we should include Adam's stats while playing for ISU. Afterall, this is a Hawkeyes All-Time list. It's hard to correlate exactly how he would have done had he been a Hawkeye from Day-1.

All three of them are worthy imo. 👍

My Top 25 list (NOTE: I had to see them play) - Go Hawks!
  1. Caitlin Clark
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Ronnie Lester
  4. Keegan Murray
  5. Roy Marble
  6. Ed Horton
  7. Greg Stokes
  8. B.J. Armstrong
  9. Andre Woolridge
  10. Vince Brookins
  11. Megan Gustafson
  12. Kris Murray
  13. Jess Settles
  14. Michael Payne
  15. Brad Lohaus
  16. Jarod Uthoff
  17. Michelle Edwards
  18. Joe Weiskamp
  19. Acie Earl
  20. Roy Marble II
  21. Bobby Hansen
  22. Peter Jok
  23. Aaron White
  24. Jordan Bohannon
Apparently, someone can't read.

• Haha
Iowa wins a national title if Lester doesn't get hurt against Louisville.

As to the OP's list, JBo is not in the conversation even as honorable mention.
Agree with the above from hawkfan0319, but even before his re-injury during the Louisville game Ronnie was still only at maybe 50% of his abilities prior to going down during the early season game at Dayton. To many of us old timers Ronnie was unguardable one on one and even a double team was not always enough. I can remember watching him spin away from a double team for an open shot, and when he was dribbling on the perimeter and decided to take a jump shot he was up instantly before a defender could react. There were many moves of quickness and beauty that Ronnie could and did do, and those memories still keep him at the top of the list for many of us senior citizens.

1. Ronnie Lester
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Greg Stokes
  4. Roy Marble
  5. Herb Wilkinson
  6. Charles Darling
  7. Don Nelson
  8. Keegan Murray
  9. Murray Wier
  10. Dick Ives
  11. Acie Earl
  12. Andre Woolridge
  13. Sam Williams
  14. Fred Brown
  15. John Johnson
  16. Carl Cain
  17. Bill Logan
  18. Greg Brunner
  19. Bruce King
  20. B.J. Armstrong
  21. Jess Settles
  22. Dave Gunther
  23. Kevin Boyle
  24. Roy Devin Marble
*Bold = 1st team AA

Kenny Arnold
Jordan Bohannon
Ryan Bowen
Matt Gatens
Adam Haluska
Jeff Horner
Ed Horton
Peter Jok
Kevin Kunnert
Kenyon Murray
Dean Oliver
Jarrod Uthoff

*Edited to add Kenny Arnold and Kenyon Murray to the OTHERS for Consideration list per discussion further down in the thread
Garza is too high. Williams and Nelson are too low.

B1G MVP (at that time selected by Chicago Tribune as I recall)
2nd Team All-American
3rd Team All-American
1st Team All-B1G

https://hof.hawkeyesports.com/inductees/sam-howard-williams/

Super Sam was that good...
Oh yes, they were not on tv much back then but when they were I almost always watched. Listened to many of the games. Of course, Ralph Miller had his coaches show on who-tv which I watched many times so I saw a lot of Super Sam's highlights. He was just a very smooth ball player and loved to drive the baseline as well as other great moves.

Reactions: skydog0784
He never played a game for the Hawkeyes, lol.
Hawkins played his freshman year at Iowa, so he could be considered the best to play for Iowa. Never eligible to play for varsity.
Don Nelson should probably be 1 or 2. Freshman not eligible to play his 1st year. Averaged 21 pts, 10 rebounds for his Iowa career. Played in the Big 10 against Jerry Lucas, Havlicek, Walt Bellamy and many other pro players. Played with pretty average players at Iowa, in fact, 4 starters were academically ineligible his senior year. 14 years playing in the NBA, with a lot of success and rings. (6-7)

Hawkins played his freshman year at Iowa, so he could be considered the best to play for Iowa. Never eligible to play for varsity.
Don Nelson should probably be 1 or 2. Freshman not eligible to play his 1st year. Averaged 21 pts, 10 rebounds for his Iowa career. Played in the Big 10 against Jerry Lucas, Havlicek, Walt Bellamy and many other pro players. Played with pretty average players at Iowa, in fact, 4 starters were academically ineligible his senior year. 14 years playing in the NBA, with a lot of success and rings. (6-7)
Sorry, no.

That's like trying to include JV stats/accomplishments as part of the varsity record book. As far as this list is concerned, sadly, he never actually played at Iowa. Not even with an asterisk.

Now Nelson I completely agree with you ...I could see him in the top four.

Reactions: danny14
Sorry, no.

That's like trying to include JV stats/accomplishments as part of the varsity record book. As far as this list is concerned, sadly, he never actually played at Iowa. Not even with an asterisk.

Now Nelson I completely agree with you ...I could see him in the top four.
You may be right about Hawkins, but he played in the American Basketball League, rival to the NBA, in what would have been his sophomore year. He was MVP of the league. The next 4 years he played for the Globetrotters, which I doubt any other Hawkeye could ever do. Just saying he did wear a Hawkeye uniform, at one time, and there was never anyone better to wear the uniform with Iowa printed on the front. Just playing Devil's advocate with you, LaQ! ;)

It's fun to see people's lists like this.

Of course, most of them are garbage because of recency bias, or only including players they saw play. Very few actually take the time to look at things in a historical perspective.

That being said, I take my hat off to the OP. He actually took the time and did the research to include players going back to the '40s. I may not agree with every player or the order, but it is probably the best list of it's type I have ever seen. Good job!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT