ADVERTISEMENT

Your Top 25 All-Time Hawkeyes MBB

Boyle would be one of the top 5 defenders on the list, but that not a requirement at Iowa!! ;)
Valentina Shevchenko Sport GIF by UFC
I remember Kevin mostly as the guy in the Jim Baine controversy.

Boyle was 3x All Conference - 1st Team ('81), 2nd Team ('80) and 3rd Team ('82).

And, yes, he was a helluva a defender.

More of a scrappy/utility guy. High energy and always gave 100%.

He definitely would've been a Chris Street Award recipient had it been around back then.

Boyle was 3x All Conference - 1st Team ('81), 2nd Team ('80) and 3rd Team ('82).

And, yes, he was a helluva a defender.

More of a scrappy/utility guy. High energy and always gave 100%.

He definitely would've been a Chris Street Award recipient had it been around back then.
Fitting, as he also wore #40.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Outside of just picking your favorites, factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc.

Here are mine, I'd say the T20 are pretty solid and not much debate on those players outside of where you'd personally rank them within the T20 (example: Garza #1 instead of Lester?) ...

1. Ronnie Lester
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Greg Stokes
  4. Don Nelson
  5. Herb Wilkinson
  6. Charles Darling
  7. Sam Williams
  8. Keegan Murray
  9. Murray Wier
  10. Dick Ives
  11. Acie Earl
  12. Andre Woolridge
  13. Roy Marble
  14. Fred Brown
  15. John Johnson
  16. Carl Cain
  17. Bill Logan
  18. Greg Brunner
  19. Bruce King
  20. B.J. Armstrong
  21. Jess Settles
  22. Dave Gunther
  23. Kevin Boyle
  24. Roy Devin Marble
  25. T - Aaron White / Chris Street
*Bold = 1st team AA

OTHERS for T25 consideration:
Kenny Arnold
Jordan Bohannon
Ryan Bowen
Matt Gatens
Adam Haluska
Jeff Horner
Ed Horton
Peter Jok
Kevin Kunnert
Kenyon Murray
Dean Oliver
Jarrod Uthoff

*Edited to add Kenny Arnold and Kenyon Murray to the OTHERS for Consideration list per discussion further down in the thread

*Second Edit moving Don Nelson to #4, Sam Williams to #7 and Roy Marble down to #13 per some compelling posts further down in this thread discussion
Bohannon has to be top 20. He was the starting point guard on the best teams in recent Iowa history

He was the reason I became an Iowa fan. When he went off late against Indiana I was at a travel tournament and was watching the game in a bar with my dad I realized that unathletic undersized players could succeed at a high level. He was an entertaining and impactful player on good Iowa teams. There is no reason he’s not on the list.

He was the reason I became an Iowa fan. When he went off late against Indiana I was at a travel tournament and was watching the game in a bar with my dad I realized that unathletic undersized players could succeed at a high level. He was an entertaining and impactful player on good Iowa teams. There is no reason he’s not on the list.
Please reread the OP...this list isn't about your favorite players growing up.

"factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc."

JBo is listed under 'others for consideration' primarily due to his statistical accomplishments. All-time leader in 3 pt FGs made, all-time leader in Assists, and one of the best FT shooters in program history.

Who on my list would you replace with JBo?

Agree with the above from hawkfan0319, but even before his re-injury during the Louisville game Ronnie was still only at maybe 50% of his abilities prior to going down during the early season game at Dayton. To many of us old timers Ronnie was unguardable one on one and even a double team was not always enough. I can remember watching him spin away from a double team for an open shot, and when he was dribbling on the perimeter and decided to take a jump shot he was up instantly before a defender could react. There were many moves of quickness and beauty that Ronnie could and did do, and those memories still keep him at the top of the list for many of us senior citizens.
I used to get upset when the youngsters tried to downgrade the likes of Sam Williams and Ronnie Lester, but then I remember that they never saw them in the flesh.

Ronnie Lester was without a doubt the greatest Hawkeye Men's Basketball player ever.

I used to get upset when the youngsters tried to downgrade the likes of Sam Williams and Ronnie Lester, but then I remember that they never saw them in the flesh.

Ronnie Lester was without a doubt the greatest Hawkeye Men's Basketball player ever.
Perspective is important in these types of conversations. And most fans/respondents of today’s HROT just don’t have the exposure. There was a lot of basketball played at UIowa long before Tom Davis and a lot of football played there before Hayden Fry.

Stokes is way too high — John Johnson is way too low (I’d rank JJ #2 behind Lester)
I appreciate you taking time to read and respond...just wish you'd provide a little more context on why you feel the way you do.

Are you saying you would swap Stokes and JJ on that list?

Could you maybe go ahead and post your own T25?

In no particular order:
FredBrown
John Johnson
Don Nelson
Luka Garza
Keagan Murray
Roy Marble
MurrayWeir
Carl Cain
Adam Haluska
Andre Woolridge
Ronnie Lester
Bill Logan
Kevin Kunnert
Greg Stokes
Connie Hawkins- even though never played a game for Iowa
Jordon Bohannon
BJ Armstrong
Sam Williams
Megan Gustafson
Caitlin Clark- save the best for last

In no particular order:
FredBrown
John Johnson
Don Nelson
Luka Garza
Keagan Murray
Roy Marble
MurrayWeir
Carl Cain
Adam Haluska
Andre Woolridge
Ronnie Lester
Bill Logan
Kevin Kunnert
Greg Stokes
Connie Hawkins- even though never played a game for Iowa
Jordon Bohannon
BJ Armstrong
Sam Williams
Megan Gustafson
Caitlin Clark- save the best for last
Thanks for providing your favorites. This thread subject is about MBB, so two of them don't count...I don't care how they identify...feel free to add two replacements. ;)

What is it exactly that makes Connie Hawkins one of the all-time Hawkeyes iyo?
His name doesn't appear in any of the all-time statistical categories.
He was never named All-American or All-Conference.
He wasn't part of championship team.

Also, you really need to put them in order...it's important for us to know exactly where you rank JBo compared to Ronnie.

Connie Hawkins is the best basketball player at Iowa that was enrolled, got railroaded, screwed, and never played a game at Iowa.

The NBA then blackballed him. Thank God for the Globetrotters and the ABA

Chris Street is the best basketball player at Iowa ever who died too young. I saw Chris at Cameron Indoor Stadium and witnessed Bobby Hurley blowing him a kiss as the game ended.

Ray Thompson is the best basketball player ever as an Iowa freshman who was screwed by Hunter Rawlings and not allowed to play in March 1989.

Acie Earl is my favorite awkward big man who worked his ass off and was not the best, blocked every shot, and played in the NBA for many years. Acie now teaches and coaches around town including at the Green State Family Field House

Ronnie, Roy, Ed Horton, Greg Stokes, Chris Street, Kenyon, Wiescamp, Cook, Garza and Caitlin

Mark Gannon, Iowa HS champion and a High School baller enjoyed playing pick-up games in the Field House, the armory, and those weird tartan surfaces under the same roof against college kids

Reactions: icwesthawk
Mark Gannon, Iowa HS champion and a High School baller enjoyed playing pick-up games in the Field House, the armory, and those weird tartan surfaces under the same roof against college kids
Gannon went to Regina and was quite a force. Playing tennis and basketball, on those rubber floors was something else.

Gannon went to Regina and was quite a force. Playing tennis and basketball, on those rubber floors was something else.
Mark was another forgotten force from back then. Along with that, he is alive and well and reportedly hangs out on the North Side around lunchtime at eating establishments during the week

Reactions: icwesthawk
Most of you are probably too young to have watched the 1970 season. John Johnson and 'Downtown' Freddie Brown were great. Probably top 5 players ever at Iowa. That team went undefeated in the B1G, I think averaged over 100 ppg in conference and lost to Jacksonville on a fluke end of game rebound/shot in the regional finals. Back then they had a third place play off game. Iowa scored 75 pts the FIRST HALF! Then 125 for the game (against ND). Both of them played in the NBA for 15 or 20 years. Outstanding players. By the way, Vidnovic was also on that team! Vidnovic averaged 17, Brown 18, Calabria 19 and Johnson 28!!!! What an exciting team.

Most of you are probably too young to have watched the 1970 season. John Johnson and 'Downtown' Freddie Brown were great. Probably top 5 players ever at Iowa. That team went undefeated in the B1G, I think averaged over 100 ppg in conference and lost to Jacksonville on a fluke end of game rebound/shot in the regional finals. Back then they had a third place play off game. Iowa scored 75 pts the FIRST HALF! Then 125 for the game (against ND). Both of them played in the NBA for 15 or 20 years. Outstanding players. By the way, Vidnovic was also on that team! Vidnovic averaged 17, Brown 18, Calabria 19 and Johnson 28!!!! What an exciting team.
Great comment.

It has convinced me to modify the OP rankings...

1. Ronnie Lester
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Greg StokesJohn Johnson
  4. Don Nelson
  5. Herb WilkinsonGreg Stokes
  6. Charles Darling
  7. Sam Williams
  8. Keegan Murray
  9. Murray Wier
  10. Dick IvesFred Brown
  11. Acie Earl
  12. Andre Woolridge
  13. Roy MarbleHerb Wilkinson
  14. Fred BrownDick Ives
  15. John JohnsonRoy Marble
  16. Carl Cain
  17. Bill Logan
  18. Greg Brunner
  19. Bruce King
  20. B.J. Armstrong
  21. Jess Settles
  22. Dave Gunther
  23. Kevin Boyle
  24. Roy Devin Marble

First off ...totally respect your opinion - you've always been one of my favorite board contributors.

As clearly stated at the top of the OP: "Outside of just picking your favorites, factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc."

Don't get me wrong, I was a big fan of Kenyon's too, just like I was a big fan of Bobby Hansen, Steve Carfino, Vince Brookins, James Moses, etc ...but none of them have the accolades/statistical credentials to back up their consideration on the Top 25 all-time list either.

Here is a comparison vs the three you mentioned:

Kenyon = No All-Conference selections, #3 on career steals list, #15 on career 1000 pts/500 rebs list

Settles = 1st Team All-Conference, Conference Frosh of the Year, 3x Hawkeyes MVP, #12 on career double-double list, #6 career 1000 pts/500 rebs list

Brunner = 1st Team All-Conference, 2x Hawkeyes MVP, Iowa's all-time rebounds leader, #5 on career double-double list, #8 career 1000 pts/500 rebs list

Again, I personally cannot put Kenyon above the other two...even though I may have liked watching him a little more. HOWEVER, I will add him to my OTHERS for Consideration list. :cool:
Well thought out post.....

I went to school with that team. As great as they were, none of them looked like elite basketball players. When they went on the road, I'm sure the opposing teams' crowds were confused by what they saw. After the tip-off, however, all hell broke loose. Must have been quite shocking.

Bohannon has to be top 20. He was the starting point guard on the best teams in recent Iowa history
That really has nothing to do with the OP's list, and Frankly JBO couldn't carry the jocks of most of the guards on the list unless its basically a game of horse. He's not in the same league as guys like Ronnie, Dre, Downtown Fred, or hell Dean Oliver. Jbo's stats are what they are because 1) he played almost 6 seasons, and 2), most importantly because Fran has a non stop neon GREEN light for his guards. It would also be worth figuring out how many points against the guy gave up, by being immune to the thought of playing defense, an affliction not shared with the others named....

Outside of just picking your favorites, factor in variables like All-American selections, All-Conference selections, all-time statistical rankings, etc.

Here are mine, I'd say the T20 are pretty solid and not much debate on those players outside of where you'd personally rank them within the T20 (example: Garza #1 instead of Lester?) ...

1. Ronnie Lester
  2. Luka Garza
  3. Greg Stokes
  4. Don Nelson
  5. Herb Wilkinson
  6. Charles Darling
  7. Sam Williams
  8. Keegan Murray
  9. Murray Wier
  10. Dick Ives
  11. Acie Earl
  12. Andre Woolridge
  13. Roy Marble
  14. Fred Brown
  15. John Johnson
  16. Carl Cain
  17. Bill Logan
  18. Greg Brunner
  19. Bruce King
  20. B.J. Armstrong
  21. Jess Settles
  22. Dave Gunther
  23. Kevin Boyle
  24. Roy Devin Marble
*Bold = 1st team AA

OTHERS for T25 consideration:
Kenny Arnold
Jordan Bohannon
Ryan Bowen
Matt Gatens
Adam Haluska
Jeff Horner
Ed Horton
Peter Jok
Kevin Kunnert
Kenyon Murray
Dean Oliver
Jarrod Uthoff

*Edited to add Kenny Arnold and Kenyon Murray to the OTHERS for Consideration list per discussion further down in the thread

*Second Edit moving Don Nelson to #4, Sam Williams to #7 and Roy Marble down to #13 per some compelling posts further down in this thread discussion
Your #9 post of the All American Weir hits the spot. My late father in law played a couple of years with Maury at Muscatine, and he used to bring him up from time to time....

Your #9 post of the All American Weir hits the spot. My late father in law played a couple of years with Maury at Muscatine, and he used to bring him up from time to time....
Thanks ...no way you can leave a consensus 1st Team AA out of the top 10 no matter how long ago it was. Well, maybe if we had 11+ consensus 1st Team AA to choose from, lol.

Btw, in case you didn't see it, I've updated the rankings in this post.

I'll update the OP.

Reactions: kceasthawk
By the way I graduated (MS) in 1970 so followed them closely. The center was Dick Jensen. Only played about half the time and would be replaced by Ben McGilmer. I was in a calculus class with Jensen. A quiet studious guy.
Here is info I copied from an article about this team:
The 1969-70 Hawkeyes were exceptional in other ways, too. They scored an astonishing 102.9 points a game in conference play—an all-time Big Ten record—without the benefit of a shot clock or 3-point line. The team's star, John Johnson, still holds the school's high mark for most points scored in a game—49, against Northwestern on Feb. 24, 1970. He also held the school record for the most points in a single season (699) for 50 years, until it was beaten by Luka Garza in March 2020.
More: After wininng at Purdue against Rick Mount (who scored 61 points I think) this:
When the Hawkeyes arrived back in Iowa City the night after the win at Purdue, more than 4,000 fans as jubilant as the Iowa cheerleader greeted them at the airport. Traffic was backed up for two miles, according to an account in the Des Moines Register.

Reactions: skydog0784
I think All-American and All-Conference selections hold the most weight.

However, All-time statistical leaders in major categories (pts, rebs, steals, asst, etc) are also determining factors.

Here are the leaders in various categories of '1,000 points and ____' thru 2022...

Career 1,000 Points and 500 Rebounds (28 total)
PlayerPointsRebounds
1. Luka Garza (2018-21)2,306931
2. Roy Marble (1986-89)2,116668
3. Aaron White (2012-15)1,859901
4. Acie Earl (1990-93)1,779811
5. Greg Stokes (1982-85)1,768807
6. Jess Settles (1994-97, ’99)1,611747
7. Don Nelson (1960-62)1,522784
8. Greg Brunner (2003-06)1,516990
9. Jeff Horner (2003-06)1,502563
10. Ed Horton (1986-89)1,372876
11. Bruce King (1975-77)1,361852
12. Tyler Cook (2017-19)1,315619

1,000 Points and 100 Steals (22 total)
PlayerPointsSteals
1. Roy Marble (1986-89)2,116179
2. Aaron White (2012-15)1,859149
3. Acie Earl (1990-93)1,779111
4. Greg Stokes (1982-83)1,768110
5. B.J. Armstrong (1986-89)1,705171
6. Roy Devyn Marble (2011-14)1,694176
7. Matt Gatens (2009-12)1,635141
8. Jess Settles (1994-97, ’99)1,611154
9. Adam Haluska (2005-07)1,578113
10. Dean Oliver (1998-2001)1,561205
11. Andre Woolridge (1995-97)1,525123
12. Jeff Horner (2003-06)1,502166

1,000 Points and 400 Assists (7 total)
PlayerPointsAssists
1. Jordan Bohannon (2017-22)2,033704
2. B.J. Armstrong (1986-89)1,705517
3. Ronnie Lester (1977-80)1,675480
4. Dean Oliver (1998-2001)1,561561
5. Andre Woolridge (1995-97)1,525575
6. Jeff Horner (2003-06)1,502612

7. Mike Gesell (2013-16)

1,000 Points and 100 Blocked Shots (9 total)
PlayerPointsBlocks
1. Luka Garza (2018-21)2,306154
2. Acie Earl (1990-93)1,779365
3. Greg Stokes (1982-85)1,768228
4. Greg Brunner (2003-06)1,516104
5. Jarrod Uthoff (2014-16)1,298177
6. Melsahn Basabe (2011-14)1,119148
7. Michael Payne (1982-85)1,118232
8. Ryan Bowen (1995-98)1,090124
9. Keegan Murray (2021-22)1,046107

Obviously, some players had significant playing time for 4-5 years, where some only had significant playing time for 2-3 years. That's why some stats need to be taken with a grain of salt and weighted appropriately.

Last edited:
I appreciate you taking time to read and respond...just wish you'd provide a little more context on why you feel the way you do.

Are you saying you would swap Stokes and JJ on that list?

Could you maybe go ahead and post your own T25?
Fair point that I didn't provide context.

Here is my list. I'll admit to only putting in players that I saw play (I've followed the Hawks since the 67-68 season as a six year old).

1) Ronnie Lester
2) John Johnson
3) Fred Brown
4) Keegan Murray
5) Luka Garza (higher due to winning the Wooden Award)
6) Andre Woolridge (best job of carrying a team)
7) Roy Marble
8) Sam Williams
9) BJ Armstrong
10) Chris Street (sadly we'll never know how much higher he could have been on this list)
11) Greg Stokes
12) Kevin Gamble (glue of the 87 team -- higher due to hitting last-second game winner in Sweet 16)
13) Aaron White
14) Glenn Vindovic
15) Kris Murray (have to admit poor end of season impacts his list position)
16) Adam Haluska
17) Acie Earl
18) Dean Oliver
19) Bruce "Sky" King (a personal favorite from the 1970s)
20) Kevin Kunnert
21) Devyn Marble
22) Jess Settles (injuries kept him from being higher)
23) Jared Uthoff
24) Jeff Horner
25) Kenny Arnold (sentimental last pick)

Yeah, these lists with 'most' anything pretty much rule out in jr. college transfers like Brown and Johnson. Real stats should be per game stuff. Oh, Don Nelson probably played half the games Garza did, also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT