ADVERTISEMENT

Your All-Iowa Team historically

With due respect to the players before about 1968, I'm only including players I have actually seen play. Also, trying to pick an actual team vs the best players.

Ronnie Lester - PG
Roy Marble - SG
John Johnson - SF
Chris Street - PF
Luka Garza - C

Andre Woolridge - PG
Fred Brown - SG
Kenyon Murray - SF
Jess Settles - PF
Greg Stokes - C

BJ Armstrong - PG
Val Barnes - SG
Kevin Boyle - SF
Ed Horton - PF
Bruce King - C

I am going to name my five starters only. They are;

Ronnie Lester
Fred Brown
Luka Garza
John Johnson
Chris Street
If we are true Hawkeye fans, we would be proud of any of the lists posted. I am old enough to have seen almost every one on my list. I am also a distant cousin of Kevin Kunnert from Wahlert.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
The problem with lists like this is recency bias. Especially younger people who have no sense of history. You also can’t compare athletes from different eras physically. You have to take into account what they did in the era they played. That being said, here are my 13, in no particular order:

Murray Weir
Ronnie Lester
B.J. Armstrong
Fred Brown
Roy Marble Sr.
John Johnson
Sam Williams
Bruce King
Carl Cain
Greg Stokes
Luka Garza
Don Nelson
Acie Earl

I know many folks put Chris Street on their list, but that is for “what might have been.” Had he lived there is a good chance he would be one of the all-time best, but since he didn’t, I could not justify including him.

Street did enough in his 2 1/2 years as a Hawkeye to justify being on anyone's list, not just for "what might have been".

With all due respect to Brown, Johnson, Nelson and all the greats of the pre 80's, I never saw them play and will be leaving them off.

Lester
Gamble
Marble
Evans
Garza

BJ
Haluska
Thompson
Stokes
Earl

Wooldridge
Uthoff
White

We’ll allow a baker’s dozen for this exercise.

Here’s mine, starters first:

Ronnie Lester
Roy Marble
Bruce “Sky” King
Aaron White
Luka Garza

BJ Armstrong
Adam Haluska
Don Nelson
Jess Settles
Greg Stokes

Andre Woolridge
Matt Gatens
Acie Earl
Ronnie Lester and Don Nelson are givens. Anybody who omits them from a GOAT list isn't to be taken seriously.

Add Fred Brown, Luka Garza and Sam Williams if you're building an actual team with two guards, two forwards and a center. It would be a very close decision between Super Sam and John Johnson for the small forward spot. And if you are prejudiced against Juco players, replace Fred Brown with BJ.

I am not old enough to have seen Murray Weir, but his achievements would give him a strong bid.

Street did enough in his 2 1/2 years as a Hawkeye to justify being on anyone's list, not just for "what might have been".
Not saying he wasn’t a great one....just saying his accomplishments were not enough to put him in MY Top 13.

Freddie Brown
John Johnson
Sam Williams
Don Nelson
Ronnie Lester
Luka Garza
Roy Marble

Greg Stokes
Adam Haluska
Kevin Kunnert
Chris Pervall
Andre Woolridge
Carl Cain
Pretty much my list too. Folks can kind of tell the age of the posters by the names on this list. Here’s to the long time fans! 🍺

LOL, Stokes absolutely runs circles around either of them on defense to the point its laughable and his offensive numbers aren’t far behind Lukas at all (higher career fg% and only 3 less ppg on 2 less shot attempts per game career) and they completely blow away Whites.

He was a better scorer, rebounder, and defender than White. WTF is White better at that makes him a better talent overall?

Anybody that leaves Lester or Stokes off the first team is embarrassing themselves...
Matt Bullard should be on any list also.

i always find it funny when someone trots these lists out. what are we trying to say? that our all time greats would make an un-approachable team that would compete for championships?

of course i'm assuming all the other teams would be building their own all times, too? msu, purdue, indiana, mich... not to mentions the ucla's, duke's, nc's and kansas's of the bb world.

yeah, we still finish 6th in the B1G and if we have dr. tom as head coach we might make it to the second round in the dance.

i always find it funny when someone trots these lists out. what are we trying to say? that our all time greats would make an un-approachable team that would compete for championships?

of course i'm assuming all the other teams would be building their own all times, too? msu, purdue, indiana, mich... not to mentions the ucla's, duke's, nc's and kansas's of the bb world.

yeah, we still finish 6th in the B1G and if we have dr. tom as head coach we might make it to the second round in the dance.
Don’t open the thread then.

Reactions: nelly02
Don’t open the thread then.
yeah, my comment came out kinda condescending and douche-y. however, i didn't say i don't enjoy thinking about what a great team we could field if we cherry-picked, just that if we are building our all time team and everyone else is too, iowa still stacks up probably right where we stack up historically.

yeah, my comment came out kinda condescending and douche-y. however, i didn't say i don't enjoy thinking about what a great team we could field if we cherry-picked, just that if we are building our all time team and everyone else is too, iowa still stacks up probably right where we stack up historically.
That’s fair.

any list that doesn't have
Freddy as the off guard just means you never saw him play

any list that doesn't have
Freddy as the off guard just means you never saw him play

After looking over many of the lists posted and doing a bit more research...

I think I could be convinced to remove Gatens and replace him with Freddy on the reserves.

I might also be persuaded to remove Acie from my list all together, move Settles to reserve, White to second team and place Johnny Johnson of my starting team.

Definitely lots of talent pre-80s to consider.

We’ll allow a baker’s dozen for this exercise.

Here’s mine, starters first:

Ronnie Lester
Roy Marble
Bruce “Sky” King
Aaron White
Luka Garza

BJ Armstrong
Adam Haluska
Don Nelson
Jess Settles
Greg Stokes

Andre Woolridge
Matt Gatens
Acie Earl

Peter Jok

Peter Jok
Very good and definitely deserving of Top 40, but not Top 13 worthy (IMO).

*Everyone has their favorites and metrics for making a list, so their aren’t really any wrong answers...unless you’re purposely making a list just to show off that you remember names of obscure players who never really made an impact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT