ADVERTISEMENT

Zane/Clark

It's only boasting if you can't back it up. He did win. So the ball is in Clark's court to shut the guy up the next time. I think he got that crap from Delgato after he beat McD. A healthy Mcd beats Delgato and a healthy Clark beats Zane.

Cocky little sht, but he did win. This will put a fire under Clark's butt next time they meet,can't wait.

Reactions: gablefan73
I mean to say he's not in your league is a little much Clark is a 2x AA and finalist Richards is very good but he hasn't even seen the podium yet (I'm aware he was dealing with an injury last season)

Reactions: Jackhawk87
LOL. He's so cocky. I like that.
Clark will get healthy and will punish him in their next match.
Notice Clark didn't shoot at all against Malone of Northwestern. I don't think he can at this point with this leg. Once that wrap comes off, Zane won't be at Clark's level. Not even close.

LMAO! Good for him that he's confident, but man does he come off like a dbag. CC "isn't in his league", yet he got taken to overtime in a match where he gave up a stalling point, and was wrestling a one legged guy.

Reactions: TarpHawk and Gutt15
Thanks for posting this video. I inevitably had to watch the Top 10 pictures you have to look at twice video, because of the young lady with the impressive chestial region.......

Reactions: Gutt15
Good for Zane. That's exactly the mindset you must have in order to be great in this sport, like it or not. I'm sure the coaches in his room are in his ear every day telling him Clark (or whoever's next on the schedule) isn't in his league, or at least I hope they are. This is what makes the sport great. Hope these 2 have a few more battles this season and next.

Reactions: PrairieHawk1
No, it's not. It's fine to believe you train harder, etc., but when you say a NCAA finalist is not even in your league then you've reached disrespectful & delusional status.
Maybe it's not quite PC enough for you, but I will assure you Clark goes into the match thinking the same exact thing. He and the other 9 Hawkeyes in the lineup.

Maybe it's not quite PC enough for you, but I will assure you Clark goes into the match thinking the same exact thing. He and the other 9 Hawkeyes in the lineup.
Don't give me the PC crap routine. It's irrelevant.

All Hawk wrestlers think all of their opponents are not even in their league? That's what Sorensen thinks about Tsirtsis? That's what Clark thinks about Richards? That's what Cooper thinks about IMar?

Reevaluate your position.

Last edited:
Jeez, after watching that even I want Clark to shut him up with a dominating victory!!! I will be rooting Clark in next matchup

Richards had basically said the same things before the match. There was a video on Flo.

I don't even have to watch the video and it makes me happy and grateful. Happy that my ears aren't big and they don't stick out. And grateful that my parents were adamant I wore my headgear as much as possible. My ears didn't come out unscathed, but I couldn't imagine the reactions from every new person that sees me if they were that bad. It is a badge of honor in our own tight knit community, but outside of it......not so much!

Cocky little sht, but he did win. This will put a fire under Clark's butt next time they meet,can't wait.

Exactly. Use it as motivation and pay him back big time at Big 10s and nationals. (Just like last year, IIRC.) This isn't professional boxing where you have to beg the champ for a rematch. Your payback opportunity is just two months away. Use it.

Don't give me the PC crap routine. It's irrelevant.

All Hawk wrestlers think all of their opponents are not even in their league? That's what Sorenson thinks about Tsirtsis? That's what Clark thinks about Richards? That's what Cooper thinks about IMar?

Reevaluate your position.

Yes, Yes, No. I will reevaluate. Wrestlers with similar skill sets such as Clark and Richards who have split matches previously - absolutely think this. God forbid another schools athlete is confident in himself. Did he come across a little arrogant in how he said it? Absolutely. But the fact that Clark was an NCAA finalist last season surely doesn't mean squat to Zain, and it certainly shouldn't. As a Hawk fan, and a big CC supporter, I can't help but love it and look forward to what's next between these 2.

Reactions: PrairieHawk1
Yes, Yes, No. I will reevaluate. Wrestlers with similar skill sets such as Clark and Richards who have split matches previously - absolutely think this. God forbid another schools athlete is confident in himself.
This would go better if you wouldn't resort to straw men. No one said they shouldn't be confident. That's asinine. What's also asinine is to think someone is NOT IN YOUR LEAGUE when that one (NCAA finalist) has 1) beaten you before, and 2) you just had to resort to overtime in order to beat this time.

Did he come across a little arrogant in how he said it? Absolutely. But the fact that Clark was an NCAA finalist last season surely doesn't mean squat to Zain, and it certainly shouldn't. As a Hawk fan, and a big CC supporter, I can't help but love it and look forward to what's next between these 2.
You can love it all you want. That's your choice.

To declare another is not in your league, when he clearly is, is delusional.

I thought it was a good interview. Richards is looking good so far this year. Props to him.

This would go better if you wouldn't resort to straw men. No one said they shouldn't be confident. That's asinine. What's also asinine is to think someone is NOT IN YOUR LEAGUE when that one (NCAA finalist) has 1) beaten you before, and 2) you just had to resort to overtime in order to beat this time.

You can love it all you want. That's your choice.

To declare another is not in your league, when he clearly is, is delusional.
Next time I need insight on what league NCAA wrestlers are in I will be sure to consult with you first. I will stop shot of calling a 22 year old student athlete who just came off a big win delusional, however. Don't get your panties in a bunch, there's no need to feel disrespected. This is the kind of stuff that makes wrestling fun.

I'm telling you right now my crap don't stink. I can't prove it but I'm telling you so. Now if others tell me my crap don't stink that's better yet. I haven't heard anyone except Zane spout about Clark not being in his league. Zane is no Imar he may think he is but results say different. Until Zane wins multiple championships he is not out of anyone's league. He can spew all he wants, the podium tells it like it is.

Yes, Yes, No. I will reevaluate. Wrestlers with similar skill sets such as Clark and Richards who have split matches previously - absolutely think this. God forbid another schools athlete is confident in himself. Did he come across a little arrogant in how he said it? Absolutely. But the fact that Clark was an NCAA finalist last season surely doesn't mean squat to Zain, and it certainly shouldn't. As a Hawk fan, and a big CC supporter, I can't help but love it and look forward to what's next between these 2.
This. If this comes out of Sorensen's mouth after his match with Tsirtsis at Midlands every naysayer here eats it up, or at least defends him when PSU faithful or others come to trash him.

I took that interview the exact opposite as most of you, and have to agree with 9hawks. Richards sounded like a hawk and kind of made me wish he was on our team (not in place of Clark, I'll still take Clark in a rematch). His comments weren't necessarily even directed at Clark. To me that's just practice room talk that he hears everyday. The type of stuff that Perry was in his ear about prior to the match and probably afterward. "Get to your stuff", "Nobody trains like you", "Nobody is in your league", "believe in yourself and be ready to go", "Match didn't even have to be that close", "believe in your program and the whole system"...

That's the type of stuff that I've grown accustomed to hearing come out of the mouth of Hawkeyes, and I enjoy it. Kudos to Richards on a big win. Hope Clark gets him next time.

Sounded like what every wrestler should feel. Arrogant or not, need to beat him to prove him wrong.

Next time I need insight on what league NCAA wrestlers are in I will be sure to consult with you first. I will stop shot of calling a 22 year old student athlete who just came off a big win delusional, however. Don't get your panties in a bunch, there's no need to feel disrespected. This is the kind of stuff that makes wrestling fun.
I don't feel disrespected. Why would I? Don't make it personal between posters.

These type of statements by the wrestlers or you are certainly entertaining, and seem to make wrestling fun for you, but it doesn't mean the rest of us have to think it accurate or the healthiest, especially when you're trying to speak for the whole team.

This. If this comes out of Sorensen's mouth after his match with Tsirtsis at Midlands every naysayer here eats it up, or at least defends him when PSU faithful or others come to trash him.

This is a stupid thing to say. If BS had said that 80% on this board would say they love the confidence but he needs to win some titles before making silly statements like that. That is a fact

I'm not a big fan of talkers, but I really didn't have any problem with what Richards said. I read the thread before listening to the interview. I don't think he was referring specifically to Cory but more just to his opponents in general, and I agree that his mindset is terrific. If he was referring specifically to Cory, then I'd agree it was over the top. That said, I do think his head is in the right place, and he wrestled like it. We could use some similar thinking at 141, 157, and 165, where our guys are lacking confidence. If they believed in themselves like Zane Richards believes in himself, I think they'd be having markedly better seasons than they are.

All of that said, I've never agreed with the premise that guys can talk smack as long as they can back it up on the mat. No, I'd say it's never a good idea to talk smack at all, whether you're Topher Carton or Cael Sanderson. It's always better to let your wrestling do the talking, IMO. In this case, I think almost everything Richards said was just about belief in himself and his training. The comment about Cory not being in his league, if in fact it was directed specifically at Cory, was unwarranted and unrealistic. I thought everything else, though, was just the manifestation of confidence and a positive attitude -- something that some of our guys sorely need.

Reactions: TarpHawk and 9Hawks
This is a stupid thing to say. If BS had said that 80% on this board would say they love the confidence but he needs to win some titles before making silly statements like that. That is a fact

I agree. Plus, we all know there's not a chance in &^%$ that anything like this ever comes out of Brandon Sorensen's mouth. That's pretty much the opposite of his style. So to bring it up is a little nutty in the first place.

Reactions: gablefan73
I don't see how an Iowa fan can get mad at this. Brent Metcalf used to talk about himself in the third person and refused to smile because then his opponents might think he thought beating them was an accomplishment. Have you LISTENED to some of Gilman's interviews? I love it, and I can't wait for Clark to kick his ass next time they wrestle. And I hope he gives an interview talking about how one day Zane can make it to the "big leagues".

Reactions: Chuck C
It's natural for us as Hawks fans to want to stick up for our guy. Clearly and obviously Zane is incorrect about Cory and his respective leagues. Cory has had a much better college wrestling career than Zane thus far, but I don't take exception to Zane's (over)confidence. Not Cory's personality to say something like that, he tends to be more reserved and respectful, but would anyone honestly say they would be surprised if Gilman said something similar? Let's do again in Iowa City boys!

Brandon would never spew this crap even if he did believe it and no iowa wrestlers do not act this way.guys who are the ones to not be messed with don't tell you how tough they are,

No, it's not. It's fine to believe you train harder, etc., but when you say a NCAA finalist is not even in your league then you've reached disrespectful & delusional status.

I don't feel disrespected. Why would I? Don't make it personal between posters.

It's not personal whatsoever on this end. You said he was disrespectful, I simply disagreed. That's all.

Good grief. Are you trying to tell me you couldn't see that I was referencing what wrestlers thought about other wrestlers, not what posters though about other posters?

I used the second person in my original quote because you had.
Good for Zane. That's exactly the mindset you must have in order to be great in this sport, like it or not.

For you, I suppose I'll have to switch to the third person singular in those cases to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT