ADVERTISEMENT

Are you confident Kirk & Co. can coach up all these 2 & 3* recruits?

Whatever Soup did at Iowa sure didn't "help" his resume
He couldn't land a decent college job, ended up in the CFL, where he was fired in season,and now is in an admin/non coaching role at Michigan.

I thought when he was here we had some pretty good WR. We had McNutt, DJK, and others. Now look at our current roster of WR, we are struggling at that position.

Our current HC has proven he can win at a high level with 2 & 3 star recruits in a P5 conference.

How many years are you counting backwards?

Ferentz has a 19-21 in B1G play over the past 5 years and barely has a winning record overall during that same time.

In the event you've been Rumpelstiltskin, which I'm guessing you've been, we haven't demonstrated for quite some time we can win at a high level with 2-star recruits.

I thought when he was here we had some pretty good WR. We had McNutt, DJK, and others. Now look at our current roster of WR, we are struggling at that position.
My point is, nothing he did at Iowa helped him land a decent job. I don't know the "internal" reasons on why, but it is obvious, he has had some issues when trying to gain high level employment. Heading to the CFL, getting fired mid season from that job, and now a staffer in a non coaching role at Michigan. His "profile" has dropped since he was told to seek a different employer by KF.

It would be nice if the number of Iowa players making it to the NFL relative to other programs was somehow translating to wins on the field. For whatever reason that doesn't seem to be happening as one might expect.
From your mouth to God's ears.......................... or however that little statement goes! :D

Reactions: DewHawk
You can't win Championships in college football without big time QB play. This is what has been missing at Iowa
For sure that's a factor, but Iowa's QB situation isn't and hasn't been terrible. It's been adequate to win Football games, but you need help in all 3 phases, and Iowa's traditionally great teams are rock solid on Defense and Special Teams.

You also can't win using fullbacks in the tailback position for multiple years, or using swimmers and divers as punters and punt returners...............................

I think you are missing his point. Other Power 5 schools also recognized the talent of most of those kids and offered them scholarships. They may have been 3 star players like this class but they had offers from Michigan St, Missouri or Nebraska for example. But thus far only about half of this class has another Power 5 offer and even then, most of those Power 5 offers are not from good football schools. It appears this class may be less talented than your example because far fewer solid programs have offered. And the harsh truth is that even at Iowa, project players often remain just that.

Excellent point, although I think you're overlooking one important factor.... These early commitments are Plan A kids that KF has been evaluating without the pressure to offer. He obviously saw skills/frame that he knows from experience can translate to Big Ten football. Big difference between a low-star Plan A in July and a low-star fall-back commitment in January after missing on some kids.

You're correct that offers say a hell of a lot more about potential than stars or rankings (other coaches get paid to evaluate kids, too), but I've learned that Plan A kids should always get the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: icu81222
How many years are you counting backwards?

Ferentz has a 19-21 in B1G play over the past 5 years and barely has a winning record overall during that same time.

In the event you've been Rumpelstiltskin, which I'm guessing you've been, we haven't demonstrated for quite some time we can win at a high level with 2-star recruits.

Agreed KF thinks he is an NFL farm team and player development his ultimate goal, not winning games. So, we continue to be stuck in average, sadly:-( As many as he coaches up he coaches down QB's.

It's nice to see that there are a few people on here who understand what's going on.
Great articles out there on attrition if people are willing to read and learn.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you STAY all 4 or 5 years and don't get hurt, you'll have a great chance to at least get a look from the NFL no matter how many stars you have!
example: The 2010 class. They signed 22 kids that year. 9 left or had some sort of career ending injury. Leaving 13. Of those 13, nine of them were either drafted or got a look as an undrafted free agent. 9 of 13! 70%! Now that is development my friends. And if more kids would have stayed, it wouldn't have hurt that percentage because it was guys like Coker, Derby, etc...

The question everyone should be asking is not how we improve recruiting, but how do we improve retention. I guaranty you that's the focus of this current recruiting cycle. kids that want to be hawks AND that the coaches believe will STA
Wow MattFoleyHawk, I actually agree with you for once! I see what the staff is doing and from my perspective I think it's a good approach. The approach appears to eliminate a portion of the tier offering system (offer primary targets first, then secondary targets, then tertiary targets) and focuses more on regional talent. It seems the reasoning is two-fold: 1) Retention - as they are from B1G states and are either close to home or will travel close to home for games during their career they are less likely to leave. As a result Iowa will get more of a chance to develop them. 2) Quality upgrade - It's not to say that tertiary targets are bad, but Iowa historically has the tendency to rely on these type of recruits near the end of the recruiting period. Sometimes this turns out great, but many times nothing seems to pan out and can be used to explain why Iowa has so many walk-on starters. Offering your secondary targets along with your primary eliminates the likelyhood of having to rely on tertiary targets to fill out a class.

No. Long gone are the days when we had a significant strength and conditioning advantage along with some great assistant coaches. The playing field has evened out with S&C and our best coaches have been gone for years.

It would be nice if the number of Iowa players making it to the NFL relative to other programs was somehow translating to wins on the field. For whatever reason that doesn't seem to be happening as one might expect.

Why do some obsess over NFL draftees at the price of losing. Get your priorities in order. Recruit top flight players. Successful teams win with top flight players. Hire coaches who know how to and will!!!!!

How successful you are at "coaching up" less heralded recruits is dependent upon your expectations. A good coach can coach up a team full of 2-3 Star recruits to be bowl eligible, competitive in games against higher ranked teams with an occasional upset, and be in the conversation for a conference title.

It is difficult to actually win a conference title when there are teams with more talent and as good or better coaching. Forget the National Championship barring some kind of miracle everything works to your advantage season.

Also having 2-3 top draft picks from a college team full of average college talent look so oodles when talking about having players from the team getting drafted or having NFL talent on the team, but doesn't equate to championship caliber teams.

A program like Iowa with the recruiting base will always have to be able to "coach up players", but recruiting "enough" top talent is the key to being a true championship contender. But that describes most college teams as well.

You can't win Championships in college football without big time QB play. This is what has been missing at Iowa

Bingo!! and I think the qb preparation and coaching has been subpar. Having said that the wr recruiting has been below average which has hurt our qb play. Iam optimistic with some talent in the pipeline with the likes of CJ, Wieggers, Boyle/Cook. can't wait to see some young wr's emerge like Scheel, Ogwo, Smith etc.

Bingo!! and I think the qb preparation and coaching has been subpar. Having said that the wr recruiting has been below average which has hurt our qb play. Iam optimistic with some talent in the pipeline with the likes of CJ, Wieggers, Boyle/Cook. can't wait to see some young wr's emerge like Scheel, Ogwo, Smith etc.

Yeah skill position players is the area that has hurt Iowa the most the past few years. When you don't have an elite QB you need an elite RB, Iowa has had neither. I think Rudock would have done fine if they had a RB that was actually elite. Add that to the fact that WR play has been down as well except for Smith last year. Look at Iowa's last really good teams and you will find talent at the skill positions.

2008- Greene, Hampton, Stanzi, DJK, 3 future NFL TE's in Moeaki, Reisner and Myers.
2009- Wegher, DJK, Stanzi, McNutt, Moeaki, , and Adam Robinson wasn't elite but he is much better than Weisman and Canzeri.

Yeah skill position players is the area that has hurt Iowa the most the past few years. When you don't have an elite QB you need an elite RB, Iowa has had neither. I think Rudock would have done fine if they had a RB that was actually elite. Add that to the fact that WR play has been down as well except for Smith last year. Look at Iowa's last really good teams and you will find talent at the skill positions.

2008- Greene, Hampton, Stanzi, DJK, 3 future NFL TE's in Moeaki, Reisner and Myers.
2009- Wegher, DJK, Stanzi, McNutt, Moeaki, , and Adam Robinson wasn't elite but he is much better than Weisman and Canzeri.

I didn't think or WR's were that bad....JR just couldn't get the ball to them! CJ seemed to be able to find open receivers down field? He didn't always complete the pass, but he found them. All you had to do was hit JR once and he had happy feet the rest of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT