ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Championships-Session 1 : PBP Thread

While I don't agree, I think this is fair. Something clearly is wrong maybe it is an injury. Then this makes sense. I'm fully buying into an illness as this has been going on for a while. Regardless how weak Midlands has become, you don't win it with what Cash has been displaying lately. He has shown to be much better (even up a weight).
He's never been a house afire. Maybe he's under the weather, I don't know. I'm not surprised by his performance, but if some are that's OK. If something is ailing him I sure hope he gets it fixed and pronto.

I do recall a time when Brands was wrestling and turned to the Michigan bench and gave them the "i broke him" hand gesture. So.....

. . . and I don't think Tom looked upset by what Massa did. What's your point?

I'm not agreeing with it, but looking for explanations. This is not the same Cash from last year or earlier this year.
Sorry I’m late to the conversation, but fatigue from flu can linger on for a few weeks. I’ve had it twice in my life and it’s amazing how much it can sap your energy Don’t have any way of knowing if that’s the explanation here, but it’s possible that’s why he looks, shall we say, uninspired.

There is no other consistent top 10 team ranked squad that wrestles so timid, and so below expectations, as Iowa in March. I know I will get blasted by some, but I don't care: In my mind, Brands has one more year to improve this team or we need a new coach to the program that brings new energy and new ideas.

Sorry I’m late to the conversation, but fatigue from flu can linger on for a few weeks. I’ve had it twice in my life and it’s amazing how much it can sap your energy Don’t have any way of knowing if that’s the explanation here, but it’s possible that’s why he looks, shall we say, uninspired.

If it's the flu, he's had it for a couple months. IMO Wilcke just ain't into it.

I'd almost prefer we go to the NCAA with just our core get-after-it wrestlers. It's demoralizing to the coaches, wrestlers, and fans to watch this going through the motions crap.

Wait...what? We brag about 125 and 133. I’m pretty sure Lee won his match and we have a guy who never won a state title at 133.

Still went 0-2 losing to some guys called Dylan Duncan and Garrett Pepple. If you're going to brag about having the best lightweight coaches/room, you would think you could coach some up to beat those two, or at least one of them.

Do you get team points for a first round bye?
No you don't. Bye's are random though so no-one is favored. Purdue had several 1st round byes. But yes I think you get credit for a rd 1 win if you win in rd 2 and had a bye.

Last edited:
Really inspiring performance so far. From Lee and Kemerer. The rest might as well have stayed home

JFC what a stupid thing to post after Marinelli's match. It was a great matchup between two top level wrestlers.

Christ sometimes the other guy wrestles hard and wins too you know? It wasn't like Marinelli just quit after going down 5-1. Please stop watching the sport if you're so upset about an overtime battle against the returning NCAA 3rd place finisher.

33, 74, 84 and 97 are straight garbage and their effort this weekend is offensive to me as life-long Iowa wrestling fan but the other six guys are out there battling.

I think he was just frustrated by Bannister's style. He is like a mix between a fire hydrant and Ronnie Bresser.
Agreed, Sorensen wants to wrestle from his ties, not space. Bannister is not that kind of matchup.

I think he was just frustrated by Bannister's style. He is like a mix between a fire hydrant and Ronnie Bresser.
But he didn't look great against Deakin or Degen either. Understand that Deakin is the real deal tho.

We still got a shot of Lee, Sorenson, Kem and Stoll for finals. Marinelli loss was tough but hopefully he gets a rematch for 3rd which is huge with that loaded weight. If ya win Bull just shake hand and walk off like taking care of business. I still think Bull has a good shot at NCAA champ this year.

If it's the flu, he's had it for a couple months. IMO Wilcke just ain't into it.

I'd almost prefer we go to the NCAA with just our core get-after-it wrestlers. It's demoralizing to the coaches, wrestlers, and fans to watch this going through the motions crap.
Strong agreement here.

For example, if Wilcke shows no fire in practice, why on God's earth would you even take him? It is demoralizing. It's a horrible example to the other wrestlers.

There is no other consistent top 10 team ranked squad that wrestles so timid, and so below expectations, as Iowa in March. I know I will get blasted by some, but I don't care: In my mind, Brands has one more year to improve this team or we need a new coach to the program that brings new energy and new ideas.

Brands can not wrestle for them. The guys with talent are not timid the ones who don't are. There is no other coach around who we could get that I would take over Brands. This is a rebuild year, what expectations were you expecting?

Nope. They both wanted it. Great match!
Massa has his tank back and was able to finish. It came down to Massa being a better scrambler. Marinelli pushed the pace and just needs to figure out how to finish more of those leg attacks. Again, Great Match!
I have been pleasantly surprised by Alex Marinelli this year. He's been outstanding. Based on what little I saw of him last year, I wasn't expecting near what he has given us this year. Kid is a warrior and a battler, and that's what we as fans typically ask for. Well guess what, we got it. He needs to clean some things up, but "want-to" is not one of them.

He absolutely has the ability to beat anyone in this weight class, which to me is an amazing feat given the top end strength of this weight class (and I think IMar is great, even if he isn't the Defending Champion, but Alex is no chump, so he's got a punchers chance for sure). I did not and do not expect him to win a National Championship this year, but I'm glad to see he's got the goods to do so if the chips fall his way, this year and moving forward.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Alex Marinelli this year. He's been outstanding. Based on what little I saw of him last year, I wasn't expecting near what he has given us this year. Kid is a warrior and a battler, and that's what we as fans typically ask for. Well guess what, we got it. He needs to clean some things up, but "want-to" is not one of them.

He absolutely has the ability to beat anyone in this weight class, which to me is an amazing feat given the top end strength of this weight class (and I think IMar is great, even if he isn't the Defending Champion, but Alex is no chump, so he's got a punchers chance for sure). I did not and do not expect him to win a National Championship this year, but I'm glad to see he's got the goods to do so if the chips fall his way, this year and moving forward.
Exactly, he has surprised me. With Massa, there were just a couple real boneheaded decisions that cost him that match. He'll fix that.

Glynn gets to teh leg and then stops.
Here's another one. at 1:34 no crackdown. no finish.
Bobby likes people with 2 or 3 B's in their names.
Bobby is boosting the ratings- according to BT.
Pepple gets a leg and Ironside and Bobby fighting over whether he is in trouble or not.Glynn cannot fight it
TD and ride out
0-2
End of 1.
He had strep.

Brands can not wrestle for them. The guys with talent are not timid the ones who don't are. There is no other coach around who we could get that I would take over Brands. This is a rebuild year, what expectations were you expecting?

It used to be that Iowa dominated up and down the 10 weight classes. We were the aggressors, wearing out the opponent by the 3rd period.

What happened to that?

Now we dominate in maybe one weight class?

I can see why Iowa fans are frustrated; Iowa simply got passed by OSU, PSU, and now Michigan, 3 football schools..

Reactions: artradley
I thought AM fought hard. However some mental errors cost him. If anything he lost by being too aggressive. I can stomach a loss from a guy who is trying to score much better than seeing a guy as accept losing when down.

Let's not forget this is the bull's first loss and it was to the third place NCAA finisher a year ago. I am really interested to see how he responds. I believe this is going to be a good learning experience for him.

JFC what a stupid thing to post after Marinelli's match. It was a great matchup between two top level wrestlers.

Christ sometimes the other guy wrestles hard and wins too you know? It wasn't like Marinelli just quit after going down 5-1. Please stop watching the sport if you're so upset about an overtime battle against the returning NCAA 3rd place finisher.

33, 74, 84 and 97 are straight garbage and their effort this weekend is offensive to me as life-long Iowa wrestling fan but the other six guys are out there battling.

OK, throw Marinelli in there, but hoping to battle for a title and losing out of the gate to the 7 seed is definitely hugely disappointing on paper. I’m 38, and this is one of the worst Iowa teams I have ever seen in my lifetime (maybe a team during Zalesky era), and throw it on top of one of the worst basketball seasons in my lifetime, and the only positive from this sports year was an average football season.

Ugghhh. I know he doesn’t play the games or wrestle the matches, but how Barta keeps his high paying job at Iowa with such crap results is beyond me...

Last edited:
We still got a shot of Lee, Sorenson, Kem and Stoll for finals. Marinelli loss was tough but hopefully he gets a rematch for 3rd which is huge with that loaded weight. If ya win Bull just shake hand and walk off like taking care of business. I still think Bull has a good shot at NCAA champ this year.
I'm hoping Marinelli gets Massa again. I'm hoping the Bull kicks Massa's ass, shakes his hand and walks off the mat.

OK, throw Marinelli in there, but hoping to battle for a title and losing out of the gate to the 7 seed is definitely hugely disappointing on paper. I’m 38, and this is one of the worst Iowa teams I have ever seen in my lifetime (maybe a team during Zalesky era), and throw it on top of one of the worst basketball seasons in my lifetime, and the only positive from this sports year was an average football season.

Ugghhh. I know he doesn’t play the games or wrestle the matches, but how Barta keeps his high paying job at Iowa with such crap results is beyond me...
Baseball Team is 7-1, on the way to 8-1 leading after 5. even with the big slugger from last season missing

Baseball Team is 7-1, on the way to 8-1 leading after 5. even with the big slugger from last season missing

Not proud of it, but never been much of a baseball fan. However, at least there is something to hang your hat on, to go along with the OSU win in football.

What we are putting on the mat at 3-4 weights is down right embarrassing for a program like Iowa.

Enough with the excuses. We are IOWA. We dont have rebuilding years. If we have 2-3 guys in the line-up wrestling up a weight, then that is on the coaches.

Curious how many big wins our 74-84-97'lbers have this year combined....

With all due respect, this team is far from the worst Iowa wrestling team in your lifetime.

Massa was an ultra blue-chip recruit coming out of high school and was in the national title conversation at Nationals last year. His 7 seed isn't at all representative of his talent, and he's just rounding into form after coming back from injury. "Disappointing on paper" is an meaningless phrase. Reality is what matters, and Massa is easily a top 4 165 nationally. The battle is between IMar, Joseph, Massa, and Alex. You never want to lose -- and note that this was Alex's first loss of the season with a heck of a tough schedule -- but that was nothing more than a hard-fought loss to an outstanding wrestler. Hardly grounds for massive disappointment.

I understand there are reasons to be disappointed about the morning session, but Alex Marinelli sure isn't one of them, in the sense that he gave tremendous effort, attacked the whole match, and fought to the end. Alex Marinelli represents everything that is right about Iowa wrestling. And my money says he comes back and beats Massa for 3rd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT