ADVERTISEMENT

***B1G Tournament Session 1***

I was going to suggest we take all the hot garbage and toss it in a separate thread but I see there is one started. It's not over. The sky is not falling. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? C'mon guys, let's do it.
All in all I'd say the negativity this tournament is pretty tempered compared to prior years (i haven't checked all the threads). It certainly helps that we are still set up pretty well to win this whole damn thing. takes the sting out of the losses a little bit

Reactions: 86__90 and TarpHawk
Is there any way of knowing approximately when Iowa wrestlers will be up next. If not, anyone have an idea on when the next Hawk will go?

The flo brackets still show Nevilles in but I think art 12 say MFF and your out.

While the 3 losses suck, all is not lost for Christ sake. Warner needs to and should come back for 3rd, which is where he is seeded. Needs to beat Rasheed on the backside and finish ahead of him. Murin wasn't doing any better than 3rd. I think he comes back for 4th. Young worries me. I'm hoping he can make top 4. 133 also has me nervous. Austin is not himself so far and needs to be better to win the next two matches.

With only six allocation slots at 157...now five since Peyton Robb just stole one making it to the semis, KY has his work cut out for him. I’m hoping he’ll be better this afternoon further away from the cut, but I’m beginning to think that he’s pulling too much weight. Will need two consi wins I believe. Though he should have a good case for a wildcard. Limping into to March.
Robb is legit. The only guy I saw him lose to was Young 6-4.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Kinner already redshirted. Also he started the year as their 133 and wrestled 5 duals at the weight.
Yeah you're right. I seem to have lost a year somewhere. I could've sworn I saw him win a NJ state title last year but it appears that was 2 years ago.

The good news is that we are in first place. Assad had two majors.

Young didn't surprise me. Murin only mildly disappointed me. I actually thought Warner would lose. The worst news to me is how Austin is looking. He will get crushed by RBY tonight if he doesn't start feeling better. He looks weak and exhausted. Perhaps he has the flu,

"There is no such picture in the NCAA rule book. I just looked. I do think it was a takedown, as it looked like control to me, but it is not as cut and dry as you make it out to be"

The picture is in the NCAA case book. I've officiated for 30 years.

The good news is that we are in first place. Assad had two majors.

Young didn't surprise me. Murin only mildly disappointed me. I actually thought Warner would lose. The worst news to me is how Austin is looking. He will get crushed by RBY tonight if he doesn't start feeling better. He looks weak and exhausted. Perhaps he has the flu,
I agree with everything there. Desanto is only thing I can take away from session 1 that is concerning. Hope the fires there tonight he will need it.

Warner has the occasional headscratcher against inferior opponents, and this was one of them. Not really worried as it fits his MO and I don't see him losing to Rasheed again in this tournament or at nationals. Murin took A LOT of bad shots as a freshman, but he has been much better this year. Not sure what he was thinking there at the end going outside. Hopefully just a blip. Young is in trouble.
Still doesn't look like Kem is picking up Warner on the way to the weight room.

Reactions: Grip220
Looks like Murin will eventually get Chad Red (assuming he wins his first two consi matches). Tough eventual matchup for him but time for him to finally get over that hump

Seven Hawkeyes Advance to Semis at B1G Championships

PISCATAWAY, New Jersey -- The University of Iowa wrestling team advanced seven wrestlers to the semifinals of the 2020 Big Ten Championships on Saturday afternoon at the Rutgers Athletic Center.

The Hawkeyes lead the team race with 72 points.

Spencer Lee (125), Austin DeSanto (133), Pat Lugo (149), Alex Marinelli (165), Michael Kemerer (174), Abe Assad (184) and Tony Cassioppi (285) wrestle Saturday night for a chance to compete in the Big Ten finals Sunday afternoon. All seven semifinalists have secured automatic berths to the 2020 NCAA Championships in Minneapolis on March 19-21.

The Hawkeyes won 12-of-15 matches in the opening session, scoring bonus points in 10 bouts. Every Hawkeye in the lineup picked up at least one bonus-point win. Lee, Max Murin, Kemerer, and Cassioppi all won by fall.

Murin (141), Kaleb Young (157), and Jacob Warner (197) dropped their quarterfinal matches and compete Saturday night in wrestle-backs. The three wrestlers lost their matches by a combined five points. Murin needs one win in the wrestle-backs to earn an NCAA automatic bid. Young and Warner both need two wins in the consolation round to earn an automatic berth.

Iowa (72) leads the team race by 13.5 points over Nebraska (58.5). Penn State (56.5), Northwestern (49), and Minnesota (44.5) round out the top five.

QUOTING COACH TOM BRANDS

“Overall assessment is we are looking forward. We have seven in the semis and three on the backside. We like seeing those bonus points. I like seeing guys ride in tough positions. I like seeing guys in a 0-0 match get back points. I like seeing tough situations come out in our favor.”

UP NEXT

Session II begins at 5:30 p.m. (CT) and will be streamed on BTN Plus. A round of consolations will be wrestled prior to the semis.

FIRST ROUND RESULTS (tournament seeds)
133 - #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) major dec. #14 Jordan Decatur (OSU), 17-3
141 - #3 Max Murin (IA) pinned #14 Hunter Baxter (MD), 5:57
184 - #3 Abe Assad (IA) major dec. #14 Kyle Jasenski (MD), 12-4
197 - #3 Jacob Warner (IA) major dec. #14 Nick Willham (IND), 14-4
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) pinned #14 Parker Robinson (MD), 1:16

QUARTERFINAL RESULTS

125 - #1 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned #8 Nic Augular (RU), 2:53
133 - #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #6 Ridge Lovett (NEB), 1-0
141 - #6 Mitch McKee (MINN) dec. #3 Max Murin (IA), 3-1
149 - #2 Pat Lugo (IA) major dec. #7 Collin Purinton (NEB), 11-3
157 - #7 Peyton Robb (NEB) dec. #2 Kaleb Young (IA), 3-2
165 - #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) major dec. #7 Danny Braunagel (ILL), 15-2
174 - #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) pinned #8 Layne Malczewski (MSU), 1:43
184 - #3 Abe Assad (IA) major dec. #6 Rocky Jordan (OSU), 8-0
197 - #6 Shakur Rasheed (PSU) dec. #3 Jacob Warner (IA), 3-1
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) dec. #6 Gary Traub (OSU), 4-0

SEMIFINAL MATCHUPS

125 - #1 Spencer Lee (IA) vs. #5 Jack Medley (MICH)
133 - #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) vs. #2 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU)
149 - #2 Pat Lugo (IA) vs. #3 Brayton Lee (MINN)
165 - #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) vs. #6 Shane Oster (NU)
174 - #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) vs. #4 Devin Skatzka (MINN)
184 - #3 Abe Assad (IA) vs. #2 Cam Caffey (MSU)
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) vs. #2 Gable Steveson (MINN)

CONSOLATION MATCHUPS

141 - #3 Max Murin (IA) vs. #12 Matt Santos (MSU)
157 - #2 Kaleb Young (IA) vs. #8 Eric Barone (ILL)
197 - #3 Jacob Warner (IA) vs. #12 Nick May (MSU)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. IOWA 72.0

2. Nebraska 58.5

3. Penn State 56.5

4. Northwestern 49.0

5. Minnesota 44.5

6. Michigan 39.0

7. Ohio State 34.5

8. Purdue 31.5

9. Wisconsin 24.0

10. Michigan State 20.0

11. Rutgers 12.0

12. Illinois 9.5

13. Indiana 4.0

14. Maryland 0.0

I thought once you MFF, you were done? Thanks for correction

Unless the rules changed recently, a MFF doesn't automatically disqualify you for the rest of the tournament. Tom Ryan had his son MFF the first round a few years ago to get a better draw (allegedly) in the consis. It didnt work.

But I'd be surprised to see Seth back out there. It didnt look good.

Seven Hawkeyes Advance to Semis at B1G Championships

PISCATAWAY, New Jersey -- The University of Iowa wrestling team advanced seven wrestlers to the semifinals of the 2020 Big Ten Championships on Saturday afternoon at the Rutgers Athletic Center.

The Hawkeyes lead the team race with 72 points.

Spencer Lee (125), Austin DeSanto (133), Pat Lugo (149), Alex Marinelli (165), Michael Kemerer (174), Abe Assad (184) and Tony Cassioppi (285) wrestle Saturday night for a chance to compete in the Big Ten finals Sunday afternoon. All seven semifinalists have secured automatic berths to the 2020 NCAA Championships in Minneapolis on March 19-21.

The Hawkeyes won 12-of-15 matches in the opening session, scoring bonus points in 10 bouts. Every Hawkeye in the lineup picked up at least one bonus-point win. Lee, Max Murin, Kemerer, and Cassioppi all won by fall.

Murin (141), Kaleb Young (157), and Jacob Warner (197) dropped their quarterfinal matches and compete Saturday night in wrestle-backs. The three wrestlers lost their matches by a combined five points. Murin needs one win in the wrestle-backs to earn an NCAA automatic bid. Young and Warner both need two wins in the consolation round to earn an automatic berth.

Iowa (72) leads the team race by 13.5 points over Nebraska (58.5). Penn State (56.5), Northwestern (49), and Minnesota (44.5) round out the top five.

QUOTING COACH TOM BRANDS

“Overall assessment is we are looking forward. We have seven in the semis and three on the backside. We like seeing those bonus points. I like seeing guys ride in tough positions. I like seeing guys in a 0-0 match get back points. I like seeing tough situations come out in our favor.”

UP NEXT

Session II begins at 5:30 p.m. (CT) and will be streamed on BTN Plus. A round of consolations will be wrestled prior to the semis.

FIRST ROUND RESULTS (tournament seeds)
133 - #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) major dec. #14 Jordan Decatur (OSU), 17-3
141 - #3 Max Murin (IA) pinned #14 Hunter Baxter (MD), 5:57
184 - #3 Abe Assad (IA) major dec. #14 Kyle Jasenski (MD), 12-4
197 - #3 Jacob Warner (IA) major dec. #14 Nick Willham (IND), 14-4
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) pinned #14 Parker Robinson (MD), 1:16

QUARTERFINAL RESULTS

125 - #1 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned #8 Nic Augular (RU), 2:53
133 - #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #6 Ridge Lovett (NEB), 1-0
141 - #6 Mitch McKee (MINN) dec. #3 Max Murin (IA), 3-1
149 - #2 Pat Lugo (IA) major dec. #7 Collin Purinton (NEB), 11-3
157 - #7 Peyton Robb (NEB) dec. #2 Kaleb Young (IA), 3-2
165 - #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) major dec. #7 Danny Braunagel (ILL), 15-2
174 - #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) pinned #8 Layne Malczewski (MSU), 1:43
184 - #3 Abe Assad (IA) major dec. #6 Rocky Jordan (OSU), 8-0
197 - #6 Shakur Rasheed (PSU) dec. #3 Jacob Warner (IA), 3-1
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) dec. #6 Gary Traub (OSU), 4-0

SEMIFINAL MATCHUPS

125 - #1 Spencer Lee (IA) vs. #5 Jack Medley (MICH)
133 - #3 Austin DeSanto (IA) vs. #2 Roman Bravo-Young (PSU)
149 - #2 Pat Lugo (IA) vs. #3 Brayton Lee (MINN)
165 - #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) vs. #6 Shane Oster (NU)
174 - #1 Michael Kemerer (IA) vs. #4 Devin Skatzka (MINN)
184 - #3 Abe Assad (IA) vs. #2 Cam Caffey (MSU)
285 - #3 Tony Cassioppi (IA) vs. #2 Gable Steveson (MINN)

CONSOLATION MATCHUPS

141 - #3 Max Murin (IA) vs. #12 Matt Santos (MSU)
157 - #2 Kaleb Young (IA) vs. #8 Eric Barone (ILL)
197 - #3 Jacob Warner (IA) vs. #12 Nick May (MSU)

TEAM STANDINGS

1. IOWA 72.0

2. Nebraska 58.5

3. Penn State 56.5

4. Northwestern 49.0

5. Minnesota 44.5

6. Michigan 39.0

7. Ohio State 34.5

8. Purdue 31.5

9. Wisconsin 24.0

10. Michigan State 20.0

11. Rutgers 12.0

12. Illinois 9.5

13. Indiana 4.0

14. Maryland 0.0
woof Maryland has zero points after the first session

It looks like Maryland went 0-16. They still have 4 guys alive that got byes in the first round of consis. There is still hope!

Reactions: meatloaf55
People need to step back from the ledge. I don’t think anybody really thinks Murin is the third ranked wrestler in the country. I have been pleasantly surprised with him this year but I really had a hard time seeing him beat McKee two times in a row. Young is young and he was lucky to beat that kid in their first match up, he’s very talented and a go-getter. Warners loss is pretty disappointing yes, but Rasheed has been there before and he can win big matches. Let’s see how they all come back from those three losses and hope the other seven guys keep going strong.

I agree with everything there. Desanto is only thing I can take away from session 1 that is concerning. Hope the fires there tonight he will need it.
He looks sick, I've never seen him gas, he gassed in both matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT