ADVERTISEMENT

Dochertman speculation on KXNO

Which of the OL have been Barnett recruits though? Hasn't really been here long enough to have his guys.
Yeah I don't think people realize just how much of a crater the OL position was left in by Polasek.

Barnett still needs to show more improvement but deserves another year. Copeland isn't surprising considering they've cratered since ISM and Brandon Smith.

Just sounded off that Iowa is down to 2 on the OC list. Chryst is one of them, speculation about Grubb and other NFL possibilities due to firings. Mention of a new WR coach, possibly Bobby Engram. Sounds like no turnover at the OL coach position.
OL coach should be dismissed, if I were the incoming OC, I would demand a new OL coach to match what my scheme is. GB is the one responsible for the shite show that is the OL.

Thank you, Thank you very much.
noparticularorder GIF

OL coach should be dismissed, if I were the incoming OC, I would demand a new OL coach to match what my scheme is. GB is the one responsible for the shite show that is the OL.
How many of them did he recruit and sign off on? Feth and who else?

I hand you a pile of shit, you gonna turn that into gold? Or you want time to get your guys?

You mean like the shart scene in Along Came Polly? :)

Good stuff squeezebox, I think most if not all Hawks fans looking at Paul C objectively think it would be a solid hire given style, culture, fit, recruiting, etc. It would also make sense to make some changes and if not on OL then WR yes please.

Engram was a stud at PSU and surprisingly was OC and QB coach for Wisky last year, I had forgotten about that. Would be a great addition to the staff..and he's currently with the Commanders who just fired their coach so a house cleaning probably in order.

For those wondering, Wisky was 90th in overall offense during Engram's only hear as OC, 363 yards per game. During Chryst's last years with Jonathon Taylor they were consistenly Top 50 yes please.

I will sh!t my pants if it's Grubb.

I'd also be very happy with Chryst.
Same. Honestly it’s hard for me to believe a coach that is already making a ton of money and coaching in the national title game tonight would even take the time to interview for a lateral (being real generous here) move in the same conference. Like what would we even be able to offer him? We would have to really open up the pocket book just to match his current salary, let alone increase it.

Maybe he’s just really motivated by the potential challenge of doing something that on the surface appears impossible 🤣🤣🤣

Same. Honestly it’s hard for me to believe a coach that is already making a ton of money and coaching in the national title game tonight would even take the time to interview for a lateral (being real generous here) move in the same conference. Like what would we even be able to offer him? We would have to really open up the pocket book just to match his current salary, let alone increase it.

Maybe he’s just really motivated by the potential challenge of doing something that on the surface appears impossible 🤣🤣🤣
Head coach in waiting would be the only situation that made sense, but I don't think the athletic department is involved in this hiring, so not likely to happen. Unless Ferentz is retiring and we're hiring Grubb as HC now.

How many of them did he recruit and sign off on? Feth and who else?

I hand you a pile of shit, you gonna turn that into gold? Or you want time to get your guys?
He also has the ability to go to KF and say "we need portal OL, and now these guys you gave me (that pile of shite) aren't cutting it."

pile GIF

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Yeah I don't think people realize just how much of a crater the OL position was left in by Polasek.

Barnett still needs to show more improvement but deserves another year. Copeland isn't surprising considering they've cratered since ISM and Brandon Smith.

New OC needs to bring in a new WR coach. WR coaches haven't done jack chit on recruiting for long time. ISM and Brandon Smith were studs but my recollection is we lucked into ISM after he was already looking at Minnesota and Brandon Smith was found by the DL coach Bell. Why we rode Raigaini as our top receiver for last 5 years is why BF is being shown the door.

Which of the OL have been Barnett recruits though? Hasn't really been here long enough to have his guys.
Barnett was hired in the spring of 2021 so his first full year recruiting season would have been the 23 class and this years 24 class.

Keeping the same failing OL coach would be completely unsurprising for Kirk.

While getting rid of the wr coach would happen just about anywhere else, he'd be actually third on the list of who needs to go on that side of the ball: #1 OC/QB (done thanks to the interim AD), #2 OL coach, #3 WRs.

IF Kirk lands that ship and he produces a top 50 offense... just put his ass in the HoF.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk

OK, this is just total speculation on my part, but I can present a scenario where it might not be a lateral move. What if DeBoer is very actively involved with the offense at Washington, including overall philosophy, game planning, recruiting strategies...? Maybe Grubb feels like he is only doing half of the OC job at Washington?

I just don't feel that a new OC is going to move the needle much. KF has a very particular strategy, that is focused on defense, ball control and limiting mistakes. Very cautious, blue collar, play not to lose mantra. This trickles down to recruiting, scheme, in game decisions, etc.

The level of scheme innovation and skill player talent truly needed is a really really long putt. The program needs a fresh, inventive CEO and a true overhaul.

I just don't feel that a new OC is going to move the needle much. KF has a very particular strategy, that is focused on defense, ball control and limiting mistakes. Very cautious, blue collar, play not to lose mantra. This trickles down to recruiting, scheme, in game decisions, etc.

The level of scheme innovation and skill player talent truly needed is a really really long putt. The program needs a fresh, inventive CEO and a true overhaul.
Just remember that the cat majority of the KOK and GD offenses were far superior to the last 3 years, even with similar overall philosophies.

As I write this I know it goes against a lot of what KF does, BUT perhaps it is less Barnett and more the zone blocking scheme. With the changes in rules over the past few years, perhaps our line has been bad because they can't zone block well and the rules have really limited what we can do with cut blocking people. This might be why Chryst is one of the finalists for the OC. He ran more big on big blocking at Wisky and maybe KF knows we can't block the same way we did 20 years ago. We did pull more OL than anytime I can remember since Fry. I can see giving Barnett another year in perhaps a different blocking scheme with the new OC. Iowa has been one of the last teams that tried to zone block everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT