ADVERTISEMENT

Even if he is never an AA…

Yes, and Cael should also get a hat tip for keeping Brooks, the number 1 pound for pound recruit, and jr world U23 FS gold medalist from deteriorating.

Yes, and Cael should also get a hat tip for keeping Brooks, the number 1 pound for pound recruit, and jr world U23 FS gold medalist from deteriorating.
Generational talent like him doesn’t deteriorate no matter who is coaching. Worst case is they level off, which is still great.

He have another year he can use?
If we can get AJ on the team, would love to see what he could do at 184. He looked small next to Brooks. And he is bumping up a weight this year. If he is our only option at 197, he should still do well with Brooks and Hilday gone.

We gotta move on from AJ. Our time and energy is better spent elsewhere.
Agree, doubt he ever puts on an Iowa singlet. I'm hoping between Brands and Angelo we can cover 184 next year with them on full feed and let Zack hit the weights hard and man 197 again next year. If he improves even half as much as he has this year next year he is easily top 4 next year at 197 and he has earned the spot with what he has done this year imo.

Reactions: Idahopennstatefan
Agree, doubt he ever puts on an Iowa singlet. I'm hoping between Brands and Angelo we can cover 184 next year with them on full feed and let Zack hit the weights hard and man 197 again next year. If he improves even half as much as he has this year next year he is easily top 4 next year at 197 and he has earned the spot with what he has done this year imo.
Think Zach has reached his ceiling. What is your plan after next year?????? Doesn’t seem like we are in on any 197 stud ready to go as freshman. Pray Kolby has some miracle turn around like Zach? Maybe transfer?? Who ??

Reactions: el dub
Think Zach has reached his ceiling. What is your plan after next year?????? Doesn’t seem like we are in on any 197 stud ready to go as freshman. Pray Kolby has some miracle turn around like Zach? Maybe transfer?? Who ??
If that's your question, how does AJ help you? Isn't he a sr next year?

If that's your question, how does AJ help you? Isn't he a sr next year?
He has 3 years of eligibility if he took his Olympic redshirt this semester. If he didn’t, that tells us he’s done with college wrestling or doesn’t intend to use all his eligibility if he does come back. I know he intended to be on the team this semester, but he talks about being a 4 timer, and nobody is beating your boy Brooks this year. Was smart move, even if unintentional. The only person with an outside chance of an upset is Hilday, and I think he would also beat AJ this year.

Maybe it’s wishful thinking that TnT had a solid backup plan for if AJ transfer didn’t pan out. But gods I hope not.

He has 3 years of eligibility if he took his Olympic redshirt this semester. If he didn’t, that tells us he’s done with college wrestling or doesn’t intend to use all his eligibility if he does come back. I know he intended to be on the team this semester, but he talks about being a 4 timer, and nobody is beating your boy Brooks this year. Was smart move, even if unintentional. The only person with an outside chance of an upset is Hilday, and I think he would also beat AJ this year.
He won his title as a freshman in 2020-2021
He got hurt in a late January automobile accident in 2021-2022
He didnt wrestle in 2022-2023
He didn't wrestle in 2023-2024

How does he still have 3 years left under any circumstance? How did he qualify for an Olympic redshirt if he hasn't wrestled in two years? I don't see any freestyle results since he went 2 and BBQ at the 2020 Trials. His 5 year clock started in 20-21. Unless he received a medical redshirt in 2022, he is a senior next year.

Last edited:
He got hurt in an automobile accident in 2021-2022

How does he still have 3 years left under any circumstance? How did he qualify for an Olympic redshirt if he hasn't wrestled in two years? I don't see any freestyle results since he went 2 and BBQ in at the 2020 Trials. His 5 year clock started in 20-21. Unless he took a medical redshirt in 2022, he is a senior next year.
I don’t think he wrestles another college match, but his eligibility is as follows
20-21 Covid year didn’t count
21-22 freshman year counted
22-23 RS
23-24 Olympic RS if you believe it
24-25 sophomore
25-26 junior
26-27 senior

I don’t think he wrestles another college match, but his eligibility is as follows
20-21 Covid year didn’t count
21-22 freshman year counted
22-23 RS
23-24 Olympic RS if you believe it
24-25 sophomore
25-26 junior
26-27 senior
I believe you but how did he qualify for an Olympic redshirt?

And I agree with your statement about him ever wrestling again. He is simply looking for a money score with no intention on actually earning that money.

2018 Cadet World Bronze
qualifies you six years later? That's messed up. Honestly, I've believed for some time now that they need to tighten up the criteria for taking an Olympic redshirt but I didn't think it was that lax.

Last edited:
qualifies you six years later? That's messed up. Honestly, I've believed for some time now that they need to tighten up the criteria for taking an Olympic redshirt but I didn't think it was that lax.

How do you qualify for an Olympic redshirt?​

The Olympic redshirt is only available during Olympic years to athletes who meet one (or more) of these criteria:

1.) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2.) Top 8 at the previous year Senior U.S. Open

3.) Top 3 at the previous year NCAA wrestling championship or NCAA champion from a previous year and top 2 from the U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)

4.) Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 World Medalist

Reactions: Pennstate1985

How do you qualify for an Olympic redshirt?​

The Olympic redshirt is only available during Olympic years to athletes who meet one (or more) of these criteria:

1.) Past National Team members (Top 3 from the World or Olympic Team Trials)

2.) Top 8 at the previous year Senior U.S. Open

3.) Top 3 at the previous year NCAA wrestling championship or NCAA champion from a previous year and top 2 from the U23 World Team Trials (must accomplish both)

4.) Previous Cadet, Junior, U23 World Medalist
I believed you, I just think 6 years is an incredibly long time in this sport. By this rule, AJ can enter in 2036 too.

He got hurt in a late January automobile accident in 2021-2022

How does he still have 3 years left under any circumstance? How did he qualify for an Olympic redshirt if he hasn't wrestled in two years? I don't see any freestyle results since he went 2 and BBQ at the 2020 Trials. His 5 year clock started in 20-21. Unless he received a medical redshirt in 2022, he is a senior next year.
He said he has 3-4 years left. Used 2 years. Has 2 years, plus redshirt, plus Olympic redshirt, covers last 2 years, leaves him 2 years plus Covid year, so that is 3 years.

I believed you, I just think 6 years is an incredibly long time in this sport. By this rule, AJ can enter in 2036 too.
Yeah, I agree with this. I think the criteria is fine but maybe there should be an expiration. Perhaps it would be reasonable to limit qualification criteria to the current Olympic cycle. So by that, AJ would have qualified for an Olympic RS in 2020 (had he been in college then) but not now

AJ has made a farce of the ORS system by taking one because he was basically kicked out of his program for punching a ref and flipping off the team's parents and not because he is, you know, training for the Olympic trials. He should be required to at least qualify for the OTTs in order to retain the year of eligibility. If you're not even at the trials, you were never seriously pursuing the Olympics.

If we can get AJ on the team, would love to see what he could do at 184. He looked small next to Brooks. And he is bumping up a weight this year. If he is our only option at 197, he should still do well with Brooks and Hilday gone.
Must you turn every thread into an AJ thread? That horse has left the stable.

Way to go Glazier! Shades of Jesse Whitmer.

It was about Zach moving to 184 if we had a better option at 197, and as of now he is the only one, even though is a long shot. Must you be so triggered if you see the letters AJ , even if it’s not the subject of the response?? God I’ll hate to see the meltdown if somehow he and Anthony find their way onto the team next year. I do agree with you that AJ seems to be all in on mma, but the only thing predictable about him, is his unpredictability.

Reactions: grapplefann

Like the North Star in the Arctic wilderness, Ice Man hath becometh a beacon of light in an environment rife with cold and bitterness.

Celebrate the man!

couldn't agree more. like the cavalry coming home.

i wonder if we've ever had a wrestler advance to a B10 final whose only opportunity was as a senior. somewhere jacob warner smiles...
Jessie Whitmer? Or was he not a Big 10 finalist his senior year?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT