ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Hawkeyes land Chicago PG Ahron Ulis***

Yes, he is kind of a SF/SG tweener, but for arguments sake you are correct. I was responding to the debate about how we are going to find minutes for our future log jam at guard.
The challenge is that Ulis, Jobo, Tous, and CJF are not nearly as big as Weezy. But I could envision any combination of 3 of those guys on the floor.
The new guards sacrifice a bit of length for quickness and ball-handling. I’ll take it, but would love to add Jackson and/or Geronimo to the 2-3 mix.

How about any combination of FOUR of those guys on the floor! Throw CMac into the mix....

Lots of Final Four teams have played a significant amount of the game with 4 guard lineups at certain points of their rotations. Three guard lineups are very common...

Yes, he is kind of a SF/SG tweener, but for arguments sake you are correct. I was responding to the debate about how we are going to find minutes for our future log jam at guard.
The challenge is that Ulis, Jobo, Tous, and CJF are not nearly as big as Weezy. But I could envision any combination of 3 of those guys on the floor.

My post was very positive about Connor, so maybe you responded to the wrong person? I never said his shooting was a lost cause, just that it WASN'T good. It definitely wasn't. I didn't like his stroke and his shot was very flat, but hopefully that will improve.

If your flat is shot like Connor's----translating a good FT shooting percentage to 3pt line can be problematic because the extra velocity/force the ball hits the rim from extended distance makes it harder to get friendly rolls. Aaron White was a good FT shooter but horrible 3pt shooter as example and Connor looks to have similar issues.

I wouldn't say Connor's chances of shooting effective 3pt shot are nil, but they probably aren't good given hes been playing B-ball a long time. It was pretty clear opponents were backing off Connor and daring him to shoot the open 3pt shot last year.

Logic raises a good point-indeed the reason I said I wouldn't bet the farm on C's shooting improvement.

The Aaron White example is also a good one. AW's form was much better than C's. Remember you could almost see AW thinking "should I take this shot" when he's be left open. Now senior year he stopped thinking and made enough (.356) to keep the defenses guarding him outside.

The other three years Whitey shot in the mid 20s from 3. You can still win with that from your 4 man if he does all of the other things at an All Conference level. You cannot win with that from a guard, at least a guard that starts or plays heavy minutes.

Logic raises a good point-indeed the reason I said I wouldn't bet the farm on C's shooting improvement.

The Aaron White example is also a good one. AW's form was much better than C's. Remember you could almost see AW thinking "should I take this shot" when he's be left open. Now senior year he stopped thinking and made enough (.356) to keep the defenses guarding him outside.

The other three years Whitey shot in the mid 20s from 3. You can still win with that from your 4 man if he does all of the other things at an All Conference level. You cannot win with that from a guard, at least a guard that starts or plays heavy minutes.

Interesting conversation....there have been point guards who weren’t necessarily good three point shooters who are good distributors and limit turnovers while playing good defense. If they have some intangibles, which I think Connor does, and are good free throw shooters they can be successful.....all that said, Connor (like AW) can and should improve his three point shooting to help this team be the best it can be.

Wouldn’t necessarily say “can not win”. Michigan has done pretty well with a below 30% 3 point shooter at pg.

Reactions: perryhawk
Wouldn’t necessarily say “can not win”. Michigan has done pretty well with a below 30% 3 point shooter at pg.
Simpson is also an all-league defensive guard. Connor will improve his shooting- probably to that 30% level from 3. But he can’t do much about his defensive quickness. We need some quickness in the backcourt to compensate for the length and shooting we lose this year, give us some much-needed D, and help set up our post players who aren’t as athletic as Cook. There are some new guys who can provide that quickness.

If your flat is shot like Connor's----translating a good FT shooting percentage to 3pt line can be problematic because the extra velocity/force the ball hits the rim from extended distance makes it harder to get friendly rolls. Aaron White was a good FT shooter but horrible 3pt shooter as example and Connor looks to have similar issues.

I wouldn't say Connor's chances of shooting effective 3pt shot are nil, but they probably aren't good given hes been playing B-ball a long time. It was pretty clear opponents were backing off Connor and daring him to shoot the open 3pt shot last year.
I don't disagree with anything you say, and basically believe he can be an important contributor at PG even if his 3-pt shot isn't good. It would be nice if he could at least get it about 30%. Making FTs might be more important than shooting 3s for Connor's role on the team, and that is why I mentioned it.

I don't disagree with anything you say, and basically believe he can be an important contributor at PG even if his 3-pt shot isn't good. It would be nice if he could at least get it about 30%. Making FTs might be more important than shooting 3s for Connor's role on the team, and that is why I mentioned it.
Connor already is an important contributor. He was a key backup cog last year. I just think his role is likely to remain limited without even bigger shooting improvements than we’re proposing.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk
Simpson is also an all-league defensive guard. Connor will improve his shooting- probably to that 30% level from 3. But he can’t do much about his defensive quickness. We need some quickness in the backcourt to compensate for the length and shooting we lose this year, give us some much-needed D, and help set up our post players who aren’t as athletic as Cook. There are some new guys who can provide that quickness.

That’s kind of my point. Had nothing to do with Connor really. I was responding to “you can not win with a guard shooting mid 20s% from 3” If you’re an all league defensive guard. That can penetrate, get to the rim, and distribute it’s possible to win.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Love that we landed the second Uhlis. Both brothers played at different times against a local team at two Dubuque Loras College post-holiday games, and I watched both play. Ahron is not 6-1 or 6-2, more like 5-ll, as someone posted. Secondly, he is a 3-star, not a 5-star like his brother. However, he is cat-quick, and may keep steadily improving. Hear he is a great kid, a good citizen, and I think he is an under-the- radar good get for Iowa.

Love that we landed the second Uhlis. Both brothers played at different times against a local team at two Dubuque Loras College post-holiday games, and I watched both play. Ahron is not 6-1 or 6-2, more like 5-ll, as someone posted. Secondly, he is a 3-star, not a 5-star like his brother. However, he is cat-quick, and may keep steadily improving. Hear he is a great kid, a good citizen, and I think he is an under-the- radar good get for Iowa.

ESPN has Ahron listed at 5'11".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT