ADVERTISEMENT

How do YOU take Kirk’s comments?

Kirk: there are things that arent negotiable” then talks about ball security

Also Kirk: sending Deacon Hill out every game
It’s mind boggling how different KF feels about rb’s and ball security and Qb’s and ball security. You don’t have ball security as a rb, your playing days are numbered. As a starting qb, you can continue to fumble the ball away all season long and not even have a glimpse of reduced playing time.

That's not how KF rolls. How are we not understanding this?

Labas could have stepped in after getting healthy but he blew it behavior-wise. Once he was on KF's shit list it was all over. I'm disappointed in him.
So what makes more sense here…given how bad Deacon was…

The fans loudly asking WHY after a ton of objective evidence that the #1 guy consistently performed terribly?

Or…

Kirk just simply not changing b/c “that’s not how he rolls.”

Makes no goddamn sense for Kirk to have that approach. None.

Ferentz. Should. Retire.

I think its Kirk's consistent and persistent coach speak relative to his offensive philosophy as Head Coach. I was glad Tim Lester came on and dove a bit deeper into his approach as OC, which married up to the philosophy.

Kirk's thoughts on Offense:

Ball security
Be mindful of field position
Have regard for time of possession
Move the ball effectively

I suppose if you asked Kirk his philosophy on defense it would look like this:

Stop the run
Limit explosive plays
Tackle well
Turn the offense over

Pretty fundamental and non-sexy thoughts on either.

I think the fan's disappointment with the offense though the years and this OC hiring process led to a lot of people conflating the issues and becoming a bit outraged, which is completely understandable.

I think its Kirk's consistent and persistent coach speak relative to his offensive philosophy as Head Coach. I was glad Tim Lester came on and dove a bit deeper into his approach as OC, which married up to the philosophy.

Kirk's thoughts on Offense:

Ball security
Be mindful of field position
Have regard for time of possession

Move the ball effectively

I suppose if you asked Kirk his philosophy on defense it would look like this:

Stop the run
Limit explosive plays
Tackle well
Turn the offense over

Pretty fundamental and non-sexy thoughts on either.

I think the fan's disappointment with the offense though the years and this OC hiring process led to a lot of people conflating the issues and becoming a bit outraged, which is completely understandable.

I would assume most coaches feel the same way as you put on offense, besides being huge on TOP. Some of those high powered offenses score so quick TOP doesn’t mean much to them.

I am working myself towards the decision that if Kirk has Deacon 2nd on the depth chart I will not watch an Iowa game he starts. All Kirk does is give fans the middle finger.
Deacon is the starting QB until he isn't.

Pretty much the same old same old.
I don't see how any rational fan could disagree with what Kirk said to Dolph. This is the exact same approach the great Hayden Fry had, although a certain group of morons won't admit that. Nothing Kirk said puts any restrictions on the OC. Many people here just want to bitch. So have a nice time bitching.

• Love
Reactions: eyesofhawk
What Kirk (and some fans) are implying by saying ML shouldn’t see the field is that he would have been worse than Hill.

That’s unfathomable. It means Iowa recruits the worst possible QBs in the nation

Hill had something like 11 turnovers (fumbled & ints) and countless other fumbles lucky enough to recover

So Marco would have had to perform worse than that. If it’s possible

Hill couldn’t complete 50% of his passes. What Div 1 QB can’t hit that number ? Stanley was maddening with his accuracy and he was a 58-59%

We’d kill for that completion percentage again.

I just don’t get how Kirk can say protecting the football and chewing up the clock is the goal when he put out a QB who couldn’t do either.
He says illogical stuff like that because he thinks or knows he is untouchable as the head coach. He doesnt have to think real hard about what they do on offense each year.

We all know that in 2021 is when all the opponents started loading the box even more than before, 8 men a lot of the time. And it just stopped Iowa's offense what little there was of it in 2021 to a crawl.

I don't see how any rational fan could disagree with what Kirk said to Dolph. This is the exact same approach the great Hayden Fry had, although a certain group of morons won't admit that. Nothing Kirk said puts any restrictions on the OC. Many people here just want to bitch. So have a nice time bitching.
I sure hope I dont have to find this post of yours, for future replies, if the hawk offense does not change in any way with WRs split out farther and some other variations. with the same blocking and running and the same playcalling patterns.

Other teams have the hawks offense totally scouted out and they know all the tells. Proctor by himself is not going to overcome that.

After listening to Kirk's response during that pregame audio again. Not the ****ing tweets, the actual source.

I don't like how he responded to Dolph's question by doing an immediate double down. Seemed instantly defensive. Not a good look for an experienced (aging) coach.

KF was asked about the freedom the OC will have, and his answer was mostly spent talking about the defense. And ball security/field position.

It tells me that offense remains Kirk's blind spot. I don't see much changing. I just hope that Lester makes a more competent OC than his predecessor, and that he can at least get this offense's rankings back out of the triple digits.

“The bottom line is there's a lot of ways to move the ball and move the ball effectively. Have regard to time of possession, some of those thing".

In other words, the same BS. Ferentz is not a very smart man, but he might be the luckiest guy ever given Parkers and Barta. IMO.

LOL…of course you think that.

How do I take KF's comments? The same as always, by ignoring them.
He doesn't vary from his non-answer coach speak. It's a lot of "nothing to see here folks, move along."
Meaningful answers will only come from what we see on the field.

KF was asked about the freedom the OC will have, and his answer was mostly spent talking about the defense. And ball security/field position.

It tells me that offense remains Kirk's blind spot. I don't see much changing. I just hope that Lester makes a more competent OC than his predecessor, and that he can at least get this offense's rankings back out of the triple digits.
At this point, IMO, it is not a blind spot or ignorance. It is arrogance, but again JMO and we will see if Ferentz restricts another OC.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT