ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

Please list the ranking for each at the end of their senior year and what service you used. Because, I have the same thing as Lax. Thanks in advance.
I used Flo’s big board for as many years as I could. Then I had a few years of Intermat when I couldn’t get a Flo ranking. And a couple might have been quoted from articles. Maybe I read a few wrong. You guys would know better than me, and if more than one of you is saying I’m wrong, then I probably am.

I concede. My apologies for calling you “loose with facts” when it looks like I am the person more deserving of that moniker.

Last edited:
I was using commit as in the verbal.
A LOT can happen between a verbal and the NLI signing. See Thomas Haines for example. Still, there is no doubt PSU had an eye for talent, but these guys are almost all signing when they are VERY proven.

Even Cassar gets used for their one “diamond in the rough”, but the dude was a dominant, undefeated champ as a senior in arguably the 2nd hardest state tournament in the country(California and NJ have only 1 class). He also was on a super upward trajectory. They deserve kudos for noticing him, but he was NOT chopped liver when he signed.

I’d like to see your math on this. I just did the math and came up with an avg of 14.6. If PSU’s starting line up last year had been Dean and nine #1’s, they’d still be closer to 10 than 5.

digging a little deeper....

PSU:

Steen #12 (Howard #7)
RBY #12
Bartlett #4
Van Ness #4
Haines #7
Facundo #3
Starocci #9
Brooks #2
Dean #74
Kerkv #1

So PSU had 9 out of 10 weight classes with guys ranked in top 12 p4p coming out of HS. The exception was Dean at #74.

PSU wasn't exactly taking a big chance, needing to "develop" Dean, since he was an NCAA runnerup before transferring to PSU. Using his #74 ranking to make it look like PSU wasn't stacked to the eyeballs with top tier guys is very misleading.

For comparison, here's what Iowa had

Lee #2
Teske #34
Woods #21
Murin #44
Siebrect # not in top 100?
Kennedy #3
Brands #93
Assad #29
Warner #7
Cass #14

Pretty lopsided, no matter how you cut it.

Again, are you going by a verbal or an NLI?
Idk why this matters imo their final recruiting rankings are the best to go with here, because their entire high school story has been written.

Some recruits are late surges. Idk why it matters what someone was ranked when they verbaled or sighted their nil, when their full body of work hasn’t been shown yet. Imo you are calculating their rankings correctly.

Something that doesn’t get brought up enough when we discuss recruiting. Cael recruits athletes. Iowa doesn’t have half the raw athleticism that Penn st does. Not all top ten recruits or top 20 recruits are created equally.

Reactions: hlstone
When Carter committed, no even cared on this site because he was only 15 p4p. and wasn't deemed elite at the time.

Only #15...Carl sure does know how to roll the dice on those underdogs.

Season 11 Yes GIF by The Voice

That list only has 7 top 10s. Metcalf would make 8. Like I said, over Brands entire tenure he hasn't recruited as many top 10s as PSU has on just this years roster alone.

Also, here are the results of the top 10’s:

Metcalf 1,2,1 and lost a year transferring.
Evans (1-2),6,6,6
Lee 1,1,1,6
Kemerer 3,4,2,5
Marinelli 6,7,R12(inj),5
Warner 7,4,2,5
Ayala (1-2inj),?,?,?
Kennedy(2-2),?,?,?

So, they AA’d 21 out of 25 NCAA appearances with Metcalf being the ONLY one not able to wrestle all 4 years(Ayala and Kennedy are still eligible for 3 more). Of that 21, they have 5 Titles and 2 more 2nds. 19 of those 21 are top 6, which is really important for team scoring as 7th and 8th only score 4 and 3, respectively.

So for 1, tiltman’s being too injured to wrestle argument is 100% debunked.

Now, I WILL say that PSU has done an incredible job getting their guys to win it all, but Iowa has still done very well with the few top 10’s they have had. To be clear, they only average .5 top 10 recruits per year and PSU has double digits on their current roster…
Thank you for rounding up this info; I’ll give you props you’ll do your work to win a debate lol. I’m still going to disagree on the injury aspect though. Look at that list; Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli,Warner,Ayala, and I’m pretty sure Evans all battled serious injuries while wrestling for the Hawks. So 6 outta the 8 and we’re yet to see with Kennedy. I mean if you can’t see that injuries have seriously F’d us dude I don’t know what to tell ya. It’s not some coincidence that it’s happening at this rate to our wrestlers. We should’ve had more than 2 of those blue chip recruits win titles but I fully believe most of that had to do with injuries.

Thank you for rounding up this info; I’ll give you props you’ll do your work to win a debate lol. I’m still going to disagree on the injury aspect though. Look at that list; Lee, Kemerer, Marinelli,Warner,Ayala, and I’m pretty sure Evans all battled serious injuries while wrestling for the Hawks. So 6 outta the 8 and we’re yet to see with Kennedy. I mean if you can’t see that injuries have seriously F’d us dude I don’t know what to tell ya. It’s not some coincidence that it’s happening at this rate to our wrestlers. We should’ve had more than 2 of those blue chip recruits win titles but I fully believe most of that had to do with injuries.
Most DI NCAA Qualifiers are banged up going into NCAA's. It isn't just Iowa. Now, has Iowa had worse injuries to their top guys? Maybe. But, when you are the most visible program in the country(as much due to hate as to love) these things get magnified tenfold. Although I do think injuries are a legit reason to look to for underperformance, once they step on the mat, it doesn't matter.

Also, Lee being injury prone isn't an Iowa thing. It is CLEARLY a Spencer Lee thing. The guy just gets injured. He had two major injuries prior to even stepping foot on campus. Hell, by all accounts the staff did their best to give Lee a special training program to minimize his chances to get injured. It still happened.

Look, the brothers Brands absolutely need to shake things up to even have a chance to catch PSU. But, that doesn't mean they aren't great coaches. It also doesn't mean they aren't doing a bunch of things right. It just means PSU has done that much better than everyone else.

Make no mistake, if Iowa had a top 10 at every weight, they would be winning more titles. But, they don't and that IS A WEAKNESS. In my opinion, it is their MAJOR weakness. When Brands recruited the one big class for VTech, I thought he would keep recruiting like Cael has. However, it seems he thought Iowa would recruit itself. He also appeared to have the Gable mindset that he could make champions out of the guys that really wanted to be there and 100% bought in. The problem with that is, kids don't think that way anymore. The top kids are almost all already specialized by the time they hit a DI room. I don't care how great the room coaches are, you aren't averaging 30+ pound for pound recruits and even coming close to PSU, let alone beating them.

PSU is the perfect storm. A now fully awake giant, with the biggest name in DI wrestling at the helm. From the time he started coaching at ISU, he has been the best recruiter there has ever been. They are located in the best wrestling hotbed in the country. They have incredible funding. They have the best and most innovative room coaches there are. On top of all that, the NLWC is a literal Who's Who of International Wrestling. They are to the point where they could simply maintain and noone would catch them for the foreseeable future. But, they won't even do that. They will continue to adapt and innovate.

FInally, it isn't about injuries, or really even wrestling styles. It is about Marketing, Image and Branding(no pun intended). They need to find a way to sell themselves to the very best recruits. Create some type of edge to land more. Better identify what it takes to bring these guys in and MAKE it happen. All the other things do matter, but without the top recruits, those other things simply are NOT enough...

I think Carl is a much better coach than the Brands; the titles alone speak for themselves. Here’s a few examples off the top of my head of head to head comparisons.
RBY/Desanto- Desanto beats him the first year they wrestle then RBY blows by him due to his one arm behind the back game plan. RBY’s teammates weren’t coming up with that game plan for him. Somehow brands and Desanto were never able to figure out how to capitalize on that. All the while Desanto had a much better training partner in Lee and Eirman.

That's one of the wierdest things I've read here.

Nick Lee was a 2x NCAA champion who beat Eierman when it mattered. He's going to Final X against Yianni for the 65kg spot on the World championship team. Thomas Gilman has four senior Worlds/OLY medals and is actively wrestling at the highest level, whereas Spencer Lee was on the DL for Desanto's senior year and and just MFFd out of the US Open.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Most DI NCAA Qualifiers are banged up going into NCAA's. It isn't just Iowa. Now, has Iowa had worse injuries to their top guys? Maybe. But, when you are the most visible program in the country(as much due to hate as to love) these things get magnified tenfold. Although I do think injuries are a legit reason to look to for underperformance, once they step on the mat, it doesn't matter.

Also, Lee being injury prone isn't an Iowa thing. It is CLEARLY a Spencer Lee thing. The guy just gets injured. He had two major injuries prior to even stepping foot on campus. Hell, by all accounts the staff did their best to give Lee a special training program to minimize his chances to get injured. It still happened.

Look, the brothers Brands absolutely need to shake things up to even have a chance to catch PSU. But, that doesn't mean they aren't great coaches. It also doesn't mean they aren't doing a bunch of things right. It just means PSU has done that much better than everyone else.

Make no mistake, if Iowa had a top 10 at every weight, they would be winning more titles. But, they don't and that IS A WEAKNESS. In my opinion, it is their MAJOR weakness. When Brands recruited the one big class for VTech, I thought he would keep recruiting like Cael has. However, it seems he thought Iowa would recruit itself. He also appeared to have the Gable mindset that he could make champions out of the guys that really wanted to be there and 100% bought in. The problem with that is, kids don't think that way anymore. The top kids are almost all already specialized by the time they hit a DI room. I don't care how great the room coaches are, you aren't averaging 30+ pound for pound recruits and even coming close to PSU, let alone beating them.

PSU is the perfect storm. A now fully awake giant, with the biggest name in DI wrestling at the helm. From the time he started coaching at ISU, he has been the best recruiter there has ever been. They are located in the best wrestling hotbed in the country. They have incredible funding. They have the best and most innovative room coaches there are. On top of all that, the NLWC is a literal Who's Who of International Wrestling. They are to the point where they could simply maintain and noone would catch them for the foreseeable future. But, they won't even do that. They will continue to adapt and innovate.

FInally, it isn't about injuries, or really even wrestling styles. It is about Marketing, Image and Branding(no pun intended). They need to find a way to sell themselves to the very best recruits. Create some type of edge to land more. Better identify what it takes to bring these guys in and MAKE it happen. All the other things do matter, but without the top recruits, those other things simply are NOT enough...
All very true, it might sound obnoxious but PSU in wrestling is like the SEC in football. The last time a northern team won a national championship in football was the 2014 OSU team. Doesn't mean the other schools pack it in, it just means they need to step up their games.

I like shooting and the closest thing I can compare PSU to is the Glock corporation. There was incredible criticism in the gun industry and shooting community over Glocks. As popular as they are now, it was not universal. But their success lead almost all other companies to adopt similar technology using polymers etc. They had to do so to survive.

It's my opinion other schools will adapt and up their games, most likely the other big boys that are fighting for 2-5 first.

That and each injury happened in a match. RT ACL in 2019 NCAA finals, left 2021 Big Tens. Nothing Spencer or the staff could do.

Reactions: Exo and MSU158

It seems Tom has handed off the recruiting reins to M* and his brother. Show me any off campus pictures with recruits and it seems to be M* and secondarily Terry.

It's possible or maybe his strength in certain positions worked against his knee joints. He does seem quite strong.
He's incredibly flexible and frequently let guys put his knees in bad positions because he was able to maintain overall control. Served him well in the moment, but the amount of strain his knees underwent in scrambles was always scary.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
He's incredibly flexible and frequently let guys put his knees in bad positions because he was able to maintain overall control. Served him well in the moment, but the amount of strain his knees underwent in scrambles was always scary.
Could play a role. When Bo Jackson had the career ending hip fracture, an orthopedic surgeon said it was caused by his strength. Most players muscles would have given out before the bone fractured.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Makes great sense, we can often over power a muscle or joint by placing them in a somewhat vulnerable position. It happens, I mean this is grappling , that's what the sport is all about.

I see you keep posting this. Do you have any proof behind these offers other than Tweets from Pat and comments on here from Fester? You seem to be very confident in this, so I assume you have the proof.

No one is ever going to give you actual, real proof of this. People who know, know. And these are the people I trust. That's about the best I can do. Sorry--this is the internet.

I trust my people too, and they literally laughed when I asked about the numbers being thrown around. Keep pretending you have a clue though.
All I can say is if Iowa is throwing around six figure NIL deals to try and entice someone to come, I wonder what they are paying those to stay? You can't pay one and not the other and expect all to be good in the hood. Financial times must be quite prosperous.

Whether the actual figures are real or not the “the playing level is now equal” quote from Bob Nichols made many times on this forum reinforces Spooners stance.

Reactions: vhsalum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT